SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We still need the video to back up what Leon Lott is saying - otherwise he's just talking.

If she was resisting arrest was this justified?

JUST NOW on CNN Sheriff Leon Lott said there is a 3rd video that shows the girl punching the officer---

RSBM

[video=youtube;Br6wGFqz-PI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6wGFqz-PI[/video]

It looks like she was punching the side of his head...

Eta : Very annoying to have the races of the people listed on this YT vid. Imo, this was about a disobedient student -- not about nationality. In the video, it appears the teacher is African-Am. What, is he prejudiced, too ? I think not. He asked her to hand over her phone and she refused.
If she'd obeyed , there would've been no need to call in the assistant principal ,and the principal , AND the deputy.

If the school board decides no more law enforcement in schools -- what are they going to do if the students cannot be controlled ?
:moo:

I guess some feel that if a student refuses to follow the rules the school should be evacuated & a negotiating team brought in to defuse & resolve the conflict. That's fine with me. If the taxpayers want to pay for this service its okay with me.

I guess some feel that if a student refuses to follow the rules the school should be evacuated & a negotiating team brought in to defuse & resolve the conflict. That's fine with me. If the taxpayers want to pay for this service its okay with me.

Who is saying that? Do you have a link? Sounds just as extreme and disruptive, IMO.

Good grief - she punches or whatever she's doing after the cop grabs her. Nothing wrong with that. Him grabbing her like that first could be why he's on leave.

Officer slam?

Looks like he has already touched her.

So that means she's defending herself, assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, or.... ?
Just going off what you said earlier and trying to work it out. Thanks.

The courts have been very clear on this. A police officer has to have reasonable articulable suspicion the person has committed a crime or is about to commit a crime before they can detain or arrest you.

The courts have also said a person must have reason to believe they are under arrest for any resistance to arrest to be made.

Since she was not committing a crime that I know of, and she doesn't appear to think he had cause to place her under arrest it means she could not have been resisting in the first place. Everyone had the right to self defense even against a police officer.

You can also strike first in defence if you are in fear of your own safety.

It is a 'crime' for the student to refuse to leave the classroom when asked by the vice principal and the deputy. She can be arrested for refusing to do so.

The officer had the legal right to force her to leave.

Have not seen that here so far, but you might be right in the overall scheme of what others think. Then again maybe not. Not sure.

Good grief - she punches or whatever she's doing after the cop grabs her. Nothing wrong with that. Him grabbing her like that first could be why he's on leave.

Officer slam?

What has the student been charged with?

Why couldn't the sheriff wait until class was over rather than disrupt a place where students are learning?
Confronting/approaching her when she left class was out of the question? Seems pretty quiet on the video - I know, I know, one should not jump to conclusions when watching a video of a real event - just ask any police chief or their spokesperson.

1. Why not wait? Because teacher & vice -prin. asked her to get off phone/stop talking/being disruptive, before getting LEO/SRO. And how can students learn subject matter when one is talking on phone? She's the one disrupting, preventing other students from learning and teacher from teaching.

2. Seems pretty quiet? Yes, but vid is edited.* Did anyone here see or know what happened before vid shown?
IDK -
- how long student was talking/disruptive before teacher addressed her.
- how many times teacher asked/instructed/ordered.
- how long that took.
- how long it took for vice prin to come to classroom.

- how many times vice prin asked/instructed/ordered.
- how long that took.
- how long it took for LEO/SRO to come to classroom.

- how many times LEO/SRO asked/instructed/ordered.
- how long that took.
- how long LEO/SRO waited before he started to take phys steps.
Anyone have vid showing events for entire class period, preceding LEO/SRO at student desk? How long was class disrupted?

Many factors IDK about this.
- F
irst time in school yr this student disrupted class? Second, or tenth time? Why not stop talking (get off phone)?
- Maybe this teacher, this vice-prin, this LEO/SRO are all sadistic bullies, maybe to this student only, maybe to entire student body. IDK.

How much cumulative time of teacher, vice-prin, and other (~15 to 30?) students can be wasted, while one student disrupts class, prevents learning? 5 min? 10 min? 20 min? Maybe entire class period?

Not saying LEO/SRO's method of throwing/dragging student was approp but (appeared to me) taking steps to physically remove student from classroom may have been/was warranted. IDK. All JM2cts.

vid starts only when LEO/SRO isalready by desk asking/telling her (apparently) to stand or get out of desk-chair, at least in this link http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...puty-on-leave-after-forceful-classroom-arrest and other vids I watched.

Have not seen that here so far, but you might be right in the overall scheme of what others think. Then again maybe not. Not sure.

I for one am not okay paying cops to beat up students in classrooms. Other options should be investigated, JMO. Never saw this happen once in 12 years of public school.

Perhaps the better avenue would be for teachers to stop thinking they are the Lord of their own fiefdom and learn to treat every student with respect. Tell the student why taking on the phone is not beneficial to her or conducive to the learning environment, then politely request she put the phone away or step into the hallway.

Threatening to steal a student's phone and then finding a bully with a badge to threaten her further is not conducive to the learning environment either.

The break down of respect goes both ways.

Who is saying that? Do you have a link? Sounds just as extreme and disruptive, IMO.

I thought that was your idea?

"Right? Why not send all the other students out first? Why not talk to her and de-escalate? "

Whatever happened to respect for authority? Do parents just not teach their children that anymore? I know I posed a question, but I really don't want any responses. Thank you!

I for one am not okay paying cops to beat up students in classrooms. Other options should be investigated, JMO. Never saw this happen once in 12 years of public school.

What also bothered me was the way the other students weren't even phased.
In my public school years we would all been saying "Suzie put your phone away."
Peer pressure would gave got this sorted without an officer.

What also bothered me was the way the other students weren't even phased.
In my public school years we would all been saying "Suzie put your phone away."
Peer pressure would gave got this sorted without an officer.

I just thought of that - obviously some of them hadn't put away their cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue