Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed. Which is why I am willing to wager that the perp will also have turned his phone off sometime shortly before he struck
If police can put a time to the 'catastrophic event' registered on Sam's devices, and PS turned off his phone just before, that would give them a reason to believe the attack was intentional.

At 7.15pm it was announced that there was no threat to the public! ie there wasn't somebody running around randomly abducting and possibly killing people. How did they know that? How could they possibly have known that? If I had been in that area at that time, I don't believe I would have felt safe and reassured. Surely LE only say that when they know the who and why - so if that was a true statement, then they obviously knew a great deal already, and maybe were already tracking PS. I just don't understand it.
I don't recall the exact timing, but it did seem conflicting to me that apparently there was no threat to the public, yet at the same time the police made it feel (to me at least) that they didn't have a lot to go on, and I believe were still talking just as if she were a missing person at that stage. Those things don't gel. It's a very bold statement indeed to say the general public were safe, there's no coming back from that. Can you imagine the backlash if indeed another person went missing in similar circumstances? In these very early days it appeared police were welcoming of the general public searching for Samantha, which again doesn't mesh with perhaps knowing that she had been murdered. It just doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me, but I'm hoping it comes out at trial.

If SM’s phone was switched off then that’s potentially damning.

If it wasn’t switched off immediately then maybe it tried to connect to his car’s bluetooth. If police were able to do a data dump from his car would that come up?

I don't recall the exact timing, but it did seem conflicting to me that apparently there was no threat to the public, yet at the same time the police made it feel (to me at least) that they didn't have a lot to go on, and I believe were still talking just as if she were a missing person at that stage. Those things don't gel. It's a very bold statement indeed to say the general public were safe, there's no coming back from that. Can you imagine the backlash if indeed another person went missing in similar circumstances? In these very early days it appeared police were welcoming of the general public searching for Samantha, which again doesn't mesh with perhaps knowing that she had been murdered. It just doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me, but I'm hoping it comes out at trial.
My thoughts when they said there was no threat was that they suspected Mick . To have eyes on PS that early doesn’t seem plausible unless they had a cc tv of him near her which they are keeping quiet

My thoughts when they said there was no threat was that they suspected Mick . To have eyes on PS that early doesn’t seem plausible unless they had a cc tv of him near her which they are keeping quiet
If they suspected Mick, that would explain their comments. And if so, I hope they grovelled to the poor man, and begged his forgiveness.

Written Etiquette.
When people call people by their first name in correspondence or posts, it implies you know them personally. If you do know them personally, that is considered accceptable usage, but please let others know that. If however you don't know them personally you should probably use their full name otherwise it is considered disrespectful. I have noticed that some posters are calling Mr. Michael Murphy by his first name, Mick. It implies you are his mate.

Written Etiquette.
When people call people by their first name in correspondence or posts, it implies you know them personally. If you do know them personally, that is considered accceptable usage, but please let others know that. If however you don't know them personally you should probably use their full name otherwise it is considered disrespectful. I have noticed that some posters are calling Mr. Michael Murphy by his first name, Mick. It implies you are his mate.
My apologies, you are quite right - to you and to Mr Murphy.

Written Etiquette.
I don't think Mick would mind & I see no issue with it at all.

Locals call him Mick, MSM calls him Mick, cops probably call him Mick, friends & family call him Mick.....

Mick seems to have lots of mates :)

Also noticed in my last link the following

After calling her mobile, with no answer, Mick notified police and began searching in nearby bushland.

BBM - ? not turned off

Written Etiquette.
Might be good manners to check with Mick as to what he wishes to be called ... he looks the kind of bloke who would prefer Mick.

If PS was initially at Mt Clear for reasons other than (allegedly) attacking a woman, it’s quite likely he had his phone on. Phone data would place him there around 8am.
It’s more likely he’d turn his phone off if he was there under premeditated intentions to harm someone, and was lying in wait.

Early on the police appeared to be relying on Sam’s phone data. They seemed to know Sam’s journey from home until 7km into the park, and then the intel seemed to stop.

If PS’s phone was detected to be near hers then of course both phones were switched on at some point at the same time at the same spot. I think his phone was on when they encountered one another. If so, the attack may have not been premediated and instead occurred due to a dispute.

Right now I’m wondering if she caught something on her phone that he wanted erased, and the struggle resulted in her death. Panicked, turned off both phones, placed her in his car and went about his day, and then disposed of Sam, personal items and her phone later in the afternoon when he had time. If he was turning the phone on and off (and it actually was pinging between 3 & 5) it may have been attempts to access something on the phone, like photos or video/s.

I'll be relying on WS for regular

I'll be watching out on WS as will be away. Keep posting.
Another reason why there could be a delay.. .... back in the first Mention, the defence said, the accused was having 'issues' with being on remand.. In court, there is no such thing as a throw away line, we say , outside court, oh, he has issues, he can't deal with too much sunshine, stuff like that, but to say this in court indicates a significant issue, that the defence, and the prosecution want it On The Record..... the Remandee is causing disruption, disturbance, etc... something that has to be addressed before proceedings continue , maybe...

Meaning, there could be some request to the court for some sort of treatment, before a Committal is heard, so... pencilled in, not biro, just yet...

I don't think Mick would mind & I see no issue with it at all.

Locals call him Mick, MSM calls him Mick, cops probably call him Mick, friends & family call him Mick.....

Mick seems to have lots of mates :)

Also noticed in my last link the following

After calling her mobile, with no answer, Mick notified police and began searching in nearby bushland.

BBM - ? not turned off
His call went straight to the 'message bank', so would that not indicate that the phone was turned off or alternatviely in a 'black spot'?

If they suspected Mick, that would explain their comments. And if so, I hope they grovelled to the poor man, and begged his forgiveness.
They have to eliminate those closest and it’d be an awful experience for all parties. Remember poor Tom Meagher when Jill Meagher was missing?

“Tom was told firmly, but politely, that the homicide squad begins with those closest to the victim and then works its way out in ever-increasing circles. The reality is that in the vast majority of murders the victim knows the offender and in most cases involving females they are killed by their partners.”

Another reason why there could be a delay.. .... back in the first Mention, the defence said, the accused was having 'issues' with being on remand.. In court, there is no such thing as a throw away line, we say , outside court, oh, he has issues, he can't deal with too much sunshine, stuff like that, but to say this in court indicates a significant issue, that the defence, and the prosecution want it On The Record..... the Remandee is causing disruption, disturbance, etc... something that has to be addressed before proceedings continue , maybe...

Meaning, there could be some request to the court for some sort of treatment, before a Committal is heard, so... pencilled in, not biro, just yet...
Like setting the groundwork for a (tactical?) delay perhaps.

Toyah Cordingley's trial was due to start in July but has been adjourned until next February, for a few reasons that I’m yet to fully comprehend.

Like setting the groundwork for a (tactical?) delay perhaps.

Toyah Cordingley's trial was due to start in July but has been adjourned until next February, for a few reasons that I’m yet to fully comprehend.

Lots of logistical matters to be scrutinised,..... traditionally, the accused presents in person at his own trial. Covid and ZOOM have changed that , but the essence remains the same, the jury is entitled to see and hear the accused at all times, the Ballarat public, all good taxpayers , are entitled to have justice done , and seen to be done, in their community, the jurors should be of his peers, etc...

Weighed up against transporting a difficult passenger, kicking and screaming , perhaps, 60klms up from Melbourne to Ballarat AND BACK every day, at high speed, with an attendant fleet of divvy vans and motorcycles, just in case, ..... and then, or, where to put him up in Ballarat if he is to stay there for the entire trial. he has to be sequestered from other prisoners, catering, Health and Safety stuff , extra Correctional staff,.. matters like this.. If he's having 'issues'.. and in Remand, everyone has issues, his must be a bit alarming to be bought forward in a Mention, all these things become elevated!!..

People mentioned how different he looked after a short time in Remand, less polished, more disheveled....

If he's having 'issues'.. and in Remand, everyone has issues, his must be a bit alarming to be bought forward in a Mention, all these things become elevated!!..
Remand, I’d imagine, is far more accommodating and comfortable than prison too. Yet he waits in silence, and is not pleading his case, or his innocence, or for a deal. If you were innocent or feeling misunderstood in that situation and having issues, why wouldn’t you be doing everything you can, and very vocally, to get yourself free?

Written Etiquette.
No offence meant to anyone but I reckon the poor fella has bigger things to worry about than whether people who don’t know him are referring to him as Mick or Michael. JMO

Written Etiquette.

I asked a while back why people never used names and used initials instead, and nobody mentioned that it left the impression you knew the person, or that it was bad etiquette. As a result I have chosen to use Samantha's name, as initials feel cold, and relegates her to nothing more than what feels like an object. I personally find it respectful to use her name, and continue to keep her memory alive. I'm more than happy to continue to type PS. Is that considered poor taste here?

Last edited:
I asked a while back why people never used names and used initials instead, and nobody mentioned that it left the impression you knew the person, or that it was bad etiquette. As a result I have chosen to use Samantha's name, as initials feel cold, and relegates her to nothing more than what feels like an object. I personally find it respectful to use her name, and continue to keep her memory alive. I'm more than happy to continue to type PS. Is that considered poor taste here?
Bed etiquette or bad etiquette? :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back