Rosie O'Donnell and Kelly Ripa...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
windovervocalcords said:
She just won't stop reminding everyone that she is a big,fat, mouthy NY dyke.

Well, that's just it Wind, I guess I would hope she would want to be more than just a "big, fat, mouthy NY dyke."

I guess when you look at it that way, perhaps this snafu w/ Ripa makes sense, as I bet Rosie sees her as a "little, ditsy, prissy, (but mouthy) NY married homophobe"

Eve

eve said:
Well, that's just it Wind, I guess I would hope she would want to be more than just a "big, fat, mouthy NY dyke."

I guess when you look at it that way, perhaps this snafu w/ Ripa makes sense, as I bet Rosie sees her as a "little, ditsy, prissy, (but mouthy) NY married homophobe"

Eve
You completely understood my post!

fundiva said:
By the way, has anyone seen the other videos on YouTube that shows her doing the same thing to Regis on not one, but three occasions? Are we to assume she was being disrespectful to Regis or is she just a hypocrite? I find the way both of them handled it to be the true test of class - Clay sent flowers and an apology for any offense she may have taken (since he intended none) and joked about it on the American Music Awards. Kelly, on the other hand, has a tirade about it with Regis on the Monday show and acted like a spoiled brat. She still hasn't let it go!
She's just a hypocrite. She does it as a joke to Regis, but is highly offended when Clay Aiken does it to her. And she's supposed to be a "professional?" That's a joke.

I used to like Kelly Ripa, but now she just grates. I would have snapped if anyone tried to cover my mouth too, but clearly Kelly is a bit of a hypocrit since she does that to Regis. I think she takes her "I'm cute and bubbly" routine a bit too far, especially with the male guests. On a side note, I also find her to be too skinny these days, not that it has anything to do with anything.

I still don't think it was a homophobic comment, but who knows. I'm more so amused by Rosie's unwitting insult to Clay when she basically said he wasn't cute.

Did anyone watch Kelly and her husband when they were on AMC? He was rumored to be a dancer at a gay club before he got his break on the show. If that's the case, I can't really imagine her being homophobic, but stranger things have happened.

MagicRose99 said:
I seem to find that last line of your statement very offensive. You speak as if all "straight" people are stupid and just cannot seem to grasp simple concepts. Perhaps it would be better to speak only for oneself and not insinuate being an "expert" on what "straight" people think.

Please feel free to get over yourself.

I meant exactly what wind said I meant. We were discussing perspective, not intelligence.

Masterj said:
I used to like Kelly Ripa, but now she just grates. I would have snapped if anyone tried to cover my mouth too, but clearly Kelly is a bit of a hypocrit since she does that to Regis. I think she takes her "I'm cute and bubbly" routine a bit too far, especially with the male guests. On a side note, I also find her to be too skinny these days, not that it has anything to do with anything.

I still don't think it was a homophobic comment, but who knows. I'm more so amused by Rosie's unwitting insult to Clay when she basically said he wasn't cute.

Did anyone watch Kelly and her husband when they were on AMC? He was rumored to be a dancer at a gay club before he got his break on the show. If that's the case, I can't really imagine her being homophobic, but stranger things have happened.
If Kelly married a gay man she may be pretty frustrated.

Masterj said:

Having seen the tape, I don't think Ripa's "hand" remark had anything to do with Aiken's sexuality. I think she was trying to make a joke out of the moment, but by that time everyone was uncomfortable and the joke came out awkwardly, that's all.

But Ripa could have just said as much. Not because she had done anything wrong, but because she was the host. Don't we all take responsibility for misunderstandings on occasion, even when we aren't at fault?

It would have been enough to say: "That (homophobic implication) wasn't what I meant. I'm sorry if anyone misunderstood."

newtv said:
thats the ral issue- most women would prefer other women gay or straight to sit quietly in the corner..rosie doesnt- thats the biggest issue people have and then they turn it into fodder for the subtle gay bashing that is so acceptable in the straight world.
Well, I don't know what women you are exposed to on a daily basis, but I am certainly not a woman who prefers other women to sit quietly in a corner. In fact, in my large circle of female colleagues and friends, I would say that NONE of them are as you describe "most women", and actually far from it.

I think that Rosie stepped over the line, period. I support gay people, but I do not support gay people's ridiculous antics simply because they are gay. I support straight people, but I do not support straight peoples ridiculous antics simply because they are straight. Just because someone thinks the way I do, it doesn't mean I will support absolutely anything they do.

I don't see Rosie O'Donnell as an activist. She's a talk show host. She happens to be gay. That doesn't make her an activist, IMO.

newtv, I understand your statement of how gays have had to live in the straight social structure and how homophobic comments and remarks are made daily, both intentional and in-your-face ways and also unintentional and subtely. I think the reason this subject was given it's own thread isn't because people want to defend a homophobic comment.....it was given it's own thread because Rosie turned something into a homophobic comment, felt the need to proclaim somebody's sexuality on national TV when that person has never done so, all in the process making herself look like a complete fool to many straights AND gays.

I can tell you that I have discussed this and shared this thread with my gay sister on quite a few occasions in the last week, so please before any retorts back with the inference that I can't possibly know how a gay person feels regarding this, my sister who is sitting right next me at this very second that I type this echoes my words and sentiments on this exactly.

Rosie is an angry woman---I don't care if she is vulnerable, it's no reason to spout meanness. That woman creates feuds continually with people on air in an effort to demean anyone simply to draw attention to herself. My gosh....people with epilepsy, Tom Selleck, Kelly Ripa, and even Kirstie Alley.

windovervocalcords said:
If Kelly married a gay man she may be pretty frustrated.
I don't want anyone to misunderstand. I wasn't saying that she is married to a gay man, I was just stating his past rumored profession.

Masterj said:
I don't want anyone to misunderstand. I wasn't saying that she is married to a gay man, I was just stating his past rumored profession.

I thought you were clear, Masterj. wind was only saying "if."

julianne said:
Well, I don't know what women you are exposed to on a daily basis, but I am certainly not a woman who prefers other women to sit quietly in a corner. In fact, in my large circle of female colleagues and friends, I would say that NONE of them are as you describe "most women", and actually far from it.

I think that Rosie stepped over the line, period. I support gay people, but I do not support gay people's ridiculous antics simply because they are gay. I support straight people, but I do not support straight peoples ridiculous antics simply because they are straight. Just because someone thinks the way I do, it doesn't mean I will support absolutely anything they do.

I don't see Rosie O'Donnell as an activist. She's a talk show host. She happens to be gay. That doesn't make her an activist, IMO.

newtv, I understand your statement of how gays have had to live in the straight social structure and how homophobic comments and remarks are made daily, both intentional and in-your-face ways and also unintentional and subtely. I think the reason this subject was given it's own thread isn't because people want to defend a homophobic comment.....it was given it's own thread because Rosie turned something into a homophobic comment, felt the need to proclaim somebody's sexuality on national TV when that person has never done so, all in the process making herself look like a complete fool to many straights AND gays.

I can tell you that I have discussed this and shared this thread with my gay sister on quite a few occasions in the last week, so please before any retorts back with the inference that I can't possibly know how a gay person feels regarding this, my sister who is sitting right next me at this very second that I type this echoes my words and sentiments on this exactly.

Rosie is an angry woman---I don't care if she is vulnerable, it's no reason to spout meanness. That woman creates feuds continually with people on air in an effort to demean anyone simply to draw attention to herself. My gosh....people with epilepsy, Tom Selleck, Kelly Ripa, and even Kirstie Alley.
There are a few parts of your post that stick in my craw. I'll have to take them one at a time.
First of all, I think you may have personalized newtv's post. I don't think she was speaking to you specifically. It is true that women do pick on each other and tend to use the label when they do so.

As for calling what Rosie says "antics" and saying you don't support "antics" I think its too broad to possibly be true. Many performers use "antics' and if they strike us as true or funny we tend to be very forgiving. I cannot defend Rosie's remarks, I do not watch TV so I only know what people write which is their perception and opinion.

Rosie is an activist. You can google and find numerous references to her as a liberal activist (who happens to also be gay.)

That you don't care if she is vulnerable, bothers me a bit because I thought you were the poster who understood the point I raised as a possibility in my previous post.

I see that you have a gay sister. She will also tell you that gay people have many different opinions about others as straight people do. newtv is telling you how she feels. I tell you how I feel. Nova tells you how he feels. We agree with each other some of the time we differ other times. This is what all of us human beings do.

Your last statement that she creates feuds and tries to demean people in order to draw attention to herself is more interpretation. You may be right, I have no way of knowing because I do not know Rosie other than what I have seen on TV in the past. What I saw was a huge hearted funny person who cares about her children, her guests and many people in the world.

So we all have our different perceptions and interpretations. We see the world through the eyes of our experiences and prejudices.

julianne,

As far as I know, there is no special degree or qualifying exam necessary to become an "activist." It's a generic term and if Rosie O'Donnell doesn't qualify, who does?

Nobody in this thread said Rosie O'Donnell is allowed to say anything she wants "because she is gay." What some of us have been saying is that her experience as one of the most famous gay persons in the U.S. may have contributed to how she heard Ripa's remark. (I am on record as saying I think O'Donnell probably misunderstood.)

But for the 10,000th time: she did not "out" Clay Aiken. She did not say he is gay. Aiken had previously been the target of literally thousands of homophobic remarks on the internet and elsewhere. It is no great leap (and it does not require that he actually be gay) to think yet another homophobic remark might be directed at him.

Nova said:
But for the 10,000th time: she did not "out" Clay Aiken. She did not say he is gay. Aiken had previously been the target of literally thousands of homophobic remarks on the internet and elsewhere. It is no great leap (and it does not require that he actually be gay) to think yet another homophobic remark might be directed at him.
I agree she didn't "out" Clay Aiken; but being an activist who happens to be gay and defending him does someone insinuate that he is gay? I mean, if someone like Mario Lopez were on w/Kelly and she did the same thing would Rosie have come to his defense like she did with Clay?

Nova said:
julianne,

As far as I know, there is no special degree or qualifying exam necessary to become an "activist." It's a generic term and if Rosie O'Donnell doesn't qualify, who does?

Nobody in this thread said Rosie O'Donnell is allowed to say anything she wants "because she is gay." What some of us have been saying is that her experience as one of the most famous gay persons in the U.S. may have contributed to how she heard Ripa's remark. (I am on record as saying I think O'Donnell probably misunderstood.)

Rosie O'Donnell, Political Activist - A celebrity and her platform

Time magazine listed Rosie O'Donnell as one of the 25 most influential people in the country. She is very, very tough on conservatives.
In fact, Rosie O'Donnell has become the celebrity who most inflames the Right. She has surpassed Barbra Streisand, the Baldwin brothers, and even Jane Fonda, who has apparently found religion. Whether she's plumping for the Clintons, socking it to Rudy Giuliani, or leading the cry for gun control, Rosie is making conservatives choke. She is using the bully pulpit of her stardom with a vengeance. And, in some ways, she is the perfect expression of modern liberalism.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_11_52/ai_62838140

windovervocalcords said:
There are a few parts of your post that stick in my craw. I'll have to take them one at a time.
First of all, I think you may have personalized newtv's post. I don't think she was speaking to you specifically. It is true that women do pick on each other and tend to use the label when they do so.

As for calling what Rosie says "antics" and saying you don't support "antics" I think its too broad to possibly be true. Many performers use "antics' and if they strike us as true or funny we tend to be very forgiving. I cannot defend Rosie's remarks, I do not watch TV so I only know what people write which is their perception and opinion.

Rosie is an activist. You can google and find numerous references to her as a liberal activist (who happens to also be gay.)

That you don't care if she is vulnerable, bothers me a bit because I thought you were the poster who understood the point I raised as a possibility in my previous post.

I see that you have a gay sister. She will also tell you that gay people have many different opinions about others as straight people do. newtv is telling you how she feels. I tell you how I feel. Nova tells you how he feels. We agree with each other some of the time we differ other times. This is what all of us human beings do.

Your last statement that she creates feuds and tries to demean people in order to draw attention to herself is more interpretation. You may be right, I have no way of knowing because I do not know Rosie other than what I have seen on TV in the past. What I saw was a huge hearted funny person who cares about her children, her guests and many people in the world.

So we all have our different perceptions and interpretations. We see the world through the eyes of our experiences and prejudices.
wind,
I agree that those things I posted about Rosie are only my perception and my interpretation of her....I don't claim to know her personally or have an "in" on anything she does, and my perceptions are based only what I see on TV or read in the news.

I was the poster that understood what you meant about her being vulnerable, and when I read what you wrote, it really DID make sense to me and struck a chord with me, because it made sense. Then, in talking to my sister, she raised many points that also struck a chord with me. So, I guess if anything, I am certainly not concrete in my opinions about her. Honestly, there have been many many times I have supported her and echoed Rosies comments 100%---the ONLY time my opinion started to sway of her was when she mimicked an epileptic seizure on stage and made fun of epilepsy. Again, that is another perception of mine, as I am sure Rosie wouldn't give the same commentary on her antics.

As far as my use of the word "antics"---I simply used that because it's the only word I thought of. Nothing more. I guess I could've used "displays" or whatever, but antics is what came out.

I addressed newtv's post and in particular, the statement that most women want other women to remain quiet and in a corner. I commented on that because I really do not feel that to be true. Maybe in days gone by that statement would be true. I admire strong, opinionated women who aren't afraid of rocking the boat and who stand up for what they believe in regardless of the consequences, so much more than a meek, mousy woman who doesn't speak her mind.

The only problem I have with Rosie is that she does appear to be mean spirited, and I am automatically more apt to discredit those that have those type of qualities. Again, my perception only, and I agree that I could be waaay off base in my opinion of her. I've been wrong many times before and I'm sure I'll be wrong many times to come in the future.

czechmate7 said:
I agree she didn't "out" Clay Aiken; but being an activist who happens to be gay and defending him does someone insinuate that he is gay? I mean, if someone like Mario Lopez were on w/Kelly and she did the same thing would Rosie have come to his defense like she did with Clay?

Not at all. I protest homophobic remarks whether or not the target is gay. As O'Donnell well knows, Aiken is quite famously the target of homophobic attacks, regardless of his actual sexuality.

Nova said:
Not at all. I protest homophobic remarks whether or not the target is gay. As O'Donnell well knows, Aiken is quite famously the target of homophobic attacks, regardless of his actual sexuality.
So, are you saying she would have defended Mario Lopez in the same situation?

That's a well written and fair post. It explains alot. What I thought when I read newtv's post that she was referring to was the posts that were calling Rosie a etc.

I don't have the ultimate truth on Rosie either. I did not hear her make fun of people who are epileptic. I can't imagine she would be intentionally hurtful to disabled people. Since I did not see the routine or "antics" myself I can't comment except to say it does not sound like her to me. This is based on my previous viewing of her show in the past.

I don't think anyone gets a free pass on being rude. At the same time to say we know what someone's intention is--how can we?

I've had a number of posters tell me my posts are rude and I'm putting wind on ignore lol. It happens when we start really getting into controversial views.

I enjoy your posts alot. It would be really boring around here if we all agreed.

czechmate7 said:
So, are you saying she would have defended Mario Lopez in the same situation?

She might have, but Mario Lopez hasn't been called "Homopez" in Kathy Griffin's routines. O'Donnell might not have made the same connection with Lopez.

But this has nothing to do with whether Aiken is actually gay or Lopez is actually straight. It has to do with the way they have been perceived in the media (including the internet).

Nova said:
And if you are correct, that O'Donnell knew all about Aitken being the object of homophobic remarks on the internet and in other media she would have thought he needed defending.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1000MoonsAgo
Back