Rescue at sea for sick baby

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They are attention seekers who don't seem to give a day about their children...NOR cleanliness.

Reusing sanitary pads? Nasty azz.

I think Charlotte talked about rinsing out her menstrual cup, not pads. It makes sense on a boat, and they were trying to be "green". But the yuck quotient would depend on where she rinsed it.

Menstrual cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, that does make more sense. It's just the blogging about it part that I don't get. jmo

i agree with everything you said except one. I hope they never try this again. This couple, from their blog posts, message board posts, etc., appears far too arrogant and stubborn to be equipped for something like this. Again, for me it's not that they took children on an adventure. Instead, it's (as many others have said), that their arrogance made them believe that being ill-equipped and inexperienced didn't matter.

Reminds me of another infamous person's lovely online presence. Kate parker anyone?

Yes, it would be. But they do not appear to have learned the lesson at all.

This is an extremely arrogant couple. They appeared very ready to lambaste others for making the same mistakes they ultimately did (and worse), and skewering those who made polite suggestions to wait, and now are accusing everyone who has criticized their decision-making, as conformist idiots. I think that arrogance is the very reason for the trouble they got into.

To them:
1. No one dared tell them they were too inexperienced when it came to open ocean sailing, to try such a trip.
2. No one dared tell them they might consider postponing the trip until charlotte felt better.
3. No one dared tell them they might consider postponing the trip until their children were totally well and off medication.
4. No one dared tell them that their boat was not fit for such a voyage as it is prone to taking on water, and is very small for rough seas and a trip with two children and was jimmy rigged by the husband.
5. No one dared tell them they were ill-equipped for such a voyage, with a boat that had unsanitary conditions, without pot locks, without the size and safety mechanism built in to prevent small children from rolling into the ocean or getting tossed around by high waves, with only 30 gallons of gas, etc., etc.

Their extremely defensive and critical post-disaster comments evidence these people have not learned from this event and, coupled with their past displays of extreme arrogance, that they are unlikely to in the future.

If people want to risk their lives doing crazy things due to a deluded sense of grandeur, fine. But when they decide to take two babies along for the ride, it becomes everyone's business and it becomes very, very serious.

These people should never be allowed to take their children near a boat again, unless a professional is in charge and at the helm.

I can imagine how safe and easy that would be, to boil hot water on the stove, in a tiny boat, with no pot locks, that's rolling in seriously heavy seas.

oh,s he also had to wash out and reuse her sanitary pad as well. Ick.

bbm.
Sbm
References from their blog entries.

I noticed in the blog that she said she & Eric looked forward to two moments each day -- the little one's nap time & then bedtime for the kids...

Those poor children.

And they had, not one, but two children? <smh>

I would hate to have to admit that either Erik or Charlotte was my child. And I would forbid them to take my grandchildren on anything resembling another trip such as the one they had. Dayam.

I mean, really. <smh>

I hated that ugly, uncomfortable life vest my parents made me wear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, me too, Linda -- but I'm very happy to say we are both still here to say it!!
icon12.gif

BBM

Yes, she really said that! And she told a negative commenter to go back to their couch! :banghead:

https://www.facebook.com/svrebelheart

They are responding to all criticism (the mean, nasty and caring concern) as an attack on their lifestyle. That way they can avoid considering that those of us who are supportive of their choice to raise their kids on a boat, might, just might, have legitimate concerns about the way they went about this particular trip. This isn't about lifestyle. This is about a poorly prepared boat and sailing crew combined with very young children who had been sick. Impatience trumped common sense, resulting in putting children and rescuers at risk. Period.

Rather than humbly acknowledging that fact and doing some specific thinking about what they can do differently next time, they have turned the criticism into an "us versus them" fight against an enemy society of "bubble-wrapped, couch potato conformists" who want to restrict their freedom. Their followers are egging them on, which shows what poor thinking skills many people have.

I repeat...This is not about the cruising with kids lifestyle. It is about the Kaufman's poor decisions in this situation, that they show no sign of ever acknowledging. Until they do, and make corrections, they have no business trying this again IMO.

This reminds me of the Nicholas Francisco case. According to his wife, he stopped for a bit of sugar on his way home to make sugar cookies with their perfect little children in their perfect little house with their hand-made this 'n that, oh and can you spare a dime? All the while good 'ol Nick was on his way to another life.

I'm not convinced the hubby in this little sailing incident wanted the wife and babies along for the journey in the first place. Somebody should stitch up a red flag and wave it at her.

Hubris sounds like the perfect name for their next boat - because you KNOW these two fools have to try it again just to prove all of us boring, boxed in, couch sitters wrong.

Getajob Meathead has a nice ring to it.

on march 22 she blogged about not feeling well and needing to change her pad...

Thanks for checking that. I couldn't bear to comb through her blogs for the cup reference. :) I do remember it, so she must have used both. As Kermit the Frog would say..."It's not easy being green." And as Lamb Chop (ours, not the puppet) mentioned, why blog about it?! Are modesty and privacy old-fashioned?

Attention seekers they are! On their FB, there is a picture of the family in front of their car, on the back window is written "San Diego or bust"! The license plate is not on the car.

My opinions only!

"About to embark on something FAR more dangerous than sailing with a 1 year old...driving on the freeway.

But society is cool with that."

____

ugh, these two are clueless.

Here is an interesting article posted by a commenter on the Rebel Heart FB page. It contains details about how the rescue effort was coordinated.

At approximately 7 a.m. April 3, 2014, the command center in Alameda, Calif., was notified of a 1-year-old child aboard the sailing vessel Rebel Heart who was ill and required assistance. On watch receiving the call was the command duty officer, Lt. David Herndon. Herndon and his team asked the Rebel Heart a series of questions. While the conversation was simple, it was vital to the mission’s success; this conversation was the only time anyone spoke to the family before rescue assets arrived on scene.

“It was a deteriorating situation,” recalled Herndon. “Not only was the 1-year-old seriously ill, the vessel had no communications, was disabled in 12-foot seas and had activated their EPIRB.”

“This case was very complex and lasted several days from start to finish,” said Herndon. “Not only were we in constant communications with California Air National Guard, U.S. Navy, Vandegrift and their respective chain of commands, but we also worked closely with Air Force and Coast Guard liaison officers in Mexico coordinating airspace entry for the 129th.”

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2014/04/shipmate-of-the-week-lt-david-herndon/

"Also remember that it is far, far more dangerous to drive every day on the freeway than it is to sail from San Diego to Mexico, or even around the world," Charlotte wrote.

http://www.abc57.com/video/National-Guard-rescues-family-stranded-at-sea-254245151.html

really?

Exactly, JerseyGirl -- Yes, statistics for roadway travel are worse than for air travel, but I have no idea about sea travel. Cruise ships carry thousands and most are successful... so maybe the survival stats are better for water travel. Okay then, let's shove on off...

BUT, on the roadway, you can always pull into the breakdown lane or turn off onto a lesser traveled road, or pull into a restaurant, gas station or rest stop if you are on the highway or turnpike, etc. And when you step out, there is land under your feet. Life preservers and EPIRBs are not required.

I remember thinking about JFK, Jr.,piloting the plane that night along with his wife and her sister. The plane went down and all three were lost. I'm not sure how many night landings at that airport JFK, Jr. had done, and I thought about the possible & likely fear that may have engulfed him as he was looking at the landing lights of the airport runway. He couldn't pull over on the side of the road and let his nerves calm down, or get out and just take a breath, or just shut it down & wait for sunlight. It was life or death right there, right then. And there was no Coast Guard or US Navy to help him get his passengers & himself out safely. How tragic. Please know that this is in NO WAY meant to criticize that good young man, not at all. My heart was so heavy for him having to deal with the situation right then -- he couldn't pull over & wait 'til later. Oh, my. And they were gone.

And that's essentially what happened to Eric & Charlotte. But they did have resources that they finally, finally used. It was definitely an abandon-ship situation, and help was available. Thank goodness, or divers might today still be searching for the little bodies of the children. And I wonder how many hours per day those children were wearing life jackets...

There's not enuff money in the world.....(you know the rest, I'm sure).

ETA: And let's hope Eric can drive the freeway better than he can pilot & manage a boat...

There are reuseable pads, cloth ones. I don't know why you would blog about it though unless it was a sponsored post. Some people just like to share TMI, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people use re-usable pads which you would launder, dry and re-use. They are made from similar materials to modern cloth diapers. There is also the DIVA cup which is a re-usable menstrual cup. I assume she is referring to one or both of these options.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RABay1735
Back