Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of LE congratulating other LE at the press conference. LE didn't drop the ball, but they also didn't win. That happens. Nobody can be perfect. But they should curtail the back slapping. At minimum, they should review their actions and inactions over the past 27 years and look for areas of potential improvement. For example, could there be a few persons that retrospectively review the determination that tire and show tracks were not a match? Was this decision prospectively peer reviewed at the time it was rendered? This comment is also applicable to the investigation about JS.

They had DNA evidence from assault on another boy yet for whatever reason they didn't test it until it was too late (statute of limitation expired). So I think the ball was dropped here. DNA testing has been around for quite some time, why did they wait over 20 years to test? My understanding, this was nuclear DNA test so these have been around for many years.

They wouldn't have been able to prosecute him for the murder without a body or other evidence. And the statute of limitations expired on another assaulted boy (for which they had DNA evidence), so they couldn't prosecute him for that either.
So, basically he was getting away with murder either way.
The question I have, why did they wait so long to do DNA testing on the assault of another boy? DNA testing wasn't available at the time of the assault, but it had been around for quite some time. Why wait until statute of limitation expired?

The statute of limitations at the time was only 3 years.

By the time DNA testing that would have been able to connect the earlier sexual assault to Heinrich became available, the Wetterling case had gone cold and testing only occurred after renewed public interest in the case spurred authorities to take another look at the case.

The statute of limitations at the time was only 3 years.

By the time DNA testing that would have been able to connect the earlier sexual assault to Heinrich became available, the Wetterling case had gone cold and testing only occurred after renewed public interest in the case spurred authorities to take another look at the case.

3 years seems ridiculously short for a sexual assault on a child. Still, if they done the test when testing became available, the perp presumably could have gone to prison a lot sooner (how long did he have his *advertiser censored* collection for? I presume it isn't recent).

He confessed to deliberately murdering the child after molesting him. Child didn't try to fight him or try to run away, he didn't somehow fell out of the car or had a heart attack. So at least people can stop speculating that the death was somehow "accidental," when clearly it was not. Too bad he is literally getting away with murder.

It was execution style murder. Cold blooded. :/ I do not know how the Wetterlings stayed calm in that courtroom. I would have lost it hearing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I have a difficult time believing anything this Heinrich fool says ; and think that it's entirely possible there could be more victims out there, alive or deceased.
Just seems like this wasn't the monster's first 'rodeo'.
Although he resided in MN --maybe he traveled to other states ? It's hard to contemplate DH became a stellar citizen after killing Jacob -- more like he became even bolder after seemingly getting away with murder.
MOO

There are times I've had to figuratively 'walk away' from this case as it's so horrific. Unfortunately the Wetterlings-- and to a lesser degree (maybe) the other known victim, Jared S.-- have never had this luxury. : (
This DH monster's life is worthless and I wish the media would stop showing his face.

I can't hope for closure for the Wetterlings' since my opinion is that it doesn't really exist , but I hope for them a measure of peace someday ; as well as continued healing for the family and for Jared too.

It was execution style murder. Cold blooded. :/ I do not know how the Wetterlings stayed calm in that courtroom. I would have lost it hearing that.

Exactly. Deliberate execution style murder.

Yes, I truly don't know how they did it. Hearing that story, about your child, your baby, crying, just wanting to get home...and some monster just worried about covering his own perverted self decides it would be best to murder him. Then bury him. Then dig him up, bury him again, and keep the secret for 27 years. There is not a hot enough place in hell for the likes of him. May God be with the Wetterlings, he will pay one day for his crimes against Jacob, I just hope the day comes soon.

3 years seems ridiculously short for a sexual assault on a child. Still, if they done the test when testing became available, the perp presumably could have gone to prison a lot sooner (how long did he have his *advertiser censored* collection for? I presume it isn't recent).

It is ridiculously short and thankfully, because of advances in DNA testing, the SOL has been changed to none at all.

Like I stated earlier, if it was worth it to the Wetterlings, it is enough for me...however, the irony of the fact people have searched for Jacob for 27 years and his murderer will only get 20 max is not lost upon me. I'm still digesting his story, and trying to decide what to believe out of it.

^^ Respectfully BBM

<snip>

Heinrich said he removed Jacob's handcuffs and touched him inappropriately. He said there was no penetration or oral sex.

<snip>

"I said, 'I can't take you all the way home,'" Heinrich said. "He started to cry. I said, 'Don't cry.'"

<snip>

Heinrich then said a patrol car with siren and lights came down the road, and he “panicked.” He said he loaded his revolver...

<snip>

“He didn’t know what I was doing,” Heinrich said in court.

<snip>

About a year later, Heinrich said he drove by the site where Jacob was buried and noticed that the grave was partially uncovered and that he could see Jacob’s red jacket above the ground.

http://kstp.com/news/danny-heinrich-court-appearance-jacob-wetterling/4255663/

If this is what he said today in court, I don't believe most of his so-called confession.

Prob went back close to the year anniversary to relive his depraved acts since he did not take any trophy with him as he had done with the earlier victim. Then, he prob saw the red jacket was partially visible and moved him.

He is very depraved and likely a pathological liar!

1. My gestalt is that his shoe treads look like the foot prints. No scientific method here, just common sense lay person assessment.
2. Did he not fail a lie detector test?

1. My gestalt is that his shoe treads look like the foot prints. No scientific method here, just common sense lay person assessment.
2. Did he not fail a lie detector test?

You can't build a case on just "it looks like the same shoe tread".

I don't know if he failed a lie detector but even if he did, lie detectors aren't admissible in court.

I think the might be lying about the police car excuse. Maybe he didn't want to say that he shot the poor boy because he wanted to, or needed to or was curious about what it would feel like. He may have said he saw a police car to give himself some cover for the vileness of his nature.

I agree with you Katydid. seems to be lying about that, distancing guilt still, without remorse, bargaining... trying to seem humane.

I think the might be lying about the police car excuse. Maybe he didn't want to say that he shot the poor boy because he wanted to, or needed to or was curious about what it would feel like. He may have said he saw a police car to give himself some cover for the vileness of his nature.

I agree, and I think he was.

Damn it. "What did I do wrong?" Jacob Wetterling

Isn't that just the most heartbreaking thing? Sweet little Jacob. If there is a heaven, I hope the almighty told him right away that he did nothing wrong.

Heinrich says he brought Jacob to his car, handcuffed him, put in front passenger seat. Jacob said "what did I do wrong ?

This is beyond upsetting...I am sick to my stomach for this innocent young soul and his family.

And that confirms, for me, that DR did see them that night.

So...

"Heinrich said he drove to Paynesville and turned off on Sewage Bond Road, stopping near a gravel pit in the area. Once there, Heinrich said he uncuffed Jacob and took him to a grove of trees."
-I could not find a road with this name. There are a few places near the water stream with a line of trees and field next to it. Having trouble finding a gravel pit in the 1990 aerial photo.

"Heinrich said he dragged Jacob about 100 yards to the northeast of where he was shot."

"Heinrich said his shovel wasn’t big enough, but he remembered there was a construction company nearby, so he went to see if a shovel was there. Heinrich said he found a Bobcat and knew where the company kept the key, so he returned to the site and dug a hole using the Bobcat, which is where he buried Jacob." -Could this be at Louis Industries just down the street? They appear to be a farm equipment dealer. How would he know where to find a key, wherever the place was?

http://kstp.com/news/danny-heinrich-court-appearance-jacob-wetterling/4255663/

Yes I commend LE as well.
---
The only reason why Heinrich confessed was because of the deal that was made.
It was agreed between the lawyers and families that he would not be convicted of murder or molestation.
He will only get a 20 year sentence and will be in a comfy federal prison.
This in exchange to tell them where he buried Jacob so the Wetterling family could finally have answers.

A deal was made with the devil and Heinrich used the child he murdered and molested as a bargaining chip - evil beyond words or comprehension.

If he didn't make a deal for which prison, maybe they can send him to the worst of the federal prisons, US Penitentiary Administrative Maximum in Florence, Colorado, not known for being comfy or cushy. Notable prisoners kept here are Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, shoe bomber Richard Reid, and Oklahoma City conspirator Terry Nichols.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/05/10-worst-prisons-america-part-1-adx

Known as ADX, and nicknamed the "Alcatraz of the Rockies," this is among the most secure prisons in the world&#8212;and one of the most isolating: Many of its cells, fashioned out of poured concrete with solid steel doors, are equipped with built-in showers and automated chutes that open onto private concrete "exercise yards," such that occupants need never see a guard or fellow prisoner&#8212;much less a visitor. One former warden interviewed by 60 Minutes called it "pretty close" to hell.

In 2015, Minnesota does not allow polygraph results in court.https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=611a.26
Anybody know about what the books said about lie detectors in 1989-90?

Agreed that you can't build a case on one thing, but how about all the other evidence that cause LE to question DH back in 1989? Does anybody else think that these things shouldn't be looked at again?

Agreed that you can't build a case on one thing, but how about all the other evidence that cause LE to question DH back in 1989? Does anybody else think that these things shouldn't be looked at again?

In order to investigate which case?

So much of the account today seems inexplicable but I guess nothing is as inexplicable as the choice to torment and murder a child. I agree with those that have said that the Defendant has portrayed himself is a suspiciously sympathetic light in some aspects of the offense. Contrast what we know was said and done to JS which of course isnt as easily lied about --as JS lived to tell.

I suppose we won't know exactly what was said vertabim unless a transcript was obtained, but this news account makes it sound like he walked back to the site on foot with a shovel? http://bringmethenews.com/2016/09/0...guilty-on-child-*advertiser censored*-charge/

It also seems unbelievable that if he was so skittish about police that he panicked and shot Jacob without really planning to, that he voluntarily returned to the scene with a shovel, stole a bobcat, blah blah when Stearns Co deputies were activated and responding to the abduction that night And then the bothering to dig up and relocate the remains a year later only a short distance away. I guess liars are gonna lie and at least his freedom has ended and everyone knows what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010