Rons Impending Plea

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Chablis, your post made me giggle. Sorry, nothing personal but the entire image of Ron facing a jury is unbelievable to me.
Besides when the jury gets to view the tape where he gobbles down one of the tablets he got from the Undercover cop, there's no way anyone can believe he was setting up Misty in order to get her arrested for the sake of honoring his missing daughter.
And, I can't image Ron Cummings raising his right hand and be put under oath and allowing the prosecution to question him about anything to do with his drug charges.
Further, I don't see Ron, even in his own defense, willing to cooperate with LE and the court system in anything where's there a chance he has to answer to incidents that deal with his personal life or drug habit.
Of course, this is just my own opinion. And, you may be right on. But, I will be shocked to see Ron throw open his life and testify in front of a jury.
Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I know, I laugh too, but what if it really happens? I mean we have to brace for that possibility because tomorrow is his trial day!!!! It is a jury trial, so there could be a day of picking jurors, does anyone know?

Well I recently sat on a criminal jury trial. Voir dire (or jury selection) can take a day or more. On my trial it took most of the day. There was only enough time for opening statements of the attorneys on that first day. I would think there may be a very intensive questioning of potential jurors during Voir dire in this case.

ETA the judge did however give each attorney a time limit. I believe after the initial questioning of the judge which took about one hour, out of 35 people a couple were eliminated. The judge gives a brief synopsis of the case also which takes time. Before she/he questions the larger jury pool.

Then numbers were chosen and 24 were seated. Then the Attorneys had 2 hours to question the 24 and eliminate any they did not want on the jury.

It took quite a while.

I think tomorrow is a day of reckoning for a community that has been under a microscope for a year and a half. I think the full weight of this community's justice system will be brought to bear against a criminal who has exhausted their patience.

Irregardless of the reprehensible crime of a little 5 year old girl vanishing, I believe they are tired of their tax dollars being spent because of his actions. They are tired of fist fights in the front yard, dead rats in mailboxes, high speed chases up and down their roads and highways during the middle of the night, threats to burn down houses in the "hood", DCF investigations, concerns about employee reactions to being terminated, and drugs, drugs, and more drugs. And that's just since February 10, 2009.

THIS time, they have the absolute goods. They have the crime in living color.

The dance was danced. It's time to pay for the music.

The main problem I see with Ron using this story as a defense, is Hope. How is he gonna explain why his young cousin was with them? But that may be why certain people made a point of distancing Hope from Ron, by calling her Misty's friend, & emphasizing how tight they were That may have been the attorney's strategy, all along..

Thanks Dodie, great post. I have a theory (it's pretty out there) as to why Hope was hanging around with Ron and his group of merry meds. Hope was infatuated with Ron.

Remember the phone call to her mother about riding to court with Ron in the same car? She sounded like a teenager obsessed with Ron. His attorney could say Hope did everything she could to be around Ron, even befriending Misty and Donna.

And, another theory is Shoemaker could play the Haleigh card. Ronald was so overwrought about losing Haleigh, he felt quilty because he wasn't home (he was at werk), and she was his "heart" he had turned to drugs to ease the pain and suffering of losing her.

Let's see what happens tomorrow!

Does anyone know what Shoemaker's record of wins, losses and plea deals is?

Because I really don't see any attorney worth his pay taking this case to trial. The video with audio just will seal the faith of Ron, especially when he is telling the UC that he doesn't want anyone to know what he is doing because he is the one that had a daughter go missing.

It is Ron's choice to go to trial. Shoemaker cannot force him to take a plea.

Ron is used to being able to talk his way out of everything. Ron has some in the media believing that he was duped into selling drugs by Misty and/or controlled/manipulated by Misty. Ron may just believe that this is another situation he can talk his way out and be free.

IMO, if Ron goes to trial it is because Ron wants to go to trial against Shoemaker's advice.

Thanks Dodie, great post. I have a theory (it's pretty out there) as to why Hope was hanging around with Ron and his group of merry meds. Hope was infatuated with Ron.

Remember the phone call to her mother about riding to court with Ron in the same car? She sounded like a teenager obsessed with Ron. His attorney could say Hope did everything she could to be around Ron, even befriending Misty and Donna.

And, another theory is Shoemaker could play the Haleigh card. Ronald was so overwrought about losing Haleigh, he felt quilty because he wasn't home (he was at werk), and she was his "heart" he had turned to drugs to ease the pain and suffering of losing her.

Let's see what happens tomorrow!

The problem with trying to claim that grief over Haleigh caused him to turn to drugs is they would be risking opening the door for his past drug arrests to come in. It would not matter that he was not "convicted." It could most likely by used for credibility purposes that Ron had a drug history.

The problem with trying to claim that grief over Haleigh caused him to turn to drugs is they would be risking opening the door for his past drug arrests to come in. It would not matter that he was not "convicted." It could most likely by used for credibility purposes that Ron had a drug history.

Yes, I thought of that also. But (really big but here,) could they possibly use the theory that yes, Ronald did do drugs in the past, realized his mistakes and was clean. He never touched drugs again until his daughter was taken from him.

:behindbar:

It is now 0 days, 17 hours, until Monday, July 19, 2010 and Ronald Cummings to appear at Putnam County Courthouse.

I'm not sure, but if he claims depression over Haleigh, that might open him up to questions about that day & night. I really don't think Ronald wants that to happen, so he's gonna have to very careful about what he says. His mom spouting off sound bites, to the media, is a whole lot different than Ron being under oath & being forced by the court, to follow up with answers. which has me wondering...could someone, such as Crystal, take these people to civil court? sue one, & call the others as witnesses? & I mean the whole bunch...the grandmas, WBG, NayNay, Cobra, Tim Miller, neighbors, co workers, etc...I would be interesting to compare the differences.

:behindbar:

It is now 0 days, 17 hours, until Monday, July 19, 2010 and Ronald Cummings to appear at Putnam County Courthouse.
]

LOLROF
I wonder how many meds he is asking for because of anxiety about tomorrow, and would they give him something to relax him? If anyone would know you would Whisp. Could you tell us please. txs

]

LOLROF
I wonder how many meds he is asking for because of anxiety about tomorrow, and would they give him something to relax him? If anyone would know you would Whisp. Could you tell us please. txs
No, he can't have meds just because he wants them for court. He can have what is prescribed to be given at the time of day they were written for. I doubt the Dr wrote his script for "As needed". So if he is to get meds at 7:30am, he will get them, otherwise he is out of luck.

Sure looks like he is on Antidepressents and I bet mood stabilizers. Doctors do no often give meds for anxiety in prison...it is rare. Many ADs contain antianxiety within them.

He can't be given many meds before court because he would claim it was the medication that made him say what he did. It is a fine balance.

I am wondering how much RC and his attorney would want Haleigh mentioned in court at this point. I believe if they bring her up, it would open up a line of questioning by the state and I am not sure they can risk that, or that RC wants much of anything about himself and his lifestyle discussed or questioned at length.

JMO, and if this has already been brought up I apologize; I have not had a chance to read all the messages yet.

And we have to remember, Shoemaker said that Ron would testify against Misty and/or Tommy to cut a deal. Where is that deal? Shoemaker spoke of it and apparently it is off the table so maybe, just maybe, Ron Cummings will be held accountable in some manner after a rap sheet that suggests long-term criminal behaviors. ALL JMO. :)

Bolded above: :waitasec: This is what really has me confused. What the heck can Ron offer in the deal about Misty or Tommy dealing drugs that LE doesn't already have, in video and audio, I might add????????? Real perplexing.

They will not bring up Haleigh in open court, imo. You can bet GMA has that covered in her letter to the judge.

Doubt this will move to trial. The State will probably drop some charges to get him to plea. I bet they're willing to go for 25 years. Shoemaker is holding out for 15 years. It should be interesting. It is up to the State to make the call....we'll see.

Yes, I thought of that also. But (really big but here,) could they possibly use the theory that yes, Ronald did do drugs in the past, realized his mistakes and was clean. He never touched drugs again until his daughter was taken from him.

Hey, this has worked for him before during the DCF investigation, I would not be surprised to see this pop up again.

Bolded above: :waitasec: This is what really has me confused. What the heck can Ron offer in the deal about Misty or Tommy dealing drugs that LE doesn't already have, in video and audio, I might add????????? Real perplexing.

That was Shoemaker babbling. RC wants to be sentenced last. The only thing he can offer is info on Haleigh.

The tapes make him look guilty on soliciting, purchasing and distributing over 28 gms. He has more serious charges than Jerome and Jerome got 15 years (he was sentenced for 14 to 28 gms)

Last night and this morning on Ch 12 Jacksonville news they had a blip about Ronald. I have looked and looked but no link or video of this blip. Basically they said that Ronald Cummings is slated for trial on Monday. Ronald is "trying" to make a plea deal with the state to testify against the other defendants for a 15 year sentence. They said he wants out of jail early? Whatever than means.

Ron can say, cry, plead, stand on his head, whatever; he HAS to do the minimum.

I want to ask a question:

The court records on Ronald state "Letter from Annette Sykes" I have never heard of this before. Does anyone have a clue what she could write in Ronald's defense that would help him in anyway? Is this letter writing something that is normally done?

I could see writing a letter if you were the victim of a crime but this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces