Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really think he would be able to chuck a phone pretty far. Anywhere around that dam is not out of his league.

It is no good basing the throw on what an average "us" would do. This guy was a former (?) footy player, young and lean, and probably desperate (adrenalin coursing through his body) when he threw the phone.

Decent 13-15 year old football players in the US are expected to be able to throw a football 35-40 yards (32-36m).
Decent 16+ year olds are expected to be able to throw about 50 yards (45m). Link

imo
That was what I was alluding to. Such a throw would be easy for a tall (6' 6), fit, 22 year old, sometime footy player with developed arm & shoulder muscles. Not so much for someone without the height, or similar attributes. Could be useful when looking at the alleged’s modus operandi.

That’s a throw of at least 40 metres. A distance equivalent to the length of a Boeing 737-800. That’d take a bit of skill & strength. I’d imagine the thrower would aim for the middle or the depth to hide it more. I’m not sure if a mobile phone in a wallet with cards would just sink where it landed or float a little. Maybe it hit the edge or one of the visible shelfs and lodged in the shallows.

That was what I was alluding to. Such a throw would be easy for a tall (6' 6), fit, 22 year old, sometime footy player with developed arm & shoulder muscles. Not so much for someone without the height, or similar attributes. Could be useful when looking at the alleged’s modus operandi.
I reckoned 60 metres, diagonal from a convenient place by the road. I agree that the accused could do it, but count me sceptical that he's 6'6". I think football height stats exaggerate.

I reckoned 60 metres, diagonal from a convenient place by the road. I agree that the accused could do it, but count me sceptical that he's 6'6". I think football height stats exaggerate.

I don't think it was thrown, possibly placed there on the bank and in the bushes, maybe the person only wanted it hidden to return to collect it again at some other time, all Samantha's cards were in there which is unusual and none of the cards had come out of the phone wallet and scattered If thrown and still secured, which is surprising in itself.

Someone could have possibly wanted her cards for future references or as a trophy, possibly why they were still in there and not destroyed

Last edited:
... all Samantha's cards were in there which is unusual and none of the cards had come out of the phone wallet and scattered If thrown and still secured, which is surprising in itself.

I don't personally think that is unusual at all. The pockets for cards are designed to be tight. So that cards do not fall out. Sometimes it is a real effort to remove a card from its slot.

imo

Last edited:
I don't personally think that is unusual at all. The pockets for cards are designed to be tight. So that cards do not fall out. Sometimes it is a real effort to remove a card from its slot.

imo
I have a similar phone wallet and there is no way they would stay in there, even If I threw it on the bed. Let alone from a distance and the fact they weren't disposed of. So I don't agree

I don't think it was thrown, possibly placed there on the bank and in the bushes, maybe the person only wanted it hidden to return to collect it again at some other time, all Samantha's cards were in there which is unusual and none of the cards had come out of the phone wallet and scattered If thrown and still secured, which is surprising in itself.

Someone could have possibly wanted her cards for future references or as a trophy, possibly why they were still in there and not destroyed
I agree with you Scooby-Doo, it would scatter. Those phone cases have ordinary clips, the wallet also looked like it was full of cards. I can’t imagine throwing one of those cases 5m without it coming open. I think it was placed there and tipped off, given VicPol carried out a targeted search with dogs and an excavator, it seemed deliberate. Also, it was upright in the mud.

It still surprises me that Samantha would take it on a run, especially if her watch had a sim. It would be bulky in leggings pockets and certainly too bulky for an arm band.

I agree with you Scooby-Doo, it would scatter. Those phone cases have ordinary clips, the wallet also looked like it was full of cards. I can’t imagine throwing one of those cases 5m without it coming open. I think it was placed there and tipped off, given VicPol carried out a targeted search with dogs and an excavator, it seemed deliberate. Also, it was upright in the mud.

It still surprises me that Samantha would take it on a run, especially if her watch had a sim. It would be bulky in leggings pockets and certainly too bulky for an arm band.
I agree and If she had a GPS plus Cellular smartwatch, she wouldn't need to take her mobile

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't remember it being 'all Samantha's credit cards' either, last I heard it was 'artifacts'... some 'artifacts'....

Police detectives, with the aid of a sniffer dog, located the phone near a dam in Buninyong last week, which is not far from the missing mother's home. Last week, Murphy's husband Mick confirmed to 7NEWS that her credit cards, licence and iPhone were all recovered in mud at the dam

I don't remember seeing that. Have you got a picture, or other link, please?
I don’t. I was sure I’d read that it was upright. Looking at the photo, there is more damage than I recall. Iam also sure Mick confirmed all cards were there.

why on earth would she take her credit cards with her on a run down a bush track?... mystery to me....... ok , then.. credit cards it is.. could that be a mistake in reportage? ID card, possibly.... although, in AU that's usually a drivers licence, or .. pensioner card, or bank card, maybe, ID cards are not, as a rule, issued by any govt in AU, far as I know..

why on earth would she take her credit cards with her on a run down a bush track?... mystery to me....... ok , then.. credit cards it is.. could that be a mistake in reportage? ID card, possibly.... although, in AU that's usually a drivers licence, or .. pensioner card, or bank card, maybe, ID cards are not, as a rule, issued by any govt in AU, far as I know..
Some people like to keep everything in their phone wallet, that's why some buy them, saves taking a purse at places

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back