Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely see why his parents made the plea. I am just sad/scared that he could get out, as someone unrelated to the case, the living children he has the potential to still hurt are more important. But of course JW's parents needed to know where he was and what happened. Its just a terrifying trade off.

IF he ever gets out of prison, I think he will be in a lot of danger himself.

Why was this the only deal and the best deal?

If it went to trial, he may have gotten of with a NOT GUILTY. I don't think they wanted to try a 27 yr old case because so many things can fall apart.

In honor of Patty's request to keep things positive, I suggest everyone stop with the comments about being killed in prison, he'll get what's coming to him, etc. The Wetterling's got their boy back (obviously not how they hoped) and now they can begin the next chapter.

I think it's safe to say we all have the same feelings about DH.

Agree 100% re: the 27 years of life he led as a free man.

Yes, I think he was free. He has no remorse so no sleepless nights.

He felt perfectly comfortable to move Jacob so he must not have felt paranoia. I wonder if he did other crimes

If it went to trial, he may have gotten of with a NOT GUILTY. I don't think they wanted to try a 27 yr old case because so many things can fall apart.

I think that this was a once in a lifetime chance for them to get the details and the confession. If that rat Dropped dead of a heart attack or something, they would never have found Jacob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not aware of any other victims later after Jacob. Why did he let other victims go and not Jacob? His impression is because he heard a police car go by..

I think the might be lying about the police car excuse. Maybe he didn't want to say that he shot the poor boy because he wanted to, or needed to or was curious about what it would feel like. He may have said he saw a police car to give himself some cover for the vileness of his nature.

I think the might be lying about there police car excuse. Maybe he didn't want to say that he shot the poor boy because he wanted to, or needed to or was curious about what it would feel like. He may have said he saw a police car to give himself some cover for the vileness of his nature.

I don't get the sense that he wanted to shoot him. I guess the decision to do so bought him 27 years of freedom.

How could he be scared by a cop car going by, but didn't think shooting a gun off would attract attention??? That part just doesn't make much sense.

How could he be scared by a cop car going by, but didn't think shooting a gun off would attract attention??? That part just doesn't make much sense.

I am sure he waited until police car was gone.

They had no evidence to prosecute it without any evidence or the body. But if he went to regular prison for *advertiser censored* he would have had much harder time. So the deal was, I am sure, for the parents to have closure. Otherwise what would be the point of the deal?

Can you imagine being the family in the courtroom , listening to the testimony and looking at that monster.

I know he lived a life of hell as a child. He is all grown up now.

Wherever and why the abuse happened with Duane Hart, it led to this. Hopefully, this is the end of that legacy.

I don't get the sense that he wanted to shoot him. I guess the decision to do so bought him 27 years of freedom.

He got away with assaulting another boy (whom he left alive). So he could have gotten away with this crime even if he left the boy alive.

He got away with assaulting another boy (whom he left alive). So he could have gotten away with this crime even if he left the boy alive.

There were no LE looking for Jared. He heard what was going down with Jacob. But he could have let him go.,He could have driven in some other direction and let Jacob go. Maybe he did not have enough gas.

Like I stated earlier, if it was worth it to the Wetterlings, it is enough for me...however, the irony of the fact people have searched for Jacob for 27 years and his murderer will only get 20 max is not lost upon me. I'm still digesting his story, and trying to decide what to believe out of it.

Been following today's news since it came out. I'll post my two cents after I finish vomiting.

Like I stated earlier, if it was worth it to the Wetterlings, it is enough for me...however, the irony of the fact people have searched for Jacob for 27 years and his murderer will only get 20 max is not lost upon me. I'm still digesting his story, and trying to decide what to believe out of it.

They wouldn't have been able to prosecute him for the murder without a body or other evidence. And the statute of limitations expired on another assaulted boy (for which they had DNA evidence), so they couldn't prosecute him for that either.
So, basically he was getting away with murder either way.
The question I have, why did they wait so long to do DNA testing on the assault of another boy? DNA testing wasn't available at the time of the assault, but it had been around for quite some time. Why wait until statute of limitation expired?

Lots of LE congratulating other LE at the press conference. LE didn't drop the ball, but they also didn't win. That happens. Nobody can be perfect. But they should curtail the back slapping. At minimum, they should review their actions and inactions over the past 27 years and look for areas of potential improvement. For example, could there be a few persons that retrospectively review the determination that tire and show tracks were not a match? Was this decision prospectively peer reviewed at the time it was rendered? This comment is also applicable to the investigation about JS.

For 27 years the Wetterling Family, as well as many posters here, wanted answers. Sadly the who, what, when, and where have been answered, but I don't think anyone will ever be able to rationalize the why....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Littlebit62