Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Murphy's uncle and aunt, Allan and Janice Robson, told Daily Mail Australia Mr Murphy made the call to police himself two hours after she failed to return home at 9am on February 4.

'She was reported missing at about 11am. Mick reported her missing. He said she was supposed to be back to go to some sort of meeting that morning,' Allan said.

'She wasn't home. Didn't go to it... he rang up and reported it and after that they started looking out the other side of Buninyong, which is 20-30km away.'

I read “they started looking” as “police started looking” or maybe MM and police - not anyone else - but can see its open to interpretation.

I can’t vouch for SMs family but I would not recommend relying on my elderly parents, uncles, aunties for accurate info in a situation like this, they are very well meaning but also very easily muddled especially when stressed.

Another new article ....

A month has passed since Samantha Murphy disappeared.

A search for the 51-year-old has continued through constant speculation, a clandestine police investigation, and a community holding out hope.

Police have implemented strong resourcing but remain tight-lipped as they continue the hunt for information.

The investigation is still ongoing, though the ABC understands local police searches were impacted by recent bushfires west of Ballarat.

Organisers behind the searches said that now the threat of bushfires had cleared, they would reassess whether or not to start new searches.

I meant something else.

For me, her disappearance would be suspicious straight away.
Not after a week of it.
So, for me, what police think and say amongst themselves, and what they say officially, in public press conferences, are completely different things. IMO, a press conference is when police say only what they believe the public needs to know at that time - and the public, in their minds, always includes a potential perp. They are not transparently revealing the real state of the investigation.

JMO

Everything we know about the disappearance of Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy

Some extracts:

“One month, 29 days or 696 hours.
That’s how long Ballarat mother-of-three Samantha Murphy has been missing.”

“While it appears there are no standout suspects in Murphy’s disappearance, Hatt said police were looking into “a number of people” as a result of information they had received.
“All I can say is that our avenues are taking us down directions and we’re following everything,” he said.
Hatt said at this stage, Murphy’s husband Mick was not a suspect, but that everyone known to Murphy was a “person of interest”.”

“Former Victoria Police homicide detective Charlie Bezzina told 7NEWS.com.au the fact that police have said they believe one or more people were involved in Murphy’s disappearance suggests they do have suspects in mind.”

“The case may be further along if police had acted soon, Bezzina said.
“Evidence is so crucial,” he said.
“It’s the old (saying) about solving a crime within the first 24 hours.””

It is so sad Samantha has been missing for so long without a trace. I feel so sorry for the family not knowing what has happened. :(

Wild, am I missing something...could they have acted sooner?

Yes I think there a good chance MM or one of the kids checked FindMy when SM didn’t return on time, and saw that SM was a long way off course. We use it all the time in our family, it’s pretty easy, and we also use Life360 which actually pings us when the kids are on the move, arrive home, etc.

If FindMy info showing SM welll beyond the likely jogging zone was provided to the police it would be one explanation for the quick police response time. And the immediate police search 20-30km away.

Also just to clarify my earlier post I think the timeline of MM reporting SM missing seems normal. She was due back around 8.30 or 9, reported at 11, I assume after MM and kids spent a few hours calling and looking. If those assumptions are correct it follows what I think I would do, or my family would do if it were me.

What I thought may be extraordinary is how quickly that report escalated into a full blown police search with helicopters. Something caught the police’s attention. Maybe the FindMy location (if MM had it). Maybe as someone suggested a few pages back, there was even a frantic call or message from SM to MM (or to someone else) saying “I think I’m being followed by [insert your theory], help!”. Maybe both. Maybe it was a suspicious observation by police or just instinct from a good police officer, just felt something was up.

Or maybe it’s normal response from police? Seems to be mixed views on it from the sleuthers depending on their theory as to what happened and who did it, so has been good to hear everyone’s thoughts.
Yes, and the other reason people use some form of Findmy, is just to avoid losing their expensive and essential devices, for eg, having it fall off while you're running.

I think police have various protocols they follow - it's not a matter of, what shall I do given this completely novel situation?

As someone said above, a person out in the bush, for whatever reason (accident, illness, lost, abducted ... ), on a very hot day, is in a potentially life threatening situation, and that is the time that needs heroic emergency measures, like helicopters, etc. If the person is alive, you want to find them while they are still alive, not dither around developing theories of what might have happened, or getting all suspicious without any real reason.

JMO

Wild, am I missing something...could they have acted sooner?
Some more context for what Bezzina said:

Bezzina told 7NEWS.com.au he believes police, namely detectives from the Missing Persons Squad, did not take Murphy’s disappearance as seriously as they should have at the start of their investigation.

“The uniform police did (take it seriously) because they started the search immediately,” he said.

“Missing Persons weren’t on the ball straightaway. They didn’t take over until ... days later.

“They may have been aware of it but they weren’t on the ground from the Monday doing their investigation.”

He said he was “bewildered” that police had been so firm on the fact that the case was not suspicious for so long, only changing their lines of inquiry after the chief commissioner’s comments.

“(The police) were saying ‘it’s not suspicious, it’s not suspicious’ until the chief commissioner came out ... and said well it is suspicious.

“It’s absolute nonsense. It sounds like it was (an) investigation that they didn’t treat seriously enough.”

The case may be further along if police had acted soon, Bezzina said.

“It’s the old (saying) about solving a crime within the first 24 hours.”

Bezzina told 7NEWS.com.au he believes police, namely detectives from the Missing Persons Squad, did not take Murphy’s disappearance as seriously as they should have at the start of their investigation.

“The uniform police did (take it seriously) because they started the search immediately,” he said.

“Missing Persons weren’t on the ball straightaway. They didn’t take over until ... days later.

“They may have been aware of it but they weren’t on the ground from the Monday doing their investigation.”

He said he was “bewildered” that police had been so firm on the fact that the case was not suspicious for so long, only changing their lines of inquiry after the chief commissioner’s comments.

“(The police) were saying ‘it’s not suspicious, it’s not suspicious’ until the chief commissioner came out ... and said well it is suspicious.

“It’s absolute nonsense. It sounds like it was (an) investigation that they didn’t treat seriously enough.”

Thank you!

I have to admit I don't think bringing in the missing persons straight away would have made a difference but I could be wrong.

I believe that there was a window of opportunity to save Sam, several days probably, maybe longer. 8amish on a Sunday morning on the outskirts of Ballarat ... it was hardly Sydney peak hour. Vehicles that could have been used to transport her would have been few and far between. They wouldn't sit an abductee in the passenger seats of an average car.

RSBM

I think police have various protocols they follow - it's not a matter of, what shall I do given this completely novel situation?

In the book I am reading, as mentioned previously (Shattered Lives by NSW Det Peter Seymour), it is very evident that there are certain protocols that the detectives follow when investigating missing persons cases and murders involving unclear POIs/perps.

Part of these protocols include ... but are not limited to:

Get all phones records via the necessary warrants, and get as much CCTV as possible to review
Get the family in front of the media to get the tips rolling in
Follow up the tips
When the tips dry up, or if you receive no tips, get another press conference going
Never let the family give up hope, tell them that the investigation is going okay even when it seems to have stalled
Keep hoping that the one most important tip comes in - the one that gives someone up

(In the book, it was eventually the mother of a lad who knew the two killers who called in the most important tip. The protocols were mentioned as such because the Det was training up a rookie detective)

imo

Last edited:
At 100 kilometres per hour, 10 kilometres takes 6 minutes. ...10 minutes at 60 kilometres per hour.

10-20km past where they thought she'd be because they were worried about her.

They were searching that far probably wondering where she is. Seems fairly normal to me.

Why sensationalise the distance that Mick searched that morning? If it were my loved one I'd do exactly the same thing!

But wouldn't you do it closer to home, knowing that Sam was not doing a long run ?

Sorry but seems odd

hoping someone can clarify this ?
-The first area police searched was Bunninyong ,
-Is that where the last home ping was
- is that also the Golf Club
- is that where they had dinner the night before ?

This Age article says ...

The mutli-agency search started in an area behind the Bunninyong Golf Club, due to the fact that it was the last known place Sam’s phone had pinged.

It also says that at the dinner the night before, with Mick and friends, Sam mentioned that she had worked her way up from a keen bushwalker to a capable runner. It does not mention where the dinner was. I have never seen or heard the location of the dinner mentioned in MSM.
For all we know, Mick and Sam could have been invited to their friends house for dinner (or vice versa) - as it seems no restaurant staff have leaked a location to the press.

imo

I just saw some information from the latest iPhone updates. IMO

That under Settings - Privacy & Security - Journalling Suggestions - Discoverable by others.

"Can be automatically on to allow others to detect you are nearby to help prioritise their suggestions".

So after the latest update one has to disable/turn off this feature. Just another feature to consider. JMO

This Age article says ...

The mutli-agency search started in an area behind the Bunninyong Golf Club, due to the fact that it was the last known place Sam’s phone had pinged.

It also says that at the dinner the night before, with Mick and friends, Sam mentioned that she had worked her way up from a keen bushwalker to a capable runner. It does not mention where the dinner was. I have never seen or heard the location of the dinner mentioned in MSM.
For all we know, Mick and Sam could have been invited to their friends house for dinner (or vice versa) - as it seems no restaurant staff have leaked a location to the press.

imo

Crime Command detective acting superintendent Mark Hatt, never mentioned a dinner the night before or a supposed brunch the next day

Crime Command detective acting superintendent Mark Hatt, never mentioned a dinner the night before or a supposed brunch the next day

Do you think a dinner and brunch were just invented?

I think there would be far too many witnesses who say otherwise for that to be probable ..... Mick, dinner friends, brunch friends, children who live in the home and may have been attendees at the brunch and/or have been very aware where mum/dad would be that Saturday evening and Sunday brunch-time ... one of the kids is only 12 years old.

As well, Sam may have kept a family diary/calendar in the kitchen ... to keep track of different events and appointments for the family, to avoid double-booking and to know who is doing what and when. Most families need such a thing.

I have sometimes wondered (not that it makes a difference) if it was a birthday or anniversary being celebrated at the dinner and brunch.

imo

Last edited:
But wouldn't you do it closer to home, knowing that Sam was not doing a long run ?

Sorry but seems odd
Not odd if MM had that location from FindMy, which is the first thing I’d check.

FindMy shows the location of all my and my loved ones devices, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, air pods, Mac Book, and we have air tags on the car keys and the dogs collars. Very handy when anything gets misplaced, and especially handy when your sending a ditzy aloof kid off to school on the bus with $5k with of electronics in his bag, or you have a Labrador and a Golden Retriever that like to dig under fences and go exploring. Not so handy when the battery goes flat though - shows last known location. We still have a pair of AirPods MIA, we can see last location but have torn the place apart without luck - assumed gone for ever.

We also had a family members phone stolen once, by another kid. We could see it on FindMy at someone’s house - drove up to the property, parents were in garden, kid hanging around on porch, politely asked if anyone had seen a strange phone and as it was lost and FindMy shows it at their house, showed them the map. Parents looked perplexed but, lo and behold, the kid went inside and brought it out, he said he “found it at the park and was about to hand it over to police”! Parents did not look to happy with him.

Translating this to SM situation I think it’s plausible when it became apparent SM was late back from jog, MM or kids have called, perhaps no ring at all (phone dead) and then checked FindMy which showed one of SM’s devices last known location 20km away in an unexpected place. MM would be immediately concerned, as would police once reported. If we’re me I’d go for a drive around first, I always assume the best not the worst, hope it’s something innocuous.

What FindMy doesn’t show is movement over time, eg SMs running path from start to end. It just shows current or last pinged location. To retrace the running path SM would need to be live sharing to running friends on an app like Map My Run or Strava where people post and share their training. Or more likely police have had to do it the hard way by getting whatever detailed phone and watch data they could from the telco, which I assume takes days and process and warrants.

IMO police are implying the detailed data shows SM on foot as expected until the 8am Mt Clear (location that got focus) a week ago, and then IMO the around 8am data movement changes to indicate something eg pace indicates vehicle speed not running. Or heart rate data changes. Or both. I don’t think the data stops cold there and then, due to the suggestion of pings further away. It’s a point the data changed enough to suggest that’s where things turned bad for SM.

I remember that the WA police did a press conference virtually every day for many days when Cleo Smith disappeared. They were inundated with tip offs etc.and other work I imagine but still made the time to keep the case in the public's mind, jogging memories, encouraging people to take notice of even the smallest things. It paid off in the end. It was a small thing that gave them the breakthrough from someone who may not have noticed if it wasn't for the almost daily updates from police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member