Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing - Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Jodi is scared she can't remember details of the lies she told before. Really doesn't matter does it? I mean, who doesn't expect her to come up with some new, wild scenario?

Nobody will testify for her this time just like nobody testified for her last time. This is all just a bunch of misdirection and sleight of hand. All the secret witnesses will disappear into thin air with a flourish of indignant Nurmi motions for mistrial. Then we'll have JA's power point allocution version 2.0. Then the DT will pull the hung jury card from the new foreperson's ear in January.

Great article. Change the date and a few facts and it's déjà vu.

Yeah, pretty much.
Here is where we are now, in Déjà vu Tube videos of sentencing phase 2013

http://youtu.be/4VCvpWyF-uA

http://youtu.be/oDXopWnFUqA

http://youtu.be/sxmpCSptl9s

Just as Ms. Womack was never really going to speak to the jury on behalf of CMJA, there are no mitigation witnesses with busy unshuffleable schedules who will testify after the Court of Appeals orders the court to allow the media back.

What media coverage? Unless you live in the Phoenix area, there is virtually zero coverage in MSM.

HLN pulled its trucks and blanked out most coverage save the tweets. JVM is gone. She's not running amok among the lack-of-crowd at the current penalty phase. I rarely see NG, but JA's case is eerily quiet on her show when I see it.

That leaves us here and a couple of sites with feet-in-the-courtroom to tweet out the basics to the average trial-follower.

Then there are the pro-Arias mob (as they like to call the rest of the world). They are a vitriolic and rabid bunch.

Thus far, the only legitimate threat was made by a loony-toon from NY who threatened JVM and NG. He was the only one arrested.

IMHO, I believe the defense is trying to stir the publicity pot to bring the case to a boil so that they have a case for secrecy. Unfortunately, they ran out of gas.

Being "mentally ill" is not a defense to murder. But it is a mitigating circumstance.
I saw her glance over there, seemingly involuntarily, when Juan said "the witness who was on the stand." But maybe she was looking at Maria DLR? :fence:
I have taught preschool, formal logic, math, paralegal classes, law school (contracts and writing), professionalism, and test prep classes (PSAT, SAT, GRE, MCAT)...I think that's it.

Yes, Nurmi has not yet filed his brief on the merits of the Ct App case, and apparently plans to do so, based on the judge's comment that she knows he has something due that he needs time to work on this week.

BBM - I seem to recall that people thought Nurmi wanted to play up much more on this angle in the trial, but that JA would have none of it because she's perfectly normal as far as she is concerned (other than being the smartest person in the room). Other than trying for not guilty by reason of insanity (whatever the proper term is), how could he have used that instead of a self-defense angle in the original trial?

Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
11/06/2014 8:00 AM

11/03/2014

TRIAL MINUTE ENTRY
DAY THIRTEEN

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...4/m6562516.pdf
---------------------

11/04/2014

EXPEDITED TRANSCRIPT ORDERED

IT IS ORDERED that Court Reporter Marla Arnold, prepare and provide a copy to the
Court of Appeals and counsel of the transcript of the proceeding held on 10/30/14.

The court has determined the expedited transcripts to be a reasonable and necessary
expense. Cost of the transcripts to be paid by the Maricopa County Superior Court.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...4/m6562553.pdf
-----------------------

11/04/2014

MINUTE ENTRY

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov...4/m6562535.pdf
-------------------

Case Documents

Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party
11/6/2014 029 - ME: Status Conference - Party (001) 11/6/2014
11/6/2014 029 - ME: Status Conference - Party (001) 11/6/2014
11/6/2014 023 - ME: Order Entered By Court - Party (001) 11/6/2014

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.g...=CR2008-031021

Lol, that's crazy, too. All this time I thought you guys were calling her that for fun and was all, ok...I can see that. Had no idea it's what she calls herself...oy vey.

:facepalm:

Same here, MeeBee. I thought it was sarcasm. I didn't expect she would actually call herself Cougarloucious. perhaps it is pronounced as Coo-gar-louse-us ?

Being "mentally ill" is not a defense to murder. But it is a mitigating circumstance.

I saw her glance over there, seemingly involuntarily, when Juan said "the witness who was on the stand." But maybe she was looking at Maria DLR? :fence:

I have taught preschool, formal logic, math, paralegal classes, law school (contracts and writing), professionalism, and test prep classes (PSAT, SAT, GRE, MCAT)...I think that's it.

Yes, Nurmi has not yet filed his brief on the merits of the Ct App case, and apparently plans to do so, based on the judge's comment that she knows he has something due that he needs time to work on this week.

I have a question AZl. Is it normal for a judge to stop the trial in order that one of the attorney writes an appeal. Will she also close the courts so he may also write the many motions he plans to write. Thanks you for all you do. This case really confuses me. It seems very strange that she would do this.

EXCLUSIVE: Behind the Jodi Arias trial - what you didn't hear

"It was one of countless sidebars in the Jodi Arias trial: Domestic-violence expert Alyce LaViolette was on the witness stand, facing withering cross-examination from prosecutor Juan Martinez, and defense attorney Jennifer Willmott asked to approach the judge to talk out of earshot of the jury.

“If he will just let her answer, he will get an answer,” Willmott said.

“I can get more aggressive with her as need be,” Martinez said."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20130620jodi-arias-sidebars-exclusive.html

ETA - It's as if we're talking about 2 different judges - then & now.

At this point, I am now feeling that Nurmi's attempts to delay trial with his tactics to push this on to the COA is now going to backfire and leave a huge soot stain on the DT's face. COA is going to rule that all of the secrecy stop and JSS will have to set some real boundaries with Nurmi. The COA ruling might also set up less appellate issues for JA to bring up in the future (hoping).

I watched JM do his thing previously and I believe he has just given the DT "enough rope" . . . Nurmi will have gone from "butt hurt" to "butt bitten". These antics are so out of the norm - I dare say we are seeing the lunatic fringe of the bell curve with the DT tactics. JM will bring things back in balance - with the backing of the COA. MOO

I agree. This should backfire nicely. Its about time the courts will stop what is happening with all the secrecy.

If Nurmi tries to push this even further, I am thinking the appeal court may get very firm and state no witness can be prevented from testifying in front of the public. They may have harsh words and tell them to immediately let all public see the trial for all witnesses.

I will not be surprised if they specifically say cameras can be allowed with live feeds to the public for all witnesses. No witnesses should ever be testifying in secret. And at minimum, all transcripts should be released to the public immediately.

I'm not an attorney and this is the first case I've watched and been glued to from the beginner so saying that, this is my opinion.

If you go back to the beginning of this secrecy stuff…. the day that it happened, everything I read about it said that the witness refused to testify in public. I never read that the witness was afraid or anything. I think that since JA threw a fit and refused to testify in her own defense unless the courtroom was closed, JSS was afraid that that would be seen as not giving the defendant a fair chance to mitigate. In the articles the day it happened, many started speculating about what reasons could be dire enough to justify sealing the courtroom and the one everyone came up with was fear for their life and lo and behold that is what Nurmi started spouting. Let me see if I can find the earlier articles… all of this is JMO of course.

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/nation/2014/10/30/18216301/

"Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens and lawyers then met behind closed doors about the start of Arias' case. They made a decision to keep the public out of the courtroom because a skittish defense witness wanted to testify in private." http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...ay-their-life-has-been-living-hell-since-his/

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens said Thursday that the witness will not testify unless the hearing was closed to the public.

"This was not an easy decision," said Stephens, who declined to reveal the witness' identity.

The judge said her decision to close the courtroom and seal the witness' testimony until the sentencing trial's conclusion is necessary for "the administration of justice."
http:///news/us/2014/10/30/victim-family-members-speak-in-jodi-arias-trial-n1912159

This summs it up nicely.

Instead of the judge allowing JA to blackmail them, she should have sent a written and verbal response to the defense saying that the court will not be blackmailed or threatened in any way and if the DT continues with these threats, then Nurmi will be held in contempt.

JA can choose to either testify or not. Her choice. The public has a right to hear her testimony. End of story.

If JA chooses not to testify, then that is on her. It has no effect on the potential of the trial being appealed successfully or not successfully. Its JA choice if she wants to lie in public or not and make a fool of herself again.

I have a question AZl. Is it normal for a judge to stop the trial in order that one of the attorney writes an appeal. Will she also close the courts so he may also write the many motions he plans to write. Thanks you for all you do. This case really confuses me. It seems very strange that she would do this.

I know this wasnt directed at me, but JMO...
It is not only strange, it is just plain not right to make the jury have to wait and put their lives on hold just to give the DT time to write up appeals and stuff. I cry fowl.

Nurmi can do this sort of thing on his own time late at night if he wants.

This is unheard of in any trial I have watched and it proves once again that this judge is going way too overboard with placating to the defense.

This has nothing to do with a fair trial at this point. This action by the judge of delaying the trial just for Nurmi to have time to write an appeal response is ridiculous and upsetting.

Thinking back to the day Jodi was laughing it up with mitigating assistant. Jodi enjoys seeing the courts jump through hoops for things she is causing.

It is about time someone puts her and her DT in her place. That someone will hopefully be the appeal court rulings. Hope they are very clear and to the point. Hope they extend their rulings beyond the single issue and recommend to the judge to reverse some of the rulings she has installed regarding secrecy.

I also agree with others that the News Media should file new requests to have all sidebars be open to the public and any other thing that is done in secrecy.

EXCLUSIVE: Behind the Jodi Arias trial - what you didn't hear

"It was one of countless sidebars in the Jodi Arias trial: Domestic-violence expert Alyce LaViolette was on the witness stand, facing withering cross-examination from prosecutor Juan Martinez, and defense attorney Jennifer Willmott asked to approach the judge to talk out of earshot of the jury.

“If he will just let her answer, he will get an answer,” Willmott said.

“I can get more aggressive with her as need be,” Martinez said."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20130620jodi-arias-sidebars-exclusive.html

ETA - It's as if we're talking about 2 different judges - then & now.

But she should have admonished her in front of the jury. That was her job even back then. I have seen countless cases when the witness is combative or nonresponsive the Judge turns to them and directs them to answer only the questions being asked.

And it just burns me up that the torturing of pets will not be allowed to come in.

In every DP I have seen any negative thing done by the convicted defendant comes in during the sentencing phase.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member