Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't learn much new today. But there were a few new, text or conversations between TA and friends and him talking about JA still stalking him and that he was concerned she might kill herself. Also I believe he mentioned her tapping into his email and text, and/or other accounts knowing what he was doing, warning the female that JA might send her a email. (and she might be listening to them)
I like to be a straight shooter. My opinions may be different than some or most. I would have voted for LWOP the first go round and that is still where I am today. Nothing to do with this punishment retrial. I must say that there is a very good chance of JA having the verdict of DP. I also think that LWOP might be a worse punishment for her. JMOO>

Today raised some questions that I didn't have in the first go round. Because I didn't know of the conversations mentioned above it just seemed odd that TA would be complaining about JA but continue to have sex and phone sex with her. If I would have had some time lines maybe I wouldn't have questions. I hate Twitter Trial. LOL>
This didn't mean in any way shape or form that TA deserved to be murdered. Just thoughts I had. Moo

I don't know if this has been on here or not, but earlier today someone was asking who Michelle Lowery is. I looked it up. She is Mimi's friend. Mimi called Michelle and her boyfriend to come to Travis's house the night before she and Travis were supposed to go to Cancun. Michelle's boyfriend and Travis's roommate Zach Billings were the two people who found Travis's body in the shower.

Thank you so much! I had asked the question and don't recall seeing the answer. I couldn't find out when I googled either. Thanks again!!

But what if you could lock up the dog with rabies away for life (providing food and such as needed) and throw away the key? If you had this option - would you kill him even though it's not his fault he has rabies?

a dog that sick would destroy itself. as for a person, they would destroy everything around them.

Funny. I've thought all along that she'd get the DP. Now I think LWOP hovers in the air. Briefly. For this little lull, before the DT wipes out any last chance she has by going after DM tomorrow.

Since I'm already over the fence, might as well type out some of my other thoughts that have been bugging me today.

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer 37s37 seconds ago
Borderlines can keep emotions inside and then explode violently, DeMarte says.

Does the anger associated with the Borderline Personality Disorder, could it be so extreme, that it could have contributed to how she was able to slaughter him like that? Yes I know that having BPD doesn't automatically mean you're going to kill. But when you do kill, does BPD make the killing more anger-filled in a sense?

I thought the DT's 2 "experts" were not allowed to diagnose, but only gave opinions. If so, who is the second Dr.?

It wouldn't surprise me if Geffner read his script wrong, or his obvious imo narcissism caused him to balk at agreeing with the much younger DrD's finding of BPD, opting for a last minute BP instead.

I am 100% convinced that the jurors will have this discussion when they deliberate, and that the DP will hang in the balance. If the mood here is any indication, the best she can hope for is 11-1 walking in, with those 11 not budging till the 1 surrenders. :)

I'm not, the trial's not over today.:snooty: Any misconceptions of BPD will come out in jury questions or Juan can still clear them up. I don't see the jury not connecting the suicide attempts and BPD as manipulation, not poor widdle Jodi couldn't control herself. Juan has gotten Death before and for a woman in AZ, no reason he won't do it again!
Today was in no way a good day for the DT, it just can't be spun that way. New things we didn't know about how evil she is have come to light-like her eavesdropping on his phone conversations. Also, we weren't there in the courtroom getting the impact of it all. Tweets don't convey everything.

I believe in the DP, and especially for her. Unfortunately,I think there will be at least 1 juror that will see her borderline diagnosis as a mental illness and feel it is a mitigating factor. I just pray that JSS gives her LWOP.

I wonder if anyone on the jury will have a hard time reconciling the sex on the day of the murder. I am in the camp ( I think a camp with very few members) that is not convinced they had sex that day, but the case has been presented that they did, and so just wondering if anyone on the jury may have that weigh into their vote? IDK. It just doesn't jive with all we heard today that Travis would have gone for it at that point in time. Those texts with his friend were in late May. But again, as someone else suggested a few days ago, maybe JA came unannounced but gave the old "I am so sorry, let's make up, let's move on, let's do it for old time's sake speech" and Travis fell for it?? Maybe she threatened suicide?

I think with what all the jury has heard in the last two days about JA and her manipulation games they will think she manipulated him so his guard would be down when she murdered him. Or they will even question the sex that was supposed to have happened that day.

The family did already address the jury, correct, And they asked them to render a death sentence?

I think her band of supporters did her a real disservice by feeding the monster. She only admitted to the killing after she had two years worth of DV supporters telling her he deserved it; it fed into her devaluation of him. If she had stuck with the ninja story, at least her arrogance wouldn't have lifted to the point of dragging the Alexanders into a deeper pit of sorrow.
The ninja story wasn't going to fly. Any lawyer, even Jose Baez would've told her that story wouldn't fly, there was zero evidence of an intruder, let alone two, and every evidence of Jodi being there- despite the gas cans & receipts with her bloody palm print on the wall.

I'm not, the trial's not over today.:snooty: Any misconceptions of BPD will come out in jury questions or Juan can still clear them up. I don't see the jury not connecting the suicide attempts and BPD as manipulation, not poor widdle Jodi couldn't control herself. Juan has gotten Death before and for a woman in AZ, no reason he won't do it again!
Today was in no way a good day for the DT, it just can't be spun that way. New things we didn't know about how evil she is have come to light-like her eavesdropping on his phone conversations. Also, we weren't there in the courtroom getting the impact of it all. Tweets don't convey everything.

Don't think anyone is spinning this day as a win for the DT....

I don't mean to be rude either and you have to trust me when I say I know every little thing she's said and done to TA and his family. I don't need to see any pictures to remember anything. I've been here since the beginning and I never troll. Nothing will change for me regarding her GUILTY verdict. BPD or not, she premeditated his murder.

My dilemma right now, is in how much she can control the things she do. The cheery little Jodi, the lying Jodi, the devaluing Travis during this trial. Is that BPD? Can she HELP the way she is? If she cannot, I'm leaning towards LWOP.

Of course she can help the way she behaves!!! Not all BPD people murder in jealous rages. A personality disorder does not even come close to what is considered legal insanity. Some BPDs benefit from counseling. Jodi even admits in her tests some of the traits, so if she is aware of them, she can control them.

The state only has to prove one aggravating factor beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a done deal: A.R.S. § 13-751(F).

Here, in the penalty phase, the defense is allowed to offer mitigating circumstances. (Edited here to remove inadvertent misinformation clarified by AZL) Sentence of death or life imprisonment; aggravating and mitigating circumstances; definition.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/00751.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS.

In proffering mitigation, the burden of proof is on the defendant and the standard is lower than beyond a reasonable doubt; instead the DT's burden is by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not or some say at least by 51%). The mitigating factors they can consider are as follows:

A.R.S. § 13-751(G). The trier of fact shall consider as mitigating circumstances any factors proffered by the defendant or the state that are relevant in determining whether to impose a sentence less than death, including any aspect of the defendant's character, propensities or record and any of the circumstances of the offense, including but not limited to the following:

1. The defendant's capacity to appreciate the wrongfulness of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of law was significantly impaired, but not so impaired as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

2. The defendant was under unusual and substantial duress, although not such as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

3. The defendant was legally accountable for the conduct of another under the provisions of section 13-303, but his participation was relatively minor, although not so minor as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

4. The defendant could not reasonably have foreseen that his conduct in the course of the commission of the offense for which the defendant was convicted would cause, or would create a grave risk of causing, death to another person.

5. The defendant's age.

Jurors do not have to agree on which one, just that there is one:

A.R.S. § 13-751(C) ...If the trier of fact is a jury, the jurors do not have to agree unanimously that a mitigating circumstance has been proven to exist. Each juror may consider any mitigating circumstance found by that juror in determining the appropriate penalty.

And here's the kicker: A.R.S. § 13-751(E)
E. In determining whether to impose a sentence of death or life imprisonment, the trier of fact shall take into account the aggravating and mitigating circumstances that have been proven. The trier of fact shall impose a sentence of death if the trier of fact finds one or more of the aggravating circumstances enumerated in subsection F of this section and then determines that there are no mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency.

Shall means mandatory, not optional.

Looks like Arizona uses the ALI Model Penal Code test for legal insanity. http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/the-model-penal-code-test-for-legal-insanity.html

As to mitigating circumstance (1), your fear that she could not appreciate the wrongfulness (criminality) of her actions or she could not conform her conduct to the law is rebutted by the fact she premeditated, lied and took other actions to cover up the crime because she understands the difference between right and wrong.

In addition, because BPD, while referred to as a mental illness, is still a personality disorder and not on the level with the type of mental illness, like schizophrenia, that would cause an irresistible impulse. In addition, I believe that the diagnosis of a mental disease or defect that would cause an someone to lack control of an implies must be diagnosed by a licensed professional, and I might have missed it, but don't remember any experts testifying it was impossible for JA to control her violent impulse to kill. Besides, if it was planned, it wasn't an impulse, right?

So, that leaves the jury with either:

2. The defendant was under unusual and substantial duress, although not such as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

or

5. The defendant's age.

That is why they are relying SO MUCH on convincing a juror that TA was not only the first aggressor, but a terror, an abuser, sexually deviant, manipulator - so much so that JA was under unusual and substantial (that's an AND, not an OR) duress.

However, I did see an old interview with one of the original jurors where she opined it wasn't Jodi's gender as much as her age, that caused reluctance to impose the DP.

I am learning so much about the AZ Rules of evidence...use every day as an opportunity to learn something new :)

all BBM and all stated "in my opinion."

The family did already address the jury, correct, And they asked them to render a death sentence?

The family is not allowed to ask for a specific sentence, but I think the jury may have gotten the drift. ;)

Does the anger associated with the Borderline Personality Disorder, could it be so extreme, that it could have contributed to how she was able to slaughter him like that? Yes I know that having BPD doesn't automatically mean you're going to kill. But when you do kill, does BPD make the killing more anger-filled in a sense?

~rsmb
Very likely imo. If JA had another man in the wings, or a decent job, or a comforting place to escape and lick her wounds, TA might still be alive. Instead, she was back in Yreka, in a tiny, cluttered alcove, without even a GED, nursing her grievances and blaming TA for 28 yrs. worth of her own failures.

Since I'm already over the fence, might as well type out some of my other thoughts that have been bugging me today.

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer 37s37 seconds ago
Borderlines can keep emotions inside and then explode violently, DeMarte says.

IF a juror tried to argue that as a mitigating factor I would plotz.

Meh...I sort of do believe it. Suicide is right up her alley, in theory. The drama! The imagined remorse from everyone who let her down! The ultimate FU, w it no worries someone else gets the last word!!!!!

Problem is, it hurts. And by that, I mean it hurts her. And so that's just not happening.
Jodi is the kind of person who will threaten suicide or maybe make a feeble attempt, like the razor nick for the attention and drama it commands, not because she wants to die. A person who really wants to commit suicide will find a way without calling attention to themselves, like Robin Williams, God Rest His Soul.

Of course she can help the way she behaves!!! Not all BPD people murder in jealous rages. A personality disorder does not even come close to what is considered legal insanity. Some BPDs benefit from counseling. Jodi even admits in her tests some of the traits, so if she is aware of them, she can control them.

The state only has to prove one aggravating factor beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a done deal: A.R.S. § 13-751(F).

Here, in the penalty phase, the defense is allowed to offer mitigating circumstances, but they must be ones codified in A.R.S. § 13-751(G) - Sentence of death or life imprisonment; aggravating and mitigating circumstances; definition.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/00751.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS.

In proffering mitigation, the burden of proof is on the defendant and the standard is lower than beyond a reasonable doubt; instead the DT's burden is by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not or some say at least by 51%). The mitigating factors they can consider are as follows:

A.R.S. § 13-751(G). The trier of fact shall consider as mitigating circumstances any factors proffered by the defendant or the state that are relevant in determining whether to impose a sentence less than death, including any aspect of the defendant's character, propensities or record and any of the circumstances of the offense, including but not limited to the following:

1. The defendant's capacity to appreciate the wrongfulness of his conduct or to conform his conduct to the requirements of law was significantly impaired, but not so impaired as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

3. The defendant was legally accountable for the conduct of another under the provisions of section 13-303, but his participation was relatively minor, although not so minor as to constitute a defense to prosecution.

4. The defendant could not reasonably have foreseen that his conduct in the course of the commission of the offense for which the defendant was convicted would cause, or would create a grave risk of causing, death to another person.

5. The defendant's age.

Jurors do not have to agree on which one, just that there is one:

A.R.S. § 13-751(C) ...If the trier of fact is a jury, the jurors do not have to agree unanimously that a mitigating circumstance has been proven to exist. Each juror may consider any mitigating circumstance found by that juror in determining the appropriate penalty.

And here's the kicker: A.R.S. § 13-751(E)
E. In determining whether to impose a sentence of death or life imprisonment, the trier of fact shall take into account the aggravating and mitigating circumstances that have been proven. The trier of fact shall impose a sentence of death if the trier of fact finds one or more of the aggravating circumstances enumerated in subsection F of this section and then determines that there are no mitigating circumstances sufficiently substantial to call for leniency.

Shall means mandatory, not optional.

Looks like Arizona uses the ALI Model Penal Code test for legal insanity. http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/the-model-penal-code-test-for-legal-insanity.html

As to mitigating circumstance (1), your fear that she could not appreciate the wrongfulness (criminality) of her actions or she could not conform her conduct to the law is rebutted by the fact she premeditated, lied and took other actions to cover up the crime because she understands the difference between right and wrong.

In addition, because BPD, while referred to as a mental illness, is still a personality disorder and not on the level with the type of mental illness, like schizophrenia, that would cause an irresistible impulse. In addition, I believe that the diagnosis of a mental disease or defect that would cause an someone to lack control of an implies must be diagnosed by a licensed professional, and I might have missed it, but don't remember any experts testifying it was impossible for JA to control her violent impulse to kill. Besides, if it was planned, it wasn't an impulse, right?

So, that leaves the jury with either:

or

5. The defendant's age.

That is why they are relying SO MUCH on convincing a juror that TA was not only the first aggressor, but a terror, an abuser, sexually deviant, manipulator - so much so that JA was under unusual and substantial (that's an AND, not an OR) duress.

However, I did see an old interview with one of the original jurors where she opined it wasn't Jodi's gender as much as her age, that caused reluctance to impose the DP.

I am learning so much about the AZ Rules of evidence...use every day as an opportunity to learn something new :)

all BBM and all stated "in my opinion."

Hi, Ziggy. The defense is not limited to the mitigating circumstances listed in the statute--see bold & red by me above. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem