Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just smack me if I say something dumb here...lol
If she was pinged in MB at 8:58 and pinged in Georgetown at 10:18, that's an hour and 20 minutes.
According to google maps, it takes 1 hour and 7 minutes to get to N Santee River Rd from the BWR. Obviously, I wouldn't think she'd be that far...given traffic and speed traps, etc, but I still think an hour and 7 minutes would be enough to have her in Georgetown county if she was taken straight there from BWR. So, am I missing some obvious time gap?? :waitasec:

There probably wasn't much they could have done with her in a car considering including Brittanee, 3-4 people may have been seated unless it was a van. So they drive immediately south to GT. It takes approx an hour to get there. Her phone then stops and remains stationary along the Santee somewhere. I wonder and I am sure we all wonder what happened next with her. I know there isn't much in this area but would they have committed the acts against her right there? Or did they dump her belongings (purse/phone) there, since they probably noticed her phone was being called non stop at this point. Then proceed with taking her to another destination? They would have taken her for a reason, I don't think they would bring her to GT and immediately murder her.

The comments about the investigation being like no other still dances through my mind. An abduction/sex crime/murder is relatively common in our country unfortunately.

Didn't her cell ping again the next day? I wonder if they brought her back to the cell phone location after they were finished with whatever they did to her. I remember reading in one of the articles a dectective saying "finding her phone is highly important." I just wonder if her body is in the same location as the phone. I wish we knew more about the area of interest.

Krista:
"**IF** this newest report is correct on the times, and Brittanee was texting in Myrtle Beach at 8:58pm, leaving BWR at 8:59pm, and her phone pings in Georgetown at 10:18pm, that means that she (her phone) went straight from MB to Georgetown and that the abduction took place very shortly after leaving the hotel..."

I agree... It takes a little over an hour (1hr-1hr15mins) (46 miles) to get from BW on Ocean blvd, to Pole Yard Way in Georgetown county. With that in mind - you are right, not much time to goof around, or make any lengthy stops.

in the question of high school kid vs adult - I am thinking adult.. I only say that because detectives have a way of breaking people down, and getting them to talk. USUALLY, it's much easier to break a teenager than an adult. I Would especially hope with a task force of 3 detectives, they should be able to get some info, especially out of a young adult.

Strato:
"I am doubting we have a way of knowing exactly which towers were pinged."

Actually we do, for at least one of the towers, it's not 100%, but I am pretty confident of the location of the tower in the "Georgetown-Charleston" county line... It's located right off hwy 17 on Six Mile Road....

I am feeling pretty good about the new time for the last text.. it makes everything fit together a little bit..

I wonder why JG kept saying 9:15 ... Unless he said it once, and then it propogated from there... gues we'll never know that one either...

in the question of high school kid vs adult - I am thinking adult.. I only say that because detectives have a way of breaking people down, and getting them to talk. USUALLY, it's much easier to break a teenager than an adult. I Would especially hope with a task force of 3 detectives, they should be able to get some info, especially out of a young adult.

SBM.

When you say high school kid v. adult, are you specifically referring to 14-18 v 19+? Or are you considering an adult to be older than that? Because I feel like this might be young adults (maybe 20-25ish). Not high school kids, but certainly not as mature as most people get. I say this because it seems to me that younger people are more likely to act in groups, while an older man is would probably act alone. Also, an older man probably wouldn't share his story with a few other people...

I did not know how to do a quote of my own post, but back in thread #8, I believe post #480 and 481, this was mentioned.

I had seen this being discussed over on another message board and a poster there had actually called the LE in that area and was awaiting a response back. That poster was told that LE "is unaware of the BD case in MB".

Seems unbelievable they would not know about BD. I found another video (see link below). There is another young girl who disappeared a couple years ago, Jamie Fraley, who also fit this description. They have still not released the findings of who they think this could be. One article says the body was "partially mummified", but yes the size, age and description do fit for BD, but there were also other bodies that had been found in that same general area in the past. Very interesting. My heart stopped when I saw that description. I think someone on WS did a google map of the route, say MB to NY, and it would have been way out of the way to go through there.
I do wish we could get more information about this.

Quote of thread #481 by Strawberry Fields: Here is a link with a video. I still do not think it is BD, but it really bothers me that these people don't appear to be protecting the area as a possible crime scene because it is definitely someone's child/loved one.

http://news14.com/triad-news-94-cont...ounty?ap=1&MP4

SBM.

When you say high school kid v. adult, are you specifically referring to 14-18 v 19+? Or are you considering an adult to be older than that? Because I feel like this might be young adults (maybe 20-25ish). Not high school kids, but certainly not as mature as most people get. I say this because it seems to me that younger people are more likely to act in groups, while an older man is would probably act alone. Also, an older man probably wouldn't share his story with a few other people...

kid (to me) 14 - 21
adult 22+

JMHO (Hope not to offend anyone)

ITA An adult would be more apt to keep his actions to himself, whereas a kid is going to probably tell his friends...

Something else that I just recalled that may contradict my original thought - When the new information was released a few weeks ago, I recall one of the detectives saying that, following the December tip, that they have gotten a bunch more tips that lead back to the same people. That sounds like kids...

Even with that in mind, I am still thinking adult, just because of the level of attention to detail needed to get away with something like this, for so long.

Sorry hlnoftry , but my link in above post did not work. I'll go over to that other message board and see if they have heard anything yet. Thanks much for finding this as I had totally forgotten about it. If you search for Jamie Fraley, her story is interesting and very touching as well. I posted over there when I saw the story but no one was actively posting on that case of late.

Try this link:
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/04/14/article/work_continues_to_id_woman_whose_bones_found

Part of the article reads:

“As far as the person who it is, we are running down some possible leads,” Powers said.

A full set of teeth were among the remains, he added, and they are being compared with dental charts. DNA might be used to help determine the identity.

An alert has been sent to law enforcement agencies in a 100-mile radius for leads , and investigators are combing through missing persons cases for possible matches"
Only a 100 mile radius??????

On the other message board (Not sure if I can mention that board or quote from it here) someone said that information regarding BD had been forwarded to the LE working on identifying these human remains.

I feel pretty confident this is not BD, or I think they would know by now with the information they have been provided.

I dont post often but I do keep up with the case. I am curious as to why the persons of interest have not been named. In most cases persons of interest are named especially when lie detectors and search warrants have been exectued. Why are they keeping the names quiet? Is it out of courtesy? Could these 3-4 POI's have family in law enorcement

kid (to me) 14 - 21
adult 22+

... I am still thinking adult, just because of the level of attention to detail needed to get away with something like this, for so long.

The only thing that makes me think that this person isn't an experienced criminal is the phone.
That phone should/would have been thrown out immediately. The fact that it remained on throughout the hour long drive...and even into the next day...says that the perp may have forgotten that detail. But, if we're talking about an experienced criminal, then--as Doc suggested--he may have left it on to throw people off...to take them in another direction entirely.
I think we're dealing with a young adult as well...someone at least 18 or older...someone with a record, but not necessarily a sexual offense. Burglary, gun charges, something that takes planning, something that's gutsy. I agree with you that a teenager would have been talking by now. That MAY explain some of the tips they've been getting...maybe one of them was a teen. But the 'ring leader' was, most likely, an adult who has managed to keep the others quiet for a decent amount of time.

On Doc's early discussion of the phone location, I'm really torn. On one hand, I think the perp didn't realize she had the phone until an hour into the trip...and then threw it out the window or placed it somewhere alongside the road. On the other hand, if that phone isn't on her body or on his property, I don't see how they tie anyone to the phone. If they find it in the national forest, for example, that doesn't do anything to lead us to Brittanee or her killer/abductor. I'm praying that LE has been saying that the phone is important because they have been given information that tells them that Brittanee is with the phone.

I wonder what happened in early December to make someone start talking. Wonder if we could find arrests in Georgetown for that time period.

I dont post often but I do keep up with the case. I am curious as to why the persons of interest have not been named. In most cases persons of interest are named especially when lie detectors and search warrants have been exectued. Why are they keeping the names quiet? Is it out of courtesy? Could these 3-4 POI's have family in law enorcement

Pure speculation, but here are some thoughts:

1) They don't want these POIs to know they're onto them. perhaps to keep them from leaving town.

2) The POIs are minors

3) They don't want any vigilante justice on these people

4) To prevent a racially influenced riot

5) They're don't want to spoil the case before they have enough evidence for a conviction. Remember an arrest without enough evidence is useless..

6) They're blowing smoke at us, and they really don't have anyone in mind.

They would have taken her for a reason, I don't think they would bring her to GT and immediately murder her.

The comments about the investigation being like no other still dances through my mind. An abduction/sex crime/murder is relatively common in our country unfortunately.

Sadly, I think murder was the final part of the plan only because they couldn't just let her go after what they planned to do to her.
I'd forgotten about the LE comments...scary stuff, IMHO. I was reading about an earlier case in Georgetown that made me shiver. About a man who kept two teen girls as his sex slaves in a self-made dungeon. I'm fairly certain that Brittanee is somewhere in Georgetown county. I'm not certain that she passed away that same night and I'm not at all certain that she is still with her phone.

Perchance they are protecting the POIs identities to protect them from the perp?

I guess this would only work in the event the POIs had nothing to do with this and are simply witnesses or people who have been told info.

1) They don't want these POIs to know they're onto them. perhaps to keep them from leaving town.

2) The POIs are minors

5) They're don't want to spoil the case before they have enough evidence for a conviction. Remember an arrest without enough evidence is useless..

7) They're hoping one or more of the POI's panics and goes back to the scene.

Was it said that two of the POI's have been given polygraphs?? Or was that just two people who came forward with information?

Personally, I think LE doesn't have enough evidence. I think they don't have a crime scene or anything to connect these POI's to Brittanee. They have statements and a basic overview of what happened, but they will need physical evidence to get a conviction. I think they're just waiting for someone to break or do something incriminating. You'll notice that LE keeps saying 'we've almost got everything we need' but that the arrest may take a year or more to happen. LE has got to get one of these guys to go back to the scene or somehow get them to spill on each other to save themselves. IMHO.

Personally, I think LE doesn't have enough evidence.

ITA .. solely relying on statements won't cut it with a jury... need a body, OR some other phsyical evidence to tie it all together...

IRCC LE stated that it was indeed 2 of the POIs who were subjected to polygraphs.

Why? They needed (some) verification these folks are telling the truth.

Why? Perhaps because the POIs are using their knowledge of this crime to cut a deal on some other crime they are guilty of; this would make sense if they are simply witnesses. OR if they did in fact participate in one way or another and they want to minimize their punishment.

One other note, if they were witnesses and they were intimidated or threatened by the perp, it would seem logical that LE would use the polygraph to verify their story before offering any type of protection.
^^What LLLindsay said :)

The only thing that makes me think that this person isn't an experienced criminal is the phone.
That phone should/would have been thrown out immediately. The fact that it remained on throughout the hour long drive...and even into the next day...says that the perp may have forgotten that detail. But, if we're talking about an experienced criminal, then--as Doc suggested--he may have left it on to throw people off...to take them in another direction entirely.
I think we're dealing with a young adult as well...someone at least 18 or older...someone with a record, but not necessarily a sexual offense. Burglary, gun charges, something that takes planning, something that's gutsy. I agree with you that a teenager would have been talking by now. That MAY explain some of the tips they've been getting...maybe one of them was a teen. But the 'ring leader' was, most likely, an adult who has managed to keep the others quiet for a decent amount of time.

On Doc's early discussion of the phone location, I'm really torn. On one hand, I think the perp didn't realize she had the phone until an hour into the trip...and then threw it out the window or placed it somewhere alongside the road. On the other hand, if that phone isn't on her body or on his property, I don't see how they tie anyone to the phone. If they find it in the national forest, for example, that doesn't do anything to lead us to Brittanee or her killer/abductor. I'm praying that LE has been saying that the phone is important because they have been given information that tells them that Brittanee is with the phone.

I wonder what happened in early December to make someone start talking. Wonder if we could find arrests in Georgetown for that time period.

Also remember the police said they all live in this area. If they were waiting at the BW hotel, GT county had to be point B. As we know they didn't waste anytime going there. Once they arrived in GT county I am fairly certain they took her to a location a house or something. (Remember the police said they had enough to excute a search warrant.) Was it then someone told them to get rid of her phone/belongings by throwing them in the river, or did they do it shortly after they got into the county. I do agree with you once they arrived in GT county someone else was involved, maybe someone smarter or older. It would make sense why they are saying 3 to 4 POI's.

I know we have been saying this area is the hot spot but it seems like we are getting closer to putting together a solid location.

2) The POIs are minors

I am going with 2-5.

1.) They have to know there onto them with the polygraphs (someone is talking) and with all the information they have put out into the media. I also think the police are aware it is not easy for them to skip town. Then again that won't neccesarily help, once they get enough info they can square out a warrant either way. I also think they want them to turn on each other.

6.) If they are blowing smoke... they are lieing to Dawn and the National media. I just don't seem them lieing after they said they believe this is a homicide. A strategic lie could have been in place... but after the homicide part came out I just don't see it.

In response to the question if kids could commit this kind of crime, i'm going to have to strongly say yes. I work in a NYS juvenile prison with the worst of the worst, most of these juveniles will go on to adult prisons to finish out there life sentences. I have heard in detail about there crimes and how they planned and executed and even the spontaneous crimes. The sex offenders are extremely intelligent and almost always have there crimes planned out. I met a 14 year old who had 20 documented cases of rape charged against him it took forever for law enforcement to finally catch up to him. Personally i feel very strongly that any juvenile could've committed a crime against Brittanee

I wonder if she went into the car voluntarily because a girl was in the car. She sees maybe 2-3 guys and a girl? She felt safe. Maybe the guy is driving a convertible, a real hot looking car??? So she gets in? With the music blasting shes shuts off her cell?? They bring the girl home and they wait for her outside so Brit turns on a cell phone checking to see if anyone called her? The girl comes outside and says she is not allowed out so they take off...Brittany is now alone with 2-3 guys.

Theres been so many scenarios in my mind....but I could see this one clearly happening. Thanx for letting me vent....

Personally i feel very strongly that any juvenile could've committed a crime against Brittanee

Very good point... TFS

based on the (little) info we have on BD's case, what are your thoughts? on the perp's age range, for example...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme