Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the press conference the question was asked if they knew of any other victims after Jacob and the answer was no - or not that I'm aware of. Maybe they do know of more and they're keeping that to use later as a totally seperate case so they can put him away longer than 20 years.

i wonder too.

They were not shy about naming DH as a POI for JW last fall when he was charged in the prn case. Here in MN it was all over the media including DH's picture and background. I bet LE really hoped that would trigger people coming forward -either potential victims or people who might have seen something suspicious or that he might have said something to. Now 10 or 11 months went by and I haven't heard of any new info that developed since his arrest---which I guess points out that they REALLY needed this confession from him, because they were not finding more evidence tying him to JW.

"He will not do that in a cushy federal prison; this will be a penitentiary," Heffelfinger said.

"And 20 years is a long sentence. It is an appropriate length sentence when you consider in exchange for that we were able to give the Wetterling family the closure that they have not had for 27 years."

http://kstp.com/news/tom-thomas-heffelfinger-former-us-attorney-jacob-wetterling-plea-deal/4256009/

So I'm getting a conflicting signal here, is he going to federal or straight penitentiary?

He's going to a federal penitentiary. Here's a list of them. I don't think any are in Minnesota.

Allenwood USP
Atlanta USP
Atwater USP
Beaumont USP
Big Sandy USP
Canaan USP
Coleman II USP
Coleman I USP
Florence ADMAX USP
Florence - High USP
Hazelton USP
Leavenworth USP
Lee USP
Lewisburg USP
Lompoc USP
Marion USP
McCreary USP
Pollock USP
Terre Haute USP
Tucson USP
Victorville USP
Yazoo City USP

He's going to a federal penitentiary. Here's a list of them. I don't think any are in Minnesota.

Allenwood USP
Atlanta USP
Atwater USP
Beaumont USP
Big Sandy USP
Canaan USP
Coleman II USP
Coleman I USP
Florence ADMAX USP
Florence - High USP
Hazelton USP
Leavenworth USP
Lee USP
Lewisburg USP
Lompoc USP
Marion USP
McCreary USP
Pollock USP
Terre Haute USP
Tucson USP
Victorville USP
Yazoo City USP

Send the Monster to Leavenworth or Yazoo City, sounds good to me.

Paynesville, MN to Des Moines, IA is only about a 4.5 hr drive.

Just saying.

John Gosch Sept. 5 1982

Eugene Martin Aug. 12 1984

Marcus James Warren Allen March 29 1986.

All from Des Moines, IA.

Isn't that his whole story? What difference does it make if he used Bobcat or not? How does it change any outcome for him? He isn't going to be prosecuted for the murder regardless of whether he used a shovel, or a Bobcat.

I come to WS because of the discussion. If I just wanted the news, I'd stick to the news sites.

Different people are interested in different aspects of cases. For example, I generally am not interested in trials in court. My interest is more in puzzling together pieces of a case. This bobcat detail is an odd-fitting piece in the puzzle and it interests me. That interest in no way means that I am not touched by this case.

But, I also am interested in details, with the acknowledgement that not everyone on WS shares my particular interest....but some usually do.

I appreciate having a place to discuss cases with others.

jmo

I come to WS because of the discussion. If I just wanted the news, I'd stick to the news sites.

Different people are interested in different aspects of cases. For example, I generally am not interested in trials in court. My interest is more in puzzling together pieces of a case. This bobcat detail is an odd-fitting piece in the puzzle and it interests me. That interest in no way means that I am not touched by this case.

But, I also am interested in details, with the acknowledgement that not everyone on WS shares my particular interest....but some usually do.

jmo

*slow clap*

jmo

I do too. I come here for the discussion because when I go down to the local gas station here and try to discuss cases like this in detail the people look at me like I'm nuts!

As far as the details and whether there are lies, it IS VERY important. Knowing these things tell us so much for future cases. This is how a data base of general ideas is built on how to look for guilty predators, how to look for possible burial sites, how to look for lies and WHY a person is lying.

derickson -
You're story is heartbreaking - I'm so sorry.
I've followed this case since it happened and I would have to say that my interests are mostly because I live in MN about an hour or so from where this happened and I was a couple years older than JW at the time. In addition to that JW's grandfather either worked or made frequent visits to the same building that my mom's office was in. His grandfather had Jacob's Missing poster attached to the backseat windows on both sides of his station wagon. I remember seeing that station wagon with Jacob's missing posters years after his abduction and it always stopped me in my tracks. In 1989 things like this didn't happen in MN - it really did capture all of Minnesota's attention.

I do too. I come here for the discussion because when I go down to the local gas station here and try to discuss cases like this in detail the people look at me like I'm nuts!

As far as the details and whether there are lies, it IS VERY important. Knowing these things tell us so much for future cases. This is how a data base of general ideas is built on how to look for guilty predators, how to look for possible burial sites, how to look for lies and WHY a person is lying.

After 27 years, nobody ever is going to be able to prove if he used the Bobcat or not.

jmo

Excellent. People bring up things I never thought about. Or they bring up things that show what I am thinking cannot be true.

How amazing is Patty Wetterling to be able to stand and give such a statement after hearing things about her son's final moments that filled complete strangers with grief and horror?

To have the presence of mind to gratefully acknowledge JS and the Paynesville victims. To even gracefully thank the defense attorneys who worked on the plea deal. To end by talking of the work to do to protect other kids.

In a world where there are people like the man who did this, there are also people like her.

jmo

I agree - being able to sleuth and discuss what you are interested in on cases is what makes webslueths so great!

Quite honestly I'm very surprised after reading your accounting here that you were wondering WHY you were interested in Jacob's case? Do you think you have become that detached from what happened to you and your best friend? (Common to do that you know after that much trauma).

Also, have you ever considered your Uncle as a suspect in Eugene's disappearance? That would be a logical first place for me to look.

Thank you for sharing this. I hope you have a chance to talk with a qualified counselor about it.

Fair question--am i detached? No--I just try not to let it rule my life. I am however cautious on where my kids are and who they are with. Good q about Eugene and my uncle. Just by chance, the lead investigator went to my church and I was able to let him know about my uncle. He told me he wouldn't believe anybody even if they confessed until he saw a body. At the time I met Jim, my uncle was in prison for the second time on molestation charges--the more serious one where he enticed a kid away from his home. He ended up dying in prison so we will never know about Eugene. LE did tell me they knew of about 70 kids or more he had contact with. I had also previously told Jim (Eugene's investigator) that my uncle (let's just call him Frank) would have had access to both Eugene and Johnny Gosch because my dad delivered the newspaper, and many times my uncle went with him (unfortunately he lived next door to us for about 4 years). I recalled a time downtown des moines Sunday pick up--all the carriers came in on a Saturday night or Sunday morning to put the paper together and then band them. Frank would walk around talking to the kids there and adults sometimes. So Frank did have access and also had the same car that had been spotted--it was actually a green chevelle with primer on it. I told Jim that too but he said he already interviewed the man with the car and it was not him. So, back to square one. I don't know if he did it, but he was dangerous-that I know.

Did not expect so many details to be released! Truly tragic encounter stemming from one man's evil and lack of impulse control. CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE HE CAN GET OUT IN 20 YEARS! He is a danger to children. Is there any way that the public can petition or anything to keep him away from kids? Is he even registered as a sex offender at this point...? Glad the family finally got closure, but this is not even close to ending.

So--I was thinking about this today--Why am I so interested in this case? It finally dawned on me this afternoon. I wanted to know what would have happened to me if this man had gotten ahold of me. Would I have cried out? asked to go home? Today has been unnerving to say the least. Looking back, it is hard to believe all that happened to me within a span of months, but it did. Nothing that dramatic like that has happened to me since then--at least not in a bad way. I guess today I put myself in his shoes and from experience, I could empathize with how he must have felt. So I ask you all--why are you so interested in this case? I'd like to know--maybe it will help me stop shaking and go to sleep--

Thanks for sharing your story, derickson. I'm sorry this happened to you. You're lucky to have followed your instincts to get away, but unfortunately at the cost of your friend. I'm interested in many cases, this included. I think that it's important to figure out how to spot a perp, as well as how to get away (i.e. I've learned that guns are mostly empty threats whether loaded or not and to never let anyone transport you to a second location, etc). Also, I think these victims do deserve compassion and to not be forgotten till found and it is partially up to us here, by keeping discussion alive.

Good points, but then why bury him on someone's farm, especially if it is planned? Why not in the other direction, further from town? Why would someone plan a site like that? Granted, it may be that the burial sites are very close by. I still haven't pinned down where the first burial site was.

Maybe he knew the people who owned the land so it wouldn't look suspicious if he dropped by. Or one of his family members used to own the land and he was comfortable and familiar enough with it. It's extremely likely he knew the back roads he was driving on, as well as where he stopped.

After 27 years, nobody ever is going to be able to prove if he used the Bobcat or not.

You'd be surprised for how long construction equipment can just lay around in rural areas. Although, maybe not in this case.

TRUST!!!!!

People will be looking into this for YEARS to come.

Good and bad!

He wasn't going to go on "living" for long if they put him in general population on child *advertiser censored* conviction. Now he is going to be in a nice federal prison among people of similar persuasion.

And the family would still not know where Jacob was. I know it's not ideal but at least the family knows and the deserve that. Aside from that, we all assume he would be killed but how often do we really hear of someone being killed in prison? Everyone is acting like it's a given he would have been taken care of in there. Sure they are probably treated like dirt but it was hardly a guarantee of a vigilante death sentence. Jared from Subway is in on CP charges AND a sex crime and he's still alive. He got what, 15 years? And again, the family would still not know what happened to Jacob, that is the most important thing to me. We don't even have any guarantee of what kind of sentence DH would have received with just what they had on him, he might have spent less time in jail, or the same amount of time. If I was in the family's situation and had no idea what might happen to DH but had a chance to get answers on what happened to my child after all this time I would have done exactly the same thing.

Did not expect so many details to be released! Truly tragic encounter stemming from one man's evil and lack of impulse control. CANNOT EVEN BELIEVE HE CAN GET OUT IN 20 YEARS! He is a danger to children. Is there any way that the public can petition or anything to keep him away from kids? Is he even registered as a sex offender at this point...? Glad the family finally got closure, but this is not even close to ending.

Thanks for sharing your story, derickson. I'm sorry this happened to you. You're lucky to have followed your instincts to get away, but unfortunately at the cost of your friend. I'm interested in many cases, this included. I think that it's important to figure out how to spot a perp, as well as how to get away (i.e. I've learned that guns are mostly empty threats whether loaded or not and to never let anyone transport you to a second location, etc). Also, I think these victims do deserve compassion and to not be forgotten till found and it is partially up to us here, by keeping discussion alive.

Maybe he knew the people who owned the land so it wouldn't look suspicious if he dropped by. Or one of his family members used to own the land and he was comfortable and familiar enough with it. It's extremely likely he knew the back roads he was driving on, as well as where he stopped.

You'd be surprised for how long construction equipment can just lay around in rural areas. Although, maybe not in this case.

Regarding your first point he can be civilly committed after he is released from federal prison which can keep him off the streets for the rest of his life, if he makes it through prison. Personally I don't think he will, I think he's gonna be one of those bastards that has a heart attack and dies within a few years, just my feeling.

For all practical purposed DH is going to spend the rest of his life in jail .... not sure why everybody is jumping up and down and acting like he will be released in a couple of years.

This whole situation would be more grievous if he only got a few years for child *advertiser censored* and never admitted to killing Jacob even though police knew he likely did it.

We cant have it both ways .... DH solved the Wetterling file without a trial and without solid evidence against him .... and technically he avoided a life sentence for murder ..... nevertheless he will still serve a life sentence based on the *advertiser censored* ..... and any chance of parole will be denied because of the murder confession .

LOL, I know just what you mean. No one I know personally cares about the cases I follow, they show no interest in missing persons cases, or any case, so I stopped even bringing it up a long time ago. Sometimes I think they think I have a screw loose or something, but we know better don't we? :) :websleuther:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum