Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening to all of you!
Hope we'll hear DeMarte today. Wishfull thinking, I know...

Not sure how useful this is but as at least an initial checklist seems fairly spot on, though obviously you would need to know how to test and score these attributes. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare_Psychopathy_Checklist
Psychopathy Checklist-Revised: Factors, Facets, and Items[10]

Factor 1

Facet 1: Interpersonal

Glibness/superficial charm
Grandiose sense of self-worth
Pathological lying
Cunning/manipulative

Facet 2: Affective

Lack of remorse or guilt
Emotionally shallow
Callous/lack of empathy
Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

Factor 2

Facet 3: Lifestyle

Need for stimulation/proneness to boredom
Parasitic lifestyle
Lack of realistic, long-term goals
Impulsivity
Irresponsibility

Facet 4: Antisocial

Poor behavioral controls
Early behavioral problems
Juvenile delinquency
Revocation of conditional release
Criminal versatility

Other items

Many short-term marital relationships
Promiscuous sexual behavior

Early factor analysis of the PCL-R indicated it consisted of two factors.[12] Factor 1 captures traits dealing with the interpersonal and affective deficits of psychopathy (e.g., shallow affect, superficial charm, manipulativeness, lack of empathy) whereas factor 2 dealt with symptoms relating to antisocial behavior: (e.g., criminal versatility, impulsiveness, irresponsibility, poor behavior controls, juvenile delinquency).[12]
That's a psychopath, alright. Just a few things: most clinical psychs don't use the PCL-R. It's usually used mostly in a forensic setting, like testing people incarcerated, pre-sentencing psych evals, etc. Many clinicians do use the MCMI or MMPI though and diagnose using the DSM - in the latest version of the DSM, psychopathy is only on the scale of antisocial personality disorder. As such, psychopathy isn't a diagnosis most clinical psychs would use.

There is a ton of debate within the psych community (like decades worth) over psychopathy -> if it's real, if it's the same disorder as antisocial personality, whether sociopathy and psychopathy are interchangeable, etc. It's tough to get a grasp on it when even professionals can't agree. ;)

My two cents is that psychopathy is a real personality disorder in and of itself. Most psychopaths test high for antisocial but not all antisocials test high for psychopathy. If one thinks of cluster B disorders (histrionic, narcissistic, antisocial and borderline) like siblings it helps. You know, there's a family resemblance. The PD's are very similar - there's a slight overlap with all of them (and psychopathy). So, when someone is comorbid (a mix of psych disorders) it can be very difficult to see which 'parent' the eyes or ears come from.

Just as an example: psychopaths, borderlines, and antisocials especially often have difficulty maintaining interpersonal relationships but the reasons why are totally different.

I personally believe Jodi is a blend of narcissistic, antisocial, and borderline....but most importantly and predominately, psychopathic.

JMO and FWIW (Happy to have Mindmatters correct me too since I got my psych degree through the School of Hard Knocks. :))

Exactly AZL. They took a look at the BPD diagnosis and created a narrative consistent with the criteria. DeMarte was spot on with the diagnosis with BPD, now the challenge is to present JA's complex personality profile in context of forensics, not in context of general mental health.

She could say it in one short sentence. "JA is still trying to kill TA as if he's not quite dead enough to suit her."

I'm not sure why, but I'm getting this feeling there will be no testimony today.

Before things get going today, I want to thank Frigga and Curious in Indiana for explaining my post MUCH more eloquently than I could. I was really down and their taking time to do so meant So much.

Really glad you're feeling better Potboiler, yesterday was a rough day for everyone. ((Big hug))

Carolyn Sung ‏@CarolynSungCNN · 2m2 minutes ago
#jodiarias just seated wearing a black top and Nurmi just walked in

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 1m1 minute ago
Painting you a picture. Sky Hughes in the house. Maria wearing a bright, blue blazer with a black skirt. #JodiArias in black.

:seeya: 10:00 am Arizona time ... of course, court never starts on time.

Anyone finding any Tweets for today ?

It looks like a lot of the media has lost interest in this re-trial and have moved on to other high profile trials.

Yeah.. Someone should let Arias know this. She'll be devastated :giggle:

‏*advertiser censored* · 2m2 minutes ago 
@TrialDiariesJ DeMarte defines class, professionalism and intelligence.

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · now
Janeen is in a navy blue suit and she's so tall! Judge is on the bench #jodiarias #3tvarias

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 13s 14 seconds ago
Judge is addressing the motion to preclude DeMarte and Juan says the report was disclosed 3 years ago so this isn't an issue #jodiarias

Tammy Rose ‏@News20Chopper · 1m1 minute ago
There is a motion to preclude Dr. Janeen Demarte. Juan is up addressing issue. #JodiArias

It will be interesting to see what the Judge does with this silly motion... very telling.

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 28s 28 seconds ago
#jodiarias is here in black...#3tvarias

Who is BK? thanks

Beth Karas. A journalist, friend of the Alexanders, and owner of the website KarasOnCrime. Not known for drama and hysterics, but for doing her best to report and evaluate reality. Seemingly a lovely person, to boot.

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer · 1m1 minute ago
Judge Sherry Stephens skipped the usual opening sidebar this morning in #jodiarias and went right to a motion to preclude Dr. DeMarte.

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 3m 3 minutes ago

The heat it on with Janeen DeMarte! Look forward to hearing the word "objection" a lot. #jodiarias

Yep ... objection after objection after objection :gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member