Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1502007764092133378?t=ssurlrS43ksCqVvqY0bYMA&s=19

1,300 people died in the besieged Mariupol, local authorities said, confirming the mass grave had to be built, the morgues were overcrowded and normal funerals impossible. With 200,000 ppl locked in Mariupol, Russians try to use the city for blackmail - Російські війська розбомбили лікарню та пологовий в Маріуполі. Що відомо про жертв - BBC News Україна https://t.co/3Hg8umyJug

Hasn't this been one of the cities that evacuation has been basically impossible? Maybe this is the reason. JMO
Yes, it is a small eastern port city in a highly strategic location for Russia. If they can seize it, they will be able to unite their forces geographically. They are showing no mercy, refusing to allow an evacuation route, IMO, because that will allow supplies and reinforcements in.

"The city was without electricity, heat, drinking water and gas, he added, saying the Russian Federation was effectively holding 350,000 people hostage."

No longer scared – just tired: conditions in Mariupol now ‘medieval’

@idreesali114

NEW YORK/LONDON, March 10 (Reuters) - Goldman Sachs Group and JPMorgan Chase & Co on Thursday announced they were unwinding their Russian businesses, becoming the first major U.S. banks to exit following Russia's invasion of Ukraine and putting pressure on rivals to follow.

Russians swarm Victoria's Secret as Putin's war shuts down stores

Viktor, 36, who was “buying a surprise for my lover’s birthday,” said, “This war is genocide, and it is a disgrace for us Russians.”

Aljazzera article:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022...-will-emerge-stronger-sanctions-will-rebound\

Putin says Russia will emerge stronger, sanctions will rebound
President Vladimir Putin says sanctions on Russia would lead to higher food and energy prices in the West.

My comments: These sound like brave words from a despot who is willing to bring his country into deep isolation and poverty in trying to bring down the western world. He and his oligarchs have plundered his own country's wealth ( oligarchs estimated to have taken a breathtaking sum of up to 85% of the entire countries GDP) and there are just no reserves left for the banks and financial structure of Russia to fall back on.

The world Allies are just seeing how relatively easy it is to shut Russia down and leave them poor and isolated. Yes, we are going to hurt, but we now know what can be done, and that lesson will be learned world-wide.

Yes, it is a small eastern port city in a highly strategic location for Russia. If they can seize it, they will be able to unite their forces geographically. They are showing no mercy, refusing to allow an evacuation route, IMO, because that will allow supplies and reinforcements in.

"The city was without electricity, heat, drinking water and gas, he added, saying the Russian Federation was effectively holding 350,000 people hostage."

No longer scared – just tired: conditions in Mariupol now ‘medieval’

WOW
Mariupol is only about 37 miles (~60 km) from the Russian border right there on the Black Sea. It borders the Sea of Azov, which is totally bordered by Russian land (if you also consider the Crimean Penninsula to be Russian)

I honestly don't know how Ukraine can hold it. Russia can very easily attack it from the air, from land, and by sea and as Russia is controlling the northwestern Black Sea it's really impossible for the Allies to provide any air or maritime support without overflying Ukraine or the "Russian" international waters as drawn from the Crimean penninsula.

The more I look a the geography, the more I'm convinced Putin has been plotting this war since he took Crimea in 2014
Perhaps its's time to consider surrendering it to save all those lives

Last edited:
The world Allies are just seeing how relatively easy it is to shut Russia down and leave them poor and isolated. Yes, we are going to hurt, but we now know what can be done, and that lesson will be learned world-wide.

Good point. These sanctions have set them back decades. Might be a deterrent to anyone else planning to invade the west.

@idreesali114

NEW YORK/LONDON, March 10 (Reuters) - Goldman Sachs Group and JPMorgan Chase & Co on Thursday announced they were unwinding their Russian businesses, becoming the first major U.S. banks to exit following Russia's invasion of Ukraine and putting pressure on rivals to follow.

Russians swarm Victoria's Secret as Putin's war shuts down stores

Viktor, 36, who was “buying a surprise for my lover’s birthday,” said, “This war is genocide, and it is a disgrace for us Russians.”

Well, if nothing else, at least their panties will be lovely. JMO

'It is Russia against humanity': Crisis grows in besieged Ukrainian city

People with loved ones trapped inside the besieged city of Mariupol were trying desperately on Thursday to connect to phones inside the city, which has been virtually cut off from the outside world by an escalating and indiscriminate bombing campaign by Russian forces.

Dmytro Gurin, a Ukrainian MP who grew up in Mariupol and whose parents are trapped there, said he last managed to connect to their neighbours four days ago.

"We spoke for 30 seconds after they went to a spot with signal - there are a couple of these spots people know about," Mr Gurin said.

"They said my parents were alive, living in the basement under their apartment building.

"Please understand me that this is not a shelter with light, water and a toilet, it is a basement with nothing."

Mr Gurin said his parents were using snow to drink water and trying to cook food on an open fire outside.

"Can you try to imagine this? Your parents, 67 and 69, are drinking snow and trying to cook on a fire outside in winter and there is continuous shelling," he said.

"This is not war any more. This is not army against army. It is carpet bombing. It is Russia against humanity."

(...)

Municipal authorities have finally been able to begin collecting and burying bodies which had been in the streets, the deputy mayor Serhiy Orlov told the BBC on Thursday. City officials estimated 1,300 civilians had been killed so far, Mr Orlov said.

"There is no possibility of private graves, because of the high numbers and because of the continuous shelling. They are being put into mass graves," he said.

(...)

People with loved ones trapped inside the besieged city of Mariupol were trying desperately on Thursday to connect to phones inside the city, which has been virtually cut off from the outside world by an escalating and indiscriminate bombing campaign by Russian forces.

Dmytro Gurin, a Ukrainian MP who grew up in Mariupol and whose parents are trapped there, said he last managed to connect to their neighbours four days ago.

"We spoke for 30 seconds after they went to a spot with signal - there are a couple of these spots people know about," Mr Gurin said.

"They said my parents were alive, living in the basement under their apartment building.

"Please understand me that this is not a shelter with light, water and a toilet, it is a basement with nothing."

Mr Gurin said his parents were using snow to drink water and trying to cook food on an open fire outside.

"Can you try to imagine this? Your parents, 67 and 69, are drinking snow and trying to cook on a fire outside in winter and there is continuous shelling," he said.

"This is not war any more. This is not army against army. It is carpet bombing. It is Russia against humanity."

(...)

Municipal authorities have finally been able to begin collecting and burying bodies which had been in the streets, the deputy mayor Serhiy Orlov told the BBC on Thursday. City officials estimated 1,300 civilians had been killed so far, Mr Orlov said.

"There is no possibility of private graves, because of the high numbers and because of the continuous shelling. They are being put into mass graves," he said.

(...)
Heart wrenching </3

"Can you try to imagine this? Your parents, 67 and 69, are drinking snow and trying to cook on a fire outside in winter and there is continuous shelling"

No, I can’t imagine. Wow :(

WOW
Mariupol is only about 37 miles (~60 km) from the Russian border right there on the Black Sea. It borders the Sea of Azov, which is totally bordered by Russian land (if you also consider the Crimean Penninsula to be Russian)

I honestly don't know how Ukraine can hold it. Russia can very easily attack it from the air, from land, and by sea and as Russia is controlling the northwestern Black Sea it's really impossible for the Allies to provide any air or maritime support without overflying Ukraine or the "Russian" international waters as drawn from the Crimean penninsula.

The more I look a the geography, the more I'm convinced Putin has been plotting this war since he took Crimea in 2014
Perhaps its's time to consider surrendering it to save all those lives
According to Wikipedia, it's also an important industrial base, and was taken by pro-Russian rebels in 2014, and then won back by Ukraine, so it's been a hot bed before. But not, I think, so violently invaded.

So sad, it's usually the poorest and the elderly people who stay behind, even when they must have feared what was coming.

JMO

(...)

(...)

I was listening yesterday to the Ukraine Embassy chief here in Australia say very similar about his parents.

The head of Ukraine’s embassy in Australia says he cannot remain “diplomatically polite” when his parents spend their nights in a bomb shelter in Kyiv, and has called for the Russian ambassador to be expelled.

Volodymyr Shalkivskyi issued the plea to the Australian government as he spoke about how his parents, aged in their 70s, had rebuffed suggestions to flee Ukraine’s capital and were now asking for molotov cocktail recipes.

“They’re making sandwiches [for] our military and they spend the nights in bomb shelters"

“As my father told me, two nights in a bomb shelter is enough to completely change any pro-Russian sentiment that you have in your heart.”

Shalkivskyi also relayed a message he had received from his mother, 73, after she looked out from the balcony on the seventh floor of her apartment building in northern Kyiv.

“‘I think it’s a good position. Can you send me a recipe of molotov cocktail?’”

‘My parents are in bomb shelters’: Ukrainian embassy head urges Australia to expel Russian ambassador

Just when you think - you heard it all!:eek:

“MOSCOW (AP) — Russia has drawn up a list of Western companies that could be nationalized. That list of 59 names includes oil and gas group Shell, car manufacturers Volkswagen and Toyota and furniture store Ikea, Russian news agency Izvestia report.

Bill
Earlier, the government in Moscow passed a bill to put under receivership companies that were more than 25 percent owned by foreigners from so-called "unfriendly nations". Companies can avoid that receivership by resuming operations or selling their shares within five days of announcement, United Russia, President Vladimir Putin's party, previously said. Then the activities and employees must be retained.”

Rusland zet Shell op lijst met bedrijven om eigendommen van te kunnen nationaliseren

ETA - China?
Chinese companies are only too happy to take over the shares that Shell leaves behind in Russia

March 1, 2022, 20:20
The story goes that Shell is often slow in making important decisions. You can't say that about the decision to part with almost all of his Russian possessions. That came less than a week after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Although you can also say that the Shell top took the plunge a little later than the colleagues from BP and the Norwegian Equinor.

“Yes, the decision came quickly. But these are exceptional times," responds oil and gas expert Jilles van den Beukel. “Look at BP, look at Equinor, look at how Germany reacts to the raid. Europe is taking the lead with boycott measures. That has sometimes been different.”

Shell will divest its 27.5 percent stake in 'Sakhalin-2', a colossal oil, gas and liquefied gas project in eastern Russia, CEO Ben van Beurden said on Tuesday. The company is also saying goodbye to its stake in Nord Stream 2, the controversial pipeline from Russia to Germany that Shell partly financed. And Shell says goodbye to two other projects that it is carrying out or developing with the Russian gas giant Gazprom. Shell does keep the approximately 400 gas stations it has in Russia.”

Chinese bedrijven nemen maar al te graag de aandelen over die Shell in Rusland achterlaat

Last edited:
Good point. These sanctions have set them back decades. Might be a deterrent to anyone else planning to invade the west.

It might, or it might make Putin more desperate is my worry. I think he has said on more than one occasion words to the effect of "what is the point of a world without Russia?".

I'm sure the Russians still love their children too though

ETA: just seen new version from Sting

Last edited:
many disturbing details in this article

On Thursday, firefighters tried to free a boy trapped in the rubble. One grasped the boy's hand. His eyes blinked, but he was otherwise still. It was not clear if he survived. Nearby, at a mangled truck, a woman wrapped in a blue blanket shuddered at the sound of an explosion.

Grocery stores and pharmacies were emptied days ago by people breaking in to get supplies, according to a local official with the Red Cross, Sacha Volkov. A black market is operating for vegetables, meat is unavailable, and people are stealing gasoline from cars, Volkov said.

Places protected from bombings are hard to find, with basements reserved for women and children, he said. Residents, Volkov, are turning on one another: “People started to attack each other for food.”

Russians keep pressure on Mariupol after hospital attack

:eek:

Meta Platforms will allow Facebook and Instagram users in some countries to call for violence against Russians and Russian soldiers in the context of the Ukraine invasion, according to internal emails seen by the Reuters news agency, in a temporary change to its hate speech policy.

The social media company is also temporarily allowing posts that call for death to Russian President Vladimir Putin or Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko in countries including Russia, Ukraine and Poland, according to a series of internal emails to its content moderators.

Ukraine tells IAEA it lost contact with Chernobyl power plant

Just when you think - you heard it all!:eek:

“MOSCOW (AP) — Russia has drawn up a list of Western companies that could be nationalized. That list of 59 names includes oil and gas group Shell, car manufacturers Volkswagen and Toyota and furniture store Ikea, Russian news agency Izvestia report.

Bill
Earlier, the government in Moscow passed a bill to put under receivership companies that were more than 25 percent owned by foreigners from so-called "unfriendly nations". Companies can avoid that receivership by resuming operations or selling their shares within five days of announcement, United Russia, President Vladimir Putin's party, previously said. Then the activities and employees must be retained.”

Rusland zet Shell op lijst met bedrijven om eigendommen van te kunnen nationaliseren

ETA - China?
Chinese companies are only too happy to take over the shares that Shell leaves behind in Russia

March 1, 2022, 20:20
The story goes that Shell is often slow in making important decisions. You can't say that about the decision to part with almost all of his Russian possessions. That came less than a week after the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Although you can also say that the Shell top took the plunge a little later than the colleagues from BP and the Norwegian Equinor.

“Yes, the decision came quickly. But these are exceptional times," responds oil and gas expert Jilles van den Beukel. “Look at BP, look at Equinor, look at how Germany reacts to the raid. Europe is taking the lead with boycott measures. That has sometimes been different.”

Shell will divest its 27.5 percent stake in 'Sakhalin-2', a colossal oil, gas and liquefied gas project in eastern Russia, CEO Ben van Beurden said on Tuesday. The company is also saying goodbye to its stake in Nord Stream 2, the controversial pipeline from Russia to Germany that Shell partly financed. And Shell says goodbye to two other projects that it is carrying out or developing with the Russian gas giant Gazprom. Shell does keep the approximately 400 gas stations it has in Russia.”

Chinese bedrijven nemen maar al te graag de aandelen over die Shell in Rusland achterlaat

There is a last paragraph,in this article - hope you be able to translate about Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin who announced a temporary ban on the sale of their Russian assets for foreign investors...
Wonder what other MSM reports published about it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298