Rons Impending Plea

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we have to remember, Shoemaker said that Ron would testify against Misty and/or Tommy to cut a deal. Where is that deal? Shoemaker spoke of it and apparently it is off the table so maybe, just maybe, Ron Cummings will be held accountable in some manner after a rap sheet that suggests long-term criminal behaviors. ALL JMO. :)

Yes, and *sigh* if he were to testify against Misty for a deal then I have to wonder what he'd have to say that he has held back (not said) and why was it held back? That is a daunting thought.

moo

I can't even fathom a state's attorney buying the idea that RC sold drugs to get close to Misty to get her to talk, or bought drugs because he was vulnerable to addiction due to grief over Haleigh. He was no stranger to drugs before Haleigh went missing, and he had ample time to get Misty to talk if that was ever his intention.

I am not attacking your post, HH; I agree with you that they might try this tactic. Just saying the SA can't be that gullible. Well, shouldn't be, at least.

I can't even fathom a state's attorney buying the idea that RC sold drugs to get close to Misty to get her to talk, or bought drugs because he was vulnerable to addiction due to grief over Haleigh. He was no stranger to drugs before Haleigh went missing, and he had ample time to get Misty to talk if that was ever his intention.

I am not attacking your post, HH; I agree with you that they might try this tactic. Just saying the SA can't be that gullible. Well, shouldn't be, at least.

No worries :) I can't fathom it either--but IIRC, TN said either on the phone call or NG that was why Ron was with Misty--so this defense option was floated early and I can see Shoemaker going with the grieving dad or "keeping his enemies close" as a sympathy ploy. The DA does have some interesting tapes wherein Ron admits using and even pops a pill. But I think Shoemaker will try to get his time reduced by either method. :banghead:

Yep, it's a defense attorney's job to try everything they can to get the best possible outcome for their client. But I remember Shoemaker once saying, when they were discussing going for a 15 year deal, that he would like to do better by his client but the situation is what it is...

I took that to mean the situation is that while people lie like rugs, videotapes don't.

RC has major problems with his case. Selling over 28 gms x2 and it being on tape...
Lordy! Put a fork in him...

well, if this goes in front of a jury or even a soft hearted judge, it might be bought. I was reading a news site, & posters were actually saying that they think Ron should be set free to grieve, because he had accomplished the job of getting Misty locked up. just drop charges & release him. So, a lot of people have bought his story...& realistically, noone can prove that getting answers from Misty wasn't Ron's intention. If he can build a big enough case against Misty, on how stubborn she was, & how he was so desperate for answers, that he was scared to let her out of his sight,,,I think there might be some buyers. Also, here on this site, we use a lot of objectivity, but elsewhere? not so much. There has been a huge backlash against Misty. She is, for A large part, seen as a Casey Anthony clone, who took advantage of Ron & then killed his child.

well, if this goes in front of a jury or even a soft hearted judge, it might be bought. I was reading a news site, & posters were actually saying that they think Ron should be set free to grieve, because he had accomplished the job of getting Misty locked up. just drop charges & release him. So, a lot of people have bought his story...& realistically, noone can prove that getting answers from Misty wasn't Ron's intention. If he can build a big enough case against Misty, on how stubborn she was, & how he was so desperate for answers, that he was scared to let her out of his sight,,,I think there might be some buyers. Also, here on this site, we use a lot of objectivity, but elsewhere? not so much. There has been a huge backlash against Misty. She is, for A large part, seen as a Casey Anthony clone, who took advantage of Ron & then killed his child.

Hard to find a soft hearted judge. I looked at some of their calendars...lol.

They pack over 45 inmates into a four hour period...just their afternoon track. Over 40 are drug cases and all are pre-trials. Must be common practice for druggies to plead NG. These judges must be oblivious to every hard luck story out there because they must have heard it all.

Now to get six jurors who will give the sympathy vote for rc won't be easy. The tape doesn't show any signs of grieving. They show a crafty drug manager. He buy, sells and distibutes. I think they would find him guilty in a New York minute.:croc:

LaRue is the judge, same as for Hope's case. Hope's ONE trafficking charge, as compared to Ron's what, five? Or is it six? LaRue doesn't strike me as either soft-hearted or an ogre. He seems to be fair and working within the laws. I really cannot see a jury acquitting Ronald Cummings, because emotion does not play into this; the verdict must be based on the evidence provided, and videotaped evidence is nearly impossible to refute. And the judge is not going to let RC go free on half a dozen trafficking charges after just recently sentencing his young cousin to 15 years. Should that travesty happen, I will be the first to jump on the corruption bandwagon!

Yep, it's a defense attorney's job to try everything they can to get the best possible outcome for their client. But I remember Shoemaker once saying, when they were discussing going for a 15 year deal, that he would like to do better by his client but the situation is what it is...

I took that to mean the situation is that while people lie like rugs, videotapes don't.

I am no legal eagle, so am hoping someone with a better understanding can explain this to me. What if Shoemaker goes before the judge and says he believes his client was a victim of entrapment? Would that then require a "real" trial or change anything Monday? TIA :)

I called the Putnam County Clerk of the Court late this afternoon. Ronalds trial is scheduled to start at 9am, Monday, 7/19/2010. The lady told me that does not mean it will start exactly at that time or ? Guess I will find out on Monday.

Ger...errrrr agent Gumdrop here...hehehehehe

We are so fortunate that we will have opinions and observations from locals, I just hope things really start Monday. As this case goes, so may the cases that follow. I just cannot give up on LE at this point, maybe baby steps, but perhaps more will follow. If Ron gets a long sentence, those still waiting their case will know what they are in for. They are young and 25 years is a looong time. Maybe, just maybe, this is the most productive thing that has happened in this case. For all of us here, it is about a precious little girl, and for some, it is their community that needs cleaned up and for all of us, justice for Haleigh's family that truly love her.

:praying:
We are so fortunate that we will have opinions and observations from locals, I just hope things really start Monday. As this case goes, so may the cases that follow. I just cannot give up on LE at this point, maybe baby steps, but perhaps more will follow. If Ron gets a long sentence, those still waiting their case will know what they are in for. They are young and 25 years is a looong time. Maybe, just maybe, this is the most productive thing that has happened in this case. For all of us here, it is about a precious little girl, and for some, it is their community that needs cleaned up and for all of us, justice for Haleigh's family that truly love her.

You put that so sweetly I just had to give you more that a push on "Thanks"
I don't know the count down, but I'm sure Whisp will update us shortly.

LaRue is the judge, same as for Hope's case. Hope's ONE trafficking charge, as compared to Ron's what, five? Or is it six? LaRue doesn't strike me as either soft-hearted or an ogre. He seems to be fair and working within the laws. I really cannot see a jury acquitting Ronald Cummings, because emotion does not play into this; the verdict must be based on the evidence provided, and videotaped evidence is nearly impossible to refute. And the judge is not going to let RC go free on half a dozen trafficking charges after just recently sentencing his young cousin to 15 years. Should that travesty happen, I will be the first to jump on the corruption bandwagon!
The main problem I see with Ron using this story as a defense, is Hope. How is he gonna explain why his young cousin was with them? But that may be why certain people made a point of distancing Hope from Ron, by calling her Misty's friend, & emphasizing how tight they were That may have been the attorney's strategy, all along..

Unless there are videos we have not seen, or the ones we saw had some verrrrry interesting stuff redacted, I see no entrapment. Not saying there isn't something we don't know about but based on what we have seen, no way was anyone forced to do something against their will. I am sure Misty's attorney hopes to claim entrapment as well. By the legal definition of entrapment, LE would have had to coerce them into doing something they ordinarily would not do. Maybe there is evidence of this; we will have to wait and see. But based on what I have seen so far, no way will entrapment fly with so many charges!

When a person is coerced into committing a crime it is usually committed under duress and once it's done they don't do it again, and again, and again...and again. The first offender program and drug courts in Florida are designed to deal with people who get hoodwinked into committing a crime by someone else, and those programs are a one-time deal. People who offend over and over are usually not doing so under duress.

And really, why would LE have needed to entrap Hope and Donna?

What possible reason does Shoemaker have to go to trial? The plea date came and went. IMO, he has something up his sleeve. It would seem in his client's best interest to have copped a plea. Hope's attorney, or someone, is appealing. I need to look that up. But why would Shoemaker take this to trial? I just don't get it. :banghead:

eta maybe Shoemaker knows that his client has been dishonest--remember his 5 to 12 work shift and the 3 hours overtime comment? Maybe he doesn't want to be involved with the Haleigh case ala Werter? Just a mucking fess. JMO

Ron has pleaded Not Guilty, but can change his plea at any time. Even if trial starts, he can change to Nolo at some point if he so chooses.

I am not sure Shoemaker will not take it to trial, though. For one thing, going to trial will delay things. Even if it just delays the inevitable, delays seem to be something they want and for some reason RC and his attorney seem to be wanting him to be the last one sentenced. Their Motion for Continuance was denied so they might opt to get their desired continuance in this round-about manner, IMO.

It's frushtrating watching these people wrestle with the legal system, paid for by the State of Florida, sitting in a county jail rather than in the prisons they deserve. I wonder if Misty and Casey will ever meet up in prison. They can braid each others' hair.

I really, really, really think that Ronald is going to take this to trial. We will see him cry and plead to a jury that he only did this to find his daughter, I mean he has to at this point if we are to take the tape of him and his mom at the jail seriously, when she said how proud of him she was, and he was the ONLY one would could get Misty arrested. I think they hope they a jury eats that up. I do think they are going to take this that far.

jmo

Does anyone know what Shoemaker's record of wins, losses and plea deals is?

Because I really don't see any attorney worth his pay taking this case to trial. The video with audio just will seal the faith of Ron, especially when he is telling the UC that he doesn't want anyone to know what he is doing because he is the one that had a daughter go missing.

I really, really, really think that Ronald is going to take this to trial. We will see him cry and plead to a jury that he only did this to find his daughter, I mean he has to at this point if we are to take the tape of him and his mom at the jail seriously, when she said how proud of him she was, and he was the ONLY one would could get Misty arrested. I think they hope they a jury eats that up. I do think they are going to take this that far.

jmo

Oh Chablis, your post made me giggle. Sorry, nothing personal but the entire image of Ron facing a jury is unbelievable to me.
Besides when the jury gets to view the tape where he gobbles down one of the tablets he got from the Undercover cop, there's no way anyone can believe he was setting up Misty in order to get her arrested for the sake of honoring his missing daughter.
And, I can't image Ron Cummings raising his right hand and be put under oath and allowing the prosecution to question him about anything to do with his drug charges.
Further, I don't see Ron, even in his own defense, willing to cooperate with LE and the court system in anything where's there a chance he has to answer to incidents that deal with his personal life or drug habit.
Of course, this is just my own opinion. And, you may be right on. But, I will be shocked to see Ron throw open his life and testify in front of a jury.
Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members