Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does it work the police bugging someone's phone? Can they just do it to anyone? or do you have to have some sort of legal clearance like a warrant?
Police need to have a warrant signed off by a Judge … they need to provide enough evidence to the Judge as to why they want that phone bugged….

Police need to have a warrant signed off by a Judge … they need to provide enough evidence to the Judge as to why they want that phone bugged….
Sorry to keep asking qs but if police want to bug person x who is poi and judge agrees sufficient evidence, how do the police get person x's phone number without giving the game away ... do the telcos provide it?

I can’t even tell from this map exactly where they are looking. Like what roads?

There seems to be three main areas of circling in the heaviest area (not the two wide circles further out).

The left circles might be looking at the Yarrowee River? And it looks like there is a light industrial area along there too.

The centre of the three circles, and where they all overlap, seems to be Golden Point area.
That centre circle does one lap over Mt Clear also.

I think the right circles might be going over the route we think Sam ran.

That's my wild guesses, anyway. And the only way I can find to describe what I think I see.

imo

Google maps

b1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to keep asking qs but if police want to bug person x who is poi and judge agrees sufficient evidence, how do the police get person x's phone number without giving the game away ... do the telcos provide it?
With todays example of the Police looking at the “ping data” they would already know the number … Police also have huge data bases they can search…
The police have Covert Operations Teams that enter a persons property and place bugs in their houses, cars, and phones…. Etc … it’s all very secretive …

Warrants​

A law enforcement officer may apply to an authorised judge or magistrate for the issue of a surveillance device warrant which may record private conversations or activities. A warrant can only be obtained if the officer has reason to suspect or believe that:

• An offence is being, is about to be, has been, or is likely to be committed; and
  • The use of a surveillance device is necessary in the investigation and collection of evidence of that crime.
The issue of warrants is overseen by the Public Interest Monitor. If granted, the warrant with authorise the use of a specific type of device on specified premises. It may allow entry by force, if necessary, to install and to later retrieve the device.

IMO

Peeps do that as we know. And they might go back and hide a body in a place that's already been searched? Just a thought
Given how difficult it can be to find a missing person (who was then found not very far away from where last seen), I doubt (very much so) that a perp would go back to an already searched area to hide a body. IMO. Anything is possible.

So how does it work the police bugging someone's phone? Can they just do it to anyone? or do you have to have some sort of legal clearance like a warrant?
JMO - due to privacy provisions, investigators would require authorisation.

"Phone Twist In Search For Missing Mum Samantha Murphy:

Police To Try A New Tactic In Search.

Despite a massive search involving police, SES and numerous volunteers,
no trace of the 51-year-old has been found.

Police are to try a new tactic in the search for missing mother-of-three Samantha Murphy.

Detectives are now ready to trace mobile data from the Ballarat area,
with particular interest in phones ‘pinging’ from towers covering the area they believe Ms Murphy was in hours after her flight.

The phone records may help investigators identify people of interest and provide new leads as the search for Ms. Murphy continues for 30 days."

so somebodys likely sweating right now!!!

I have been googling how long it takes to get authorisation for a tower dump, but am not coming up with any answers.

Other than the police (or whatever agency) must have a "reasonably necessary" case for wanting all of that metadata. And that reasonably necessary reason has to appear reasonably necessary to whoever signs off on the request.

I imagine a defence lawyer (should this case go to court) might try to get metadata evidence thrown out if they can show a judge that it wasn't reasonably necessary to request the metadata.

imo
Exactly.
Wish I was a police detective ..

I would have had the husband and or any very close relative with access to her movements volunteered over access to their ;

Phone

Fingernails

Clothing

Jewellery

Car

…as soon as she went missing..like in the first few hours.

Just in case.

Assume the worst hope for the best.

This could have been done in the guise “to eliminate him/her” asap.

Their reaction to this request would also give a good indication of their involvement.

However it looks like a professional hit.

So I think it may be down to the phone comms between those involved.

I don’t care how “quiet” you are…

The lack of public press interviews /requests for information by the husband speaks volumes
BBM: How?

People of missing person's usually don't just organise their own press interviews IMO, they are usually done with police ( & I'd imagine are told what they can & can not say also by the investigators)

The police have said the husband / family have been absolutely fantastic in co-operating with police. He could have handed everything over to police, we just don't know, give access to whatever they want etc

Detective Acting Inspector Mark Hatt told reporters Ms Murphy's husband was not a suspect and the family had been "absolutely fantastic" in cooperating with police.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I'm sure Vic Police have been doing a hell of alot behind the scenes....this isn't their first rodeo IMO. They said they talk to the family everyday in one of the pressers if I re-call...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only seen brief references to an AVO, which seemed to imply that Samantha and Mick took out an AVO against another party. I'm still trying to locate that one. If anyone has a link to other AVO information could you please provide. TIA
i think it was in the herald sun, they said it was rumoured but then they pulled the article, it may be what charlie bezzina was alluding to with his weird comment about possible involvement with a family member of sorts?

"Detectives are now ready to trace mobile data from the Ballarat area,
with particular interest in phones ‘pinging’ from towers covering the area they believe Ms Murphy was in hours after her flight".

Does that mean - they have data from her watch?? - suggesting movement hours after she left Mt Clear heading towards the Ballarat area? (is that more general Ballarat - away from bushland?) JMO

"Detectives will now trawl through mobile data from the Ballarat area, with particular interest in phones that 'pinged' from towers covering the zone they believe Ms Murphy was in hours after her run".

So this is a bit different wording - data from other peoples phones that pinged in the zone hours after SM's run. IMO

"Detectives are now ready to trace mobile data from the Ballarat area,
with particular interest in phones ‘pinging’ from towers covering the area they believe Ms Murphy was in hours after her flight".

Does that mean - they have data from her watch?? - suggesting movement hours after she left Mt Clear heading towards the Ballarat area? (is that more general Ballarat - away from bushland?) JMO
Her flight?! Gee my friend had a dream after Sam went missing (we both follow the case her having grown up in Mt Clear and me in another searched suburb) that I changed identity and flew overseas. It couldn't be a real possibility, or could it?! Strange wording ..

And they make a song and dance about the "new tactic" ...
After reading post below re laws, hoping it is a new tactic (flushing out process)
I would hope it wouldn’t take a month to apply for a warrant with reasonable grounds and it be granted

Last edited:
Her flight?! Gee my friend had a dream after Sam went missing (we both follow the case her having grown up in Mt Clear and me in another searched suburb) that I changed identity and flew overseas. It couldn't be a real possibility, or could it?! Strange wording ..

It is a New York MSM source that is saying "her flight".

Ms Murphy had been due to catch-up with friends for brunch at 11am on the day she went missing.

Daily Mail, 4th March. For what it's worth, still saying the brunch was with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper