Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were on the jury, I'd be thinking how thoughtless is this woman? She can't even face his family? She can't even face what she did?

And why has not one single family member or friend got on the stand to say anything positive about her.

If I were on the jury, I'd be thinking how thoughtless is this woman? She can't even face his family? She can't even face what she did?

Exactly. If I was a juror that is exactly what I would be waiting on and for her to either stand or even turn to them on the stand, look them directly in the eyes, and tell them she is so so sorry, and wish she hadn't ever murdered their brother.... whom she knows they love so much.' And then ask them to forgive her if they can.

But that will never happen and even if she said those exact words they would come across as dry practiced lines with no real emotion behind them. Its hard for JA to even fake remorse. First, one has to know what it feels like to have remorse and I don't think JA has ever felt sad for another human being she has hurt. She does feel sadness for herself but that only shows how self centered and cold she really is.

Even when she was on the stand in the last trial she used her long hair as a prop so no one could see she really wasn't shedding any tears when she pretended to be.

IMO

Daisydomino.. Who came close to guessing the final date of trial?

Is the final date when the defense rests, when the jurors get the instructions, or when they return with a verdict or deadlock? When I made the poll, I put verdict on it, but we can award winners for all of the above if you like.

JA asks JSS to read the purposes again, show remorse, explain crime, bring mitigating factors to attention of jury.

Jodi says she does not wish to allocute in open courtroom.

I think JSS should call her bluff by saying, "Okay, Jurors, you're dismissed until after Jodi gives herself a private allocution. Clear the court." Jodi remains with only her stun belt and shackle manager for company.

Per BK....exact words of JA when JSS asked her one last time if she'd allocute:

" not at this time."

So, let me see if I followed correctly today.

2 jurors got kicked off. One is a guy who says serial killers should get DP, the other is a lady who's daughter has a record. Both sound imo defense friendly jurors. Wilmott comes in with a big folder. Jodi Arias argues that she should be able to allocute in private, but is not allowed to. The jurors get instructions. Tomorrow we get closing arguments. It's Nurmi/Juan/Nurmi. Because seriously why would they let Wilmott up for a speech now? But Jodi Arias isn't even going to try to say anything? The Innocence Project isn't coming for you, girl. Say something.

:goodpost:

That's exactly what I'm worried about.

Since you didn't quote anyone can you tell me what you are worried about MaLou?

I feel pretty good right about now myself.

I think JM is going to put it altogether and have a great summation in CA.

Oh no! My husband just texted me that he has to have oral surgery on his infected tooth tomorrow at 11:00 AM there goes my early day to get into court. Would it be rude to tell him to take a taxi?

Dear Mr. Ziggy,

This is not a threat, but do you even realize the hell your life will become IF Mrs. Ziggy has to stay away from closing arguments tomorrow, not to mention the wrath from all of us here at WS? It will be far more painful than your tooth. Seriously, do what you need to do Ziggy... we will miss you, but hubby needs you more.

I think JSS should call her bluff by saying, "Okay, Jurors, you're dismissed until after Jodi gives herself a private allocution. Clear the court." Jodi remains with only her stun belt and shackle manager for company.

Perfect!! With a mirror of course.

Yeah, its interesting isnt it.

I probably have interpreted it all wrong. The way I take that 2nd paragraph is like this.

"No matter what evidence you may or may not have heard during this trial, you can vote any way you want".

Exactly. And if they come bck with LWOP we know who to thank.

COURTROOM OBSERVATION PART 2

A few more notes from my friend’s courtroom visits. Some of these tidbits are mixed up date wise, but come from Willmott questioning Geffner, Nurmi questioning DeMarte, and some of Juan’s redirect of DeMarte.

Huge toss up whose voice/courtroom demeanor is more unpleasant: (he actually used the words “repellant” and “brain searing” as well)
1. Willmott: condescending tone; too much “we’re just two friends having a funsy little conversation” with Geffner
2. Willmott: contemptuous little smirks when Martinez was redirecting
3. Willmott: so incredibly repetitious with her questioning! Began so many sentences the exact same way, used inflection in her voice in a strangely ineffectual way, could not have led Geffner more effectively had she given him her word for word script!
4. Willmott: was reminded of his 5 year old niece who objects and argues anytime she is being disciplined…..that Willmott had a hard time taking no from the judge and that it really scrambled up her thinking as she tried to get back into the questioning; going off script really seemed to throw her
5. Willmott: lots of what he called “quiet stomping” up to the bench, body language through her walking showing major ticked off, didn’t seem to try to hide it
6. Nurmi: if his lumbering movements with his head down like in charging mode was meant to intimidate, epic fail!
7. Nurmi: as repetitive as Willmott was with her speaking patterns, Nurmi was downright predictable: “well let me ask you this” “Let’s back up” and using 100 words and redirects in a straightforward question. “T” said he’s seen this before with attorneys and it’s used to confuse and keep the witness off balance, but in his opinion was a convoluted attempt at best and was so overused it added to the monotony and extremely slow pace.
8. Nurmi: Was a “brutish Neanderthal” attacking DeMarte, and in his opinion less than zero effectiveness. Seemed he had coined some phrases he wanted to throw at her and got them in as often as possible: Dr. Death; concocting stories with Martinez; etc. He said it was like a 12 year old boy trying to be the to impress the girls.
9. Nurmi: preoccupation with his phone never ending and comical in his blasting of the media while scrolling so fast on his phone he probably got “carpal forefinger”
10. Nurmi: when not up speaking, he could not retain an upright position in his chair. Slumped, collapsed like in his chair, flopping hard into it,
11. Nurmi: watching over his shoulder a lot at the gallery which T found interesting. Not as much jury watching as he would have thought, but any noise from behind him got his immediate attention.
12. Nurmi: even when at sidebar, Nurmi really trying to snag looks into the gallery
13. Nurmi: no recognizable manners noticed, except for bad ones.
14. MDLR: Uncomfortably cozy with Arias. Lots of “hair whispers”, a few back rubbing/touches which grossed him out and again made him wonder where security was
15. MDLR: Phone addiction like Nurmi, but with Nurmi he saw more scrolling and scrolling, whereas MDLR was either playing “angry birds” on her phone or doing a lot of texting as well. Found this especially distracting when such serious testimony was ongoing.
16. MDLR: She and Arias liked “sharing”
17. JM: Wasn’t in the best position to see him unless he was standing. But said he never “walked angry” like W and N
18: JM: Almost always looking straight ahead, no phone games, no note sharing, no “hair whispers” no gallery staring
19: JM: loved the way he ambled up to the every 20 second sidebar, and appeared so composed at the bench (most of the time) while Willmott had her hands flailing and Nurmi just “stood and hulked mad” (which means looked angry just standing there)
20: JM: counted several times at sidebar called for by defense when it was over and he would start to walk back but W or N often had just one more thing to add and they had to go back!!
21. JM: loved his style of even keeled questioning whether his own witness or defense witness. Said it was for all, ‘just answer my question w/out all the extraneous BS’
22. JM: thought he was insanely quick with facts and could recover even when there was an objection after every question
23. JM: saw what appeared to be him affectionately/reassuringly looking back at Alexander family often when returning from sidebars.

Interesting: The first day Tony was there he was dressed in a suit, just coming from a meeting or on his way to one. (He’s a nice looking guy……..she coyly says!) He met Nurmi and Willmott(who he wasn’t sure were Nurmi and Willmott at this point) as he was going in the door to the courtroom and they were going out. Willmott smiled like she recognized him (which she couldn’t have), said hello, and Nurmi held the door open and said some kind of greeting. Later that day, possibly because he was sitting on the public side behind Arias’ family, Willmott caught his attention again and asked if he could hear alright from where he was sitting!?!?! HUH?!?! The next time he was in court he was dressed more in going to the airport for a long flight attire, still nice but not a suit, and was talking very briefly to who I think from his description might have been Paul Sanders. Willmott saw him in the queue waiting for the elevator and this time didn’t return the smile Tony gave just to test his theory. Make of it what you will!

All for now……this is so much of what you folks have already noticed either during the guilt phase televised or through others’ tweets. But from those of you who have either been in the courtroom or had conversations with court watchers know, it’s so much cooler to get the first hand impressions!!

LMAO:laugh::laugh:

Probably she hopes that not doing it will enhance her chances of winning an appeal based on her sudden fear of testimony oops I mean allocution. Mistrial motion #infinity will be that the higher Court said she couldn't testify in private but allocution is not testimony, therefore the judge erred and prevented her from presenting allocution.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I can't remember if the COA/SC rulings mentioned allocution.

Oh no! My husband just texted me that he has to have oral surgery on his infected tooth tomorrow at 11:00 AM there goes my early day to get into court. Would it be rude to tell him to take a taxi?

Taxi, please. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member