Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if Tanisha and Samantha are back in the courtroom? I'm sick to my stomach thinking about TA's family having to listen, AGAIN, to this slimy testimony. Shame on Nurmi...I have no words. Disgusting.

If this were my brother they were talking about, I'd be in jail right now after listening to this carp.

Worth repeating. It really shows what classy, wonderful people the Alexanders are. I would have blood in my eyes if I had to hear this about my brother after his violent death at her hands. Already proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM - I'm pretty sure no gas cans were ever recovered either. I always figured she had a nice big bonfire somewhere in the desert and destroyed all the evidence she had with her.

I also have wondered if she dropped the knife and gun into one of the gas cans and then later had that bonfire in the desert as you suggested. JMO

The juror questions are bothering me. Are they questioning the GUILTY verdict? Or hopefully, are they wondering what her state of mind was after she slaughtered him?

Me too, but I admit to feeling negative after this afternoon's cross of Flores, using him as a Mormon expert on a sex tape he had nothing to do with retrieving. But, in retrospect, maybe the jurors know they are lacking the less relative details of the murder, and are suffering from the urge to 'sleuth'. We all can relate to that. lol.

Was JA with TA during the month of March at any time where she would have access to his phone to text? Remember how TA was pizzed off because JA was sending texts and emails to other girls?

One of them was sent in May. Jodi lived in Yreka in May. She couldn't have done it.

Eta: never mind you were right, it was in March.

She definitely could have done it.

But Flores did say something about Travis maybe saying 'love you' at the end of the call. Did he? I haven't heard the whole call.

AZlawyer, can you give us the definition of slander as it is seen in a court of law. I have been told that it is very hard to successfully sue/accuse someone of slander as it has to cause certain repercussions and I cannot remember what that was.

Slander is a complicated area of law not susceptible to a one-sentence explanation. But the important parts for purposes of this discussion are that you cannot sue for statements made in court or for slander of the dead.

I thought the jury's questions were very astute. Putting 2 + 2 together to complete the picture.

She would fare far better if she had gone a totally different route. She could have talked about her dysfunctional childhood, father punching her, past boyfriends being emotionally abusive, etc etc...then she meets a powerful, charismatic man and falls totally in love. When he forsakes her, she snaps, and is NOW full of pain and remorse ....PEOPLE COULD MAYBE BUY THAT. But bashing and degrading her victim is not the way to go if she wants to be shown mercy, imo. :no:
"She" hasn't done anything yet. Defense has only been responding to evidence presented by Prosecution. Starting Thursday we'll be wading through the real slime!

@monicalindstrom: I think the jury questions are just logical questions about the facts, the last jury had some of the exact same ones @_xxxxx #JodiArias

I think that the defense is shooting themselves in their foot by trashing Travis the way they are. Especially without any proof of their claims. While Jodi may be getting her sick thrills from these lies being spewed against Travis again, I do believe that the jury will hold these lies against her.

MOO

I really hope they don't go into that much more. I agree, it's not going to help JA.

Ok, thanks. That sounds similar to what I have heard. Plus something about slander having to cause monetary damage to that person. Which couldn't possibly apply since he is dead. So basically it is a no holds barred type of situation.

Slander is a complicated area of law not susceptible to a one-sentence explanation. But the important parts for purposes of this discussion are that you cannot sue for statements made in court or for slander of the dead.

@monicalindstrom: IMO jury questions don't point one way or other, think they are just the ?? that a person would have who hasn't heard the case b4 #JodiArias

Absolutely. I think every one of us wondered about the room mates at one point, where they were, how they didn't hear anything, what they knew, and how they found his body if they didn't know he was murdered. It's natural to be curious about them.

Does anyone know the purpose of having Flores read the text and explain the tape? It seems odd that he would be asked these questions by Nurmi-other than shock value.

I have to agree on the bashing of JSS..... It needs to stop. She is doing the best she can with what she has...

Hey, I don't like her style. She could exert more control. It also makes her decisions, that take soooo long, look tentative. She doesn't strike me as someone confident overseeing court. Therefore, people are not happy with her. It makes her look wussy.

And I personally have problems with the leeway she gives to the defence who are, indeed, making a circus out of everything. Meanwhile, my major problem with her is the ongoing secrecy, and her disrespect for the rights of the community to know. This is a trial not really open to the public. I believe her behaviour is shaped by the defence.

Does anyone know the purpose of having Flores read the text and explain the tape? It seems odd that he would be asked these questions by Nurmi-other than shock value.

Jumping off ...

Could Flores have refused to read aloud the text [not Flores' words!] due to its vile content? TIA

Hey, I don't like her style. She could exert more control. It also makes her decisions, that take soooo long, look tentative. She doesn't strike me as someone confident overseeing court. Therefore, people are not happy with her. It makes her look wussy.

And I personally have problems with the leeway she gives to the defence who are, indeed, making a circus out of everything. Meanwhile, my major problem with her is the ongoing secrecy, and her disrespect for the rights of the community to know. This is a trial not really open to the public. I believe her behaviour is shaped by the defence.

I don't like her style either. She is the judge and has to comply with the law. We may not like it, but I do think she is being overly cautious to avoid appellate issues. :twocents: I think she wants this monster to get the DP as much as the rest of us, but we do have to abide by law.

That bill just corrected an odd interpretation of Tennessee law by the Tennessee Supreme Court. The underlying intent of the law was restored. AZ law is very similar. You can't trash the victim unless it's relevant.

Thanks, AZ. So the Tennessee courts are attempting to look like they've done something to protect victims rights, but in reality, they did very little if anything, and in fact, only restored what they should have been doing all along. So in the end, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's very little more than a bunch of political BS... they're working really hard, after all, there are elections coming up... and so on.... :blah: Well just color me surprised.

ETA: re: bolded in your post: So anything is relevant even if it's an unsubstantiated fabrication. :mad: That's what gets all over me. Not mad at you AZ, just at the system.

I think this choice by Nurmi suggests that JA will not be testifying (only allocuting). Trials are organized around witnesses, so he had to get it in through someone.

I agree she needs to exert more control over the courtroom, and the secrecy is IMO highly disturbing and inconsistent with AZ law. But she is not favoring the defense except when she's required by law to do so.

Jumping off ...

Could Flores have refused to read aloud the text [not Flores' words!] due to its vile content? TIA

No he could not.

Actually, I think he could have, and JM should have objected. IMO the judge would have made Nurmi read it and just ask Flores questions. There's no reason a witness should be roped into play-acting with the defense counsel.

Thanks, AZ. So the Tennessee courts are attempting to look like they've done something to protect victims rights, but in reality, they did very little if anything, and in fact, only restored what they should have been doing all along. So in the end, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's very little more than a bunch of political BS... they're working really hard, after all, there are elections coming up... and so on.... :blah: Well just color me surprised.

ETA: re: bolded in your post: So anything is relevant even if it's an unsubstantiated fabrication. :mad: That's what gets all over me. Not mad at you AZ, just at the system.

The problem is every allegation Jodi has made she made sure to make it relevant to her defense. She has to establish the abusive relationship to explain why he'd attack her. Her discovery of his pedophilia is when the escalation of abuse began.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member