Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t read the book (I should), but there is some time issue with it. Berezovsky was active in Yeltsin’s time - got money from Logovaz, and found the “back door” to Yeltsin’s environment, through his family. Berezovsky was universally hated in Russia, called “the devil”. Partially in had to do with anti-ssmitism (BB was, ironically, half-Russian and Russian Orthodox, but looked Jewish), but mostly, because BB was too obviously, loudly, unpleasant. Abramovich, seemingly, is much more social and possibly, pragmatic. The transition from BB to Abramovich coincided with transition from Yeltsin to Putin, it seems, as BB’s main support was “the family” (Yeltsin’s daughters and their husbands).
Yes you are correct but it then lays the groundwork for Putin and Abromovich relationship

I find this article and line of thought very concerning.

Excerpts:

Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of Russia’s Security Council chaired by President Vladimir Putin, said Moscow may respond to Western sanctions by opting out of the last nuclear arms deal with the U.S., cutting diplomatic ties with Western nations and freezing their assets.

He also warned that Moscow could restore the death penalty after Russia was removed from Europe’s top rights group — a chilling statement that shocked human rights activists in a country that has had a moratorium on capital punishment since August 1996.

If Russia opts out of the agreement now, it will remove any checks on U.S. and Russian nuclear forces and raise new threats to global security.

Anti-war sentiment grows in Russia despite govt crackdown

I was just reading an article that says while disconnecting them from SWIFT makes their trading more difficult, they will then likely switch to the old fashioned way of trading through the banks.

Apparently, this is what happened when Iran was cut from SWIFT in 2012.

Also:
"If Russia is banned from Swift then there is a strong chance that Russia and China will club together to form their own system of financial settlements — which could over time become the basis of much global trade outside Europe and North America."
Will the West shut Russia out of Swift?

(I am glad this move is being taken, but just showing the alternatives that might happen ... as stated by talking heads.)

Last edited:
I'm from NIreland, and my great grandmother was born in Lithuania and left in 1900's... I feel so sick, sad and anxious for the Ukraine people! I just think Putin has something more sinister in his plans and this is just the start...totally frightening!!!

I think that's everybody's fear, but I sure hope it doesn't spread further. There's something so cold and territorial about nations digging in their feet when they lose some land--and never giving up on getting it back. Look what happened in the US when the South seceded--it turned into a civil war to force them back into the union. Look at the territorial problem on the West Bank and Gaza. These things start wars and they can go on for decades, maybe longer.

You're right to worry about Lithuania--if it spreads to there--it will be in a NATO country and then all hell could break loose.

I say we try to compromise--maybe let Russia have the little portion of the far eastern part of Ukraine -- the Dombas region (since that region wants to rejoin Russia, anyway -- in exchange for Putin leaving Kyiv and the rest of the country alone.

And then, I say NATO needs to quit recruiting former USSR countries. Let's just stop messing around over there. Let's let them figure out what they want on their own.

But, maybe that's all a fantasy.

JMOO

I was just reading an article that says while disconnecting them from SWIFT makes their trading more difficult, they will then likely switch to the old fashioned way of trading through the banks.

Apparently, this is what happened when Iran was cut from SWIFT in 2012.

Also:
"If Russia is banned from Swift then there is a strong chance that Russia and China will club together to form their own system of financial settlements — which could over time become the basis of much global trade outside Europe and North America."
Will the West shut Russia out of Swift?

(I am glad this move is being taken, but just showing the alternatives that might happen ... as stated by talking heads.)

It doesn't look like we have any truly good choices. China and Russia together would have a lot of financial power.

https://twitter.com/avindman/status/1497685325333905417?s=21

The feared leader of the Chechen Republic, a constituent of the Russian Federation, say “he does not want to fight against Ukraine.” His forces were considered shock troops and meant to bread terror in Ukraine. He and his forces are out of Russia’s Ukraine war!

Source: Chechen video shared by @avindman | Alexander S. Vindman, verified U.S. journalist

https://twitter.com/avindman/status/1497685325333905417?s=21

The feared leader of the Chechen Republic, a constituent of the Russian Federation, say “he does not want to fight against Ukraine.” His forces were considered shock troops and meant to bread terror in Ukraine. He and his forces are out of Russia’s Ukraine war!

Source: Chechen video shared by @avindman | Alexander S. Vindman, verified U.S. journalist

Putin is really looking extremely stupid right now. I'm okay with that. :)

Putin shunned by world as his hopes of quick victory evaporate

Russian troops facing fierce resistance as Germany abandons its postwar military stance to supply arms to Ukraine

Vladimir Putin was facing growing international isolation and the prospect of pariah status on Saturday night as long-term allies dramatically turned against him following the invasion of Ukraine, and western nations planned further decisive military and financial action against Moscow.

As his hopes of a quick victory evaporated in the face of fierce resistance by Ukrainian soldiers and armies of citizen volunteers, Russia’s president was deserted by his key ally, China, and had his ultimatum demanding Kyiv’s surrender defiantly brushed aside by Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

In perhaps the most striking development, Germany announced on Saturday night that it would supply Ukrainian troops with 1,000 anti-tank weapons as well as 500 Stinger missiles from its own military reserves.

“The Russian assault on Ukraine marks a turning point,” Germany’s chancellor, Olaf Scholz, said, signalling a major shift in his country’s postwar military stance. “It threatens our entire postwar order. In this situation it is our duty to support Ukraine to the best of our ability in its defence against the invasive army of Vladimir Putin. Germany stands closely on the side of Ukraine.”

Significantly, the German government was also said to be bowing to intense pressure from Britain, the US and Canada to ban Russia from the crucial Swift banking payments system after repeated appeals from Kyiv for the west to do so. Sources in Berlin said German ministers’ views were shifting on the issue and they were actively discussing measures that “would hit the right people”, having previously resisted, partly because of fears that a ban would affect the flow of funds to aid agencies in Russia.

In further blows to Putin, Hungary’s leader, Viktor Orbán, long seen as friendly towards Moscow, abandoned his support, saying he would back all EU sanctions against Russia, while Turkey was reported to be considering blocking the passage of Russian naval vessels into the Black Sea.

(...)

Having held off Russian forces for two nights, morale in Kyiv remained high among Ukrainians of all ages and from all walks of life, as many queued to take up arms. Many also gleefully shared videos of unarmed civilians rushing into the road to stop advancing convoys and fearlessly berating Russian soldiers about why they had come to Ukraine. Around the country, Russian forces were not confirmed as having control of a single major city, while Zelenskiy remained in Kyiv and told Americans who offered to evacuate him: “The fight is here. I need ammunition, not a ride.”

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members