Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from from The Daily Mail. Last two paragraphs or interesting referring to Michael and Samantha's home.

Superintendent Hatt suggested several people may well turn out to be suspects as the investigation progressed.

If they had a suspect now, he refused to say.

'We have a number of people we are speaking to,' he said.

'All I can say is our avenues are taking us down certain directions and we're following everything.'

Who was home at the time Ms Murphy embarked on her run remains unanswered, but Superintendent Hatt suggested they know the answer and where they went that day.

'There's a lot of movements to and from the house during the day and again we're very, very confident we have tracked all of those movements and we are following up on everything,' he said.
Tomorrow night Channel 9 under investigation that this appearance of Samantha is on.

If I saw Bigfoot without his top off I'd be travelling a lot further than seven minutes away to set up camp!

MOO
Same..... I think I have read and watched too many crime stories not to have a suspicious outlook.
I am an avid bushwalker/hiker but always with a group and always with my loyal dog at my side. I wouldn't do it any other way. I am amazed at the amount of women that we encounter out walking on their own with headsets on, oblivious to what is going on around them. So very. very sad that we don't live in a perfect world that is growing increasingly more and more dangerous every day.
Stay safe everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Same..... I think I have read and watched too many crime stories not to have a suspicious outlook.
I am an avid bushwalker/hiker but always with a group and always with my loyal dog at my side. I wouldn't do it any other way. I am amazed at the amount of women that we encounter out walking on their own with headsets on, oblivious to what is going on around them. So very. very sad that we don't live in a perfect world that is growing increasingly more and more dangerous every day.
Stay safe everyone *advertiser censored*
I love being out in the bush! I have walked, jogged and camped in quite remote areas, as well as on the fringes of populated areas, often on my own or with my dog. I am always wary of those around, and would never wear headphone or earpods, you need all your senses all of the time .... yes I have also watched too much true crime!

I think Victorian police are right onto this, couple of points that is mentioned Michael lost his smartwatch and it pinned in the same area where Samantha phone pinged
The same day she disappeared.
Then there's Victorian Police saying that there was a lot of movement on that day that morning at the home.
Conclusion I don't think Samantha had any enemies
I posted a quote from News.com.au a couple of days ago about the couple who claimed to have seen Samantha running while they were camping in the area. The couple's names were Rebecca and Michael. It was Michael the Camper who lost his Apple Watch, NOT Samantha's husband Michael.
I hope this clears up the confusion!
Link to the article:

As I said, I respectfully disagree. I don't accept that it is unequivocally "not healthy humour, it is disparaging and humiliating." I do accept it may not be everyone's cup of tea or deemed as unhealthy by some. For others, it's viewed as sign of healthy banter out in the open in an equal partnership. Yes, Australia is a big country and humour varies from place to place. And thankfully there is a place for differing opinions.

Do any experienced sleuthers have a hunch Re how quickly or drawn out this investigation is likely to be? As in days, weeks, months, years? I know it’s a tough question but just wondered if anyone has any inklings at this stage Re how close or distant an outcome may be?

Please correct me if my info is wrong - i read the dailymail article re :the hikers and have questions. I noted a map was kindly posted with SMs run and the search area noted with the cross streets. Has it been noted on any map where SM bumped into the hikers? Or where the hikers 3 camp spots were?

There doesn’t seem to be a campsite. People camp parked on the side of the road ? Is there many homeless people that live in this park?

The hikers said that they heard noises through the night but hikerM doesn’t say when he lost his watch. Could it have been stolen and that’s why it ended up far away?

if I saw a man following me around the woods with his crotch ripped out of his pants acting sketchy, I would be driving way way more than 5km down the road. I would be getting the heck out that park and calling the police.

Above is all IMO MOO

Do any experienced sleuthers have a hunch Re how quickly or drawn out this investigation is likely to be? As in days, weeks, months, years? I know it’s a tough question but just wondered if anyone has any inklings at this stage Re how close or distant an outcome may be?

JMO
The investigators will hold off making any arrests until all their ducks are in a row. The preference would be to lay charges after an arrest. They will be asking themselves, "would this evidence stack up in a court of law?".

That being said, they also wouldn't want their prime suspect committing any further crimes either. They may arrest someone and charge them on a lesser crime potentially.

How long?....it may be quite a while or it may be tomorrow....

I feel for you. I had post covid syndrome (like long covid but thankfully doesn’t go for longer than 3 months).

Look it could be that. Although she apparently she said she was going to do a 14km run. I would have expected her to say she was still recovering so was going to walk.

I would not have attempted a 14km walk or run by myself in mostly bush if I wasn’t fully recovered but I’m not her.

As other posters said 14km is oddly specific and her phone turning off at arguably the half way point is another slightly odd factor.

Of course these could be individual nuances.

“Superintendent Hatt claimed the 7km run to where her phone went dead took the experienced runner more than an hour - about half-an-hour longer than it should have.”

The fact Hatt comments on her taking longer than expected makes me wonder if this is a comment directed to the suspect/s?

Hatt says she took “more than an hour”. So I assume less than an hour and half or he would have said that. So I will assume it’s around 75 minutes to do 7km.

Even if she was recovering from covid and doing a walk run combo she shouldn’t have taken that long.

That’s 11 minutes splits on
average. If she was doing a walk/run it would be faster than that, maybe 8 minute splits.

IMO this is not consistent with an experienced runner running the whole way or even doing a run/walk combo the whole way.

This is more consistent with someone walking at a brisk pace the whole way. Or a non runner walking fast in between a slow jog.

I personally think this comment from Hatt is significant.

What has actually happened here?

She’s either run at her normal pace and then stopped for a decent amount of time? Why? To talk to someone?

Did she actually meet someone when she entered the forest and slowed her pace to match theirs? If so you would expect someone saw her with someone else.

Did something happened to her soon after she entered the forest and the offender then walked that remaining distance before turning the phone off? And it just happened to be at the 7km mark.

Or did someone who wasn’t a runner take her phone/watch to make it appear she went for a run or make it appear that she got further away from home then she actually did?

If so this would suggest someone who was familiar with her routes. JMO.
You make some very interesting points Awakening. Lots of food for thought.

IMO Samantha may have met up with someone (as planned), and walked whilst having a discussion - no longer focussing on the run - hence the slower than expected time for the run. If so, IMO this person may have been a regular running buddy.

It is very interesting that Hatt has made such a specific comment regarding the run time taking significantly longer up to that point, than would normally be anticipated. Given police's reluctance to provide much information at all, lest it compromise the investigation, IMO it is highly likely that it IS intended as a message to the perpetrator, in effect applying pressure - "just letting you know we're on to you" - and I think they are. JMO

JMO
The investigators will hold off making any arrests until all their ducks are in a row. The preference would be to lay charges after an arrest. They will be asking themselves, "would this evidence stack up in a court of law?".

That being said, they also wouldn't want their prime suspect committing any further crimes either. They may arrest someone and charge them on a lesser crime potentially.

At what point is a case deemed "cold"?

JMO

So in a court of law it would be necessary to link a certain party or parties to the disappearance, and exclude any other plausible competing parties who may be considered to have motive and whose movements at the time cannot be corroborated? Is this the gist?

So in a court of law it would be necessary to link a certain party or parties to the disappearance, and exclude any other plausible competing parties who may be considered to have motive and whose movements at the time cannot be corroborated? Is this the gist?

I am no expert but I'd say that's definitely the gist.

Thank you. I can see why it’s very complex then, and difficult to predict a timeframe. Police probably have to consider every possible scenario that could be used to challenge the evidence they have then, at every stage. I wonder how such an extensive investigative process is organised. It must be an engineering feat in itself to set out and cross check every possibility. Especially as new info emerges or in the event of contradictory or ambiguous info.

JMO

100 % agree.

What a busy life Samantha was leading! Out to dinner the night before, heading off for a run at 7am, a meeting at 10am, a brunch at 11am, and now the idea of meeting someone while out running! Let alone the actual running. Far too energetic for me! It does strike me as just a teensy bit odd for someone still recovering from Covid to be planning/doing all that. And if she was capable of doing all that, then I don't think we need to factor in Covid in surmising her running speed, she seems to have made a good recovery. I should think that between 7 and 8 am her speed was pretty much her normal speed. Which means she should definitely have arrived at the halfway point before she apparently did. So does the slower time mean that she stopped to speak to someone? Or was it her phone that arrived at the halfway point but not her?

Its fine in layed back Aussie blue collar businesses. I've never heard of it used in a negative way that people could take offence to. Ok, might not be totally politically correct, but Aussies love a good joke at ourselves. Just Aussies being Aussies.
I've definitely encountered it as negative...in reference to an adult who lacks maturity....I don't find it funny and I am not a member of the PC Police...if I said it about someone "keeping them in line"etc...I wouldn't be saying it in a complimentary manner....and I am very laid back...it's a "tongue in cheek" insult and reference to their immaturity and irresponsible, childish behaviour...imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214