Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how time consuming it was with 500 tips.

If they had to call back every single tip or acknowledge it in some way.

I guess:

Psychic vision: ignore

Car with damage: ring tipster to get more info; time, place, plate number

Suspicious persons: ring tipster if their report matches current poi’s.
If you go through Crime Stoppers online, the form helps you complete as much as possible eg when. where, who, time etc. This helps get as much info as possible, so police usually don't have to phone back. These tips can be really helpful with policing.

IMO...this is a well planned "disappearance" I don't believe it's random....we can look at what evidence we have (basic, controlled titbits by LE) and random "experts* I believe this is a well planned crime, and I believe the previous nights dinner and 10am appointment are significant IMO...I also believe Samantha has sadly passed (murder) 2 important considerations... Motive and Money...
@ChuckE
Curious, do you have any information of the previous night's dinner that is making you suspicious? Any information of her movements or any suspicions of anything else that happened on the day before that you can share? Any information at all that is connecting any event on the Saturday, to her disappearance on the Sunday?

I'm curious because the evening before her disappearance seems to come up regularly and i don't know why.

Last edited:
They sounds like

I think 'they' is Allan and Mick went out looking

'She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

It's all very odd
I think you meant the "they" was John Robson (Allan's brother and Sam's father) and Mick.

Allan is retelling what he was told by them.

Interesting...

It sounds like Sam's uncle Allan and MM went 'supposedly' looking for Sam

From Allen ..... She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

'She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

(Unusual location to search as Sam was only doing a 14km run early because of the heat, and she was going to brunch, and then the uncle says a meeting at 11 am, but someone had to know where Sam was and what path she took, as at 7km, turn around.
Is when something dreadful happened)

You would think that area should have been searched first by them, why would you be searching 20 - 30km away ?

But interesting the location where Sam's uncle Allen and MM looked in Buninyong, also happens to be where Samantha's last phone ping got picked up

Police will not confirm what time though

Interesting...

From Allen ..... She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

(Unusual location to search as Sam was only doing a 14km run early because of the heat, and she was going to brunch, and then the uncle says a meeting at 11 am, but someone had to know where Sam was and what path she took, as at 7km, turn around.

You would think that area should have been searched first by them, why would you be searching 20 - 30km away ?

But interesting the location where Sam's uncle Allen and MM looked in Buninyong, also happens to be where Samantha's last phone ping got picked up

At 100 kilometres per hour, 10 kilometres takes 6 minutes. ...10 minutes at 60 kilometres per hour.

10-20km past where they thought she'd be because they were worried about her.

They were searching that far probably wondering where she is. Seems fairly normal to me.

Why sensationalise the distance that Mick searched that morning? If it were my loved one I'd do exactly the same thing!

Last edited:
Interesting...

BBM

I wonder if MM has Sam's location - is it the find your friends app or something ? I just know it is possible to have an app and see others locations so maybe he has that?

It is a bit strange otherwise but surely the police know this information

I think you meant the "they" was John Robson (Allan's brother and Sam's father) and Mick.

Allan is retelling what he was told by them.
Ms Murphy's uncle and aunt, Allan and Janice Robson, told Daily Mail Australia Mr Murphy made the call to police himself two hours after she failed to return home at 9am on February 4.

'She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

Ms Murphy's uncle and aunt, Allan and Janice Robson, told Daily Mail Australia Mr Murphy made the call to police himself two hours after she failed to return home at 9am on February 4.

'She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

"
She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

Allan obtained the information directly from his brother John Robson, who he maintains regular contact with. "

Isn't it strange that Police declared Samantha's disappearance as "suspicious" only after a week of her missing?
My guess is that the Murphy family may have recently been experiencing some major issues related to the business, possibly including threats. It's possible that this had been drawn to the attention of police prior to Samantha disappearing.
Daughter Jess' words at the initial press conference seemed to allude to something major happening in the recent past - "She's far too determined to give up this fight."

There must have been specific evidence IMO for police to conclude that the disappearance was "suspicious" so early on.
IMO that would likely be related to digital data.

In the Under Investigation episode, "The Runner", former Australian Federal Police officer and professor of cybersecurity Nigel Phair commented on the disturbance of Samantha's digital data at the 7 km mark revealing "some form of sophistication".
"That means someone's done something active against those two devices and you have to know what you are doing to think I'm going to completely take these out,...
It's not just turning them off, it's destroying them and then getting rid of that piece of evidence.
Tampering with devices takes significant effort but Phair explained though criminals may attempt to change SIM cards, mobile phones, if on, are still traceable."

Hence IMO this digital anomaly would have been the trigger prompting Police to declare Samantha's disappearance "suspicious".

My guess is that the Murphy family may have recently been experiencing some major issues related to the business, possibly including threats. It's possible that this had been drawn to the attention of police prior to Samantha disappearing.
Daughter Jess' words at the initial press conference seemed to allude to something major happening in the recent past - "She's far too determined to give up this fight."

There must have been specific evidence IMO for police to conclude that the disappearance was "suspicious" so early on.
IMO that would likely be related to digital data.

In the Under Investigation episode, "The Runner", former Australian Federal Police officer and professor of cybersecurity Nigel Phair commented on the disturbance of Samantha's digital data at the 7 km mark revealing "some form of sophistication".
"That means someone's done something active against those two devices and you have to know what you are doing to think I'm going to completely take these out,...
It's not just turning them off, it's destroying them and then getting rid of that piece of evidence.
Tampering with devices takes significant effort but Phair explained though criminals may attempt to change SIM cards, mobile phones, if on, are still traceable."

Hence IMO this digital anomaly would have been the trigger prompting Police to declare Samantha's disappearance "suspicious".

I meant something else.

For me, her disappearance would be suspicious straight away.
Not after a week of it.

'I was able to find areas that were undisturbed to the tune of me being able to find things, and the person that was with me being able to find things, that certainly should have been handed over to the police,' he said.

Mr Cassar could not confirm what those items were so as to not interfere with the investigation but said there was a main item of interest and it confirmed that the area had not yet been fully searched.

I wonder what they found.
I know..... I wish we knew.

GoodMorning from sunny QLD. Some random thoughts from me on this Saturday morning:

• This is either a very well planned attack or a random attack/accident cover up where the perps so far are lucky to have got away with not leaving any evidence.
  • Destroying evidence - I imagine that if the devices had to be destroyed, they’d likely be put in water? Or placed into a bag and smashed with a hammer? Putting them into a bag would contain any glass / metal / etc.
  • Was the phone and watch left at the scene of the crime and then perps came back for it to destroy it a few hours later (crap, we have to go back and destroy her phone before anyone finds it). Or was it removed from the scene of the crime and destroyed near the final ping?
  • I keep going back to that first press conference and the way the daughter spoke. She spoke as if she suspected her mum had disappeared of her own accord “mum please come home soon, we miss you and we need you at home with us. Can’t wait to give you the biggest hug and tell you off for causing us so much stress.” It’s odd to me that these were her choice of words. Had Sam taken off in the past? Was there something going on at home that made Jess think her mum had just taken some time out? Why not say “if anyone knows anything about mum, please come forward…” or perhaps Jess was just so overcome with grief and she couldn’t fathom a scenario where her mum had been kidnapped, so ‘assuming’ her mum had taken off was the best scenario her brain could come up with.
  • At the same time, I still don’t suspect the husband.I have probably, in my head, made some stereotypical assumptions about MM, based on my own personal experiences and can relate to the “keeping him in line” statement on the business website. I’m hesitant to say much more as these are just personal assumptions.
Every day, I wake up hoping for news Sam has been found.
BBM - good point and I agree as it did flash through my mind it was a strange way to word it. Then I forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out

It was, but why would they think to first look in that area?

I expect it would have taken some time for the police to recover the ping data, so don't think this info could have been known to MM at that early stage.

There is an app available through MyTelstra, which allows a person to find their phone ... for Apple and android devices.
The app will drop a pin on a map to show where the phone is pinging.

Mick may not (or may) be savvy enough to use the app, but I would think that Jess or another teen child may be of an age to follow the Telstra instructions on how to use it. I think it is probable that their mobile phones are on a Telstra business account, so that the cost of their phones is tax deductible as a business expense.

Telstra are a big supporter of finding missing persons. They used to do a Call Home for Xmas for Free campaign for missing persons, though I believe that payphone use is now free for all calls to an Aussie number.
Australian Missing Persons Register - Thank you Telstra

It is also possible that the police and Telstra moved quickly - due to the very hot weather - to get the pings of a person missing in the bush (Sam).

imo

It was, but why would they think to first look in that area?

I expect it would have taken some time for the police to recover the ping data, so don't think this info could have been known to MM at that early stage.
I wonder, if MM was the one that went looking “in the Buninyong area which is 20-30km away”, whether he had access to her running maps.

I use an app called “map my run” and share my routes with my husband. You can also add other friends and even set up little ‘competitions’ on the app.

Perhaps he received the call that she hadnt shown up. He then looked up her running route, saw that her route was very odd and raised the alarm with the police and went searching himself.

There is an app available through MyTelstra, which allows a person to find their phone ... for Apple and android devices.
The app will drop a pin on a map to show where the phone is pinging.

Mick may not (or may) be savvy enough to use the app, but I would think that Jess or another teen child may be of an age to follow the Telstra instructions on how to use it. I think it is probable that their mobile phones are on a Telstra business account, so that the cost of their phones is tax deductible as a business expense.

Telstra are a big supporter of finding missing persons. They used to do a Call Home for Xmas for Free campaign for missing persons, though I believe that payphone use is now free for all calls to an Aussie number.
Australian Missing Persons Register - Thank you Telstra

It is also possible that the police and Telstra moved quickly - due to the very hot weather - to get the pings of a person missing in the bush (Sam).

imo
Yes I think there a good chance MM or one of the kids checked FindMy when SM didn’t return on time, and saw that SM was a long way off course. We use it all the time in our family, it’s pretty easy, and we also use Life360 which actually pings us when the kids are on the move, arrive home, etc.

If FindMy info showing SM welll beyond the likely jogging zone was provided to the police it would be one explanation for the quick police response time. And the immediate police search 20-30km away.

Also just to clarify my earlier post I think the timeline of MM reporting SM missing seems normal. She was due back around 8.30 or 9, reported at 11, I assume after MM and kids spent a few hours calling and looking. If those assumptions are correct it follows what I think I would do, or my family would do if it were me.

What I thought may be extraordinary is how quickly that report escalated into a full blown police search with helicopters. Something caught the police’s attention. Maybe the FindMy location (if MM had it). Maybe as someone suggested a few pages back, there was even a frantic call or message from SM to MM (or to someone else) saying “I think I’m being followed by [insert your theory], help!”. Maybe both. Maybe it was a suspicious observation by police or just instinct from a good police officer, just felt something was up.

Or maybe it’s normal response from police? Seems to be mixed views on it from the sleuthers depending on their theory as to what happened and who did it, so has been good to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Everything we know about the disappearance of Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy

Some extracts:

“One month, 29 days or 696 hours.
That’s how long Ballarat mother-of-three Samantha Murphy has been missing.”

“While it appears there are no standout suspects in Murphy’s disappearance, Hatt said police were looking into “a number of people” as a result of information they had received.
“All I can say is that our avenues are taking us down directions and we’re following everything,” he said.
Hatt said at this stage, Murphy’s husband Mick was not a suspect, but that everyone known to Murphy was a “person of interest”.”

“Former Victoria Police homicide detective Charlie Bezzina told 7NEWS.com.au the fact that police have said they believe one or more people were involved in Murphy’s disappearance suggests they do have suspects in mind.”

“The case may be further along if police had acted soon, Bezzina said.
“Evidence is so crucial,” he said.
“It’s the old (saying) about solving a crime within the first 24 hours.””

It is so sad Samantha has been missing for so long without a trace. I feel so sorry for the family not knowing what has happened. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member