SC SC - Annette Deanne Sagers, 11, Mount Holly, 4 Oct 1988

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw this case on the front page. I will save time later to read about it but just wanted to saw this little girl is beautiful!! So tired of our babies being taken

Well I've read this thread a couple times now, and there is definitely a lot going on in this case. Very complex family dynamics. Here's what makes sense to me based on what I have read. My disclaimer is that this is just one person's opinion, I know no more than anyone else. I am also trying to be sensitive to the family members that are reading this thread. God Bless you all. Stay strong and come together.
In the majority of cases I've followed, the predictable happened (when we know the outcome). In the absence of facts, we tend to become far reaching in our theories. So given that, I think one of two things happened, and many of you have stated this already in one form or another:

Scenario One - Mom ran off because she just couldn't handle the marriage, or was being abused. She was able to come back and catch her daughter at a known spot and take her with her. I'm sure she intended to collect her boys at some point, but that follow up opportunity didn't transpire. For all we know she *did* try, perhaps several times.

Scenario Two - Mom was murdered and the little girl had knowledge and paid the ultimate price.
Only these two scenarios make sense to me. I think it's highly possible Mom went in to hiding and has stayed hidden all these years. If so, I'm sure she must have had a good reason for it. I do believe that we will find out some day....if the little girl (now grown woman) knows her family has been desperately searching for her I believe she will step forward.

All quotes snipped to save space:

However, if Annette usually called Steve by his name or referred to Steve as her "step-dad" (as I do mine), then I think addressing the note to "Dad" suggests that the person who took her forced her to write that note and dictated what she should write. This would suggest it was someone who wasn't aware Steve was not Annette's bio dad, or wrongly assumed that she called him "Dad".

That's a good point. I wonder if this was explored by LE?

By the way, prior to my brother and I, there were many fights and arguments between Steve (SM) and Korrina (KM). Korrina called one of my uncles and said she hit Steve over the head with a frying pan and knocked him out. The night she disappeared, they had an argument. Later that evening, she jumped into the car and drove it to the edge of the plantation and left the car with the doors wide open.

The mystery began five days before Thanksgiving 1987, when Malinoski didn't show up for work at a Summerville convenience store. The store manager began looking for his 26-year-old employee of six months and discovered her car parked and locked near the plantation's gated entrance.

BBM

The one thing that makes me question whether or not Korrina ran off, is the fact that she left the car behind. I’d think that she would need it at least initially, to help her get away.

I know the passage of time causes things to get a bit foggy, but do we know if the doors were found opened or locked?

If she was taken against her will, I could see the driver's door being open, but why would more than one be? Was someone else in the car with her? Would they have taken off by foot from there? Could more than one person be involved?

If she left on her own free will, did she have a friend with a car who helped her that night?

BBM

The one thing that makes me question whether or not Korrina ran off, is the fact that she left the car behind. I’d think that she would need it at least initially, to help her get away.

I know the passage of time causes things to get a bit foggy, but do we know if the doors were found opened or locked?

If she was taken against her will, I could see the driver's door being open, but why would more than one be? Was someone else in the car with her? Would they have taken off by foot from there? Could more than one person be involved?

If she left on her own free will, did she have a friend with a car who helped her that night?

If the doors where wide open that is disturbing. I know from experience that this is a sign that there was more then 1 person in the vehicle when it was left there.

I thought I saw earlier that there was a custody dispute over Annette before she disappeared, but now I cant find the post. Did anyone else see that, or am I confusing this with a different case?

Hi! I saw this story on the front page and read all the way through each posts.

My questions is about- Annette's bio dad. Who is/was he? Anyone know? I am not saying I think or know that this happened- because I absolutely do not...however- if she had a fairly volatile relationship with Steve prior to her disappearance (frying pan)....she could possibly have had (and maybe still does) have a relationship with bio daddy.

I would like to know where he was, where he has been and where he is now.

Someone mentioned earlier that they couldn't believe this case has not gotten much coverage over the years. I can. And here's why- most of the time- when MP cases are all over the news---it's because that person has loved ones who are out there....demanding the case be worked. Going on tv shows, doing interviews etc.

You all are on WS, you know....it is nearly impossible to get media coverage for many victims. Sadly, this mother and daughter didn't have a parent fighting for her to be found. This mother did not have a significant other fighting to keep her face in the media.

Hell....soon after their disappearances- he gave up all parental rights to these precious boys!!

Something is awfully fishy about him (sorry I am just being blunt).
Sorry Lost_Son- I am just having a hard time getting around the fact that Steve- loses his wife, his step daughter....does not know where they are (I guess he assumed she took her with that letter).
so he loses his wife and step daughter
moves away to Florida
two boys go into Foster Care and thankfully come out great
and
Steve moved way down in Florida, married again and has three more children?

That doesnt pass my smell test. I am so sorry for everything you and your brother have had to go through. : )

S.S.
Oh and all ^^^above^^^^ is just my opinion

BBM

I am not sure which it is. I was told by family that the doors were open, and apparently the paper reported doors locked.

I thought I saw earlier that there was a custody dispute over Annette before she disappeared, but now I cant find the post. Did anyone else see that, or am I confusing this with a different case?

Yes, it is true. I posted it in the 15th. POST # 107

Hi! I saw this story on the front page and read all the way through each posts.

My questions is about- Annette's bio dad. Who is/was he? Anyone know? I am not saying I think or know that this happened- because I absolutely do not...however- if she had a fairly volatile relationship with Steve prior to her disappearance (frying pan)....she could possibly have had (and maybe still does) have a relationship with bio daddy.

I would like to know where he was, where he has been and where he is now.

Someone mentioned earlier that they couldn't believe this case has not gotten much coverage over the years. I can. And here's why- most of the time- when MP cases are all over the news---it's because that person has loved ones who are out there....demanding the case be worked. Going on tv shows, doing interviews etc.

You all are on WS, you know....it is nearly impossible to get media coverage for many victims. Sadly, this mother and daughter didn't have a parent fighting for her to be found. This mother did not have a significant other fighting to keep her face in the media.

Hell....soon after their disappearances- he gave up all parental rights to these precious boys!!

Something is awfully fishy about him (sorry I am just being blunt).
Sorry Lost_Son- I am just having a hard time getting around the fact that Steve- loses his wife, his step daughter....does not know where they are (I guess he assumed she took her with that letter).
so he loses his wife and step daughter
moves away to Florida
two boys go into Foster Care and thankfully come out great
and
Steve moved way down in Florida, married again and has three more children?

That doesnt pass my smell test. I am so sorry for everything you and your brother have had to go through. : )

S.S.
Oh and all ^^^above^^^^ is just my opinion

I am still looking into getting information on Annette Bio Father.

Is DNA on file for Annette and Korrina?

There is NO file for Korrina
post #135
Shame; I was hopeful it may be her. She looks like Annette.
So sorry for what your family is going through. Any idea why there are no missing pages for Korrina? Was a missing persons report ever filed? Your best bet would be to call Berkeley County Sheriff's Office Missing Persons Unit 843-719-4424
Annette's NCIC Number: M-915707888
If there is no missing persons report; see if you can file one. All of Annette's pages refer to your mother being missing; so I find it strange your mom doesn't have a report since it's all worded that she was abducted.

Also; there is no DNA for Annette on NamUs; call to see if you're able to submit a sample. Case manager- Padma Knight 1-800-843-5678 or the regional admin Brenda Galarza namus@ncmec.org 703-837-6276

Porchlight has an article titled Mom, daughter missing since 80s still a mystery from 2002 by The Post and Courier
*Note also quoted in post #21

Steve had no rights as a parent over Annette. She was Korrina's daughter from another man, and she had no relation to Steve, except the obvious legal one from their marriage. At the time of her disappearance, family was attempting to get custody over Annette. It was shortly after her disappearance, that the custody hearing was supposed to take place. The legal process for custody over Annette began shortly after Korrina's disappearance.

With what you've said about Steve; I'm really surprised he didn't ship Annette off right after your mom went missing. I'm surprised he kept her as long as he did. What are the odds that her birth father took her?

I've found what is POSSIBLY Korrina's yearbook photo in 1977 in the Moline High School (Illinois) yearbook, as a sophmore.

I've found what is POSSIBLY Korrina's yearbook photo in 1977 in the Moline High School (Illinois) yearbook, as a sophmore.

Yes, Korrina went to Moline High School in 77. She is on page 163. Anyone can go and see as long as they link their FaceBook account to Classmates.com. I am not advertising for the website, this is just how I found her her picture online. I also have purchased the yearbook through E-Bay and received it on Friday, last week I think. I will post the picture as soon as I get a minute.

Here's the yearbook photo as a screenshot in the meanwhile:

2198n6e.jpg

Sorry it's such low definition and small, but the scan on Classmates isn't very good quality, but it's something until you can upload the better scan!

This is Korrina in a photo taken probably in Autumn 1976.

Here's the yearbook photo as a screenshot in the meanwhile:

2198n6e.jpg

Sorry it's such low definition and small, but the scan on Classmates isn't very good quality, but it's something until you can upload the better scan!

This is Korrina in a photo taken probably in Autumn 1976.

good find!!!

I don't know if this really means anything but i found their marriage record online

Groom: THOMAS S MALINOSKI
Born: 1956 or 1957
Bride: KORRINA L SAGERS
Born: 1960 or 1961
Marriage date: October 17, 1981
County where license purchased: HARRIS COUNTY, TEXAS
Index number: 183798

http://marriagesintexas.com/1981/183798.html

I am curious if dogs were ever brought in to help search for either one or if the property was ever thoroughly searched after Annette disappeared? I didn't see this posted anywhere so I apologize in advance if I missed it.
Not sure if dogs would be brought in if LE were told Korrina left on her own and then came back for Annette?
And am I understanding that Korrina's father killed her mother and then Korrina and her own daughter go missing (at separate times.) I am only asking that because I want to make sure I read that correctly.

I am curious if dogs were ever brought in to help search for either one or if the property was ever thoroughly searched after Annette disappeared? I didn't see this posted anywhere so I apologize in advance if I missed it.
Not sure if dogs would be brought in if LE were told Korrina left on her own and then came back for Annette?
And am I understanding that Korrina's father killed her mother and then Korrina and her own daughter go missing (at separate times.) I am only asking that because I want to make sure I read that correctly.

I am sure dogs were brought to help with the search.

There was an anonymous tip once that Korrina's body was in a field. The residing county and other counties teamed up and combed the area. One dog they had with them, found a body 6' in the ground from the civil war, in the past. However, on this particular search, even with the tip, nothing was found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Best Online Jewellery Mar
Back