Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 11/3/14 Hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JSS as the trial judge should enforce order in this court room...Grow some Judge Melvin Perry balls--he told all lawyers their cases and witnesses must be ready--they made up time on Saturdays--and JSS you can have all members of DT held in contempt of court for not doing their job and causing unnecessary delays in this trial.. This is a sorry excuse for a trial and you judge need to take control now !!!!!

Nah. Her posse feeds on stoking the ire of "haters" such as all of us.

And then there is that constitutional issue of freedom of speech and all. It's all our own opinions and they can't stop that. JMOO

If they had a secret witness last week. Is that witness finished. How can Nurmi state that he has no other witnesses until next week. Did he expect this secret witness to testify until then. The judge told him to continue. What the heck happened. Oh yes, another secret sidebar.

BBM: Respectfully disagree ... JSS has been "coddling" CMJA and her defense team since day 1 of the Trial !

And as to an appeal: JSS just got hit with an appeal and did NOT even know what the Appellate Court's Order meant !

JMO but CMJA WILL APPEAL no matter what !

Blaming it on "CMJA will appeal" is getting is OLD ... and NOT an excuse for JSS's incompetency on the bench !

JMO and :moo:
She can file appeals til the sun goes down but with the way JSS has run the case there will be no grounds. That matters to me a lot.

Making sure people get their Constitutional rights met is not coddling.

I don't agree.. I am grateful that she has taken many appeal issues away from JA.

She is a good judge. The one thing that will not come out of this is some appeal because she was too hard on her. I know it stinks to have to wait and see all these delays but in the end you want it done and done right.
I can defend her because I see that in the end when JA starts with the appeals process that her parents are not trying to fund, And she hears denied, denied, denied because of all the leeway that JSS gave the CM, It will have been well worth it.

Nurmi is fighting for his client. He is doing what he is supposed to and he is trying hard to save her life. That is not a small task and I bet it comes with a great responsibility. He is not my cup of tea but I can't help but think about the position he is in.

I think she deserves the DP. She is a callous killer and I will say it again, I don't think this was her first attempt at Murder. I think if she was out she would surely do it again. But I also don't want to revisit this phase again. And for that I will be patient and wait out the process..

The judge could have put her foot down much sooner, harder, and much more often, and STILL done it right to where there are no valid appeals.

I can't imagine the jury find this case professionally run.
Does that mean they don't put a lot of weight into their decision because of it?

This entire strategy is being orchestrated and controlled by the evil CMJA, and her unethical and unprofessional DT.

CMJA and the DT are going for a mistrial, in the hopes of wearing down the Alexander Family, and Juan ... CMJA and the DT want a sentence from JSS because they KNOW JSS is WEAK, and will give her LWP !

:please::please::please: the jury gives CMJA the DP as she deserves it !

:please::please::please: that the Alexander Family will see this through until the end !

:moo:

The judge could have put her foot down much sooner, harder, and much more often, and STILL done it right to where there are no valid appeals.

Exactly!!

Remember last time there was one night she made everyone stay late to finish? If they're so worried about losing jurors, why don't they just plan on working longer days!? :banghead:

Whatever happened to Nurmi's argument that his secret witness couldn't be rescheduled???

Scarlett, you know I always appreciate your quotes, but this is one time I totally disagree with you. I am literally sick to see another WS member defending this judge yet another time. JSS is not a good judge, can't make good decisions and has bent over backwards for this killer. And you can say Nurmi is fighting for his client. I say he is fighting to salvage his reputation. I think the appeals court agrees.
This judge has already been overturned by an appeals court and the murderer isn't even sentenced yet! :facepalm: I think her fear of being overturned on appeal has severely clouded the limited objectivity and decisiveness she had to begin with. The fact that she is allowing Nurmi to dictate the length of the trial (January 2015, I already called that!), after she already told the jurors it would be over in December, is just another example of her feeble and ineffective attempts to exert control over her courtroom. If there is a mistrial in this case, it will be in part because of the way the judge has mishandled this case from start to end. :moo:

I am not convinced that every single mitigation witness came up to Nurmi and said, hey, I'll testify, but here are my demands. Not many people would have that sort of gall.

And I'm not convinced Nurmi is truly concerned about a mistrial caused by the media. A mistrial is what he wants.

What he has got to understand, but probably never will, is that, as frustrating as it might be, what happens in the court of public opinion doesn't matter. All that matters is, did Jodi get a fair trial in courtroom 5? She has gotten more than a fair trial. She has an accommodating judge, an ethical prosecutor, an impartial jury, and a DT willing to go to battle for her, even if she's intent on burning her bridges with them. And no appeals court is going to agree with Nurmi that public criticism is a legitimate reason to seal everyone out of his case. Internet warriors can't hurt you. Nancy Grace can't hurt you. And they wouldn't if you knew how to ignore them. As Judge Howe said, "it comes with the territory."

And I'm certain Nurmi has his areas of expertise. And I'm even more certain he knows a lot more about law than I do. But I'm doubtful he has the knowledge or the skill to successfully litigate in front of the COA. Not to mention the case law to back him up.

I don't even think frustrated is the right word for what Juan is. I think he's reached his boiling point. And I think he has a great deal of sympathy for this family.

Why would Nurmi agree with the end of trial being 12/18 and now needs until Jan? Is JSS bringing the jury back in tomorrow to discuss the newly projected trial end date of Jan 2015?

Honestly, if they have no mitigating circumstances before - how is they could have some now? I suppose Nurmi will argue JA suffers from PTSD from the length of the sentencing trial . . . .

BTW - there was no evidence of JA having PTSD prior to the murder correct? IMO he has to argue PTSD as a factor of the heinous act - not because of the act. I think he was attempting to lay a foundation of some traumatic event that caused her to behave in this way. If not JA on the stand . . . someone who would be willing to attest to such a "fact"? What traumatic event were they trying to conjure up to support this theory?

<respectfully snipped>

It makes sense to avoid creating grounds for appeal that might succeed. It does not make sense to avoid creating grounds for appeal that are sure losers. Unfortunately it seems JSS has strayed into the latter territory.

This is what has been bothering me since August. The judge's concern about possibly having one of her decisions being appealed seems to have gone into overdrive.

Maybe, but to what avail? I think that basically she has taken all appeal issues away from JA. All she will have left is Denied.

Im good with people not agreeing with me.. That's what makes the world go round.. :)

This judge has already been overturned by an appeals court and the murderer isn't even sentenced yet! :facepalm: I think her fear of being overturned on appeal has severely clouded the limited objectivity and decisiveness she had to begin with. The fact that she is allowing Nurmi to dictate the length of the trial (January 2015, I already called that!), after she already told the jurors it would be over in December, is just another example of her feeble and ineffective attempts to exert control over her courtroom. If there is a mistrial in this case, it will be in part because of the way the judge has mishandled this case from start to end. :moo:

Exactly. She has gone way way way way way way way way too overboard in letting the defense have their way. So much so, like you said, she has already had 1 decision overturned on appeal and trial not even over.

I can't imagine the jury find this case professionally run.
Does that mean they don't put a lot of weight into their decision because of it?

BBM: Yes, and IF JSS and Nurmi extends this trial to January, they will be more than po'd !

Remember when Jury Selection was going on?

The potential jurors were :hills::hills::hills::hills::hills:

They knew what a nightmare this case was going to be !

A really huge and sincere thank you, AZL..Not just for your insights but for your sanity and sense of fairness. Its good to know that the AZ bar has at least 2 extremely capable trial attorneys (am including JM, natch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx