Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so far behind...can anyone give the short and sweet of it and bring me up to speed? People in Dallas can't drive when it rains

The hearing this afternoon - Defense argued they can't move forward, not fair to their client blah, blah bah. Judge said you don't have a choice. Long sidebar, then no witnesses until next Wednesday. Jury will be brought in tomorrow at 10:00 AM to be told they aren't needed until Nov 12.

I'm pretty sure that is about it.

I have always found Maria's behavior with Jodi startling. IMO she is very, very unprofessional. Especially in light of the rumors of her involvement in sneaking drawings, etc. out of jail for Jodi. Cougarlicious, indeed! I am embarrassed for her! :floorlaugh:

Maria should keep a low profile .....third party calls on her cellphone and Joid caught on it.

I cannot for the life of me understand after yesterdays appeal hearing how they are getting away with more "secret" sidebars when the jury is not even in the room. Is it so difficult for the judge to understand? Really, this is pitiful.

I wonder how many jurors will bail if confronted with the "trial is going to January" information. This is outrageous, Nurmi and the killer will be getting just what they want. :banghead:

The jurors can't just bail, can they? They have to wait to be excused by JSS, but she's so wimpy she will probably excuse anyone who asks.

I am so far behind...can anyone give the short and sweet of it and bring me up to speed? People in Dallas can't drive when it rains

JSS pretended to get stern with Nurmi that he had to put on secret witness now or put on his next witness. Nurmi said no. JM said tantrums don't trump the AC. Sidebar even tho the jury wasn't there. CMJA laughing with MDL. End of sidebar. JSS laughs with DT. Decision is.....no trial for a WEEK. Jurors will go to court only to be told that and sent home.

The jurors were told Dec 18th. How many will run when they find out it could be the end of January? Mistrial is around the corner.

I think unfortunately if Stephens informs the jurors this tomorrow that yes a mistrial is all but certain. I'm just not certain if a mistrial NOT caused by the state or a hung jury can be retried. If it can't then it's up to Stephens to sentence her. And I'm not 100% that she wouldn't give her a chance at parole after 25 years.

Has Nurmi ever argued in front of the COA? Is that something that looks good on a resume?

AZL- you don't by any chance have a Twitter account, do you? lol
oxoxoxox

No. But everyone should feel free to plagiarize. :)

i hope JSS gets her b*lls busted for this,how is what she is doing adhering to what was said yesterday in the appellate court. is this the way a normal trial would continue?!

The Ct App said she couldn't continue in secret. They didn't say she HAD to continue at all, though.

AZL......how do you feel about JSS now?

Hi AZl, do you FINALLY agree with me about JSS? Please at least say you get it now. She is so weak. She might be an okay lawyer but really, she should not be a judge. She has no control over courtroom, no control over the KILLER sitting in her courtroom, no control over the attorneys. I am so glad the Media stood up to her because even today, a portion of their argument was covered by white noise. I hope the AZ voters are paying close, very close attention.

:facepalm: Um. OK. Can we have this conversation at the sidebar? *SIZZLESIZZLE*

I've said before that JSS is not great at courtroom management. The latest developments have convinced me that this is a major problem, rather than the minor "snag" in an overall good judicial performance that I had hoped it would be.

*SIZZLESIZZLE OFF*

Or is just really confident in his ability to control the judge. :moo: Is it possible that the COA will be asked to move up the appeal so a final ruling can be made and Nurmi forced to comply, based on them losing over a week of trial because of his tantrums?

The media can't ask for this, because they have no interest in how fast the trial moves, but Juan could.

Can Nurmi be charged with Obstruction of Justice?

No. :)

Just got done with todays boring mtgs and see I missed another dustup-my darn job.

So, WTH is Nurmi arguing? The CT yesterday pretty much said in an impersonal judicial way that secret witness testimony wasn't gonna be happening so everyone should get on board with the lesser restriction or continue the trial witout using the witness the DT wants until the CT gets around to hearing the case on the merits which, to me, they pretty much indicated wasn't necessary as the Judge should just do what she planned to do in the first order about the overflow room for the media. If I was the DT I'd get on board before the Appeals CT got involved and perhaps issues an order granting greater access than they'll get from JS.

Seriously, the Order was pretty much telegraphing to anyone with rudimentary comprehension skills that the DT would not prevail. The CT wouldn't stay the Judges order if there was any reasonable chance they were going to end up permitting secret testimony. Or did I miss something????

No, you got it.

She is not coddling her. She is making sure there is nothing that she can appeal on after this is finished that is valid other than automatic appeals and it that she has done a good job. She is erring on the side of making sure JA rights are not trampled on so she can not come back and have a good basis for appeal that might reverse a DP verdict.

And as much as Nurmi annoys me he is zealously fighting for his client.

AS much as I want this over, I want it over right. I think that is what COA is for so that while the trial is going on there is a higher court who can figure out that minutia to make sure all basis are covered and you move on.

It makes sense to avoid creating grounds for appeal that might succeed. It does not make sense to avoid creating grounds for appeal that are sure losers. Unfortunately it seems JSS has strayed into the latter territory.

I think unfortunately if Stephens informs the jurors this tomorrow that yes a mistrial is all but certain. I'm just not certain if a mistrial NOT caused by the state or a hung jury can be retried. If it can't then it's up to Stephens to sentence her. And I'm not 100% that she wouldn't give her a chance at parole after 25 years.

That is exactly what I wanted to ask you, JSR. Thanks for that. The very thought terrifies me.

This trial has lived up to JA's namesake:

Travis Alexander's
Dirty - (sex tape/pics)
Secret - (meetings, sidebars, witnesses, testimony, law, motions, etc . . . .)

Has Nurmi ever argued in front of the COA? Is that something that looks good on a resume?

Well, yesterday he did.

He's a solo practitioner, though, so I don't imagine he needs a resume for anything.

That, or JA was the secret witness, and he expected she would be on the stand a long time, so he didn't bother to line his witness's up accordingly. Possibly he had told them they wouldn't be called until next Wednesday. If it isn't that, then he may be hoping for the COA to rush this BS through.... hoping they might save his sorry *advertiser censored*. I say never make a promise you don't know you can keep. JMO

I've tried very hard to give the judge the benefit of the doubt. These last few days have changed that. I just don't see this ending well for anyone. :tsktsk:

the way I'm seeing it is the defense is mad that they didn't get their way yesterday and they're now refusing to play and are going to deliberately drag it out an extra month and the judge gave in to them.

is that right?

Secret testimony by CMJA about abuse, if that happened, won't help her. All JM has to do is bring up Karp then mock her story as version 3 of abuse, just like her 3 versions of the murder. Shifting each time to save her own behind.

And if the secret slimy whispers are about the Big Lie of pedophilia, JM has the material to squash her like a cockroach. If I were him I would spend hours going over her bizarre and ugly story of catching TA.

Last time JM skipped around to keep her off guard. This time he could go over that day minute by minute, proving her story is a LIE. Impossible. The words of a sociopathic killer trying to smear her victim. Someone who does NOT deserve mercy.

For me the reason she deserves DP is because she continues to destroy the only thing Travis has left, "his memory" by destroying the people that loved him.

Scarlett, you know I always appreciate your quotes, but this is one time I totally disagree with you. I am literally sick to see another WS member defending this judge yet another time. JSS is not a good judge, can't make good decisions and has bent over backwards for this killer. And you can say Nurmi is fighting for his client. I say he is fighting to salvage his reputation. I think the appeals court agrees.

She is a good judge. The one thing that will not come out of this is some appeal because she was too hard on her. I know it stinks to have to wait and see all these delays but in the end you want it done and done right.
I can defend her because I see that in the end when JA starts with the appeals process that her parents are not trying to fund, And she hears denied, denied, denied because of all the leeway that JSS gave the CM, It will have been well worth it.

Nurmi is fighting for his client. He is doing what he is supposed to and he is trying hard to save her life. That is not a small task and I bet it comes with a great responsibility. He is not my cup of tea but I can't help but think about the position he is in.

I think she deserves the DP. She is a callous killer and I will say it again, I don't think this was her first attempt at Murder. I think if she was out she would surely do it again. But I also don't want to revisit this phase again. And for that I will be patient and wait out the process..

I wonder how many jurors will bail if confronted with the "trial is going to January" information. This is outrageous, Nurmi and the killer will be getting just what they want. :banghead:

Im so disgusted in how this trial is being handled, I am 1 step away from giving up and thinking Juan should just take the DP off the table so the madness can end.

The judge has wore me out. Not Nurmi, the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston