RI - Michael Woodmansee, killer of Jason Foreman, 5, released 12 years early

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you google "Satanic Bible banned in Ireland", several answer sites come up. I found three sites which state that it was banned in 2002. Who knows? 1973 was certainly before what is now known as the "satanic hysteria". But a teen who really wants something will find a way. After all, wasn't birth control also banned for a very long time in Ireland. No doubt some found its way to folks via the black market.

One comment I ran across is that this killer might very well have been following some "Christian" rite. Being that there's mention in the articles from 1973 of a crucifixion of the boy and the three "hosts", it could be. The looking for rabbits disturbs me as animal sacrifice figures into many pseudosatanic rituals. Steve Newberry was assisting his friends torture and kill a kitten just prior to his planned murder by baseball bat. The Russian teens who confessed to killing their friends in a satanic ritual murder, also tortured and killed animals at the same time.

But if it was a "Christian" rite/ritual, that's frightening to consider that the man in now involved in a Christian church. I found an odd coincidence. There's a Catholic priest who specializes in exorcisms. His name is the same as the child who was murdered.

http://www.catholicsun.org/2011/january/22/exorcism-hollywood.html

"...Fr. John Horgan, a scholar on exorcisms and pastor of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish in Vancouver, British Columbia, was a consultant to the 2005 movie "The Exorcism of Emily Rose," a movie loosely based on an actual case in Germany...."

I noticed, too, that there was another murder in Ireland in 1973, attributed to the occult or "witchcraft"...that of 10 year old Brian McDermot of Belfast.

http://www.missingpersons-ireland.freepress-freespeech.com/BrianMcDermot.htm

I was intrigued, too, about Mr. Malone and the media referring to this murder as satanic, given that the "hysteria" didn't really hit until the 80's. In looking back at old articles and comments by those who knew both John and Brian in the 70s, the words; "witchcraft" and devil-worship", come up repeatedly, not satanism. And I am in NO way comparing or linking paganism to devil-worship, please note.

It seems that Brian McDermott's murder may have been solved, or at least there is a POI. His older brother confessed to his wife that he did it, decades later. The killer would have also been around 15 at the time that he killed the 10 year old younger brother and burned and dismembered him.

I'm just curious as to what led Irish school boys to commit such horrific crimes at that time. Had certain films just been released, books, TV shows?

Here's an update on the investigation into Brian's death. No doubt it will figure into Mr. Malone's book too:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Was+B...R?+EX-WIFE'S+CLAIM+35YRS+AFTER...-a0173849670

"....Parents were scared for their children. There was definitely a fear at the time, people thought it was a ritual killing. There was all the talk about the devil worship...."

And another about William McDermott, a very frightening man:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/i-know-he-is-coming-to-get-me-13381405.html

Wow, this has twists and turns. Seems like William confessed and then recanted:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-25251208.html

"...A MAN who is the "prime suspect" in the murder of his schoolboy brother almost 40 years ago has said he is not a killer and wants to clear his name once and for all.

William McDermott has been quizzed several times about the murder of his 10-year-old brother Brian, whose butchered body was discovered in the River Lagan in 1973, but he has never been charged. William McDermott signed a police statement in 1976 admitting his guilt and in 2008 a court in England heard that he had confessed to his former wife that he was the killer...."

So if William admitted his guilt in 1976, when he was 18, why wasn't he charged? The Brian McDermott story is a confusing one. Lots of theories and forum posts about little Brian.

These stories lead me closer to the more neutral stance Believe suggested: any strange, particularly gruesome murder, most often concerning children, tends to evoke cries of "Satanism!" For example, in what way does the murder of the brother by the man who purportedly confessed it to his wife, show anything that could be called a sign of satanism?

I believe the rumors at the time were due to the fact that the child's remains were found in a sack in the river. The boy's body had been burned and dismembered. His older brother, William, went on to commit a number of crimes and was later jailed for death threats against his wife. There are numerous articles on line which quote children and teens from the time, 1973, recalling that their parents expressed concern about "devil worship". For quite some time children playing unattended in Belfast ceased due to families' fear.

It's interesting but I see no mention of any connection drawn, at the time, between the two murders of John and Brian. That same issue comes up in the self-professed satanic killing of young Steven Newberry of Carl Junction, MO and the disappearance of Randy Leach, just a couple hundred miles away, in Linwood, KS. Randy disappeared from a teen party where numerous witnesses have stated that occult practices were taking place. Adults were present and there are confirmed reports that young girls were being "used". Even though Randy nor his car has never been found, LE and private investigators agree that some form of dabbling in the occult most likely is a factor. There's a Find Randy Leach FB page and a play was produced about the impact of the disappearance on the community. Just as in little John Horgan's death, a book is being written and the case is frequently covered on cold case TV and radio shows.

I've always found it strange that neither Randy's parents nor LE ever seemed to look just down the highway at Carl Junction. Steve was brutally killed in December 1987 by a group of friends who planned a "satanic murder"....a "sacrifice". Randy disappeared in April 1988, the same month that Robert Berdella of Kansas City was caught. Berdella owned Bob’s Bizarre Bazaar (proudly selling the Satanic Bible and other occult items) and lured young male prostitutes to his home where he drugged, raped, tortured, and photographed them, only a few miles from Randy's home. Berdella was convicted and died in prison. It is thought that he killed at least six teen and young men. To me, there seems to be a common thread, call it what you will. All involve teens and/or young men who had access to books on the occult and a fascination with such practices.

Organized crime hits, gangland murders and hate crimes are labeled as such. I've never understood why the American public is so unwilling to consider that there could be something connected with satanism or pseudo-satanism, a motivation to torture or kill which is inspired by the study of satanism and dark rituals.

Am I the only one to find it odd that we seem to have a disparity of reaction to crimes? if a group of angry youths kill someone in a drive-by shooting and sport identical tattoos and clothing, the Gang Enforcement Team is immediately called in. Yet, if a person is murdered in certain definable ways ie. including specific rituals or staging or animal abuse, most seem to shrug and say, "crazy teens". Maybe I've just been too close to some of the evil. I think it permanently effected the way I look at things.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-10-20/news/mn-5325_1_human-sacrifice (An excellent overview of Steven Newberry's murder--11 pages)

http://www.randyleach.com/ (details about Randy Leach's disappearance and theories)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/bob_berdella (overview of the "Kansas City Butcher", Robert "Bob" Berdella--14 pages)

Concerning ritual killings, I started a thread the other night about a Nigerian pregnant mother's home which was uncovered. The girls and young women were carrying children who were to be sold into human trafficking, illegal adoption, and for the purpose of rituals.

I don't want to believe this level of evil but I'm afraid I can't stay in denial forever.

I believe the rumors at the time were due to the fact that the child's remains were found in a sack in the river. The boy's body had been burned and dismembered. His older brother, William, went on to commit a number of crimes and was later jailed for death threats against his wife. There are numerous articles on line which quote children and teens from the time, 1973, recalling that their parents expressed concern about "devil worship". For quite some time children playing unattended in Belfast ceased due to families' fear.

Miss Izzy, setting aside the numerous other cases where you give detailed and interesting information, if we focus on just the case I was asking about before and about which I quote your response above, what concrete details support or even suggest a satanism connection?

See, this is where I think useful, objective, concrete evidence falls away to mystic obsession and even hysteria. Remains found in a sack in a river. Victim burned, dismembered. Perp may have committed more crimes later. And then, the first unsupported connection to anything about Satanism: rumors of "devil worship" among the public at the time.

These varied kinds of details surround all sorts of mysterious murders, where Satanism has no cause or place, where the idea never even arises. I'm suggesting that it is very easy to be swayed by the reporting and start to see things that aren't there just because they're insinuated in convincing ways.

I'm sure that there are a number of unsolved murders and disappearances of children in Ireland where the occult does not figure in at all. My assumption is that their statistics look much like ours. Children are most often killed by their parents or other caregivers. According to US statistics, children are most often killed due to physical abuse/rage or during the commission of a sexual crime or to cover up that crime. Relatively few are abducted and killed for sexual purposes by strangers. There are surely many many cases in Ireland, where the concern about a ritual killing or the occult never comes up. It's only when dates or small details surface (sacrificial items, staging, etc.) or even a long standing rumor in the community where I would raise the question. Brian's body got in the sack somehow and that's quite unusual to my mind. I only brought up that death as I kept running across it while researching John and it happened the same year. Both murders occurred long before the so-called satanic panic and John's was quickly "hushed up" and Brian's death brought about whispering of "devil worship". The suspected killer of Brian happened to be the same age as the killer of little John. Many can kill but far few can dismember or crucify a human body, IMO.

FWIW, never in a million years would I have thought that I'd be researching these issues but my life took an unplanned and unfortunate turn 12 years ago. That event, the rape of my children, has caused me to look at things a bit differently. PMs from many other WSers who were the victims of ritual abuse have convinced me that this evil does exist. I surely don't have the answers or know the "truth" but I do ask questions.

The cases that I mentioned are those where the perpetrator clearly admitted that there were occult motivations for the crime or it seemed apparent to LE through investigation. I'm certainly not going to doubt a person who admits their motivation--whether it is jealousy, rage, gang-related, or occult-related.

Who knows about little John and Brian? John's death certainly seems highly unusual--a crucifixion by a 15 or 16 year old--where would a young teen get that idea? It's also highly concerning being that the convicted killer is now working with a church--presumably with children and presumably without the church members' or clergy's knowledge of his past. Maybe I'm totally off base and he is supervised. We don't have all the information.

I have a healthy skepticism but my mind is far more open than in used to be. No doubt, we'll learn in October if Mr. Malone has uncovered any pertinent information.

Oh my! How can this be? This man should never be free.

He committed himself voluntarily for life, IIRC.

He committed himself voluntarily for life, IIRC.

Well, not quite. He agreed to voluntary commitment but he can be reevaluated every six months. Involuntary commitment would have been more ironclad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back