Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Armed with hammers and pistols, Ukrainians wait at barricades for the Russians

At makeshift checkpoints, motley crews of citizens vow to do everything in their power to halt the Russian advance

The barricade started as a few men waiting nervously in the road on Friday, and grew gradually over the course of Saturday. By the afternoon, this modest attempt to stop a Russian advance on the capital of Ukraine was complete: sandbags, wooden crates and bricks piled high, with a blue-yellow national flag flying above them.

The motley crew had no illusions about the level of resistance they would be able to offer to one of the world’s most ruthless and technologically advanced armies, but like thousands in and around Kyiv they were determined to do what they could anyway. “I practised shooting yesterday and I came out here today for my first shift. I’ll be honest, I’m terrified,” said Alexander, 50.

(...)

Recruiting stations were overwhelmed by citizens of all ages, some well into their retirement, signing up to take weapons for the fight. “I planned to plant tulips and daffodils on my backyard today. Instead, I learn to fire arms and get ready for the next night of attacks on Kyiv,” said MP Kira Rudik on Twitter. “We are not going anywhere. This is our city, our land, our soil. We will fight for it. So next week I can plant my flowers. Here.”

(...)

Ok I may be showing my lack of knowledge and ignorance here but I need to ask a question please
If they are excluded from Swift and revert to using the banking system as was, because of the downgrade on their credit rating and the fact that the US have said they are targeting their banking reserves so that they have nothing to fall back on and so many countries are refusing to trade with Russia, will this not either collapse the banking system also or at least severely impede it? Or is it not that simple? Doesn’t quite work like that?

I guess there are alternatives.

Russia and China (and others) have their own banks, so they could probably trade amongst each other.

And they could maybe use a broker for their transactions, so that the participating banks aren't directly dealing with the Russian banks. Presumably, there are non-participating banks in other countries.

IDK

Russia's war on Ukraine: Where fighting is on now (Feb. 27 live updates) (kyivindependent.com)

1:00 a.m.

Hostomel, Kyiv Oblast: Column of Russian special forces defeated near Hostomel “Kadyrovites,” named so for the Head of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov. According to Channel 24 sources, the Ukrainian military blew up an echelon of 56 tanks that included General Magomed Tushayev, who was killed.

Kharkiv, Kharkiv Oblast: Russian TV channel Dozhd reported intense shelling in Kharkiv.

Vasylkiv, Kyiv Oblast: This town 33 kilometers outside Kyiv is under heavy assault, according to several eyewitnesses who spoke to the Kyiv Independent. The town’s mayor confirmed that Russia has bombed an oil storage depot.

One eyewitness described the sound of small explosions, each followed by a plume of flames. The smoke is extreme, the eyewitness said. A second eyewitness said they heard a roar that sounded like thunder, followed by loud fireworks, leading them to believe that shelling has begun.

A third eyewitness who lives near Demiivska Street in Kyiv can see the explosions in Vasylkiv from their house.

Kyiv, Kyiv Oblast: A loud explosion rang out near the Paton Bridge connecting Kyiv’s left and right bank, followed by fire, according to an Ukrinform correspondent who witnessed the event.

CNN reported that two large explosions lit up the night sky to the southwest of Kyiv with one detonation that appeared to be approximately 20 kilometers from the city center.

Still image of the fire at the oil depot

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
The oil depot near Vasylkiv is on fire after the Russian missile strike,
@Liveuamap reports, image via @Victorius_Prime

Video from 16 minutes ago...

Christo Grozev on Twitter
Kyiv now. Continuous rocket shelling. And three convoys of tanks - almost 500 in total - approaching the city from different directions. It will be hellish tonight.

Have you been able to confirm the 500 tanks anywhere else? I've been looking all over for confirmation.

U.S., EU, U.K. Lead Agreement To Block Russia's Access To SWIFT Banking Network (rferl.org)
A group of Western nations led by the United States, the European Union and the United Kingdom have agreed to block access for "selected" Russian banks to the SWIFT financial system and impose "restrictive" measures against Russia's central bank to punish the Kremlin for its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine earlier this week.

A senior U.S. administration official warned the measures -- among the toughest announced yet against Russia for its aggression against Ukraine -- will pierce Russia's financial defenses built over the past eight years and send the Russian ruble into "freefall."

[...]

In their joint statement announcing the measures, the group of nations -- which also includes France, Germany, Italy, and Canada -- did not say which Russian banks will be selected, but von der Leyen said more could be added.

[...]

The group of nations will leave some Russian banks connected to SWIFT in order to pay for Russian oil and gas exports. Russia is the biggest supplier of energy to Europe.

[...]

Von der Leyen said the measures aimed at Russia's central bank would paralyse its assets and making it impossible for the central bank to liquidate its assets.

A senior U.S. official said the moves would prevent the Russian central bank from selling its $630 billion in gold and foreign currency reserves to Western countries and is likely to send the ruble into a "freefall." The impact will be felt immediately, the official said.

[...]

I guess there are alternatives.

Russia and China (and others) have their own banks, so they could probably trade amongst each other.

And they could maybe use a broker for their transactions, so that the participating banks aren't directly dealing with the Russian banks. Presumably, there are non-participating banks in other countries.

IDK
Thank you
I hadn’t thought of that

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
⚡️Russians blow up a gas pipeline in Kharkiv.
A video posted by TSN news shows a powerful explosion in the shape of a mushroom cloud in the sky over the city in eastern Ukraine.

^^Not the same as the oil depot in Vasylkiv.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
The footage shows a gas pipeline on fire in Kharkiv after a Russian attack. Video: State Special Communications Service of Ukraine

Last edited:
Kremlin website down for several hours

Six Russian government websites are currently down, according to the Kyiv Independent.

That list reportedly includes the official sites of the Kremlin and Russia's media regulatory agency.

The outlet attributed its reporting to sources at Ukraine's state telecommunications agency.

State TV channels have also been “hacked to play Ukrainian songs", it says. (BBM) :p

The Anonymous hacking collective has taken credit for the attacks, but this has not been independently confirmed.

Ukraine live updates: Kyiv braced for incoming missile attacks - BBC News

Armed with hammers and pistols, Ukrainians wait at barricades for the Russians

At makeshift checkpoints, motley crews of citizens vow to do everything in their power to halt the Russian advance

The barricade started as a few men waiting nervously in the road on Friday, and grew gradually over the course of Saturday. By the afternoon, this modest attempt to stop a Russian advance on the capital of Ukraine was complete: sandbags, wooden crates and bricks piled high, with a blue-yellow national flag flying above them.

The motley crew had no illusions about the level of resistance they would be able to offer to one of the world’s most ruthless and technologically advanced armies, but like thousands in and around Kyiv they were determined to do what they could anyway. “I practised shooting yesterday and I came out here today for my first shift. I’ll be honest, I’m terrified,” said Alexander, 50.

(...)

Recruiting stations were overwhelmed by citizens of all ages, some well into their retirement, signing up to take weapons for the fight. “I planned to plant tulips and daffodils on my backyard today. Instead, I learn to fire arms and get ready for the next night of attacks on Kyiv,” said MP Kira Rudik on Twitter. “We are not going anywhere. This is our city, our land, our soil. We will fight for it. So next week I can plant my flowers. Here.”

(...)

The solidarity and steadfast loyalty that has been displayed the past three days makes my heart warm. The Ukrainians believe in their Leader, and their Leader believes in them. What we are seeing is not something that can be dictated. It comes from a place of trust and compassion for ones fellow man/woman. Every Ukrainian Citizen is a hero in my mind.
We will read about this for years to come.

Thank you
I hadn’t thought of that

I think there are electronic “trails” that show where money is coming from. No doubt there will be some methods of bypassing the system, but it will make financial transactions difficult for Russia.

The biggest problem that I see is Europe’s dependence on Russian oil and gas. That is a major source of cash flow for Russia. Unless Europe is somehow uncoupled from Russia as an oil and gas source, the Russians will still have financial stability from this income stream. I could envision the Russians themselves cutting off oil and gas to Europe, in a bid to intimidate. But this would backfire, as Europe would then be forced to find alternative suppliers.

I find this article and line of thought very concerning.

Excerpts:

Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of Russia’s Security Council chaired by President Vladimir Putin, said Moscow may respond to Western sanctions by opting out of the last nuclear arms deal with the U.S., cutting diplomatic ties with Western nations and freezing their assets.

He also warned that Moscow could restore the death penalty after Russia was removed from Europe’s top rights group — a chilling statement that shocked human rights activists in a country that has had a moratorium on capital punishment since August 1996.

If Russia opts out of the agreement now, it will remove any checks on U.S. and Russian nuclear forces and raise new threats to global security.

Anti-war sentiment grows in Russia despite govt crackdown
I do believe Putin's out for a full fledged war, determine to rebuild his empire. He's deranged and I feel world leaders are seeing this. Keep in mind they know way more than we do.

If NATO gives up Ukraine, Putin will have the greatest of power. He will move forward to over throw other countries.

Not feeling good about this for our entire world.
Moo...

Government official from Ukraine

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1497543633293266944?t=4sLnajtrRZskq4xlYdGVTQ&s=19

@elonmusk, while you try to colonize Mars — Russia try to occupy Ukraine! While your rockets successfully land from space — Russian rockets attack Ukrainian civil people! We ask you to provide Ukraine with Starlink stations and to address sane Russians to stand.

Elon Musk replied back:

Starlink service is now active in Ukraine. More terminals en route.

;)

Thank goodness.

I do believe Putin's out for a full fledged war, determine to rebuild his empire. He's deranged and I feel world leaders are seeing this. Keep in mind they know way more than we do.

If NATO gives up Ukraine, Putin will have the greatest of power. He will move forward to over throw other countries.

Not feeling good about this for our entire world.
Moo...

Let's have faith, that's all we have right now. I have faith the world has shook its collective head and secret meetings are taking place. JMO

Ukraine needs alot if fire power to beat out a 500 tank convoy.

I, as many I'm sure are having a hard time watching the Ukraine assault, while the 82nd Airborne is assisting incoming immigrants at the Polish border. All the planes, helicopters, troops just standing by, only engaging if a NATO country is attacked.

I just keep praying for a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member