Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need a coup in Russia. Their leader is bringing down their country. This reminds me of an old Tom Clancy book I read, years ago..."Red Storm Rising". Fiction or real? How strange.

I know this much, you couldn't pay me to go to Europe right now.

To have a coup, you have to have the leader. Opposition leaders are in jail. Some other oligarch? They are all afraid to lose their money in the coup. As one of Russian writers said, the government system, inherited from the Golden Horde, implies, extreme centralization of power plus, sacralization of it. It has always been like this, from the first Romanovs, even earlier. So instead of coups, there are revolutions in Russia - but it happens only when, instead of arresting the protesters, the police and army will starts hugging them.

I would like to know where everybody is from....just to understand and seeing posts in perspective.

I was born and raised in the Netherlands....still there....in case somebody might have missed that. :)

I'm from NIreland, and my great grandmother was born in Lithuania and left in 1900's... I feel so sick, sad and anxious for the Ukraine people! I just think Putin has something more sinister in his plans and this is just the start...totally frightening!!!

To have a coup, you have to have the leader. Opposition leaders are in jail. Some other oligarch? They are all afraid to lose their money in the coup. As one of Russian writers said, the government system, inherited from the Golden Horde, implies, extreme centralization of power plus, sacralization of it. It has always been like this, from the first Romanovs, even earlier. So instead of coups, there are revolutions in Russia - but it happens only when, instead of arresting the protesters, the police and army will starts hugging them.

All they need is someone less crazy than Putin. And wants to take the power for himself. Putin keeps friends close, and enemies closer. No doubt, within the "Circle of Power" there is someone who would be happy to take Putin down. Just needs an incentive. And an opportunity. We can only hope.

O/T but if you read a book - Red Notice by Bill Browder - I suggest you start with before moving onto other similar books, the relationship with Abramovich and Putin is laid out and when Abramovich was allied to Boris Berezovsky ( prior to their opposing sides within the British Courts and Courts of appeal in London ), BB acted as Abramovich’s “ Krysha” ( roof, protector) until he fell foul of Putin whereby Putin directed Abromovich to pick his side ( in other words choose Putin and no trouble will occur but choose Berezovsky at your peril). Abromovich ‘bit the hand that fed him’ and disrobed himself of Berezovsky and aligned himself to Putin. It’s an amazing read and it gives a greater understanding of how the Oligarchs originated and how Putin rose to the top and why he had Alexander Litvinchenko poisoned with plutonium whereby he , AL, died a very painful torturous death 3 weeks after being poisoned etc and details relationships in the Kremlin and which other Oligarchs fell foul of Putin and why . When the Salisbury poisonings of the Russian defector, Sergei and his daughter Yulia SKRIPAL occurred , this was only one attempt of 15 alleged committed murders on British soil by the Russians which were known by the Government but were swept under the carpet because of more positive relations with Russia for many years and the Oligarchs money flowing into the U.K. and their subsequent investments and financial support of our Goverment . Truly an excellent perspective.

I haven’t read the book (I should), but there is some time issue with it. Berezovsky was active in Yeltsin’s time - got money from Logovaz, and found the “back door” to Yeltsin’s environment, through his family. Berezovsky was universally hated in Russia, called “the devil”. Partially in had to do with anti-ssmitism (BB was, ironically, half-Russian and Russian Orthodox, but looked Jewish), but mostly, because BB was too obviously, loudly, unpleasant. Abramovich, seemingly, is much more social and possibly, pragmatic. The transition from BB to Abramovich coincided with transition from Yeltsin to Putin, it seems, as BB’s main support was “the family” (Yeltsin’s daughters and their husbands).

Russia invades Ukraine: LIVE UPDATES

Snippets from the live update

Fast Facts
Russia announced Saturday that Vladimir Putin's army have been "given orders today to develop the offensive along all axes in line with the operation plan," with its main objective being the capture of Ukraine's capital of Kyiv, according to reports.

Brigadier General Blaine Holt says a cyberattack is ongoing against the Kremlin

Brigadier General Blaine Holt said a cyberattack is ongoing against the Kremlin, according to two unnamed sources.

Holt said that the attack is ongoing as the Russian invasion of Ukraine is ongoing, and in its third day

Ukraine crisis: Kremlin blocking Russians' access to Twitter amid protests, criticism: researcher

The Kremlin is reportedly blocking Russians' access to Twitter as people protest and voice criticism over its invasion of Ukraine.

Chelsea FC's oligarch owner hands off 'stewardship,' may look to sell ahead of sanctions

Russian conscripts reportedly forced to sign military contracts, losing contact with family

Parents of Russian conscripts who say they've lost communications with their loved ones are pleading with Kremlin officials for answers as to where family members have been sent amid concerns they have been forced to sign contracts to fight as part of President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, according to the report.

Air raid sirens, explosions heard in Kyiv after curfew on third night of invasion
Video at link

BBM:
They need the West's purchasing power. The way things are seems to suit them. Thanks to the way things have been moving in the past 20+ years they are building up China as a superpower. They don't need economic crises in the West that impacts on us buying Chinese-made goods.

I see them as being the way Russia should be...living with us and looking for mutual benefit, but not being quite like us. China doesn't want to be ruled by the West any more than Russia does, and the West doesn't want to be ruled by either Russia or China (or their ways of doing things). If you an work out a mutually beneficial detente, instead of just a detente between wars, that seems to be the path that China chooses with almost all nations on Earth, even some of the nastiest ones. But they also want their own way with certain things, like Taiwan and the South China Seas. I see China as a pain in the butt more than a massive threat to us, and they're also very useful as they have helped keep inflationary pressures down in the West by using their cheap labour and industrial processes to send us cheap items that would cost so much more if we were making them in our countries and which would mean our inflation would be harder for our central banks to control. My views on this probably don't match to many other people's views though!

Yes, excellent point.

Cryptocurrency donations pour in after Ukraine puts out call on Twitter
Snippets

Ukraine's government received more than $4 million in cryptocurrency on Saturday shortly after it began directly soliciting funds on social media, according to its accounts' public transactions.

Ukraine's official Twitter account, as well as its minister for digital transformation, tweeted Crypto wallet addresses where people can donate their bitcoin, ethereum and tether, a cryptocurrency whose value is tied to the U.S. dollar.

Within a few hours, those addresses had received more than $761,949 of bitcoin and more than $3.4 million worth of ethereum, the account showed.

Germany hold a out on SWIFT...
In a major shift, Germany announced it would join the list of countriessending military assistance to Ukraine — and said it was considering a "targeted" approach to disconnecting Russia from the SWIFT banking system

Texas governor asks businesses to voluntarily stop selling Russian-made products

1h ago / 3:18 PM EST
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted Saturday afternoon that he has asked businesses in the state to "voluntarily remove" all Russian products from their offerings.

Zelenskyy asks U.N. Secretary General to strip Russia of Security Council vote

2h ago / 2:39 PM EST
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said in a tweet Saturday he asked United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres during a call to strip Russia of its vote on the Security Council.

All they need is someone less crazy than Putin. And wants to take the power for himself. Putin keeps friends close, and enemies closer. No doubt, within the "Circle of Power" there is someone who would be happy to take Putin down. Just needs an incentive. And an opportunity. We can only hope.

The oligarchs are, essentially, from the same system. I think within his “Circle of Power”, people have, and are, accruing money, either way; if something happens, they have places to escape and money to leave on. Historically, changes in Russia happened from the “downs”, or “have nots”. However, I am concerned that there is no systematic information from Ukraine. (Either way, it is very scary).

Michael A. Horowitz (@michaelh992) Tweeted:
#Ukraine Ministry of Interior asks people to turn off geolocation on their cell phones - they say #Russia is beginning to track gatherings of people https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1497668093996421127?s=20&t=sP1ynRY6-wElH42ge1sCvw
Facebook also issued instructions a couple days ago, how to lock down individual profiles for personal safety.

Eta/ quick reference:

Facebook, Twitter highlight security steps for users in Ukraine

Slightly concerned about how many types of nuclear weapons Russia has… and that the U.K. government have just issued a fact sheet.

View attachment 334859

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t/uk-nuclear-deterrence-what-you-need-to-know
The UK's nuclear deterrent: what you need to know

I’m concerned about that too. We have a mentally unstable man who happens to be a sociopath sitting on nuclear weapons. This man shouldn’t be allowed to handle kitchen knife with his mental state, yet he has weapons which can wipe out entire cities.

Russia invades Ukraine: LIVE UPDATES

Snippets from the live update

Fast Facts
Russia announced Saturday that Vladimir Putin's army have been "given orders today to develop the offensive along all axes in line with the operation plan," with its main objective being the capture of Ukraine's capital of Kyiv, according to reports.

Brigadier General Blaine Holt says a cyberattack is ongoing against the Kremlin

Brigadier General Blaine Holt said a cyberattack is ongoing against the Kremlin, according to two unnamed sources.

Holt said that the attack is ongoing as the Russian invasion of Ukraine is ongoing, and in its third day

Ukraine crisis: Kremlin blocking Russians' access to Twitter amid protests, criticism: researcher

The Kremlin is reportedly blocking Russians' access to Twitter as people protest and voice criticism over its invasion of Ukraine.

Chelsea FC's oligarch owner hands off 'stewardship,' may look to sell ahead of sanctions

Russian conscripts reportedly forced to sign military contracts, losing contact with family

Parents of Russian conscripts who say they've lost communications with their loved ones are pleading with Kremlin officials for answers as to where family members have been sent amid concerns they have been forced to sign contracts to fight as part of President Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine, according to the report.

Air raid sirens, explosions heard in Kyiv after curfew on third night of invasion
Video at link

All in all, this should be an unpopular invasion among Russians. I watched street polls in Russia - some old people were in favor, but younger ones, not. What with Russian language pet peeves of Ukrainians, still, similar ethnicities, the same history, religion, food, traditions. It is unbelievably hard to process. I, of course, jinxed it - always used to say how happy I was that the Soviet Union expired overnight, “unlike Yugoslavia”. Now I am having strange deja vu.

People in Kiev are urged to seek refuge immediately.

According to the authorities, heavy airstrikes are expected soon, reports Kyiv Independent.”

Liverapportering: Ryska invasionen i Ukraina

I’m scared to wake up tomorrow and read news. Long live Ukraine.

The Kyiv Independent is worth following on Twitter. I asked if we can use their reports here on WS. It's getting extremely frightening right now and they're up to the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member