Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm a little confused by all of this.

In 1989 I thought it was routine to take a "swab" of biological fluids in all rape cases and save them for future comparisons. Forensic DNA technology was a available but there was no data bases available for comparison and the sequencing was very expensive so they would probably not do it unless it was considered warranted. Is it possible that because Jared was a boy, there was no swab? At that time, it was probably considered a "minor" child molestation case, at least in Stearns County.

DNA that came from sources other than biological fluids has always been a lot more difficult to collect and sequence and its use in court has only recently been accepted. It may be perfectly reasonable that testing Jared's cloths didn't happen until fairly recently.

This all raises the question of the exact sequence of events that led to Heinrich's arrest.
I thought he had been arrested in a child *advertiser censored* case that was unrelated to the Jared or Jacob investigation. This led to the collection oh his DNA. According to the podcast, a search warrant was served pertaining to Jacob's case and the child *advertiser censored* was found. There was the implication that the basis for the search warrant was the "match" between Heinrich's DNA and the sample from Jared's shirt. This would mean they had Heinrich's DNA all along. (How did they get it?). It also suggests that it was the publicity about the Paynesville cases that prompted the FBI to "reopen" the investigation. (Or was this just a "coincidence") What is the story here?

I believe that a DNA “swab” (or “buccal” swab) generally refers to a sample of the fluid on the inside cheek of a person that is obtained by an actual “Q-Tip” like swab. It is a relatively non-invasive method of taking a sample from a person for the purpose of testing that person’s DNA. It is also true that bodily fluids at a crime scene may be collected through the use of such a swab.
You are certainly correct in realizing that in a criminal forensics situation, a DNA sample from an alleged suspect must be obtained as a “reference sample” in order to compare that person’s DNA with the DNA that was found in the fluids “left behind” by the perpetrator at the scene of the crime. Although a large nationwide DNA database did not exist in 1989, the necessary DNA sample from a known suspect could be obtained voluntarily or pursuant to court order. In this case, Heinrich voluntarily gave LE a sample of his hair in, I believe, early 1990. It is my understanding thatHeinrich’s hair sample was sufficient enough so that it could be tested forHeinrich’s DNA.

My point is that LE should have obtained Heinrich’s DNA “reference sample” – voluntarily or by court order – in January 1989 and submitted that sample, along with Jared’s sweatshirt, to a DNA lab for DNA testing. Even if the report that came back from the DNA lab was that the sample on Jared’s sweatshirt was insufficient to test for DNA, perhaps the blood type of Jared’s abductor could have been obtained through an ABO blood type test of the sweatshirt. If the blood type of Jared’s abductor as determined from the testing of Jared’s sweatshirt matched Heinrich’s blood type, LE could have arrested Heinrich in 1989 instead of 1990. Moreover, LE would have had evidence sufficient to charge Heinrich with Jared’s abduction and assault and wouldn’t have had to let him go.

You seemed to be referencing “touch DNA” testing results versus “bodily fluid” DNA testing. It was my understanding that Jared’s sweatshirt sleeve contained “bodily fluid” DNA that was placed there when Jared wiped his mouth on his sleeve after
the sexual assault upon him. If I am wrong in that regard, I apologize.

It isinteresting to note that in 1989 the Minnesota Legislature enacted a law that mandated the acceptance of DNA test analysis in Minnesota courts, both civil and criminal, without the necessity of prior expert witness foundational testimony.The law was signed by the Governor of Minnesota on June 1, 1989, and the law’s effective date was August 1, 1989 – thus AFTER Jared’s assault but BEFORE Jacob’s abduction. That law was codified in Minnesota Statutes Section 634.25, which currently states as follows:

634.25 ADMISSIBILITY OF RESULTS OF DNA ANALYSIS.
In a civil or criminal trial or hearing, the results of DNA analysis, as defined in section 299C.155, are admissible in evidence without antecedent expert testimony that DNA analysis provides a trustworthy and reliable method of identifying characteristics in an individual's genetic material upon a showing that the offered testimony meets the standards for admissibility set forth in the Rules of Evidence.

It is also interesting to note that in 1989, in the same legislative bill which contained the above-referenced language regarding DNA testing, the Minnesota Legislature also took care of the “population frequency problem” in the Schwartz case I referred to in my earlier post (Post #590, above) by authorizing the use of statistical probability frequency evidence in connection with DNA or blood-type “genetic marker” testing. That part of the legislative bill was codified in Minnesota Statutes Section 634.26, which currently states as follows:

634.26 STATISTICAL PROBABILITY EVIDENCE.
In a civil or criminal trial or hearing, statistical population frequency evidence, based on genetic or blood test results, is admissible to demonstrate the fraction of the population that would have the same combination of genetic markers as was found in a specific human biological specimen. "Genetic marker" means the various blood types or DNA types that an individual may possess.

1989 was not the Dark Ages, as some people would have us believe. DNA testing and analysis was alive and well and widely accepted. Undoubtedly, DNA testing has advanced in the years since 1989, but to excuse LE from even submitting Jared’s sweatshirt for DNA testing – or for blood type testing – on the basis that such testing was impossible back then is incorrect and, in my opinion, is unwarranted.

Hm. We have a difference of opinion as to the ability of doing DNA testing on Jared's sweatshirt.

RIP Jacob. Although you have been found, I still have a light on for you tonight on this somber anniversary.

He physically died but his spirit lives on. Now there are the 11 positive traits to strive for. There is other work to be done .

For 27 years some of us have prayed, cried, hoped, searched for Jacob.

I want to know things about this situation that impacted so many lives tremendously. From the outpouring of so many intense comments on different websites, it is amazing how many of us were intensely affected.

Forget. No never
Of course his Spirit lives on....that is without saying. I NEVER said "forget". That is your implication. Jacob Wetterling will NEVER be forgotten, by me or by the world at large. I said "it is time to let him go". There's a big difference between that and forgetting. How does discussing the details help? It may help Jacob's parents to understand what actually happened....but beyond that ...what? Are there other victims? What is the point? What other "work" is to be done?

The language in Shane Ball's court filing says that LE FINALLY were able to get DNA from Jared's clothing in 2012. That's significant because it shows there was still belief by at least one investigative agency that the cases were linked. Remember that Sanner had broken that link in naming DR a suspect in 2010. He actually broke that link in 2004.

Sanner...... the missing link.

Of course his Spirit lives on....that is without saying. I NEVER said "forget". That is your implication. Jacob Wetterling will NEVER be forgotten, by me or by the world at large. I said "it is time to let him go". There's a big difference between that and forgetting. How does discussing the details help? It may help Jacob's parents to understand what actually happened....but beyond that ...what? Are there other victims? What is the point? What other "work" is to be done?

Are there other victims? There's no way of knowing if we just drop the case now that JW is found. And yes, after-action review of law enforcement actions to assess what worked and what didn't is praiseworthy.

One is getting victims to see they are not victims To deal with the emtional pain. There is so much self destruction with victims.

One is getting victims to see they are not victims To deal with the emtional pain. There is so much self destruction with victims.

To accommodate all the new people coming to Websleuths because of the docuseries we are moving to a much bigger and faster server.

This is just a reminder that the Websleuths forum will be down starting Wednesday (tomorrow) at 6 PM Eastern. We hope to be back up by Thursday morning.

Members can check for updates on Twitter and Facebook.

Did Danny show the authorities where he killed Jacob and buried him the first time?
Is Danny being closely watched in his jail cell so something untoward doesn't happen to him?

Did Danny show the authorities where he killed Jacob and buried him the first time?
Is Danny being closely watched in his jail cell so something untoward doesn't happen to him?

I don't think he showed them the first burial site. I could be wrong. Adding to the confusion, his statement in court was that he dragged him 100 yards away and then buried him there. To piggyback on human's question if they're searching this first site: on the last episode of the In The Dark podcast it was mentioned that they did go back with metal detectors to search. There wasn't any mention of finding anything. I would think that all spots would have been searched extensively before Jacob's final burial. I hope there's no more of his remains just out there laying around still.

It's not underwater. You can see it on Google maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Someone on here said it floods.

The thought of that "thing " moving Jacob makes me ill. There is no humanity in him

Thanks. Someone on here said it floods.

The thought of that "thing " moving Jacob makes me ill. There is no humanity in him

Of course there isn't any humanity to him! Good Grief! Get a Grip! The fact that he would be willing to disinter Jacob's remains tells you what he IS.

Of course there isn't any humanity to him! Good Grief! Get a Grip! The fact that he would be willing to disinter Jacob's remains tells you what he IS.

Um, it is said everyone has some good in them. Not seeing it with Heinrich

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj
Back