Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember that the WA police did a press conference virtually every day for many days when Cleo Smith disappeared. They were inundated with tip offs etc.and other work I imagine but still made the time to keep the case in the public's mind, jogging memories, encouraging people to take notice of even the smallest things. It paid off in the end. It was a small thing that gave them the breakthrough from someone who may not have noticed if it wasn't for the almost daily updates from police.

Because it concerned a CHILD IMO.

"Investigation into disappearance of Ballarat mum Samantha Murphy

enters second month.

The State Emergency Service,
Country Fire Authority,
air search and rescue,
canine units,
drone units
and other speciality search crews
were also involved in the searches."

Some more context for what Bezzina said:

Bezzina told 7NEWS.com.au he believes police, namely detectives from the Missing Persons Squad, did not take Murphy’s disappearance as seriously as they should have at the start of their investigation.

“The uniform police did (take it seriously) because they started the search immediately,” he said.

“Missing Persons weren’t on the ball straightaway. They didn’t take over until ... days later.

“They may have been aware of it but they weren’t on the ground from the Monday doing their investigation.”

He said he was “bewildered” that police had been so firm on the fact that the case was not suspicious for so long, only changing their lines of inquiry after the chief commissioner’s comments.

“(The police) were saying ‘it’s not suspicious, it’s not suspicious’ until the chief commissioner came out ... and said well it is suspicious.

“It’s absolute nonsense. It sounds like it was (an) investigation that they didn’t treat seriously enough.”

The case may be further along if police had acted soon, Bezzina said.

“Evidence is so crucial,” he said.

“It’s the old (saying) about solving a crime within the first 24 hours.”
In the last presser Hatt said that the Missing Persons Squad took on the investigation the day after Samantha went missing. We don't know exactly what work was being carried out by the squad and maybe Charlie doesn't either.

Do you think a dinner and brunch were just invented?

I think there would be far too many witnesses who say otherwise for that to be probable ..... Mick, dinner friends, brunch friends, children who live in the home and may have been attendees at the brunch and/or have been very aware where mum/dad would be that Saturday evening and Sunday brunch-time ... one of the kids is only 12 years old.

As well, Sam may have kept a family diary/calendar in the kitchen ... to keep track of different events and appointments for the family, to avoid double-booking and to know who is doing what and when. Most families need such a thing.

I have sometimes wondered (not that it makes a difference) if it was a birthday or anniversary being celebrated at the dinner and brunch.

imo

You can only go on what the police are saying

I think there is a bit of different misrepresentation from some news sources

This Age article says ...

The mutli-agency search started in an area behind the Bunninyong Golf Club, due to the fact that it was the last known place Sam’s phone had pinged.

It also says that at the dinner the night before, with Mick and friends, Sam mentioned that she had worked her way up from a keen bushwalker to a capable runner. It does not mention where the dinner was. I have never seen or heard the location of the dinner mentioned in MSM.
For all we know, Mick and Sam could have been invited to their friends house for dinner (or vice versa) - as it seems no restaurant staff have leaked a location to the press.

imo
Thank you . There was a rumour that there was an incident at the dinner party ?

Thank you . There was a rumour that there was an incident at the dinner party ?

I think people are elaborating on this comment, without any real knowledge - as rumours often seem to do.

Reporter: we have received reports that police are investigating her movements at a Ballarat hospitality venue prior to her disappearance. Is there any truth to that?
Acting inspector Lisa McDougall: yeah, I don't have anything to provide comment on that at this time.
Thread 3, post 536

Movements does not equal incident.
And hospitality venue prior to her disappearance may not equal dinner on Saturday night.

imo

I read “they started looking” as “police started looking” or maybe MM and police - not anyone else - but can see its open to interpretation.

I can’t vouch for SMs family but I would not recommend relying on my elderly parents, uncles, aunties for accurate info in a situation like this, they are very well meaning but also very easily muddled especially when stressed.
And they said they were frustrated with the lack of progress. It was them who raised the 10am meeting. They also said it was Sam's parents who gave them info that first evening. So they didn't have any first hand knowledge of anything that day. Then they, and all family/friends were gagged from speaking out.

I think people are elaborating on this comment, without any real knowledge - as rumours often seem to do.

Reporter: we have received reports that police are investigating her movements at a Ballarat hospitality venue prior to her disappearance. Is there any truth to that?
Acting inspector Lisa McDougall: yeah, I don't have anything to provide comment on that at this time.
Thread 3, post 536

And hospitality venue prior to her disappearance may not equal dinner on Saturday night.

imo

What does it even mean

"investigating her MOVEMENTS during the venue"?

Huh?

There was a case that I followed of a missing man, in Galston Gorge. He disappeared in August, 2023. They found his body a few weeks ago. Shocking, as the area was thoroughly searched. I know the Gorge well from my walks there. It's only about 40 km out of Sydney. (It was not suspicious). It makes me wonder with all that bush out there, that she could possibly never be found. But then again, I.thought that of the couple that went missing in Alpine area.
I think CCTV, digital movements and anomalies, vehicle ID will be the keys to getting police facts and suspects.

IMO

What does it even mean

"investigating her MOVEMENTS during the venue"?

Huh?

Maybe she's got good dance moves. ;)

Or maybe it just means her potential attendance at a venue.

"movements at a Ballarat hospitality"

Similar to this not meaning an incident ... relating to her movements from the moment she left [her] home address on Sunday morning Link

imo

Maybe she's got good dance moves. ;)

Or maybe it just means her potential attendance at a venue.

"movements at a Ballarat hospitality"

Similar to this not meaning an incident ... relating to her movements from the moment she left [her] home address on Sunday morning Link

imo

This LE's cryptic language is a difficult hurdle to jump over for me hehe
;)

Thread 3, post 536

imo
Yes you are correct . Most just be gossip / rumours .

Crime Command detective acting superintendent Mark Hatt, never mentioned a dinner the night before or a supposed brunch the next day
I think this a really important point.

As far as I remember the police have never mentioned anything about the brunch or the dinner this info comes from the single friend of Sam's that has talked to the media and the uncle who IMHO offered more contradiction then he did credible info and then was told to shut up.

Why haven't any of her other friends such as the friends she was going to brunch with spoken up in the media??

As far as I remember the police have never mentioned anything about the brunch or the dinner this info comes from the single friend of Sam's that has talked to the media and the uncle who IMHO offered more contradiction then he did credible info and then was told to shut up.

Why haven't any of her other friends such as the friends she was going to brunch with spoken up in the media??

Because it might interfere with investigation?
Why did the family members suddenly get the gag order?

Maybe they have been told not to speak by police - because what ever happened / said / who was present is vital to the investigation

My impression is that the reason there are not more press conferences is very significant. Police seem to be trying to minimise the amount of information circulating. Perhaps this is reflective of the sheer volume of info they already have to sift through, and not wanting to create any additional rabbit holes? Or perhaps it is saying something about the nature of parties who they suspect may be involved? Perhaps Samantha’s friends and family have been “silenced” for their own protection? Perhaps Police are hoping those responsible might try to inject themselves in the investigation if they remain tight lipped and less information is forthcoming? Regardless, I suspect there is a solid rationale for what the police are doing, and not doing, saying and not saying... JMO…

Maybe they have been told not to speak by police - because what ever happened / said / who was present is vital to the investigation

Exactly.

Treating these items of info as "gossip/rumour" is unwise IMO.

The very fact that Police are tight lipped about them is veeeery telling.

The same concerns the "AVO".

There is no smoke without fire, hehe

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads