Rescue at sea for sick baby

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In her latest blog, she says the Rebel Heart will be back. Was the boat insured? Will they take this money, buy another boat, and be back on the seas?

No lesson learned! JMO

Not sure a boat is insured for deliberately sinking it, which is exactly what they did as a safety precaution rather than abandon it. More than one person stated the boat could have made it back to the US by sail. Eric had a choice and he chose his family over the boat. If they made poor choices up to that point I'm sure they learned from it. In the end he did what he felt he had to do which shows he had his priorities straight at that point in time.

I would take from what they appear to be saying is that they both intend to work towards getting another boat which could take years but there is nothing wrong with them wanting to continue sailing. I would hope they get a bigger boat next time. jmo

I would take from what they appear to be saying is that they both intend to work towards getting another boat which could take years but there is nothing wrong with them wanting to continue sailing. I would hope they get a bigger boat next time. jmo

Well, if it takes them another 7 years, at least the girls will be able to swim by then, and perhaps enjoy the trip. I can't imagine the mother will agree to try it again after the nightmarish experience.

With the kids and herself being thrown all over, I cannot imagine she would attempt to boil water. Stove is not equipped with pot locks.

she posted about rinsing the diapers in the sink on march 26, yet it seems they managed to boil water for coffee on subsequent days...

Did she say she used cold water to wash the diapers? It is possible they were soaked in a bucket in cold soapy water and she rinsed them in hot water in the sink. Even if she were to take a lot of precautions it is not preferable to wash cloth diapers by hand. Just way to risky unless you have a lot of bleach to kill the bacteria. Diaper duty would be a full time task. jmo

LambChop,
I agree that their boat probably is not covered by insurance since they sunk it.

You eloquently stated that Eric chose to stay with his family. JMO, he had no options as he was in over his head - not trained or capable to handle the rough sea they were in. Plus, the various repots of things wrong with the boat.

I do hope he realizes how important his family is. Time will tell. :seeya:

LambChop,
I agree that their boat probably is not covered by insurance since they sunk it.

You eloquently stated that Eric chose to stay with his family. JMO, he had no options as he was in over his head - not trained or capable to handle the rough sea they were in. Plus, the various repots of things wrong with the boat.

I do hope he realizes how important his family is. Time will tell. :seeya:

Regarding him choosing to stay with his family-where else was he going to stay? Wasn't the boat taking in water? How would he have gotten it back?

Well, if it takes them another 7 years, at least the girls will be able to swim by then, and perhaps enjoy the trip. I can't imagine the mother will agree to try it again after the nightmarish experience.

I think she'll try it again exactly for that reason. We shall see and it will say a lot, if you ask me.

Regarding him choosing to stay with his family-where else was he going to stay? Wasn't the boat taking in water? How would he have gotten it back?

Not sure but I believe in the report with the National Guardsman, he stated that when the engine was running it would take on water but it was possible to use the sails to get the boat back into port. I'm not a sailor so I don't know how true that would be, or how difficult. If it was true then he could have stayed with the Rebel Heart and turned back. There is something about a child coming so close to death (which was confirmed by the officer) that is a wakeup call to a parent. Children with high fevers dehydrate very fast and they obviously had no IV's aboard so the baby would not have lasted too much longer without professional help. jmo

Not sure but I believe in the report with the National Guardsman, he stated that when the engine was running it would take on water but it was possible to use the sails to get the boat back into port. I'm not a sailor so I don't know how true that would be, or how difficult. If it was true then he could have stayed with the Rebel Heart and turned back. There is something about a child coming so close to death (which was confirmed by the officer) that is a wakeup call to a parent. Children with high fevers dehydrate very fast and they obviously had no IV's aboard so the baby would not have lasted too much longer without professional help. jmo

They didn't even have the proper medication on board for the children. They were giving Lyra adult medication that they packed for themselves, I assume, not thinking of the children - typical of their mentality.

She was washed her dirty, disgusting razer that she shaved her legs in - in the same blender bowl she uses to prepare food! It still burns me every time I read about them - how Charlotte lied to her daughter when she asked for a piece of cake that her mother baked, because she smelled it while following asleep the night before. Sorry, still can't get over this!!

They didn't even have the proper medication on board for the children. They were giving Lyra adult medication that they packed for themselves, I assume, not thinking of the children - typical of their mentality.

She was washed her dirty, disgusting razer that she shaved her legs in - in the same blender bowl she uses to prepare food! It still burns me every time I read about them - how Charlotte lied to her daughter when she asked for a piece of cake that her mother baked, because she smelled it while following asleep the night before. Sorry, still can't get over this!!

I can't either, she is a low life in my opinion. I feel so sorry for those kids that they have a very selfish mother and father.

I hear you and I pretty much agree. Having a baby does not in any way shape or form make you an expert on raising a child. They do not come with manuals and many a young parent will make mistakes that later when they look back they wonder how they made it through those years with a healthy child. Someone that would write some of the things she has on her blog tells me that Charlotte lacks enough experience to raise a child and obviously did not think she was doing anything to harm her child. Experience is the best teacher but it's not always without some painful lessons.

For me, the trip would have come first and then once I returned back to the US I would have considered having children. But that is just me. It is so dangerous with a pool on your property with small children much less an ocean as your yard. Plus to keep a 3 year-old confined to a small cabin most of the time is not something I would want to do. Not for myself, nor for the child. jmo

...many a young parent will make mistakes that later when they look back they wonder how they made it through those years with a healthy child. Someone that would write some of the things she has on her blog tells me that Charlotte lacks enough experience to raise a child...

Parents in their mid-30's are hardly young parents. And Charlotte came from a family of 7, and I don't think she was among the youngest, so she almost certainly observed some parenting, whether she participated in it or not. I always try to take the charitable view of other people's parenting mistakes, 'cause we all make them, but what they did seems pretty near inexcusable.

Parents in their mid-30's are hardly young parents. And Charlotte came from a family of 7, and I don't think she was among the youngest, so she almost certainly observed some parenting, whether she participated in it or not. I always try to take the charitable view of other people's parenting mistakes, 'cause we all make them, but what they did seems pretty near inexcusable.

Not LambChop :)
but I don't believe LC was referring to the age of the parents.
I think LC was referring to the couple being parents of young children.

Hell first time parents aka new parents can be in their 40s and beyond.
I dont care how old this couple is >>> IMOO they were thoughtless and careless and neglectful. ugh

Not LambChop :)
but I don't believe LC was referring to the age of the parents.
I think LC was referring to the couple being parents of young children.

Hell first time parents aka new parents can be in their 40s and beyond.
I dont care how old this couple is >>> IMOO they were thoughtless and careless and neglectful. ugh

That was exactly what I meant and at my age, truthfully, they look young. LOL I should have said seasoned. Some children are raised in a household where they are actively involved in raising the children. Mom instructing them on how to change diapers, what to do if there is a rash, making sure they wash their hands before touching a new baby, etc.

I personally think that all upper level middle schools or the lower grades in high school should make it mandatory to have classes on child care. Teens somehow have the impression that baby, just by some miracle, can raise themselves. What a shock when they find out the truth. jmo

For me, the whole cake thing summarized the priorities of the " adults" totally...
No excuse for that-ever ! None!
This trip wasn't about " let's experience an adventure, as a family, live free on the sea.. Etc." ...
It was about, "oh look how cool we are sailing around with our little ones...
LOOK AT US! LOOK AT US! Aren't we the best...so hip, so IT... Oh dear...the little ones seem to be cramping our style..what a drag..but still..aren't we just the coolest? Damn...when will they sleep already- so that Eric and I can eat, drink, have alone time..have Our adventure..."

Poor little ones relegated to an area hardly bigger than a prison cell..one trying to learn to walk..the other darling missing her life on land where she had friends, a pool, ac, adventures, a place to run and giggle and LIVE the life of a three year old...
There are no excuses...
I love sailing - for a couple of hours... I am an adult...it's a choice for me..
The darling little ones had no choice, no power, no ability to be young, mobile,secure and at peace...their beds were makeshift,rolling,chaotic places; their "playroom" a sequestered, messy place..their mom and dad tired, cranky, seasick, lost....this trip was a mess..a deliberate, calculated and selfish mess!

Yep...that's how I feel!

That was exactly what I meant and at my age, truthfully, they look young. LOL I should have said seasoned. Some children are raised in a household where they are actively involved in raising the children. Mom instructing them on how to change diapers, what to do if there is a rash, making sure they wash their hands before touching a new baby, etc.

I personally think that all upper level middle schools or the lower grades in high school should make it mandatory to have classes on child care. Teens somehow have the impression that baby, just by some miracle, can raise themselves. What a shock when they find out the truth. jmo

I agree with everything you said.
lololol Especially they look young to me too. ;)

From what Charlotte wrote, it was a horrific situation before the rescue. It's terrible to lose your home and almost everything in it. I wouldn't want anyone to experience that, no matter what mistakes they may have made. I'm very glad they're safe. I think people did go too far in many of the comments I read, in addition to the ones she posted.

That said, I hope when things calm down, that they can assess what went wrong and learn from it. There was certainly reason for concern, just based on their blogs. I don't think any of us here could be described as "haters." Personally, I hope they can try this again someday when the kids are a little older and they are a little wiser. There's nothing wrong with raising kids on a boat with the right equipment. But if they dig their heels in, only listen to their supporters, and scorn any opportunity to grow from this, they have missed the point.

I agree with everything you said except one. I hope they never try this again. This couple, from their blog posts, message board posts, etc., appears far too arrogant and stubborn to be equipped for something like this. Again, for me it's not that they took children on an adventure. Instead, it's (as many others have said), that their arrogance made them believe that being ill-equipped and inexperienced didn't matter.

I keep trying to see Charlotte as someone who could benefit from this experience and at least feel some compassion toward her. But she makes it so HARD!! This post from February 24 on FB, venting about someone who suggested that they postpone their trip until she feels better, is unbelievable. Be sure to read the comments and her replies. Yikes!

https://www.facebook.com/svrebelheart/posts/671493816240128

I looked at the actual comment on her blog, and it was one sentence and in no way unkind or provocative. Charlotte took offense and questioned why the person would leave a comment "like that" anonymously. When Charlotte posts about suicidal thoughts and depression, people are going to show their concern. Her responses were over the top. Something is really off. I hope she gets help.

http://www.therebelheart.com/charlottes-blog/2014/2/23/i-should-be-blogging-about-provisioning.html

Reminds me of another infamous person's lovely online presence. Kate Parker anyone?

I believe the rescue team has already stated that this is part of their job. Regardless of the cost it is why they, in part, exist to protect our coast lines and those who get into trouble on the high seas. They train for this and it was a good opportunity to put those training skills to work. No one likes to see someone get into trouble on the water no matter what the reasoning is for the event.

I do think Eric made the right choice by sinking the boat. He could have tried to get the boat back on his own but he chose to stay with his family so I have to give him credit for doing that. For the most part I do think they realize how fast things can turn from bad to worse with a small child in such a short time. An expensive lesson to be learned but thankfully it was not tragic due to the help provided by the California National Guard.

This family lost everything they worked for during the past 7 years. That is a pretty significant lesson to learn. jmo

Yes, it would be. But they do not appear to have learned the lesson at all.

This is an extremely arrogant couple. They appeared very ready to lambaste others for making the same mistakes they ultimately did (and worse), and skewering those who made polite suggestions to wait, and now are accusing everyone who has criticized their decision-making, as conformist idiots. I think that arrogance is the very reason for the trouble they got into.

To them:
1. No one dared tell them they were too inexperienced when it came to open ocean sailing, to try such a trip.
2. No one dared tell them they might consider postponing the trip until Charlotte felt better.
3. No one dared tell them they might consider postponing the trip until their children were totally well and off medication.
4. No one dared tell them that their boat was not fit for such a voyage as it is prone to taking on water, and is very small for rough seas and a trip with two children and was jimmy rigged by the husband.
5. No one dared tell them they were ill-equipped for such a voyage, with a boat that had unsanitary conditions, without pot locks, without the size and safety mechanism built in to prevent small children from rolling into the ocean or getting tossed around by high waves, with only 30 gallons of gas, etc., etc.

Their extremely defensive and critical post-disaster comments evidence these people have not learned from this event and, coupled with their past displays of extreme arrogance, that they are unlikely to in the future.

If people want to risk their lives doing crazy things due to a deluded sense of grandeur, fine. But when they decide to take two babies along for the ride, it becomes everyone's business and it becomes very, very serious.

These people should never be allowed to take their children near a boat again, unless a professional is in charge and at the helm.

Did she say she used cold water to wash the diapers? It is possible they were soaked in a bucket in cold soapy water and she rinsed them in hot water in the sink. Even if she were to take a lot of precautions it is not preferable to wash cloth diapers by hand. Just way to risky unless you have a lot of bleach to kill the bacteria. Diaper duty would be a full time task. jmo

I can imagine how safe and easy that would be, to boil hot water on the stove, in a tiny boat, with no pot locks, that's rolling in seriously heavy seas. Oh,s he also had to wash out and reuse her sanitary pad as well. Ick.

I was 42 when my only child was born. I had never fed, changed, or otherwise served a baby. My sole training was a little lesson taught by a nurse in the hospital, "How to Bathe a Baby"! Everyone assured me, you'll know what to do instinctively. Amazingly, they were right, and I didn't start being an awful parent until he was a teenager!

I'm sort of sorry for the Kaufmans; it can't be easy to be the subject of such nationwide opprobrium. But they were idiots, extremely careless with their precious babies, and totally selfish. I'm sure they have learned something, though they may never admit it.

LambChop, you're right. Every 9th grade student should have a class in childcare and another one in financial responsibility. And they should stand up straight and get off my lawn!

I'm not disagreeing that EK and CK have been defensive about their trip trying to justify their actions. I do not agree with taking small children on a trip across the ocean for the very reason their trip was aborted. Infants can take a turn for the worse in such a short period of time.

How far out into the ocean would have been too far for US to respond to their rescue call? I really don't know but 900 miles seems pretty far out there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upstairsmeow
Back