Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is easy for fictions to be misrepresented or misperceived as facts…. We are all human and all fill in missing spaces with our own constructions, often without even realising…. Narratives abound….

Hence why it’s important to periodically revisit verified facts.

JMO :p:oops:

It is easy for fictions to be misrepresented or misperceived as facts…. We are all human and all fill in missing spaces with our own constructions, often without even realising…. Narratives abound….

Hence why it’s important to periodically revisit verified facts.

JMO :p:oops:

What are these 10 threads if not posters' own theories/narratives?

Based on MSM articles/reports.

Is DM forbidden on Websleuths?

Is it not MSM?

Why do we even post here if Police reports are scarce?

And MSM is ridiculed?

Last edited:
There are quotes further back in the threads, by former classmates, about behavioural issues PS had in school. At quite a young age. This could be an escalation of that behaviour.

Classmates from St Patrick’s College said he was often on the outer. That he struggled with his mental health. Welfare staff had to deal with frequent outbursts. He had eccentric behaviour. Was sometimes bullied. His mental health concerns were well known.

His family are described as lovely people, Great neighbours. Wonderful neighbours.

(Paraphrased from this article .... Accused killer Patrick Orren Stephenson shared love of footy with his dad)
It could be simply behavioral from a young age? Then again, it could have been made worse from that motorbike accident? Hopefully, by the time this case is done and dusted, many of these questions will have been answered.

It is mainly because there is, or there appears to be, absolutely no motive for the murder of Samantha Murphy, that speculation is rampant. Even among the murders typically done, of women, in Australia, Samantha's murder is minus any sort of logic whatsoever. She didn't know him, he didn't know her, ,he wasn't on her land, she wasn't on his, a calm warm Sunday morning in Feb, early as befits an Australian summer morning runner, , a woman of a sensible age somehow intercepts with a calculated murderer, a child by comparison, on a shady bush track, who instantly murders her.

Instantly, because police have given no info as to any conversation PS and SM had, he, PS has said nothing, nothing, no info as to why , from being a country boy electrician, plodding away with the plugs and cables, he suddenly decides to murder. No one knows how they came to be within killing distance of each other, we know she was on foot, we don't know what he was on, Commander Patton said NOT a hit and run, no one knows if he was out running as well..

I'm not familiar with Australian law, will the public have access to what evidence was brought up in the trial, once the trial is over?
Yes. Crime is public in Australia. Police, judges, courts, magistrates, prisons, etc.... all are paid from the public purse, so all of it is , in that sense, owned by the taxpayer.

The judges verdict, and more importantly, I think, ( my fave bit ) is the judge's summing up, where in exquisite language he/she will describe the case, outline the resolving of it, explain the judgement about to be given re sentencing, and conclude with thanks to the jury. This transcript , and often this part IS televised , will be on the Supreme Court website.

The trial itself will not be televised as it is not a thing in Au to do so, mainly. Some federal trials are, but not state, or local trials.. There will be good reportage, though, and hourly updates etc...

You can buy a transcript of the entire trial, after , of course., ( around $5000.00 )

Last edited:
I just want to point out, especially for those not in Australia, that the sun didn't set until around 8.30pm on February 4th, due to daylight savings. There's been a few theories about the 5pm ping being around about dusk, but there were several hours left of daylight.

If indeed the ping came about from disposal of the phone in the dam, it would have been a move made in daylight, from near the roadside, in view of at least one house, but perhaps with the carefully chosen cover of the dense blackberry bushes. I say carefully because of the thorns, but depending on the make up of the bush and proximity to the fence, it may have been quite easy and given some coverage. Or perhaps the accused got scratched up and arrived home with injuries?

The police are quite confident that the alleged murder took place at 8am in Mt Clear, so I don't think theories of her being kidnapped are accurate.
If the phone disposal/ping occurred around the time of the disposal of her body, the major question becomes where was her body in those hours? If only we had any information on the accused's movements on that Sunday.

What are these 10 threads if not posters' own theories/narratives?

Based on MSM articles/reports.

Is DM forbidden on Websleuths?

Is it not MSM?

Why do we even post here if Police reports are scarce?

And MSM is ridiculed?
Hi Dotta, great questions, as I’ve said many times before almost all comments on here are speculation. The way I see it is that’s fine as long as we acknowledge that and don’t confuse our own theories or suppositions with being facts

I’ve raised similar concerns to you in previous threads Re ridiculing of MSM (and DM in particular) when it alongside with police reports are the only information we have to go on (aside from conjecture and speculation….) When I asked last time Re DM I was advised it was not banned…. In which case I think it’s unfair for people on this site to criticise those who cite articles from DM…

For better or worse we are reliant on the only information made available to us by MSM…. if that’s inaccurate then our theories are bound to be too…. But we can only work with what we have - unless we wish to wait until police solve the crime.

Good to know I’m not the only one who has pondered these questions….

“Great minds think alike” as they say… ;)

Last edited:
I just want to point out, especially for those not in Australia, that the sun didn't set until around 8.30pm on February 4th, due to daylight savings. There's been a few theories about the 5pm ping being around about dusk, but there were several hours left of daylight.
If indeed the ping came about from disposal of the phone in the dam, it would have a move made in daylight, from near the roadside, in view of at least one house, but perhaps with the carefully chosen cover of the dense blackberry bushes. I say carefully because of the thorns, but depending on the make up of the bush and proximity to the fence, it may have been quite easy and given some coverage. Or perhaps the accused got scratched up and arrived home with injuries?
The police are quite confident that the alleged murder took place at 8am in Mt Clear, so I don't think theories of her being kidnapped are accurate.
If the phone disposal/ping occurred around the time of the disposal of her body, the major question becomes where was her body in those hours? If only we had any information on the accused's movements on that Sunday.
The thing about the dusk has to be repeated often, HB.. round earth and all that, it all seems to be sometimes a great surprise to find that February is not winter all around the world.. 36 Lat. South.. There would still be light after sunset, for about 40 mins... it was a very hot day, too..

If indeed the ping came about from disposal of the phone in the dam, it would have been a move made in daylight, from near the roadside, in view of at least one house, but perhaps with the carefully chosen cover of the dense blackberry bushes. I say carefully because of the thorns, but depending on the make up of the bush and proximity to the fence, it may have been quite easy and given some coverage. Or perhaps the accused got scratched up and arrived home with injuries?

We don't know what time Samantha was concealed.

Only that the phone was disposed at 5 pm.
(the last ping)

If the THEORY that it happened BEFORE her concealment,
then,
it is possible that the accused WAITED for the dusk to do it.
After 8.30 pm or LATER.
Right?

It seems wiser to conceal a dead body when it is dark than in full sunshine, with possible witnesses loitering on sunny Sunday.

I understand that February is not winter in Australia hahaha ;)
I had Geography at school :rolleyes:

JMO

Last edited:

(the last ping)

then,
After 8.30 pm or LATER.
Right?

It seems wiser to conceal a dead body when it is dark than in full sunshine, with possible witnesses loitering on sunny Sunday.

Agree that would APPEAR to make more sense given the extreme temperatures on the day…

Which then begs the question of where MIGHT the body have been during the day?

JMO

It is mainly because there is, or there appears to be, absolutely no motive for the murder of Samantha Murphy, that speculation is rampant. Even among the murders typically done, of women, in Australia, Samantha's murder is minus any sort of logic whatsoever. She didn't know him, he didn't know her, ,he wasn't on her land, she wasn't on his, a calm warm Sunday morning in Feb, early as befits an Australian summer morning runner, , a woman of a sensible age somehow intercepts with a calculated murderer, a child by comparison, on a shady bush track, who instantly murders her.

Instantly, because police have given no info as to any conversation PS and SM had, he, PS has said nothing, nothing, no info as to why , from being a country boy electrician, plodding away with the plugs and cables, he suddenly decides to murder. No one knows how they came to be within killing distance of each other, we know she was on foot, we don't know what he was on, Commander Patton said NOT a hit and run, no one knows if he was out running as well..
That's interesting, that Australia doesn't have the 'jogging women murder' phenomenon that is, unfortunately, fairly common in North America.

I can think of 2 cases from big cities in Canada, where the victims were 53 and 57, and another similar case where the victim was 70.

There's even an - incomplete - Wikipedia entry: List of people killed while running - Wikipedia

Considering the search for Samantha started, ( in relative terms ) early..she had been 'missing' for about 2 hours, having not turned up for the brunch, her killer had no clue that this search would begin that early. He would have had no idea of how much time he had, or even where , once a search began, where it would take place. He had no way of knowing if his victim had told anyone which direction she was going in.

Hiding the body, burying the body, removing the body, all takes time and effort and by now, the forest is being peopled with searchers and dogs , on foot and on bike, some horseback searchers.. must have been a bit of panic time, perhaps.. The sun is blazing down, helicopters buzzing around, divvy vans back and forth...

“Assumptions are made and most assumptions are wrong”. Albert Einstein.

Begin challenging your own assumptions. Your assumptions are your Windows on the World. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” -Alan Alda.

Last edited:
That's interesting, that Australia doesn't have the 'jogging women murders' that are, unfortunately, very common in North America.

QUOTE="Trooper, post: 18924658, member: 84876"]

Australia is very fortunate then, not to have the 'jogging women' murders that are unfortunately well-known in North America, and elsewhere. I can think of 2 cases in from big cities in Canada, where the victims were 53 and 57, and another similar case where the victim was 70.

There's even an - incomplete - Wikipedia entry: List of people killed while running - Wikipedia
[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to know what kind of terrain they were jogging on.. from the list, it appears to be suburban, but that may be just for location purposes, maybe they were out in national parks near cities, I would like to know this..

And in what weather.. that would be crucial, I think... the season, etc.. .. I once got lost just walking thru a golf course in Toronto i ( Scarborough ) in winter, I could not believe the sudden whiteout , a typical tourist accident coming up , was my first thought. I wouldn't see a battalion of murderers coming up to me. .

Last edited:

(the last ping)

then,
After 8.30 pm or LATER.
Right?

JMO
No, we don't know when Samantha's body was placed in its current location.

I was just going on the current thought process (by some), that it may have coincided with the phone ping. Do we know for sure that the ping is tied to the phone being put in the dam? I don't believe we do. It didn't send pings throughout the day (as far as the public know), so why would it ping at that point? Was it turned back on then for some reason? To erase something? To turn off the location, internet or any tracking apps?

Disposing of her body at dusk is very risky, because that means wherever she was during the day was deemed not to be good enough to be permanent, or in a location such as a car boot. Either way is risky. It suggests to me that he needed time to think, or did not have time in the early morning to dispose of her. I'm not sure at what point a body starts to smell on a hot summer's day? Does it take hours? Days? Weeks? Again, it comes down to the accused's movements on the day. Was he totally alone all day? Did he have a house (house sitting or parents house?) to himself? Did he have plans or obligations to meet meaning not a lot of free time? Or perhaps he was just bold enough to think she wouldn't be discovered during the day and that dusk would be a better time to dispose of Samantha for good?

MIO of course

Last edited:
As far as I am aware we don’t KNOW that the 5pm ping coincided with the phone being thrown in the dam - that is just a possible THEORY.

My thinking is that IF the accused DID remove the body from the murder scene to another location during the day that it must have been somewhere COOL. An unoccupied house he had access to? But this is just one of many possible THEORIES….

IMO everything the accused is purported to have done is risky… :oops: Part of his MO perhaps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members