Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Protests Erupt In Russia, Worldwide Against Moscow's Invasion Of Ukraine (rferl.org)
[...]

"I want the people of Russia to hear me," he [Zelensky] said in a video address. "Absolutely everyone."

"[There are] thousands of dead [Russian] soldiers, hundreds of prisoners of war who don’t understand why they sent them to Ukraine, sent them to Ukraine to die and kill others. The sooner you tell your leaders that the war needs to be immediately stopped, the more your soldiers will survive."

[...]

In the former Soviet republic of Georgia, about 30,000 people hit the streets of the capital, Tbilisi, holding Georgian and Ukrainian and singing both countries' national anthems.

[...]

"We have sympathy for the Ukrainians, perhaps more than other countries, because we've experienced Russia's barbaric aggression on our soil," 32-year-old taxi driver NT, told AFP.

[...]

In a rare event in Iran siding with Western powers, video showed about 50 people in Tehran assembled near the Ukrainian Embassy, some holding candles and Ukrainian flags and chanting, “Death to Putin.”

In Switzerland -- which often prides itself on its “neutral” stance in conflicts, thousands of people gathered across the country, including about 1,000 outside the UN European headquarters in Geneva.

[...]

They demanded tougher actions from the Swiss government, which has not yet imposed strict measures against Russia, so far sticking its traditional stance of not taking sides.

Protests with crowds numbering into the low thousands were seen in many other countries, including in Russia's neighbor Finland -- where thousands of people gathered in the capital, Helsinki, shouting "Russia out, down with Putin!"

In Rome, protesters responded to a call of trade unions and nongovernment organizations and gathered around a podium with the words "Against War."

The night before, thousands had taken part in a torch-lit procession to the Italian capital’s famed Colosseum.

Protests were also seen in places as diverse as Britain, France, Greece, Argentina, the United States, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, and Taiwan.

[...]

Government official from Ukraine

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1497543633293266944?t=4sLnajtrRZskq4xlYdGVTQ&s=19

@elonmusk, while you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand.

Elon Musk replied back:

Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route.

;)

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Elon Musk's Starlink satellite system providing internet access is now active in Ukraine. Satellite terminals are on the way to Ukraine. This could be useful if Russia’s attacks destabilize Ukraine’s internet.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Column of Russian special forces defeated near Hostomel "Kadyrovites," named so for the Head of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov.
According to Channel 24 sources, the Ukrainian military blew up an echelon of 56 tanks that included General Magomed Tushayev, who was killed.

@IAPonomarenko

Vasylkiv right now. An oil terminal has been targeted. Local population needs urgent evacuation
Russians targeted it with a missile. Now it’s a grave environmental disaster.
FMjzcpeX0AUMbAH

Last edited:
Jörg #StandingWithUkraine on Twitter
Seit 16 Uhr ist nun auch die Wetterstation am Flughafen Kiew-Zhuliany offline gegangen, so meldet als last airport standing nur noch Lviv.

Translated from German by Google:
The weather station at Kiev-Zhuliany Airport has now also gone offline since 4 p.m., so only Lviv reports as the last airport standing.

I was just reading an article that says while disconnecting them from SWIFT makes their trading more difficult, they will then likely switch to the old fashioned way of trading through the banks.

Apparently, this is what happened when Iran was cut from SWIFT in 2012.

Also:
"If Russia is banned from Swift then there is a strong chance that Russia and China will club together to form their own system of financial settlements — which could over time become the basis of much global trade outside Europe and North America."
Will the West shut Russia out of Swift?

(I am glad this move is being taken, but just showing the alternatives that might happen ... as stated by talking heads.)
Ok I may be showing my lack of knowledge and ignorance here but I need to ask a question please
If they are excluded from Swift and revert to using the banking system as was, because of the downgrade on their credit rating and the fact that the US have said they are targeting their banking reserves so that they have nothing to fall back on and so many countries are refusing to trade with Russia, will this not either collapse the banking system also or at least severely impede it? Or is it not that simple? Doesn’t quite work like that?

Third day of Irish protests against Russian invasion

Hundreds of people have taken part in protests in Dublin in opposition to Russia's assault on Ukraine.

People taking part in the 'Stand with Ukraine' rally at the GPO marched from O'Connell Street via Leinster House to the Ukrainian Embassy in Ballsbridge, chanting "we need peace".

In speeches to a large crowd, the Georgian and Lithuanian Ambassadors to Ireland voiced their support for the Ukrainian people.

In another address, Ukrainian Ambassador to Ireland Larysa Gerasko called on the Irish Government to expel her Russian counterpart.

The day of demonstrations ended with a candlelight vigil and prayers outside the Ukrainian Embassy.

(...)

Earlier, for a third consecutive day, demonstrators gathered outside the Russian Embassy in Dublin calling for an end to the invasion.

Orwell Road, where the embassy is located, was closed to traffic due to the large number of people who attended the event.

(...)

There were chants of "stop the war" and "Ambassador Filatov, out, out, out."

The former Minister for Foreign Affairs and Justice, Charlie Flanagan, has also called on the ambassador to "leave our country."

Earlier, a number of protestors blocked cars from leaving the embassy.

(...)

Earlier today I saw a tweet from a reporter who had been told to look for unexplained dirt piles around the city. He’d been told that Ukrainian volunteers were given UV black lights to search the ground for missile targets marked by Russian operatives. When volunteers found markings, they covered them with piles of dirt to hide them. The reporter did find a few of these random piles of dirt on the sidewalks of city streets.

(I wish I’d saved it.)

Still image of the fire at the oil depot

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
The oil depot near Vasylkiv is on fire after the Russian missile strike,
@Liveuamap reports, image via @Victorius_Prime

Video from 16 minutes ago...

Christo Grozev on Twitter
Kyiv now. Continuous rocket shelling. And three convoys of tanks - almost 500 in total - approaching the city from different directions. It will be hellish tonight.

I don’t like the idea of Russia and China buddying up. Why not throw Crazy Kim (the Korean, not the Kardashian) into the mix of unhinged dictators.

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1497709457438040067?s=21

Per @idreesali114 | Verified Reuters journalist

SEOUL, Feb 27 (Reuters) - North Korea fired an unidentified projectile eastward, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Sunday, in what is likely the latest missile launch by the nuclear armed country.

:eek:

I typed my post (above) then saw yours, feel like I jinxed it. Not great news…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416