Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 1/29 thru 2/2 - Break

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the DSM, Fourth Edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR), to be diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a person must show an enduring pattern of behavior that includes at least five of the following symptoms:

Extreme reactions—including panic, depression, rage, or frantic actions—to abandonment, whether real or perceived
A pattern of intense and stormy relationships with family, friends, and loved ones, often veering from extreme closeness and love (idealization) to extreme dislike or anger (devaluation)
Distorted and unstable self-image or sense of self, which can result in sudden changes in feelings, opinions, values, or plans and goals for the future (such as school or career choices)
Impulsive and often dangerous behaviors, such as spending sprees, unsafe sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, and binge eating
Recurring suicidal behaviors or threats or self-harming behavior, such as cutting
Intense and highly changeable moods, with each episode lasting from a few hours to a few days
Chronic feelings of emptiness and/or boredom
Inappropriate, intense anger or problems controlling anger
Having stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms, such as feeling cut off from oneself, observing oneself from outside the body, or losing touch with reality.

Thank you lin. But this is a bit of a technicality. What I mean by Juan asked Horn is that the information was sought by Juan/the state and this was the first time the ME was asked for his opinion, during the hearing to drop the death penalty for the reason that the shot was first. I didn't imagine Juan picking up the phone and all hey, buddy, let me ask you something. It doesn't matter who actually asked him. The point was Juan had the gun first as a theory until he actually asked Horn, either directly or not, about his opinion. I use Juan and the state a bit interchangeably.

It wasn't that Flores had discovered an error, iirc. He had said that Horn told him the shot was first when he spoke with him. I don't think the ME told him any such thing at that time because, again, that wasn't part of doing an autopsy. It's not usually his job to determine order of wounds. He also testified to this. What Flores means when he says he misunderstood is he misunderstood what the ME had told him and IMO was working from his own theory that the shot was last and filled in the gaps himself. Horn, iirc, said he was not asked for his opinion on the matter until later and would not have offered it at thebtime he spoke to Flores, even though he has no recollection of it.

And yes, I alredy wrote that Horn made an honest error and was surprised that his report would say that when it would have been possible for the dura mater to be intact.
Actually, I think you and I mostly agree - not sure where you got the idea that I thought Flores discovered an error, I actually think the error was his. And for the same reasons you suggest. But that theory is what he believed was true, he reported that to JM, who had no reason to question it. Thus the Chronis testimony. What I think cleared up the error was when Horn did speak with JM about it sometime between Chronis and the trial. When he gave JM his opinion about the differing wounds and which would incapacitate, were fatal, etc., JM knew then that the earlier theory was wrong and that the gunshot was last.

I seen someone mention up thread that they wouldn't mind if jodi got life if she could have the solitary of DR...I've just been watching something about Donald Flagg who was sentenced to 8 life terms plus 166 years but also the judge did something called unique sentencing.

Where he sentenced Flagg to spend the first 10 years of his life sentence in solitary confinement.

Now,I think I could live with jodi not getting the DP is sherry could pull her socks up and do something like this.

IIRC, the first few years of life in Perryville for convicted murderers are spent in solitary. Length of time varies, but this is designed to settle them down and getting them used to being imprisoned.

Imagining DeMarte on the stand....

JM to DeMarte(DM): so your diagnosis would be BPD?
DM: yes.

JM: Is violence towards others common for those with BPD?
DM: No. Those with BPD are far more likely to harm themselves.

JM: So those with BPD are not typically violent. Does that include murder ? Would you expect someone with BPD to be predisposed to murder?

DM: No. That kind of extreme violence? Murder? It is statistically very rare for BPD's to commit murder.

JM: In those cases you are aware of where BPD's did cause physical harm, or even death, was the violence spontaneous? As in, the BPD's became enraged and acted immediately on the rage?

DM: Yes, in those very rare cases where violence has been inflicted by BPD's, it was inflicted immediately or within a very short time of the perceived "triggering' offense.

JM: How would you explain someone with BPD making detailed plans weeks ahead of time to murder someone? Then driving 1,000 miles to get there, then manuevering her victim over hours into an extremely vulnerable position before stabbing him?

DM: I would say that those actions are incompatible with the diagnosis of BPD. The BPD can help explain why this person might feel a high degree of rage, but not the methodical premeditation and the actual murder you describe.

JM: How would you explain her actions then? Is there another diagnosis that fits?

DM: Only a lay explanation, I'm afraid. She's a lying, manipulative, cruel, vindictive, hateful and cold blooded murderer who knew exactly what she was doing, who has never regretted it, and who, when forced to express remorse, will use those occasions to further vilify her victim.

JM: I don't have anything else.

I think the reason for that is because there is some debate on whether or not personality disorders should be considered mental illnesses. Some psychologists do and some don't. From what I've read, there are similar anomalies in the brain that occur in BPD and sociopathy. In BPD, the area of the brain that controls the regulation and control of emotion doesn't work. Similarly, in ASPD, the part that controls empathy and guilt and things that are lacking in sociopaths is smaller. I think Jodi has all of this going on. Can it really be a mental illness if the problem is physical?

Since mental illnesses can be treated with medication, presumably they are biochemical (physical) illnesses of the brain. The personality disorders have a distorted view of self and disordered thinking. There's a lot of manipulation going on, IIRC. For BPD, some medication is used, but a focal treatment is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), and BPD-ers have to "work" this program all the time, sort of like doing AA for alcoholics. The mental health professions even talk about "relapses" (an AA term).

I found one mention of Horn's interview on the docket (Note dated 5/05/11) but couldn't find the minute entry where it mentions anything about him being interviewed.

I missed the whole pre-trial stuff, does anyone know offhand what this was about? Perhaps the letters JA's mom tried to sell to the Enquirer?
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/true-crime/exclusive-jodi-arias-desperate-escape-plan

[url]http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/082011/m4852390.pdf[/URL]
"Defense case continues:
Rosemarie Urbanski is sworn and testifies.
The witness is excused
"

I see she's listed under polygraph expense type:
https://www.maricopa.gov/OPDS/Assets/Documents/Service_Providers/Polygraph.pdf

Although online it appears she is more into forensic work:
http://www.morelaw.com/experts/expert.asp?f=Rosemarie&l=Urbanski,%20MFS&i=10691&z=85014&s=AZ

"Expertise: Forensic analysis of question documents, ink aging, fingerprinting, trace evidence and crime scene investigations."

Imagining DeMarte on the stand....

JM to DeMarte(DM): so your diagnosis would be BPD?
DM: yes.

JM: Is violence towards others common for those with BPD?
DM: No. Those with BPD are far more likely to harm themselves.

JM: So those with BPD are not typically violent. Does that include murder ? Would you expect someone with BPD to be predisposed to murder?

DM: No. That kind of extreme violence? Murder? It is statistically very rare for BPD's to commit murder.

JM: In those cases you are aware of where BPD's did cause physical harm, or even death, was the violence spontaneous? As in, the BPD's became enraged and acted immediately on the rage?

DM: Yes, in those very rare cases where violence has been inflicted by BPD's, it was inflicted immediately or within a very short time of the perceived "triggering' offense.

JM: How would you explain someone with BPD making detailed plans weeks ahead of time to murder someone? Then driving 1,000 miles to get there, then manuevering her victim over hours into an extremely vulnerable position before stabbing him?

DM: I would say that those actions are incompatible with the diagnosis of BPD. The BPD can help explain why this person might feel a high degree of rage, but not the methodical premeditation and the actual murder you describe.

JM: How would you explain her actions then? Is there another diagnosis that fits?

DM: Only a lay explanation, I'm afraid. She's a lying, manipulative, cruel, vindictive, hateful and cold blooded murderer who knew exactly what she was doing, who has never regretted it, and who, when forced to express remorse, will use those occasions to further vilify her victim.

JM: I don't have anything else.

OMG, if only..... PERFECT

Has anyone brought this over yet? Since when are pics allowed in jail, did Sheriff Joe approve this?

B8yeYqfCQAAPLl9.png

Hi Pages,
I read Blake's essay and realized I had read it once before. Sounds like the saddest thing imagineable and yet to me, the saddest thing is that a person could feel no remorse (CMJA) and go to hell, separated from God forever. Blake sounds like he has tremendous remorse and when a person does, I think they would do well in general population. Some of his fellow prisoners sound much like CMJA, no remorse, no feelings for what she did to Travis. We live in a very sad world. I do not understand the mind of a murderer. I am glad that some have true remorse. There is hope for them, at least in the afterlife.

--------------
I believe its the board. I found if I go back to my message, C. C. go back to reply and paste my message it works
:happydance: :loveyou:

I did that more than once in order to post. That was the only way I could post.

ETA When I hit quick reply it asks me if I want to leave the page.

IIRC, the first few years of life in Perryville for convicted murderers are spent in solitary. Length of time varies, but this is designed to settle them down and getting them used to being imprisoned.

As I understand it, Marissa DeVault (13th juror's trial), convicted of M1 for murdering her husband with a hammer, was sentenced to LWOP in June and is already in general population at Perryville and has a job...

Has anyone brought this over yet? Since when are pics allowed in jail, did Sheriff Joe approve this?

B8yeYqfCQAAPLl9.png

Well this confirms DeMarte's statement where Jodi's mother said. "She is happy as hell in jail". DeMarte was tying this into her BPD.

Please make sure when you are posting excerpts from an article that you include the link and only post 10 percent. Otherwise your post will be removed.

Thanks, Lambchop

B8yeYqfCQAAPLl9.png

They visit by Skype IIRC. It also doesn't look like a jail pic to me, where are her stripes? I see a bare neckline, and shoulders.

I've wondered that if JA has a mental illness, she would of went with the "I snapped because i'm crazy" defense? She may have BPD or even bi-polar, but she has more than that, IMO. Wasn't she also diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...ality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20027920

I'll bet antisocial personality disorder is coming. Maybe even "psychopathy" as a layman's diagnosis..... DeMarte! She did it in the Devault case.

Wonder if the killer is now on any of these?

Borderline Personality Disorder is a well-researched mental illness . There are many drugs that have been designed and developed to treat symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder. While medication alone is not the answer for treating Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), a combination of drugs and counseling has a much greater efficacy compared with treatment given using only medications.

Borderline personality disorder medication:

Mood stabilizers, neuroleptics, and atypical antipsychotic agents may help alleviate the intensity of borderline personality behavior. The top drugs for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) include:

Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors, or SSRIs, help in the treatment of mood swings, chronic anger, emptiness, boredom, and depression that are associated with Borderline Personality Disorder. One of the most well-known and highly acclaimed drugs that belongs to the category of SSRI drugs is Prozac®. Its alternatives include Paxil® and Effexor XR®. While Paxil is prescribed when certain specific symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) are observed, other medications are administered instead of Prozac only if any additional illnesses or side effects are observed. SSRI drugs reduce impulsive behavior exhibited by most patients suffering from borderline personality disorder.

Another class of drugs employed to help patients cope with borderline personality disorder are atypical antipsychotics. Examples of these include Risperdal®, Seroquel®, Zyprexa®, Clozaril®, and Abilify®. All these medications are FDA-approved for treating Borderline Personality Disorder. Geodon and Abilify do not cause side effects like weight gain. For patients exhibiting severe symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder, psychologists and therapists may prescribe antipsychotic drugs to help cope with the distorted thought process. Depending on the severity of symptoms, patients suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder may also be prescribed selective atypical antipsychotics.

Another category of medications for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder is anticonvulsants. A few examples of anticonvulsants include, but are not limited to, Lamictal®, Topamax®, Depakote®, Trileptal®, Zonegan®, Neurontin®, and Gabitril®. These medications have worked well when administered to bipolar patients. Since both bipolar patients and patients suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) exhibit mood swings, these drugs can be used to treat both psychological conditions.

Some medications used to reduce depression and emotional mood swings like antidepressant drugs and mood stabilizers may be helpful in treating Borderline Personality Disorder.
Borderline Personality Disorder coupled with manic depressive disorder can be treated using Zyprexa®, Seroquel®, and Risperdal®. Zyprexa has been shown to decrease self-injury, mood swings, depression, and anxiety caused by Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).

Omega-3 fatty acids have been around for quite some time. They can supplement Borderline Personality Disorder drugs by reducing aggression and depression. Furthermore, omega-3 fatty acids are cost-effective health supplements that also help the heart.
Borderline personality disorder drugs with anxiolytic medication must be avoided since these can cause addiction, substance abuse, disinhibition, and dependence. Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms can also be controlled using small doses of antipsychotic drugs.
Naltrexone® is another well-known drug used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Rickshaw, thanks for the letter from the inmate. It was hard to read, but he should have thought of the consequences before he murdered. Sorry if I sound harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotto