Russia - Dyatlov Pass Incident: Mysterious Deaths of 9 Skiers, Feb 1959

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Discovery Channel just aired a show called Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives. It's all about the Dyatlov Pass incident and has lots of photos of the bodies after they were recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good accounting of this enticing mystery, from Fortean Times:

The Dyatlov Pass Incident
February 1959, Ural Mountains, Russia. Nine missing skiers found dead. Cause: Unknown

Unfortunately when I click on the link for the story at Fortean Times it just brings me to a subscription page.
Yikes. Me too now. Odd. Shall investigate further.

OK, so far no good -- that sucketh; seems to have barred the windows overnight. Wish now I'd've c/p'd the whole article.

Very interesting case from what I've read.

Something I found searching on the high levels of radiation in their bodies. High levels can weaken bones. Also, being at a high altitude can cause a dry hacking cough which can lead to fractured ribs. This does not explain the skull fracture unless there is some evidence that being at the altitude they where at could cause some sort of decompression leading to stress fractures. I highly find it odd that there was no evidence of trauma to the outside of their bodies and makes me wonder if led to delirium and some sort of inner trauma from the altitude, cold, and even the radiation exposure combined.

What happens after someone has a lumbar puncture? They can get a really bad headache. It's caused from some sort of decompression in the CNS.

So if a person can spontaneously combust then why, under the right circumstances like altitude/weather/chemical exposure, would it not be possible for a person to spontaneously decompress causing their bones to fracture and even causing the skull to cave in.

edit- like a diver gets going too deep and suffering lack of oxygen.

BTW, it's quite possible that what ever their jobs as scientists where they could have been exposed to the radiation prior to going up that mountain and thus where suffering health issues at the time.

http://themoscownews.com/russia/20130218/191249774.html
Very good article with lots of information.
Also there's this movie called "Devil's Pass " about some filmmakers going to the site to try and find out what happened. It's fictional but I enjoyed it. :)
IMO the nuclear testing theory is the best explanation so far. But I was hoping it were aliens.[emoji89]

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

I finished Dead Mountain and, to me, the author has pretty much nailed it with an ex plantation that could only really have been arrived at in the past decade, given what is now known about infrasound and the double vortex.

It's very difficult to even consider another explanation as they can all be pretty easily discounted (as the author does).

That's one more mystery which has been solved - for me - by reading a non-fiction book, although this wasn't a true crime one.
I read Dead Mountain a couple of weeks ago, and I think the author's theory is the strongest one to date. I doubt the mystery will ever be solved beyond all doubt.

Thanks to Wfgodot for pointing me here to this thread.

I had just seen a TV special about this case on I think Discovery channel. It was very well done and I enjoyed the show. It had mostly a Yeti theme to the show but they didnt try to force anyones opinions too much.

I think a combination of them seeing a Yeti but actually dying from maybe a nuclear test explosion and some dying from exposure is maybe what could explain why it is so mysterious. They supposedly found 1 picture of the Yeti standing in the woods and that picture was amazing. If it was real picture of course.

The documentary show found the guy with the original negatives and the picture of the Yeti was on the original negative supposedly.

But the reason for them dying may have been something else too so maybe they saw a Yeti but maybe died from a nuclear test.

The show did talk about the military sending up some sort of test rockets in that area at the time and they showed evidence where the military found the bodies before the real search party.

Its a very intriuging case and I enjoyed the show.

Thanks for all who started this thread and thanks to Wfgodot for pointing me here from another thread.

Once in awhile I still run into new theories about this old case. I think KarIK already explained it pretty well. The group panicked and made the wrong decision to head for the nearby woods to find shelter and start a fire to warmup. This is of course in hindsight because what would you do if you were (half)asleep and suddenly had to rush out the tent. Then you are standing outside in the freezing cold half dressed and obviously you can't keep standing there so you have to make a quick decision.

It could be that the reason of the panic was fear of an avalanche, but there are some things that point to smoke such as an attempt to cut into the roof of the tent and some burning marks on some of them. Also the footprints don't show them running away. I also read a theory about craziness because of infrasound or something. Never heard of that in any other case and it seems rather strange that they suffered from that all at the same time. Also their survival attempts after leaving the tent don't show them as crazy. Either way, whatever the reason, the main point is that there was a panic which caused them to make the poor decision to leave the tent.

The footsteps show that they gathered quickly and headed for the woods as a team. Somehow they managed to make a fire, but the branches removed up to 15 feet from the tree showed how desperate they were. Then some went a bit further. I believe they had the most clothes on, and unfortunately fell into a ravine. Two died by the fire and had even removed their last clothes probably because of hypothermia. Three tried to make it back to the tent and all died on the way. One of them had head injuries possibly from a fall from that tree.

The injuries from the ones who died in the ravine are explained by the fall, and the missing tongue and eyes by decomposition and exposure to water. Radiation was only found on clothes from 2 people who worked with radiation in their jobs...go figure. The group made a few mistakes, but who knows if they had survived with all their clothes. It is scary to see how quickly one can freeze to death as it took merely hours.. All JMO ofcourse :)

I think this video is pretty good although I believe none were intoxicated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RigxxiilI

Yeah.

Escaping the tent because there was a fire and/or smoke is the only theory that ever made sense to me.

‘Russian police have reopened a 60-year-old investigation into the mysterious deaths of nine students on a cross-country ski trip, in a case which has baffled authorities and sparked conspiracy theories for decades.

Known as the Dyatlov Pass Incident, the mystery includes a sliced open tent, bodies dressed in underwear in the snow, traces of radiation and a victim missing a tongue.

The deaths have been blamed on everything from avalanches to UFOs, but the Russian prosecutor general's office now hopes to put any far-flung theories to rest.

In an announcement last week, marking the anniversary of the deaths, the official representative of Russia's prosecutor Alexander Kurennoi said it was not a criminal investigation. He acknowledged it was a baffling mystery.

"All of [the deaths] are somehow connected with natural phenomena," he said.’

Dyatlov Pass cold case reopened by Russian police, who say nine skiers died of 'natural phenomena' - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Fractured skulls, a missing tongue, traces of radiation: Russia investigates skiers' 1959 deaths
Photo: Investigators hope to finally lay the mystery to rest. (Wikimedia Commons: Dmitry Nikishin)

"Russian police have reopened a 60-year-old investigation into the mysterious deaths of nine students on a cross-country ski trip, in a case which has baffled authorities and sparked conspiracy theories for decades."

A modern investigation
Prosecutors will now approach the case with forensic techniques not available to investigators at the time, Mr Kuryakov said.

"There is information about radiation on the clothes of tourists in the materials of the case, but we will appoint a second special examination," he said.

"We will check everything on modern technology.

"Concerning exhumation, we will order a medical examination if necessary."

According to a report from Russian newspaper Gazeta, the investigation will see a team return to the site in March to recreate the scene of the deaths."

Fractured skulls, a missing tongue, traces of radiation: Russia investigates skiers' 1959 deaths
Photo: Investigators hope to finally lay the mystery to rest. (Wikimedia Commons: Dmitry Nikishin)

"Russian police have reopened a 60-year-old investigation into the mysterious deaths of nine students on a cross-country ski trip, in a case which has baffled authorities and sparked conspiracy theories for decades."

A modern investigation
Prosecutors will now approach the case with forensic techniques not available to investigators at the time, Mr Kuryakov said.

"There is information about radiation on the clothes of tourists in the materials of the case, but we will appoint a second special examination," he said.

"We will check everything on modern technology.

"Concerning exhumation, we will order a medical examination if necessary."

According to a report from Russian newspaper Gazeta, the investigation will see a team return to the site in March to recreate the scene of the deaths."

DNA resuts exclude kinship of the person laying in Zolotaryov’s grave with Zolotaryov’s niece

I don't think this case has something to do with "Russian Yeti" or other strange things (I've heard some say the aliens did that...)
Probably a local serial killer did it or maybe it's some secret black operation performed by KGB or GRU....Russians won't ever know the truth (neither are we...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back