Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if you could expand a bit on your take, in regard to the 'odd indifference'... I would so appreciate it, because I cannot quite pin down what was going on at that public appeal. The daughter was clear as a bell, but he was ... the word I came up with was inappropriately comfortable. I don't see things clearly all the time, but the word 'indifference'.. that has a real resonance with me, he was, I do honestly thing, abnormally detached..

I also thought he came across as being very emotionally distanced from his spouse. No mention of how he feels, he talks in a nonchalant way, maybe the way you would talk about an item that went missing? Very much in stark contrast to the daughter.

I get that men in particular are not good at showing emotions and it would be very hard to be in this situation and having to front media and the public but I don’t sense any sadness from him really, find it extremely unusual.

I wonder if you could expand a bit on your take, in regard to the 'odd indifference'... I would so appreciate it, because I cannot quite pin down what was going on at that public appeal. The daughter was clear as a bell, but he was ... the word I came up with was inappropriately comfortable. I don't see things clearly all the time, but the word 'indifference'.. that has a real resonance with me, he was, I do honestly thing, abnormally detached...
to me he seemed sort of bemused, like maybe hed had enough of her and this was just another of her dramas, he didnt care anymore, he seemed at times to be smirking, just my take on it but im not implying guilt necessarily, just a roll eyes whatever kind of attitude?

to me he seemed sort of bemused, like maybe hed had enough of her and this was just another of her dramas, he didnt care anymore, he seemed at times to be smirking, just my take on it but im not implying guilt necessarily, just a roll eyes whatever kind of attitude?
Yes I did get an annoyed vibe from him as well. You put that very well, like “it was just another one of her dramas”

He'd maybe been trying to reassure the children and was behaving consistently with that?

'It could be that she was being stalked, if you have a regular pattern, stalkers love that and she had a regular pattern of running through that area.'

Mr Watson-Munro also said misadventure could be a possibility and noted locals in the area had raised concerns about unnoticeable mineshafts in the state forest.

He also said that if any crime has occurred, it's also possible it may be opportunistic, in that someone has seen Ms Murphy out and decided to act on that.

Superintendent Hatt said detectives would also look into Ms Murphy's movements and interactions with others in the days before she vanished, including her friends and family.

Ms Murphy is a mother to three children, two of which are enrolled in local schools.
Image of red-brick, double storey Victorian building

Ballarat Grammar is an Anglican Preparatory-to-Year 12 school.

A Ballarat Grammar mother, whose name has been withheld for privacy, said their child, who is in Year 6, had become frightened and anxious.

"I think they were initially scared because she's [Ms Murphy is] someone a bit like myself. I go running, I am often off doing that," she said.

"When they discovered it was someone from the same year level, it made it more real for them.

"For the kids, it is really scary when a mum goes missing. Mums are such vital parts of their everyday life."

Ballarat Grammar principal Adam Heath said staff had spoken to Year 6 students twice in the past week about the support available to them if they felt upset, concerned or anxious.

"We introduced them to this very difficult set of circumstances, understanding they are young and particularly vulnerable," he said.

"We explained to them there was support available and it would be upsetting for them potentially and very, very unsettling."
Mr Heath said Year 6 students had been introduced to the school's counsellors and chaplains and many had already sought support.

A Damascus College spokesperson said its chapel would be open at recess and lunch for its students and staff to visit, "to light a candle, to offer a prayer or to sit quietly in reflection".

"In times of challenge and uncertainty, we can experience mixed emotions, and we acknowledge the grief and vulnerabilities that the Damascus community may be feeling at present," she said.

Last edited:
Do you think the police / investigators could be saying “nothing suspicious” as a way to see how others react? Perhaps saying “nothing suspicious / nothing sinister” has been shown to let peoples guards down…
Certainly Police throw out red herrings on occasions to see how a poi may react but they would avoid lying to the public IMO. After all, it is the public that are paying for their service.

Certainly Police throw out red herrings on occasions to see how a poi may react but they would avoid lying to the public IMO. After all, it is the public that are paying for their service.
Vic pol members have to graduate in Cunning and Subterfuge, with a high pass mark, or they don't get into the Sons of God Squad.

It also helps if they are good looking, one particular detective in the RIstevski case had the good ladies of WS fainting and crying for days.

The “Find Samantha Murphy” group was shuttered and archived on Sunday after the page’s administrator posted a cryptic final message suggesting they had been “given the go ahead” to delete the page.

“Hi everyone, this group has served its purpose and we have been given the go ahead to delete, this is a huge mission on its own as I have to remove every member, if you would like to help Sam’s group, the best thing you can for her is to help speed the process up by deleting yourself,” the administrator wrote.

The public page previously had over 17,000 members, mostly made up of concerned residents in the close-knit Ballarat community and good Samaritans conducting volunteer searches.
The Find Samantha Murphy community page was shut down on Sunday. Picture: Facebook.

The Find Samantha Murphy community page was shut down on Sunday.
A Victoria Police spokesperson told SkyNews.com.au the decision to archive the page “was not from our end”.

“Victoria Police had no knowledge of (the page) being removed,” the spokesperson said.

Within hours new Facebook groups have popped up to continue volunteer efforts

*eta:
A lack of concrete information from authorities has bred speculation online, with members of the Facebook page split over the presence of a “psychic medium” who claimed to have insight into Ms Murphy’s whereabouts.

As arguments and innuendo broke out over the past week, a rival page titled Help FIND Samantha Murphy – which has less than 500 members – was created by people who have cast aspersions on Ms Hobbs’ motivations.

Ms Hobbs has made it clear in media interviews and on the site that she did not know Ms Murphy and had created the page as a way to connect volunteers and pool information.

Last edited:
Are Police going to do another press conference soon or are they going to let media drip feed snippets within coming days?

We have seen often that info leaks out to the public if they suspect foul play and want to apply pressure to a suspect.

It is hard to tell if Police have any idea or if they have a firm strategy?

I really don’t know at this stage but am leaning towards an accident or misadventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cancerkilla