Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no...I have a good friend there. She is staying, won't leave her homeland.
Prayers that she will be okay, whitelilac.
t0805.gif

2m ago00:39

Senior US officials traveled to Venezuela on Saturday to meet with President Nicolas Maduro’s government, seeking to determine whether Caracas is prepared to back away from its close ties to Russia amid its invasion of Ukraine, according to a person familiar with the matter, Reuters reports.

The trip is the highest-level US visit to Venezuela in years after the two countries broke diplomatic relations amid a campaign of US sanctions and diplomatic pressure aimed at ousting Maduro, a longtime ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Russia-Ukraine war: Biden and Zelenskiy discuss more support for Ukraine as Visa, Mastercard pull out of Russia - live

Russia-Ukraine war latest: UK sets out international ‘plan of action’ for crisis; Ukraine calls for more Nato help in meeting with US – live | World news | The Guardian
3h ago 03:01

Thousands of Ukrainian refugees continue to flee their homeland seeking safety in neighbouring countries.

More than 1.3 million Ukrainians have crossed borders since the Russian invasion started on the 24 February in what the United Nations is now calling Europe’s fastest-moving refugee crisis since the end of the second world war.

[...]

“This is the fastest-moving refugee crisis we have seen in Europe since the end of the second world war,” UNHCR head Filippo Grandi said.

[...]

2h ago 03:14

The relief effort to distribute humanitarian aid to Ukraine has stepped up in recent days.

Volunteers across the country have worked tirelessly to gather basic necessities to give to refugees and prepare food supplies for the army to be sent to the frontline.

7952.jpg
7952.jpg
7681.jpg
7952.jpg

1h ago 04:20

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy recently spoke to SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, inviting him to visit after the war.

Zelenskiy shared a video of the call on social media shortly after Ukraine announced it would receive more Starlink satellite internet terminals for destroyed cities from the company next week.

“So if you have time - after the war - you’re very welcome. I invite you,” Zelenskiy says. “Sounds good. I look forward to visiting,” Musk replies.

Someone upthread linked this - just read it.

"Of the plant’s six reactors,
  • Unit 1 remained in planned maintenance,
  • the operating power of Unit 2 had been increased to 760 Megawatt electric (MWe) by 07:45 CET,
  • Unit 3 had been disconnected from the grid and was in low power mode,
  • Unit 4 was operating at 960MWe, which is near full capacity, and
  • Units 5 and 6 were shutdown.
The site’s spent fuel pools were operating normally. A visual inspection of the dry storage facility did not detect any damage, according to the information provided to the IAEA."
Update 12 – IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine | IAEA

Putin has placed adrenaline risk above common sense.

Thank you for bringing that forward. That was the exact snippet I was going to include with url, but decided against it so everyone would read the full release.

(On a light note and very poor attempt at levity and humor during these horrific times, cousin @otto, pass the vodka hand-sanitizer, even though I don’t drink vodka, oh wait, hopefully you’ve switched to rum by now?!! Might I recommend the Jamaican kind with some wacky tobacky!! Remember when covid first down and I would leave my potatoes by the door to “cough for a while in the hallway”? (@JaneEyre). I’m thinking if I leave those potatoes in the hallway a little longer, I could make my own vodka! ;) )

Last edited:
Live updates: Ukrainian paramedic remembered for bravery | AP News

KYIV, Ukraine — A Ukrainian paramedic who was shot while on her way to evacuate injured people from the outskirts of Kyiv was buried in the country’s capital on Saturday.

Valentyna Pushych was known locally as “Romashka,” which means “Daisy.” A friend described her as a “daredevil,” who was never afraid to “get under bullets.’

She was always “running to the most dangerous places” to rescue to the injured, Nataliia Voronkova said.

Pushych used to be a well-paid worker at a transport and logistic company. But in 2016, she joined the army as a paramedic in response to the separatist conflict in eastern Ukraine.

[...]

KYIV, Ukraine — Crowds of men have been lining up in Kyiv to join the Ukrainian army.

An order from Ukraine’s government prohibited men between the ages of 18 and 60 from leaving the country to keep them available for military conscription.

But some like Volodymyr Onysko volunteered to fight.

“We know why we are here. We know why we defend our country. And our guys that are actually standing there and fighting Russian military forces,” he told Britain’s Sky News. “We know what we are doing and that’s why we will win.”

[...]

All these sanctions are plunging Russians back to Communism, little bit by bit, all imposed by the West. It's not hard to believe that Russians feel like they are under attack from the West. At the same time, this is exactly what Putin wants - that his people are plunged into media censorship and hierarchical society of obedience and dictatorship due to foreigner acts of aggression. Meanwhile, his annexation of Ukraine is portrayed as saving the people of Ukraine from political tyranny.

I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing when I read there were shopping sprees at Ikea when shop closure was announced. Shopping sprees while waging war? They need more flower pots?

The Russian people are slowly losing their rights and freedoms as the Iron Curtain falls. The Ukrainians are the first to feel it.

Interesting....maybe they wanted to eat Swedish meatballs for the last time?

I’ve been keeping a running list of all the brand/business and entertainment restrictions. Please let me know if you see something I missed.

Adidas - suspending its partnership with the Russian Football Union

Adobe - suspending services in Russia

AERCAP - aircraft leasing firm is suspending leases with Russian airlines

Apple - suspending all product sales, limiting access to digital services like Apple Pay, restricting the availability of Russian state media apps outside of Russia, deactivated the traffic feature in Apple Maps for all areas inside Ukraine

ASOS - suspending sales in Russia

Australian Swim Team World Championship - canceled meet in Russia

BGR Government Affairs - lobbying firm no longer represents investors of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

BMW - halting local production and exports to the Russian market

Boeing - no longer providing technical support, maintenance, or parts to Russian airlines and cut ties with Russian partners

BP - divesting roughly 20% stake in Russian oil company Rosneft and announced the immediate resignation of two BP-backed Rosneft board members

Burberry - pausing all shipments to Russia

Canada Goose - suspending all wholesale and e-commerce sales in Russia

Cannes Film Festival - excluding Russia from upcoming events

Champions League - soccer final moved from St Petersburg to Paris

Daimler Truck - suspending business activities (including the supply of civilian truck components) to Russian manufacturer Kamaz

DELL - suspending relationship with Aeroflot airlines

Delta - suspending code-share agreement with Aeroflot

DirectTV - “accelerating this year’s contract expiration timeline” of RT America and will no longer offer their programming (effective immediately)

Disney - pausing theatrical film releases

EA - suspending sales of its video games and other content (including virtual currency bundles) and removing Russian teams from EA Sports

EQUINOR - energy firm divesting its joint ventures in Russia

European Film Awards - excluded Russia from the upcoming event

Eurovision Song Contest - Russia is banned from competing

ExxonMobil - ending its involvement in a large oil and natural gas project

Farfetch - online retailer suspends deliveries in Russia

FedEx - suspending Russian shipment deliveries

FIFA - Russian teams banned from participating in athletic competitions

Ford Motor Company - suspending operations in Russia

Formula 1 - terminated contract with the Russian Grand Prix and country will no longer host a Grand Prix for the foreseeable future

General Motors (GM) - suspending auto exports to Russia

Google - banned state-owned media outlet RT and other Russian channels from collecting ad revenues

H&M Group - halting sales in Russia

Haas F1 Team - terminated contract with Russian driver Nikita Mazepin and title sponsor Uralkali

Hermès - temporarily closing stores and pausing commercial activity in Russia

Honda - suspending auto and motorcycle exports to Russia

IKEA - pausing imports to/from Russia and Belarus, halting retail operations, pausing operations of its unit that produces wooden furniture, and suspending all business transactions in Russia and Belarus

Inditex - closing its 502 stores (including Bershka, Stradivarius and Oysho)

Intel and AMD - suspending chip shipments

International Cycling Union - Russian and Belarusian teams are banned from international competitions

International Paralympics Committee - Russian and Belarusian athletes are banned from competing

International Skating Union - Russian and Belarusian skaters banned from international events (including the world championship in France later this month)

Jaguar - suspending operations in Russia

Land Rover - suspending operations in Russia

Lucerne Music Festival - Switzerland festival cancels two symphony concerts featuring Russian maestro and longtime backer of Putin, Valery Gergiev

LVMH (brands and subsidiaries include Louis Vuitton, Moët, Hennessy, Dior, Fendi, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney, Loewe, Kenzo, Fenty, TAG, Bulgari, Make Up For Ever, Belvedere, Benefit Cosmetics, Tiffany & Co, Sephora) — closing its 124 stores in Russia

Kinolife - Ukrainian film distributor will no longer distribute Hollywood films to Russia

MAERSK - suspending all container shipments to/from Russia except those containing food, medical, and humanitarian supplies

Mango - Spanish megaretailer pausing online sales and closing 55 stores in Russia

Mastercard - blocked multiple financial institutions from its payment network and suspending all operations in Russia

Mercury Public Affairs - PR firm no longer represents Sovcombank

META - restricting access to Russian state-owned media accounts in Ukraine and blocked state-owned media from earning ad revenue

Microsoft - removing state-owned media mobile apps and banned state-owned media ads

National Hockey League (NHL) - suspending Russian business deals

Net-a-porter - suspending deliveries in Russia

Netflix - will not distribute news, sports, and entertainment channels from Russian state media and pausing production on four Russian projects and acquisitions

Nike - suspending operations in Russia

Nordic Ski Federation - Russian skiers are banned from competing in Norway

Ocean Network Express - container shipment company suspending bookings to/from Russia

Oracle - suspending operations in Russia

Payoneer - suspending services in Russia

PayPal - suspending services in Russia

Puma - halting deliveries to Russia

Reddit - restricting access to the r/Russia subreddit

Richemont (brands and subsidiaries include Dunhill, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Montblanc, Cartier, Chloé, Piaget, and Van Cleef & Arpels) - suspending commercial activity in Russia

Roberti Global - PR firm no longer represents investors of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

Roku - removing state-owned Russian channels

SABRE - airline ticket sale company is suspending all activities in Russia

Samsung - suspending shipments in Russia

Schalke - Germany soccer club severed sponsorship with Gazprom

Shell - divesting several ventures with Gazprom totaling roughly $3bn in revenue

Sidley Austin - PR group no longer represents VTB bank

SNAP - suspending Snapchat ads in Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine and halting ad sales in Russia and Belarus

Sony Pictures - pausing theatrical film releases

Spotify - closing its Russian office and removing state-owned media ads

Swatch - halting exports to Russia

Tennis - banned Russian and Belarusian athletes from team events

The Metropolitan Opera - no longer “works with artists or institutions that support Putin or are supported by him”

TJX Companies (TJMaxx, Marshall’s, Home Goods) - divesting its minority investment in Russian off-price retailer Familia and halting purchases in Russia and Belarus

UEFA (European Football Associations) - banned Russian teams from participating in athletic competitions

UPS - suspending Russian shipments

Venable - lobbying group no longer represents Sberbank

Visa - blocked multiple financial institutions from its payment network and suspending all operations in Russia

Volkswagen (VW) - suspending car deliveries to Russian dealerships and shutting down operations in Russia

Volvo - suspending auto exports to Russia

Warner Brothers (WB) - pausing theatrical film releases

World Governing Body for Track & Field - Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials banned from events (including the World Athletics Championships in Oregon this summer and the World Athletics Indoor Championships in Belgrade)

Yoox - suspending deliveries in Russia

YouTube - temporarily demonetizing Russian state-owned RT and other channels and limiting access to these channels

Zara - suspending business in Russia

Great work!

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Ukraine’s Gas Transmission System Operator has had to shut down 16 gas distribution stations in six of Ukraine's oblasts - Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kyiv, Donetsk and Luhansk, as a result of Russia’s full-scale invasion, the operator announced on Telegram on Mar. 5.

As a result of attacks, the operator is unable to restore gas supply in some areas.

CNN: China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the “evolution” of the situation in Ukraine is “something China does not want to see” in a phone call with US Secretary of State Blinken on March 5, according to a statement from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs published by CNN.

China's foreign minister also called on the U.S., NATO, and the EU to “pay attention to the negative impact of NATO’s continuous eastward expansion on Russia’s security."

⚡️Ukraine’s Gas Transmission System Operator has had to shut down 16 gas distribution stations in six of Ukraine's oblasts - Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, Zaporizhzhia, Kyiv, Donetsk and Luhansk, as a result of Russia’s full-scale invasion, the operator announced on Telegram on Mar. 5.

As a result of attacks, the operator is unable to restore gas supply in some areas.

CNN: China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the “evolution” of the situation in Ukraine is “something China does not want to see” in a phone call with US Secretary of State Blinken on March 5, according to a statement from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs published by CNN.

China's foreign minister also called on the U.S., NATO, and the EU to “pay attention to the negative impact of NATO’s continuous eastward expansion on Russia’s security."

The message from China seems to be that the US, EU and now NATO as well are infringing on the rights of Russia by supporting the liberation of Ukraine from Russia; that the US, EU and NATO should back down and stop invading East into Russia.

I spoke to a colleague whose friends are trying to evacuate from Odessa. Odessa is really close to Moldova, but to get gas is a problem. Several neighbors who were staying lended the family some. Then, there is a 24-km line to the border. The sanitary conditions are horrible, of course. Some people leave cars and walk 24 km. Thinking of them, how it feels to even be there.

The electricity is down in Ukraine at night, because of Russian bombing raids.

this in Russia… Fearing martial law or conscription, some Russians try to flee abroad

The walls are (probably) eventually going to close in, no matter the firepower and will of the Ukrainian people.

This is a British and US contingency plan for when and if that does happen (if it's even true).

I do think his death would be a horrible blow, but not fatal. The fight would continue, and he'd probably be seen as a martyr.

The counterpoint is that his survival would ensure the government could continue when this is all over.

And of course, the whole world is rooting for this guy, and he's largely responsible for how fast and overwhelming the response has been.

I think the same way. Also, I believe he is prepared to die - like Klytscko brothers, and many other government figures - but at least, Zelinskiy’s wife, and other courageous women need to be evacuated. Not just as women - Olena Zelinskiy is a strong and educated person herself, she was writing texts for Zelinskiy shows they know each other from school, and she is a huge support; if it comes to it, she will be a powerful voice in exile.

These are the indicative estimates of Russia's losses as of March 6, according to the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
View attachment 335702

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1500382321953882113?s=21

This is an unprecedented loss. Even if the human losses are twice as low, the official numbers of soldiers losses in Afghanistan over 10 years of USSR - Afghan war were, according to the latest data, 15000. Now, in the 90-es I read another number, 50000, so averaging, would be around 33000. But over 10 years. Here, even the losses are less than what Ukrainians cite (probably), we are talking about thousands in 10 days.

Given that Ukrainian losses are also huge, and on both sides, young, able-bodied men, is it, darn, worthy of it? It is turning into the worst version of Yugoslavia.

fed&edna said:
Has Blinken returned to the US... was he scheduled to return today/night?

He is supposed to be in Riga, Latvia today - March 6th.

his tweet:

Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
United States government official
It was a pleasure to meet with Latvian Foreign Minister @EdgarsRinkevics
in Riga today. The United States and Latvia are strong strategic allies and partners, with a relationship built on mutual commitments to democracy, freedom, rule of law, security, and prosperity.

link: https://twitter.com/secblinken/status/1465640861291749380

now back to reading...

The message from China seems to be that the US, EU and now NATO as well are infringing on the rights of Russia by supporting the liberation of Ukraine from Russia; that the US, EU and NATO should back down and stop invading East into Russia.

It just confirms what has been published.

China Asked Russia to Delay Ukraine War Until After Olympics, U.S. Officials Say

So just to understand, on February 4th and February 10th, Russian minister of Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov publicly denied any plans for Russia to invade Ukraine. That was the time when ordinary Russians did not know about it, and their kids were drafted into the army. (They had no time to make any provisions in case of the war, as they usually do when it is foreseen. Nor did Ukraine). But at the same time, Xi was fully of Putin’s plans, and merely asked to wait till the Olympics were over.

This is how it seems to me, I have no words…

Minister in new 'wartime' plan to retain food supplies

Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConalogue is drawing up what is being described as a "wartime" plan to prevent disruption to food supplies as a result of the conflict in Ukraine.

Russia and Ukraine are significant suppliers of both grains and fertilisers for the global agriculture sector.

The Agriculture Minister has now assembled an emergency team within his department to come up with financial supports to encourage farmers to grow native grains.

Ireland is heavily reliant on imported grains for both human and animal food.

The plan will have to be finalised quickly as spring crops must be planted in the next six weeks.

A similar scheme was introduced during World War II when all farmers here were asked to plant crops.

Measures to ensure farmers grow, and save, enough grass to feed livestock this year and over next winter are also being examined.

(...)

Food crisis looms as Ukrainian wheat shipments grind to halt

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Prices soar as Black Sea ports at virtual standstill amid Russian assault

At this time of year, Kees Huizunga is normally busy planting wheat, barley and corn on his farm in central Ukraine. But, having lost workers to the frontline, the Dutch national left his grain silos to sound the alarm about the impact of the Russian invasion on global wheat supply.

Russia and Ukraine supply almost a third of the world’s wheat exports and since the Russian assault on its neighbour, ports on the Black Sea have come to a virtual standstill. As a result, wheat prices have soared to record highs, overtaking levels seen during the food crisis of 2007-08.

“If farmers in Ukraine don’t start planting any time soon there will be huge crisis to food security. If Ukraine’s food production falls in the coming season the wheat price could double or triple,” said the Dutch national, who has been farming for two decades in Cherkasy, 200km south of Kyiv. He is part of a farming union, whose 1,100 members cover just under 10 per cent of the country’s farmland.

(...)

The surge in prices will fuel soaring food inflation — already at a seven-year high of 7.8 per cent in January — and the biggest impact will be on the food security of poorer grain importers, warned analysts and food aid organisations.

Ukraine accounts for 90 per cent of Lebanon’s wheat imports and is a leading supplier for countries including Somalia, Syria and Libya. Lebanon is “really struggling with an already high import bill and this is only going to make things worse,” said James Swanston, emerging market economist at Capital Economics.

(...)

The WFP, which procures grains and food to distribute to poorer countries, bought just under 1.4m tonnes of wheat last year of which 70 per cent came from Ukraine and Russia.

Prior to the invasion it was already facing a 30 per cent increase in the cost of wheat, because of poor harvests in Canada, the US and Argentina. The latest surge in grain prices would further curtail its ability to provide aid, it said.

“This is an unnecessary shock of mega proportions,” said Arif Husain, chief economist at the UN World Food Programme.

High prices could trigger unrest, analysts said.

(...)

Russia accounts for two-thirds of Egypt’s wheat exports. Egyptian authorities say their wheat inventories will last until mid June and the Egyptian local harvest should start coming in by mid April. Any rise in subsidised bread prices and further increase in food inflation in Egypt “increases the threat of social unrest,” said Swanston.

(...)

Wheat inventories are tight everywhere and as Chinese and South Korean buyers of Ukrainian corn, used to feed livestock, sought sellers elsewhere, EU agricultural ministers on Wednesday discussed allowing farmers to boost production using the 10 per cent of land they usually leave fallow in response to the war in Ukraine.

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member