Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 12/3 -12/04 In recess w/hearing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought during the trial we were told that once the verdict was reached with the enhancement for cruelty or whatever, there were only two sentences available: Death or LWOP. At that time, Arizona did not have life with parole unless they changed the law. Did they change it? The way I look at it, if they haven't changed it, then JSS could only give LWOP with NO option to give life with parole after 25 years, right? It doesn't make any sense to worry about possibility of parole unless the law has changed. As far as changing the law, look at California after the Manson Family sentencing. It did away with the death penalty and gave them all life with possibility of parole, but none have been granted parole. The public would have a fit. I don't think any state had LWOP at that time. In other words, you might as well worry that AZ will do away with the death penalty instead of whether JSS will give LWOP or Life with possibility of parole. Either way, you can't predict changes in the law and sentencing.

At the moment, I believe this is a win-win proposition for the State. She can only get death or LWOP.

Did I misunderstand?

I agree but the DT is asserting that the state hiding this *advertiser censored* stuff made Jodi look like a liar to the jurors. The state hid something to make Jodi look like more of a liar than she already was. They're saying this further prejudiced the jury against her. It's pretty rich, obviously, because Jodi is a liar and this doesn't go to all of the other lies she told on the stand. But this is the DT's assertion and this is why I think that will be the main issue now, whether the *advertiser censored* would have helped her at all, either in proving her story of how the abuse escalated after she discovered his addiction or in proving her veracity, in general, whether the state hid it intentionally or not.

The defense has asserted a lot of crap, none of it has been true. We all know in our guts that JM and law enforcement did nothing wrong. This will all be ripped apart and proven to be another BS tactic by Nurmi and the killer. No fear my dear.

I'd like to see Darryl questioned about the remote. Did he received a dvd player from Arias, and is he prepared to lie under oath and deny knowledge of player. What would his now grown son think. This might be another reason Darryl wants to testify in secret. Ashamed of lying in public.

If Darryl takes the stand as a witness, I sure hope the first question JM asks on cross is "Is the photograph of the erect penis that was sent to JA yours?" Then, at least that mystery will be solved.

I thought during the trial we were told that once the verdict was reached with the enhancement for cruelty or whatever, there were only two sentences available: Death or LWOP. At that time, Arizona did not have life with parole unless they changed the law. Did they change it? The way I look at it, if they haven't changed it, then JSS could only give LWOP with NO option to give life with parole after 25 years, right? It doesn't make any sense to worry about possibility of parole unless the law has changed. As far as changing the law, look at California after the Manson Family sentencing. It did away with the death penalty and gave them all life with possibility of parole, but none have been granted parole. The public would have a fit. I don't think any state had LWOP at that time. In other words, you might as well worry that AZ will do away with the death penalty instead of whether JSS will give LWOP or Life with possibility of parole. Either way, you can't predict changes in the law and sentencing.

At the moment, I believe this is a win-win proposition for the State. She can only get death or LWOP.

Did I misunderstand?

As I understand it, if the jury does NOT all agree on death, then it goes to the judge who has 2 choices. LWOP which means no chance ever of getting out. Or LWP which means she can apply for parole AFTER completing a FULL. 25 years but some board has to grant it and it rarely if ever, given to murderers. She will NEVER walk out alive.

Re: The educational background of the "sexpert" (love that word, by the way!)

Anyone who has attended a college or university, who has put years of their time and effort in earning a degree, or two or three degrees, is highly UNLIKELY to not list them anywhere.

The one and only higher education facility with whom this witness can thus far be found to be associated happens to have a "checkered" background - being described in various places as unaccredited and a diploma mill.

Did Nurmi go over her educational qualifications at the beginning of the direct examination of her? If he did, I must have missed it.

Nurmi had her identify the institution where she obtained her PhD when she first took the stand but someone upthread said Juan probably got it when he
deposed her.

It is interesting thought - an expert in any field has to have taken a lot of continuing ed credits, pass tests for certifications, attend formal trainings to have a certain number of hours of instruction, etc to become an "expert" in a specific area. She has stated she has a PhD and advised she has been in the "sex" field (industry?) for many years. We heard nothing about what makes her an expert in sexual proclivities - just told to accept the number of years she has been doing this.

I totally agree!!! And I think we will see a better outcome than Judge Lance Ito or Judge Belvin Perry's courtrooms!!

They've already beat both trials. They have a conviction of murder one - something neither received - now it's just deciding how Jodi is going to die in prison.

I feel so badly that the Alexander family members are being put through a wringer, again, by a DT that continues to slander TA.
And my sympathies to a jury that seems to be treated with callous disregard by the DT and JSS.

The defense has asserted a lot of crap, none of it has been true. We all know in our guts that JM and law enforcement did nothing wrong. This will all be ripped apart and proven to be another BS tactic by Nurmi and the killer. No fear my dear.

I'm not the least bit worried 'bout it.

Yes, exactly! I have an interest in following cases of wrongful incarceration, there's a show on CNN called Death Row Stories about men wrongfully placed on death row. Most of those cases involve Brady violations, discovery violations and hiding of evidence. Never does it involve hiding evidence so insignificant as this. It's usually alternate confessions, conflicting witness testimony that's hidden, DNA evidence. Things that could actually get these men exonerated. Things directly related to guilt or innocence. What exactly would be the point of deleting the *advertiser censored* off of Travis' computer when they knew they had their man? And so early in their case when *advertiser censored* was generally irrelevant at that point. Why would they be so spectacularly stupid to sabotage their own case by deleting something that really doesn't matter? And leave things that hurt them more like the text messages and pictures of them having sex on the day of the murder? In such a strong case as this, no less. It makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't do it.

The real issue left, I feel, is whether or not all that *advertiser censored* would have helped Jodi. I guess it's a crap shoot, and AZL says probably not. I have to agree with that. It's such a small thing. This case was about premeditated murder. Even if it was revealed Travis was into the kinkiest, nastiest *advertiser censored*, I don't think it would have mattered to the jury. It would not have mattered to me. I think they got to that jury room and blocked out all the noise and lies and victim bashing and got to the bones of the case: was this a premeditated murder. I believe they focused on the evidence of that and on Jodi's lies related to the actual crime and came to the most logical conclusion.

I think the only way it would have helped her was possibly if it was child *advertiser censored* because that's the only kind Jodi ever talked about. And it clearly wasn't. Like I've said before, if you're going to try and convince me that someone was a pedophile you better have some damn evidence. And usually with pedophiles there is no shortage of evidence. They leave tracks. Either Travis was some mastermind at hiding things or it's just not there. Not on his computer, not in his past. It's just a vicious lie that Jodi just has to "prove." It's almost like it's more important to her than fighting for her own life.

Is it just me or do others remember this whole incident when JA described it during her testimony differently than what her DT are now putting forth?

Iirc, JA had said that she had walked in on TA doing his thing and that in his haste to get up when he saw her, he jumped up and one picture of a boy in spideypants fell on the floor from a pile of pictures that had been sitting on his bed. As it turns out there's an old family photo of TA as a young boy in spideypants with his Dad.

So imo, chances are he had a bunch of old family pics out(by then he was writing his blog articles and reflecting on his past, see the beginning of his book) and whether he was doing the deed or not, JA surprised him by walking in unannounced which likely lead to an argument. I believe that pic of a little boy had stuck in her head until she found a way to use it against TA(accusing him of the unspeakable AND making her wear little boy spideys... what a crock), she strikes me as the sort to make you pay for every little thing that you have ever done to rock her boat.

Did I misunderstand?

She can give life with the "possibility" of parole, but for that possibility to occur (1) the process for getting parole, which currently doesn't exist, would have to be reinstated, and (2) the parole board would have to be lobotomized.

I have to believe that Juan just letting out that line for her to hang herself during testimony. She said so much that he can come back with later. Either as a rebuttal or at closing

And if not, I perhaps as a juror might feel inclined to "take up" for the one that has left with their line of questioning.

I remember during the FCA trial, we had an entire thread of quotes from the trial. It was hilarious at times, and just downright fabulous words at other times. This trial, awwwww, we don't have one. But heck, we do have some folks who's names reflect the trial forever here, e.g. YesOrNo :floorlaugh:

Don 't say 4th of July... that was the verdict with Caylee... :( I'll have to head to her thread which Tulessa and WolfMom light a candle for her twice a day. So special... join in there perhaps to do a thanks on that thread which is always up top for recent posts EVERY DAY after all this time. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?217552-Light-a-Candle-by-Your-Computer-Tonight-3/page11

ene4!!! :blowkiss: ene4! ene4!

It's a long one, but I will watch it! Thanks for taking the time to post the link Shady!

ATL. you forgot all the new words and phases we've learned in this trial. I have never heard three hole wonder, toss salad, cream pie, pedo pamphlets at the mall before in my near sixty thee years on this earth. I'll always remember Jodi saying she awoke to Travis having anal sex with her and her first thought was ut oh.

Rereading BK from yesterday. At the very beginning of court she says a bailiff came out of the jury room, then handed a note to JSS, who promptly called counsel up the bench.

Hmm. A juror problem that had nothing to do with questions?
I'm a gazillion pages behind but your post made me think of last weeks instruction from JSS. She asked jurors to check their calendar as the trial would go past the previous December 18th date. I am thinking this juror had a conflict going into January.

Is it just me or do others remember this whole incident when JA described it during her testimony differently than what her DT are now putting forth?

Iirc, JA had said that she had walked in on TA doing his thing and that in his haste to get up when he saw her, he jumped up and one picture of a boy in spideypants fell on the floor from a pile of pictures that had been sitting on his bed. As it turns out there's an old family photo of TA as a young boy in spideypants with his Dad.

So imo, chances are he had a bunch of old family pics out(by then he was writing his blog articles and reflecting on his past, see the beginning of his book) and whether he was doing the deed or not, JA surprised him by walking in unannounced which likely lead to an argument. I believe that pic of a little boy had stuck in her head until she found a way to use it against TA(accusing him of the unspeakable AND making her wear little boy spideys... what a crock), she strikes me as the sort to make you pay for every little thing that you have ever done to rock her boat.

Yup. That was her story. Her initial story, told in interviews to her experts, was that she found him masturbating to *advertiser censored* on his computer. But when she realized that those things are easily traceable, she backtracked (as did her experts...) and came up with the new story of him lying on the bed with pics surrounding him...it actually makes me laugh, it's so stupid.

If Darryl takes the stand as a witness, I sure hope the first question JM asks on cross is "Is the photograph of the erect penis that was sent to JA yours?" Then, at least that mystery will be solved.

LMAO, :floorlaugh: :hilarious: :silly:

I also hope they bring out the fact that he had anal sex with Jodi.

Hi all, I'd like to throw in some commentary regarding Mormon singles culture which might illuminate Jodi's strategy.

I am a former Mormon and believe it helps to understand that Mormonism is a recognized subculture with its own rules and tabus, which differ from regular America. For example, masturbation is a big deal and boys and girls are interviewed about this by their bishop from the age of 12 on (sometimes they skip the girls but never the boys). Every young woman is taught from childhood that marriage in the temple is her goal because only there can she go to the highest realm of heaven, the Celestial Kingdom and remain with her family (Mormons call that being "sealed" to their children and spouse). A man can be sealed to more than one woman, for example, his divorced wife and his present wife, but a woman can only be sealed to a worthy male Mormon once and cannot be released from that to remarry (after divorce) if she has a worthy male lined up to take his place, and if first husband gives his permission and states that there is no moral iniquity in her preventing her from remarrying.

This difference in power means the women do the picking because they have much to lose if they pick a non-worthy male. Every faithful Mormon single woman wants a "worthy" male that can take her to the temple for marriage. She is also looking for a returned missionary because that is the test of fire for the faith. A man who has been excommunicated would have little to offer the top-tier virgin Mormon woman--and by the age of 25, she's been waiting a long time. Mormons do not follow the modern trend to wait until later for marriage and children. When I was 28, I was considered over the hill and was sent to the family ward.

Being "sent to the family ward" means a person is no longer allowed to attend a singles ward, where the eligible people are all mate-shopping. When a single is sent back to the family ward, i.e., the parish nearest their home where all the families are attending, it means the church does not feel that person is a good candidate for marriage to other LDS people. They need to repent, or the church doesn't want them infecting the other singles with their problem (sex, coffee, drugs,alcohol, *advertiser censored*, etc).

We know CMJA was desperate and playing her last blackmail card. I submit to you that singles who are excommunicated may lose status and be working on repentence, but they are not shunned or treated badly. They may only be disfellowshipped (allowed to go to meetings but not the temple, cannot take the sacrament). If they are in a stage of repentence, they are usually supported in that. If they re-offend, however, that's another story. Then a "Court of Love" is convened with church officials to review evidence against them, such as the testimony of the other party. Then they are excommunicated as a habitual offender and the road back is longer.

No top tier Mormon woman would date an excommunicated man in the casual, collegial, fun environment of the singles wards. But there are plenty of jack mormon single women (believe but don't follow minor rules like the dietary ones). And they might not mind a bit.

Knowing the complete details of the sexual histories of both parties, it it less likely that TA would have initiated any kind of sex with Jodi on or around her baptism. He would have had to qualify to perform the baptism in the first place by having an interview. Since lying Arias said the oral sex in the car after the baptism was their first encounter, he must have passed the interview and therefore the who-corrupted-who torch passes to Arias. Is it more or less likely that a man on probation, so to speak, who has worked his way up to qualifying to baptize some would immediately risk it all to have himself serviced by a woman to whom he has been preaching the gospel? A woman he thinks whose life he is changing?

Skipping to the endgame here, the question was raised that people are wondering what Jodi was threatening Travis with. Had he embezzled, had he done this or that, let me tell you right now that ALL the regular frauds are understood with Mormons in that they are forgiveable. In Mormon culture, *advertiser censored* has a much higher place in the hierarchy of sins than it does with the general public. For most of us, *advertiser censored* on a man's computer is hohum unless there are excessive or weird practices, violence, etc. Men like to look at naked women ho hum.

In Mormonism, *advertiser censored* addiction is a serious problem. Utah has the highest consumption of *advertiser censored* per capita than any state in the union. It also has the highest suicide rate for young men ages 16 - 24 and these tend to be disaffected Mormons who feel worthless and have stopped going to church due to masturbation or *advertiser censored* problems. No Mormon boy can pass the sacrament as a 12 year old deacon if he admits to masturbating. So the kids suffer terrible public humiliation as the rest of his quorum goes to pass it and he is seen just sitting there, face burning, with everyone knowing what he probably did to get his privilege revoked.

I think it helps to understand this culture when talking about child *advertiser censored*. It is considered the worst thing you can do short of raping a child yourself. If you confess to this, your life in Mormonism is over. You would never be considered for leadership (as a male) and you would never be able to have a calling where you worked with children. That would leave you jobs in the church where you worked alone, like cleaning the toilets on a Saturday when the kids are gone. You would be a pariah and would not be welcome in either the family or the singles wards. Most likely you would never work in the "morridor" (Mormon corridor) of Idaho-Utah-Arizona because such excommunications are announced in priesthood meetings. There is no question that his employment as a role model/public motivational speaker would be over.

I have no proof of this, but my gut tells me that Jodi Arias planted child *advertiser censored* on Travis' computer. Records show she accessed the computer during the visit. He didn't know she did it until she told him as part of her final blackmail attempt. She wanted to capture the look on his face when she told him--that's what the closeup camera shoot was about. You can see the strange look on his face where he seems to be realizing something. He's realizing she's a monster bent on destroying him. He knew what this would mean--even if he deleted it, it still would be "there". Sharing some speculation here and welcoming comments pro/con.

Hope you find this background helpful.

Hi all, I'd like to throw in some commentary regarding Mormon singles culture which might illuminate Jodi's strategy.

I am a former Mormon and believe it helps to understand that Mormonism is a recognized subculture with its own rules and tabus, which differ from regular America. For example, masturbation is a big deal and boys and girls are interviewed about this by their bishop from the age of 12 on (sometimes they skip the girls but never the boys). Every young woman is taught from childhood that marriage in the temple is her goal because only there can she go to the highest realm of heaven, the Celestial Kingdom and remain with her family (Mormons call that being "sealed" to their children and spouse). A man can be sealed to more than one woman, for example, his divorced wife and his present wife, but a woman can only be sealed to a worthy male Mormon once and cannot be released from that to remarry (after divorce) if she has a worthy male lined up to take his place, and if first husband gives his permission and states that there is no moral iniquity in her preventing her from remarrying.

This difference in power means the women do the picking because they have much to lose if they pick a non-worthy male. Every faithful Mormon single woman wants a "worthy" male that can take her to the temple for marriage. She is also looking for a returned missionary because that is the test of fire for the faith. A man who has been excommunicated would have little to offer the top-tier virgin Mormon woman--and by the age of 25, she's been waiting a long time. Mormons do not follow the modern trend to wait until later for marriage and children. When I was 28, I was considered over the hill and was sent to the family ward.

Being "sent to the family ward" means a person is no longer allowed to attend a singles ward, where the eligible people are all mate-shopping. When a single is sent back to the family ward, i.e., the parish nearest their home where all the families are attending, it means the church does not feel that person is a good candidate for marriage to other LDS people. They need to repent, or the church doesn't want them infecting the other singles with their problem (sex, coffee, drugs,alcohol, *advertiser censored*, etc).

We know CMJA was desperate and playing her last blackmail card. I submit to you that singles who are excommunicated may lose status and be working on repentence, but they are not shunned or treated badly. They may only be disfellowshipped (allowed to go to meetings but not the temple, cannot take the sacrament). If they are in a stage of repentence, they are usually supported in that. If they re-offend, however, that's another story. Then a "Court of Love" is convened with church officials to review evidence against them, such as the testimony of the other party. Then they are excommunicated as a habitual offender and the road back is longer.

No top tier Mormon woman would date an excommunicated man in the casual, collegial, fun environment of the singles wards. But there are plenty of jack mormon single women (believe but don't follow minor rules like the dietary ones). And they might not mind a bit.

Knowing the complete details of the sexual histories of both parties, it it less likely that TA would have initiated any kind of sex with Jodi on or around her baptism. He would have had to qualify to perform the baptism in the first place by having an interview. Since lying Arias said the oral sex in the car after the baptism was their first encounter, he must have passed the interview and therefore the who-corrupted-who torch passes to Arias. Is it more or less likely that a man on probation, so to speak, who has worked his way up to qualifying to baptize some would immediately risk it all to have himself serviced by a woman to whom he has been preaching the gospel? A woman he thinks whose life he is changing?

Skipping to the endgame here, the question was raised that people are wondering what Jodi was threatening Travis with. Had he embezzled, had he done this or that, let me tell you right now that ALL the regular frauds are understood with Mormons in that they are forgiveable. In Mormon culture, *advertiser censored* has a much higher place in the hierarchy of sins than it does with the general public. For most of us, *advertiser censored* on a man's computer is hohum unless there are excessive or weird practices, violence, etc. Men like to look at naked women ho hum.

In Mormonism, *advertiser censored* addiction is a serious problem. Utah has the highest consumption of *advertiser censored* per capita than any state in the union. It also has the highest suicide rate for young men ages 16 - 24 and these tend to be disaffected Mormons who feel worthless and have stopped going to church due to masturbation or *advertiser censored* problems. No Mormon boy can pass the sacrament as a 12 year old deacon if he admits to masturbating. So the kids suffer terrible public humiliation as the rest of his quorum goes to pass it and he is seen just sitting there, face burning, with everyone knowing what he probably did to get his privilege revoked.

I think it helps to understand this culture when talking about child *advertiser censored*. It is considered the worst thing you can do short of raping a child yourself. If you confess to this, your life in Mormonism is over. You would never be considered for leadership (as a male) and you would never be able to have a calling where you worked with children. That would leave you jobs in the church where you worked alone, like cleaning the toilets on a Saturday when the kids are gone. You would be a pariah and would not be welcome in either the family or the singles wards. Most likely you would never work in the "morridor" (Mormon corridor) of Idaho-Utah-Arizona because such excommunications are announced in priesthood meetings. There is no question that his employment as a role model/public motivational speaker would be over.

I have no proof of this, but my gut tells me that Jodi Arias planted child *advertiser censored* on Travis' computer. Records show she accessed the computer during the visit. He didn't know she did it until she told him as part of her final blackmail attempt. She wanted to capture the look on his face when she told him--that's what the closeup camera shoot was about. You can see the strange look on his face where he seems to be realizing something. He's realizing she's a monster bent on destroying him. He knew what this would mean--even if he deleted it, it still would be "there". Sharing some speculation here and welcoming comments pro/con.

Hope you find this background helpful.
Let's hope there aren't Mormons on this jury then. They shouldn't be judging the victim more than the perp. She was out to destroy his career as well if she'd actually let him live!

BBM.
I completely agree with you. I don't see this as Travis being mean or abusive in the least, since Jodi earned and deserved those words by her behavior. Does anyone really think you're supposed to be nice to a stalker who has slashed your tires, hacked into your computer, stolen your diaries, cheated you out of money (for the wrecked car) and other such behaviors???

It's the only way I think Travis knew how to get rid of her. I don't think he knew that he needed to completely cut all contact with her and get a restraining order/call the police when she showed up, his background never prepared him to deal with a psychopath.

To me that says I HAVE REACHED MY LIMIT WITH YOU!

The defense isn't saying it was OK for her to kill him because he looked at child *advertiser censored*. Well, yes, they ARE saying that, but they're PRETENDING to say that the child *advertiser censored* was just an incident that happened to make the relationship more stressful and abusive, which, combined with JA's already screwed-up mind, led her to react in a premeditated and cruel manner.

Well, you have to admit that the expert they put on the stand was very convincing. Her professional demeanor and deep knowledge of things like orgasms and shaved :cat: was impressive.

I agree but the DT is asserting that the state hiding this *advertiser censored* stuff made Jodi look like a liar to the jurors. The state hid something to make Jodi look like more of a liar than she already was. They're saying this further prejudiced the jury against her. It's pretty rich, obviously, because Jodi is a liar and this doesn't go to all of the other lies she told on the stand. But this is the DT's assertion and this is why I think that will be the main issue now, whether the *advertiser censored* would have helped her at all, either in proving her story of how the abuse escalated after she discovered his addiction or in proving her veracity, in general, whether the state hid it intentionally or not.

Why would the state intentionally alter evidence here? She's not...... Sorry I had to. I stopped myself before doing time I hope. :blushing:

I guess it depends on whether the DT "expert" can turn a Dell into the Compaq Presario hd. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what his report had been done on and not the CP. You can just imagine how delighted the DT was that they may have overlooked that they had done their analysis on the wrong hd, at least until the PT caught it.

Did that really happen? Did the defense definitely use the wrong computer for their testing? Is it a computer Travis ever really used? :laughcry:

I think the first question will be; "Where's your brother Larry and your brother Daryl."

I hope they won't make him prove it on the stand! :scared:

Nurmi had her identify the institution where she obtained her PhD when she first took the stand but someone upthread said Juan probably got it when he
deposed her.

It is interesting thought - an expert in any field has to have taken a lot of continuing ed credits, pass tests for certifications, attend formal trainings to have a certain number of hours of instruction, etc to become an "expert" in a specific area. She has stated she has a PhD and advised she has been in the "sex" field (industry?) for many years. We heard nothing about what makes her an expert in sexual proclivities - just told to accept the number of years she has been doing this.

Women in the sex field look like her and ALV.
Women in the sex industry look like Julia Roberts <----- If you pay enough. JMO

She can give life with the "possibility" of parole, but for that possibility to occur (1) the process for getting parole, which currently doesn't exist, would have to be reinstated, and (2) the parole board would have to be lobotomized.

BBM

:laughcry:

I agree with this. Imagine if you wrote the question about the Hughes and you were thinking the Hughes probably didn't like JA after awhile, but Doc F infers that they would have felt more sorry for JA. That would burn your brain with the knowledge that the good Doc isn't very good at deciphering the written word. JMO

Snipped by me. . . Thanks for sharing, very insightful. The dabbling Mormon killer blackmailed Travis, her evilness is beyond anything I can describe.

I don't care how much *advertiser censored* was on Travis' computer and one incident of alleged child *advertiser censored* from the lying killers mouth does not make it so, DT is reaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member