Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be really honest...I have to go to bed....but I'm so very scared about the news when I wake up. Please keep standing Kiev.....love to all the people of the Ukraine...it's so hard to imagine what they are going through...
@Bit of hope
Please try and get some rest
Meditate for a few minutes or do some timed Mindfulness sessions ( I can tell you which app in private so as not to encumber this thread).
As bad as it is, after a restful sleep, tomorrow you will find some positives out of the current situation. I know it’s easy for us to say that, in our own homes and not surrounded by violence as in Kiev BUT look already at the progress Kiev is making and the support she’s receiving ( which would have been unthinkable 25 years ago). She is standing proud and Putins plan is being frustrated by the fight and the pride that the people of Kiev and indeed the whole of Ukraine are displaying. God Bless you and all the people of Kiev x

Zelenskiy Welcomes Offers By Azerbaijan, Turkey To Mediate Talks With Russia (rferl.org)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said he welcomes offers by Azerbaijan and Turkey to organize talks with Moscow as Russian troops continue their invasion of Ukraine and drive on toward the capital, Kyiv.

In a video message on February 26, Zelenskiy said that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev offered to help organize talks and that “we can only welcome that.”

However, hopes for an immediate move to talks appeared dim as residents of the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, braced for a direct assault by Russian troops who were in the third day of an invasion of their country.

[...]

SOTA on Twitter (Video)
❗️В Санкт-Петербурге задержали женщину с маленьким ребёнком на руках
Она развернула листок с символом мира. В задержании участие принимали как минимум шесть полицейских. На фоне — песня группы «Любэ» «От Волги до Енисея» из автомобиля полицейских.
Видео: Пётр Иванов, SOTA.

Translated from Russian by Google
❗A woman with a small child in her arms was detained in St. Petersburg
She unfolded the piece of paper with the symbol of peace. At least six police officers were involved in the arrest. In the background - the song of the group "Lube" "From the Volga to the Yenisei" from the car of the police.
Video: Peter Ivanov, SOTA.

:mad::eek::mad:

CGTN America on Twitter (China state-affiliated media) - Video
HAPPENING NOW: An oil depot in Luhansk in eastern Ukraine has exploded and caught on fire, with about 200 tons of diesel now burning. Luhansk authorities said people were injured, and that the explosion may have been caused by a rocket attack from Ukraine.

Abramovich Hands Control Of Chelsea Soccer Team To Foundation As Britain Steps Up Sanctions (rferl.org)
Abramovich did not mention the war in his statement.

Abramovich will still own the club but control of activities will go to the trustees.

Russia To Pay For Putin's Ukraine Invasion With Higher Inflation, Weaker Ruble, Slower Growth (rferl.org)
The Kremlin's February 24 invasion -- and expectations of severe sanctions response by the West -- drove economists to slash their economic growth forecasts for Russia. The developments also pushed investors to dump their Russian stock and bonds, triggering the biggest one-day stock market decline in the nation's history and sending the ruble to a record low.

Abramovich is good enough pals with Putin that he gave Putin a $35 million, 57 foot yacht in 2018.

Abramovich has done a lot for charity, but this useless move only shows he is playing both sides of the fields in this war. I think the UK government should be keeping very tight tabs on him and his communications. With a $2.5 billion fortune, he is an asset to Russia.

Last edited:
Just wonder...where and when was this pact made....
Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits - Wikipedia

The Montreux Convention Regarding the Regime of the Straits is a 1936 agreement that gives Turkey control over the Bosporus and Dardanelles Straits and regulates the transit of naval warships. The Convention guarantees the free passage of civilian vessels in peacetime, and restricts the passage of naval ships not belonging to Black Sea states. The terms of the Convention have been a source of controversy over the years, most notably about the Soviet Union's military access to the Mediterranean Sea.

The Convention consists of 29 Articles, four annexes and one protocol. Articles 2–7 consider the passage of merchant ships. Articles 8–22 consider the passage of war vessels. The key principle of freedom of passage and navigation is stated in articles 1 and 2. Article 1 provides, "The High Contracting Parties recognise and affirm the principle of freedom of passage and navigation by sea in the Straits". Article 2 states, "In time of peace, merchant vessels shall enjoy complete freedom of passage and navigation in the Straits, by day and by night, under any flag with any kind of cargo."

Russia-Ukraine live updates: Ukraine says Russia will be disconnected from SWIFT - ABC News (go.com)
[...]

Russian forces: 'We don’t know who to shoot, they all look like us'
A senior U.S. official told ABC News they've heard a Russian soldier on a radio call saying, “We don’t know who to shoot -- they all look like us.”

The official also said some Russian forces are disoriented, realizing the battles against Ukrainians are harder than they thought.
ukrainian-troops-kyiv-car-ks_hpEmbed_20220226-073548_3x2_992.jpg

[...]

Germany drops opposition to sending lethal aid
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz has announced that Germany is dropping its historic position of not providing lethal military aid to conflict zones, saying Russia's "invasion marks a turning point."
Scholz-ap-er-220226_1645907581912_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

[...]

Ukrainians waiting 40 hours to cross border: UN
At a border crossing near Zosin, Poland -- due west of Kyiv -- Ukrainians are waiting for 40 hours to cross into Poland in a nearly 10-mile backlog, said Chris Meltzer of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Meltzer said one woman with her two children told him it took her 12 hours to get out of Kyiv and then they spent another 38 hours waiting in their car without heat or a bathroom.

Ukraine-5-ap-er-220226_1645890108246_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

[...]

Zelenskyy says Russia will be disconnected from SWIFT
Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Saturday Western countries have agreed to disconnect Russia from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) banking network.

Ukraine-4-gty-er-220226_1645889883102_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

"For Russia it will mean being cut off [from] normal financial civilization. This is a big diplomatic victory," he said. "Russia will suffer billions upon billions of financial losses -- their price for invasion."

Ukraine’s foreign minister said earlier that technical preparations have begun for disconnecting Russia from SWIFT and that the last holdouts, Germany and Hungary, have signaled they're no longer opposed.

[...]

Abramovich is good enough pals with Putin that he gave him a $35 million, 57 foot yacht in 2018.

Abramovich has done a lot for charity, but this useless move only shows he is playing both sides of the fields in this war.
O/T but if you read a book - Red Notice by Bill Browder - I suggest you start with before moving onto other similar books, the relationship with Abramovich and Putin is laid out and when Abramovich was allied to Boris Berezovsky ( prior to their opposing sides within the British Courts and Courts of appeal in London ), BB acted as Abramovich’s “ Krysha” ( roof, protector) until he fell foul of Putin whereby Putin directed Abromovich to pick his side ( in other words choose Putin and no trouble will occur but choose Berezovsky at your peril). Abromovich ‘bit the hand that fed him’ and disrobed himself of Berezovsky and aligned himself to Putin. It’s an amazing read and it gives a greater understanding of how the Oligarchs originated and how Putin rose to the top and why he had Alexander Litvinchenko poisoned with plutonium whereby he , AL, died a very painful torturous death 3 weeks after being poisoned etc and details relationships in the Kremlin and which other Oligarchs fell foul of Putin and why . When the Salisbury poisonings of the Russian defector, Sergei and his daughter Yulia SKRIPAL occurred , this was only one attempt of 15 alleged committed murders on British soil by the Russians which were known by the Government but were swept under the carpet because of more positive relations with Russia for many years and the Oligarchs money flowing into the U.K. and their subsequent investments and financial support of our Goverment . Truly an excellent perspective.

Last edited:
Zelenskiy Welcomes Offers By Azerbaijan, Turkey To Mediate Talks With Russia (rferl.org)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said he welcomes offers by Azerbaijan and Turkey to organize talks with Moscow as Russian troops continue their invasion of Ukraine and drive on toward the capital, Kyiv.

In a video message on February 26, Zelenskiy said that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev offered to help organize talks and that “we can only welcome that.”

However, hopes for an immediate move to talks appeared dim as residents of the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, braced for a direct assault by Russian troops who were in the third day of an invasion of their country.

[...]

I must say Turkey has really stepped up to the plate.

ABC News on Twitter
Ukrainian tanks move on a road in Lugansk region of eastern Ukraine amid Russia's invasion.

LIVE UPDATES: Russia-Ukraine live updates: Ukraine says Russia will be disconnected from SWIFT - ABC News (go.com)

Dmytro Kuleba on Twitter (Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine)
Russian propaganda has gone off the rails and speculates Ukraine might be preparing to drop a ‘dirty bomb’ on the Russian territory. This is a sick fake. Ukraine doesn’t have nuclear weapons, doesn’t conduct any work to create/acquire them. We are a responsible member of the NPT.

A total of 2,692 people have been detained in anti-war protests in Russia in the last three days, according to the protest monitoring site OVD-Info.

More than 1,800 people were arrested at rallies across the country on Thursday night, after Russians protested on the streets of Moscow, St Petersburg and more than 50 other Russian cities.

Russia-Ukraine latest news: gunfights continue in Kyiv as Germany sends anti-tank weapons and missiles – live
Watching the videos of protesters in Russia being "detained" the last few days, I find it VERY difficult to believe it's only 2,692 people being held and 1800 arrested. I imagine this is Russia's "version" of the truth.

Zelenskyy says Russia will be disconnected from SWIFT
Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Saturday Western countries have agreed to disconnect Russia from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) banking network.

I hope and pray this is true and action is immediate.

Don't think the NATO countries expected world wide support and outrage. Twitter is ablaze...Moo

They really need a coup in Russia. Their leader is bringing down their country. This reminds me of an old Tom Clancy book I read, years ago..."Red Storm Rising". Fiction or real? How strange.

I know this much, you couldn't pay me to go to Europe right now.
I understand your sentiments
Unfortunately I am within Europe but fortunately nowhere near Ukraine

Abramovich may also be remembering that both Alexander Litvinenko and Sergei Skirpal were fatally poisoned by Putin's henchmen while living in the UK.

I have to think he has fears for his own life and those of his family.

Abramovich got a lot of money from Russia. Oil, gas and whatnot. He was also the governor of Chukotka (did a lot of good for the region, to give him credit), and this, among other things, means diamonds. He is an asset for Russia and chances are, he is not afraid of being poisoned. A very different person in a different role.

O/T but if you read a book - Red Notice by Bill Browder - I suggest you start with before moving onto other similar books, the relationship with Abramovich and Putin is laid out and when Abramovich was allied to Boris Berezovsky ( prior to their opposing sides within the British Courts and Courts of appeal in London ), BB acted as Abramovich’s “ Krysha” ( roof, protector) until he fell foul of Putin whereby Putin directed Abromovich to pick his side ( in other words choose Putin and no trouble will occur but choose Berezovsky at your peril). Abromovich ‘bit the hand that fed him’ and disrobed himself of Berezovsky and aligned himself to Putin. It’s an amazing read and it gives a greater understanding of how the Oligarchs originated and how Putin rose to the top and why he had Alexander Litvinchenko poisoned with plutonium whereby he , AL, died a very painful torturous death 3 weeks after being poisoned etc and details relationships in the Kremlin and which other Oligarchs fell foul of Putin and why . When the Salisbury poisonings of the Russian defector, Sergei and his daughter Yulia SKRIPAL occurred , this was only one attempt of 15 alleged committed murders on British soil by the Russians which were known by the Government but were swept under the carpet because of more positive relations with Russia for many years and the Oligarchs money flowing into the U.K. and their subsequent investments and financial support of our Goverment . Truly an excellent perspective.

Wow. A lot of back story to everything that involves Putin.

Again, it seems to imply that Abramovich has chosen Putin in today's events, too.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad that they are pinching in too. Better late then never right? Still disappointed of their late and rather weak response. Cmon Germany!
Yeah, the more I think of the billions the US has spent in military bases, troopers, aircraft, etc, the more I'm upset.

The US built Germany several air bases, Ramstein one of the best in the world.

Ramstein Air Base - Wikipedia

Ramstein Air Base or Ramstein AB (IATA: RMS, ICAO: ETAR) is a United States Air Force base in Rhineland-Palatinate, a state in southwestern Germany. It serves as headquarters for the United States Air Forces in Europe – Air Forces Africa (USAFE-AFAFRICA) and also for NATO Allied Air Command (AIRCOM). Ramstein is located near the town of Ramstein-Miesenbach, which stands outside the base's west gate, in the rural district of Kaiserslautern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member