Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be that family called it early because they had good reason to be worried about her safety . Previous threats of violence etc etc

But interesting, why would you 'supposedly' search the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away

And not close to home if you were worried ?

And why would Sam want to go jogging that far, especially when she had something on mid-morning

She mentioned she would be doing 14 km run in the morning before it got too hot ( the turn around at 7km )

So why would she do a run 20-30 km away in the heat and having something else planned

I’m curious about this too.

Looking at Crimestoppers website, it seems staff there sort tips out and then refer to the police.

I’m assuming they don’t forward tips like; psychic visions, dreams, general theories?

So I would assume the 500 tips is the whittled down version?

Not sure if Crimestoppers or the police even respond to tipsters unless they want further info?

If you report something to Crime Stoppers and it is a current case, you would probably head it up as Samantha Murphy. That would go directly to the head of investigation. Crime Stoppers don't filter out anything. They are all volunteers and can't make those calls.

Yes that is true of lots of people , but the question is - would the police go looking after just a few hours ?
I think they would. The first 24 hours are the most important. Here on the Gold Coast PolAir are overhead within moments of a missing person report. According to a missing person podcast I listened to today, there has never been 'wait 24 hours before reporting' rule in Australia. I believe police get straight on to missing persons cases, especially these days. You can't wait, especially if elderly, ill or suspicious.

But interesting, why would you 'supposedly' search the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away

And why would Sam want to go jogging that far, especially when she had something on mid-morning

She mentioned she would be doing 14 km run in the morning before it got too hot ( the turn around at 7km )

So why would she do a run 20-30 km away in the heat and having something else planned
Could you provide a link indicating that family/friends searched “the other side of Buninyong?” I haven’t heard this confirmed by any official sources.

I would imagine they did search close to home.

Yes, it does not make sense to me she did this either.

There must be some reason unbeknown to us that it was said that MM had searched down there at Buninyong.

Could you provide a link indicating that family/friends searched “the other side of Buninyong?” I haven’t heard this confirmed by any official sources.

I would imagine they did search close to home.

Allan and Janice Robson, told Daily Mail Australia Mr Murphy made the call to police himself two hours after she failed to return home at 9am on February 4.

'She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

'She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

20-30km from Sam's home would take you so far beyond Buninyong . . . you probably wouldn't mention Buninyong at all. Maybe the uncle meant the area was 20-30km from where he was speaking.

View attachment 487437View attachment 487437It’s easy, just hold down the long side button (circled) until the power off and emergency SOS prompt appears.

Haha, thanks but for me it’s not easy. Especially when they do an upgrade and change things around.

I mean I’m sure I could figure it out but because mine lasts the whole time I’m awake I don’t have to turn it off. I put it in sleep mode and put it on charge.

For a while I thought the only button was the dial one. I had to put my reading glasses on to see them.

A feature I regularly use is the find my phone. You press something and your phone starts making a ding ding sound.

But then they did an upgrade and it’s much harder for me to find.

I’m not completely hopeless. I use my iPhone and computer a lot more and have no such issues. I find them more intuitive.

It just made me wonder if the person who first had her watch was an older person say over 40 and perhaps unfamiliar with watches.

Especially if you were in a panic and then having to fumble with an unfamiliar watch whilst presumably having to deal with an unconscious person (or worse) and get out quickly before you were spotted.

20-30km from Sam's home would take you so far beyond Buninyong . . . you probably wouldn't mention Buninyong at all. Maybe the uncle meant the area was 20-30km from where he was speaking.
Some timelines from these relations seem to be in contradiction to what was initially reported. Not a word from any family since. I think they have been asked by police not to talk. MOO

If you report something to Crime Stoppers and it is a current case, you would probably head it up as Samantha Murphy. That would go directly to the head of investigation. Crime Stoppers don't filter out anything. They are all volunteers and can't make those calls.

Thank you.

Do you know if Crimestoppers or police call or follow up with the tipster?

Haha, thanks but for me it’s not easy. Especially when they do an upgrade and change things around.

I mean I’m sure I could figure it out but because mine lasts the whole time I’m awake I don’t have to turn it off. I put it in sleep mode and put it on charge.

For a while I thought the only button was the dial one. I had to put my reading glasses on to see them.

A feature I regularly use is the find my phone. You press something and your phone starts making a ding ding sound.

But then they did an upgrade and it’s much harder for me to find.

I’m not completely hopeless. I use my iPhone and computer a lot more and have no such issues. I find them more intuitive.

It just made me wonder if the person who first had her watch was an older person say over 40 and perhaps unfamiliar with watches.

Especially if you were in a panic and then having to fumble with an unfamiliar watch whilst presumably having to deal with an unconscious person (or worse) and get out quickly before you were spotted.
Absolutely agree, I never actually turn mine on or off either, just stick it on charge when needed.

I think, if the perpetrator also had an Apple Watch they would know how to turn it off, but if they were unfamiliar with smart watches they probably would take some time to figure it out….might just try smashing it instead.
If Sam had her phone and was not incapacitated in some way, I think it would be possible for her to quickly use the SOS function.

So there are several Apple devices that could be missing from Sam:
Her phone, her watch, her AirPods and possibly the AirPod case.

Some timelines from these relations seem to be in contradiction to what was initially reported. Not a word from any family since. I think they have been asked by police not to talk. MOO
Yes they were told not to talk.by the police investigators.

Ironically the uncle then talked further to the media to tell them he has been told not to talk anymore. There was an article about this.

Last edited:
'She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

I think the "they" could be the police, not Mick.

We know that the police went to the area of Buninyong in their first searches.

Mick might have had no idea where Sam intended to run that morning. And only knew where she sometimes ran by the things she said after the runs. imo

Victoria Police had focused the search on Woowookarung Regional Park and bushland near the Buninyong Golf Course yesterday ...

Thank you.

Do you know if Crimestoppers or police call or follow up with the tipster?

I have reported to Crime Stoppers. No follow up with me. I was given a report number so I could follow up with them, if I had more info to add.

My report was not anonymous, but there was also the option to report anonymously if I wanted to use that option.

The report (online) allows you to give - or not - a phone number or email address so that the police can contact you if they want more information.

They have been now
Talking could jeopardise the investigation
It could become dangerous, if they start mentioning names etc
And this could be linked up with people they know

I am reading a book at the moment where the detective tracked down a phone number (via a warrant to Telstra) to find out who called in an anonymous tip. Because the tip was so important in finding two perpetrators of a murder.

(They found the tipster and got more info - the book is Shattered Lives by NSW Det Peter Seymour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms