Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mirror on Twitter
An adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Saturday Russia's attack on Kyiv was not advancing and that around 3,500 Russian soldiers had been killed or injured so far in Moscow's assault on Ukraine.

Russia Ukraine war LIVE: Putin's invasion could fail in days if Kyiv continue to resist - World News - Mirror Online
Russian troops have reportedly been given gas masks amid fears they plan to blow up chemical containers.

Russian casualties are likely to be "heavy and greater than anticipated" as Ukrainian Armed Forces put up a staunch resistance across the country.

A combination of Ukraine trained troops and civilians baring arms have managed to stave off attacks in many areas with the bulk of Vladimir Putin's forces around 19 miles from the centre of Kyiv.

It comes amid fears Russia is preparing thermobaric weapons that launch a barrage of fuel-air explosive warheads that can 'melt' an opposing army.

The night of fighting with heavy shell attacks has taken a great toll on both sides, with estimates suggesting between 1,000 and 3,500 Russian soldiers and up to 198 Ukrainians, including three children, have been killed.

[...]

Keep fighting Ukraine !

CBS News on Twitter (Video)
REUNITED AT THE BORDER: A Ukrainian mother is seen crying as she embraces her son and the stranger who brought her kids across the border to Hungary on Saturday, after her husband was forced to hand over their children and stay in Ukraine to fight.

RTÉ on Twitter (Video)
Clutching a mobile phone number of a woman she had never met, Nataliya Ableyeva crossed the border from Ukraine into Hungary today, entrusted with a precious cargo - a stranger's children. For updates see @rtenews

Thank you to all my fellow WS members who have taken their time and been so kind to answer my question regards making the interpretation of Chinas 5 bullet point press release, easier to understand their position. I truly appreciate you all thank you
Angleterre

Maksim Chmerkovskiy of 'Dancing With the Stars' shares another update from Ukraine: The 'situation is pretty dire' - ABC7 San Francisco (abc7news.com)
[...]

"I'm out here, again, I'm safe. We haven't been told to move, and I'm just following instructions. That's all I can say," Chmerkovskiy began the first clip. "But the reality is that I'm also talking to my friends that are here, the Ukrainians, and the situation is pretty dire."

"People are being mobilized" in Ukraine, Chmerkovskiy added. "The whole country is being called to go to war. Men, women, boys ... are going forward and getting guns and getting deployed to defend the country."

Chmerkovskiy also shared a video on Instagram Thursday, following Russia's invasion, in which he said he wanted to return to the US and realized that he has a way to because of his American passport.

"What I'm realizing is that my friends whose kids are here, whose moms, dads are here and elderly people who are here, they can't just escape," Chmerovskiy said emotionally.

[...]

In Policy Shift, Germany Now Says It Will Send Ukraine 1,500 Antitank, Antiaircraft Missiles (rferl.org)
The German government says it will supply 1,000 anti-tank and 500 Stinger antiaircraft missiles to bolster Ukraine’s defenses in the face of an unprovoked onslaught by Russian forces, in a significant shift in Berlin’s policy regarding the war.

Germany also said on February 26 that it would allow the Netherlands to ship hundreds of German-made anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.

"The Russian invasion of Ukraine marks a turning point. It is our duty to do our best to support Ukraine in defending itself against Putin's invading army," Chancellor Olaf Scholz said in a statement.

Making Molotov Cocktails, Ukrainian Civilians Prepare To Defend Homes (rferl.org) - Video
Ukrainian civilians in the Kyiv region made Molotov cocktails as they prepared to defend their homes from invading Russian forces. People filled bottles with polystyrene plastic and gasoline on February 25 and said they were ready to fight for their country and help the Ukrainian military.

Russia now has at least 50% of its invasion force inside Ukraine but is making slow progress due to unexpectedly stiff resistance, a senior US defence official has said.
The official said that the Russian military had still not taken control of any Ukraine city, nor has it gained air superiority over the country, and the US had “indications that the Russians are increasingly frustrated by their lack of momentum over the last 24 hours.”

(...)

More European countries are in favour of cutting Russia out of the Swift global payments system, Zelenskiy and the Ukrainian foreign minister, Dmytro Kuleba, have said. France supported the move, said Kuleba, while the Cypriot finance minister said his country was not opposed. In Italy, the leader of PD, a main coalition party, said Rome would support a block.

(...)

Russian forces advance inside Ukraine: what we know so far

Lawyers "still trying to decide if the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as war"...seriously? Turn on the TV, log onto the WWW...open your eyes!

Snipped, paraphrased and assembled by me.

Turkey's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu added that Turkish legal experts were still trying to determine whether the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as a war, which would allow the1936 Montreux
Convention mandates to be invoked and block Russian warships from passing through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus Straits which lead to the Black Sea to continue to invade Ukraine from the sea.

Turkey says cannot stop Russian warships accessing Black Sea

Excerpt ...

"On a country road lined with birch trees, a Russian armoured vehicle had broken down.

He pulled up in his car and stopped. There was then a surreal conversation.

“Looks like you guys broke down,” he said to three Russian soldiers, standing by the road. “We ran out of fuel,” one replied. “Can I tow you back to Russia,” he joked. They laughed and asked him for news. “Do you know where you are going?” he inquired. “No,” they answered.

Further along the road other Russian vehicles had conked out. The driver told the hapless soldiers that “everything is on our side” and that Russians were busy surrendering. No one from Putin’s invading army seemed to know where they were going, or why they were even in Ukraine, he concluded.

... by Saturday, it was clear Putin’s blitzkrieg operation to remove Ukraine’s pro-western government had run into unexpected difficulties. Evidently, there were logistical issues. Re-supplying troops in a vast enemy country was proving a challenge.

So was seizing Kyiv, Ukraine’s defiant capital, home in normal times to three million people. The Kremlin’s original plan, according to Ukrainian intelligence, was to encircle the city with land forces and, during a night operation, to fly in 5,000 elite paratroopers.

They would storm the Mariinsky presidential palace, detain or kill Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, and take control over key government buildings, including the foreign and defence ministries.

This has not happened. Instead, Kyiv remained under government control this weekend after Ukrainian forces repulsed a series of attacks.

Meanwhile, Russian parachutists who tried to seize an airfield in the city of Vasylkiv, as a bridgehead to grab Kyiv, were beaten back."

How Ukrainian defiance has derailed Putin’s plans

Last edited:
Polish PM Chides Germany For Holding Back On Sanctions, 'Joke' Military Aid (rferl.org)
[...]

"There is no time today for the kind of unyielding egoism that we see in certain Western countries, including here in Germany unfortunately," Morawiecki told Polish reporters in Berlin ahead of a meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on February 26.

"That is why I came here... to shake the conscience of Germany. So that they finally decide on sanctions that are actually crushing," he added, according to the Polish news agency PAP.

In particular, Morawiecki singled out Germany's failure to supply weapons to Ukraine, instead offering helmets.

"Five thousand helmets? That must be some kind of joke. There needs to be real help... weapons," he said.

[...]

Germany's out for themselves, they are vested in the pipeline. Moo
Very, very disappointed in Germany. How quickly they forget the US helped rebuild and protected Germany.

Germany–United States relations - Wikipedia
A long read...skip down to history, could this be why Germany didn't support US and Ukraine???

Moo

Last edited:
Thank you to all my fellow WS members who have taken their time and been so kind to answer my question regards making the interpretation of Chinas 5 bullet point press release, easier to understand their position. I truly appreciate you all thank you
Angleterre
I'm totally loosing it, cant keep up with everything posted....Have my FB friends with noncene and wrong information set straight .....the ignorance...the not knowing....but I would like to contribute this.
Hauntingly beautiful @BitofHope
I often have a moan about the internet and speed of information, especially when false information, Is quickly dispersed to the masses. But I have to say that IMOO as much as it can still be a stumbling block in this world of Putins vengeance and cyber attacks are likely, I also want to thank my lucky stars that because we are all connected worldwide ( most countries anyway) , that collectively, we can make a positive difference and contribute to the brakes being applied to Putins March into not just Kiev but the prospect of other countries and ultimately WW111
We are more connected and well informed than ever before and although oft that can be worrying in itself, I am choosing to look at this as positively as one can and say to myself that we are far more educated than ever about world affairs and we are on the best footing that the WEST has ever seen with our allied partners and because of these relationships and the internet / World Wide Web and journalism connecting us to each other like never before (and certainly nothing like this was in place during 1939-1945 ) then we have a fighting chance collectively to prevent WW111
Even to the point of trade sanctions and freezing bank accounts and if necessary, restricting access to the financial payments system ( is it SWIFT or called something similar), and stopping import and exports and financial handouts and targeting partners of Putin etc
We hopefully can make a difference and be in a far better position than ever before, to prevent an all out 3rd world war. But we must continue to be robust in our approach and try to have dialogue so as not to push Putin towards using his nuclear, thermogenic and other erstwhile weapons that he has alluded to.
Thank you for sharing such a poignant piece @Bit of hope and reminding us of what once was that we hope never to see again ❤️♥️

Last edited:
Cruise lines to avoid Russian ports after Russian invasion of Ukraine (usatoday.com)

Cruise lines are scrapping Russian and Ukrainian ports from their itineraries after Russian troops launched an attack on Ukraine.

Three cruise lines owned by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings – Norwegian Cruise Line, Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Oceania Cruises – announced Thursday that they would adjust their itineraries and remove calls to Russian ports in 2022.

"The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our top priority," reads an emailed statement from Norwegian Cruise Line. "We are currently working to confirm replacement ports and will advise all impacted guests and travel advisors as soon as possible."...

PETA appeal: Simplify EU entry of animals from Ukraine
"The situation is shocking and affects us all very much. However, the EU must not forget that countless animals also suffer from the current emergency situation – they starve and die of thirst there when no one takes care of them anymore. We therefore call on the EU to temporarily suspend the legal provisions and to set up quarantine stations so that the family associations between people and their animal companions are not destroyed."
- Peter Höffken, PETA Germany

Special arrangements of individual countries
There is growing information that Poland, Romania and Hungary are making entry for animals less bureaucratic. At the borders, the traffic jams now seem to have a length of two to three days until the border crossing – so we were told of numerous places. We are constantly in the process of completing and verifying this information – our information is without guarantee.

Lawyers "still trying to decide if the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as war"...seriously? Turn on the TV, log onto the WWW...open your eyes!

Snipped, paraphrased and assembled by me.

Turkey's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu added that Turkish legal experts were still trying to determine whether the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as a war, which would allow the1936 Montreux
Convention mandates to be invoked and block Russian warships from passing through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus Straits which lead to the Black Sea to continue to invade Ukraine from the sea.

Turkey says cannot stop Russian warships accessing Black Sea

Just wonder...where and when was this pact made....

Karolina L Billing on Twitter
Despite great security and logistical challenges, @UNHCRUkraine
managed to deliver the first batch of blankets, sleeping mats and other core relief items today to Kryvyi Rig in central #Ukriane where more than 700 Ukrainians have arrived over the past days, seeking safety.

UNHCR Government Partners and 2 others

John Katsilometes on Twitter
#TheScene: @EvelPieLV
Russian vodka pour-out #DTLV (warning for loud sirens). Offering $5 shots of Ukrainian vodka, with all proceeds going to support humanitarian relief in #Ukraine through International Committee of the @RedCross#RJNow
@reviewjournal #Vegas

Germany's out for themselves, they are vested in the pipeline. Moo
Very, very disappointed in Germany. How quickly they forget the US helped rebuild and protected Germany.

Germany–United States relations - Wikipedia
A long read...skip down to history, could this be why Germany didn't support US and Ukraine???

Moo

I think we need some German people right here, right now...I'm sure there are German WS members......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member