SC - Columbia - Sheriff Slams Female Student to Floor In Class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not because rules are so draconian in public schools.

But the short attention spans may have to do with spending 5+ hours per day in front of TV programs that have added so many commercials they now sometimes feature barely 2 minutes of content before taking another ad break. And kids sit in front of laptops where an endless assortment of pop ups appear to clamor for their attention. Unless they are playing video games, where a short attention span is actually rewarded with points for killing the most cartoon characters. And like all teens since the beginning of time, there are the raging hormones and constant concern with how they appear to others.

I know you don't think my experience is relevant, but I did teach students from all over the country, so I'm not just talking about the products of one state or school system. And I promise you they thought having to write more than 5 pages on any subject was a special form of torture entirely new to their experience.

So whatever would they spend "Independent Study" time doing? If it were writing 20-page papers (i.e., more in-depth, not longer just to be longer), I'm all for it!

I agree with the technology/screen time argument (sent from my ipad, lol) but I would also submit that the "factory model" is greatly responsible for the sad state of our education system.

You asked for my opinion. In my opinion, when the teacher reprimanded a new student in front of the whole class, he had already lost.

Snipped for space.

Thank you. If all teachers, or even a majority, approached students like this, our society would be so much better off. Bless you, and may your example inspire others in your profession.

[Disclaimer: This isn't a jab at teachers. My mother is a retired teacher, and there are many teachers in my extended family. So I well know that being a good one demands a certain set of skills and talents that not everyone in the profession possesses.]

Maybe it's one of those unwritten rules. But here's your quote and link.

benfieldsspringvalleyhighschoolsouthcarolina.gif

http://heavy.com/news/2015/10/ben-f...odybuilder-cop-student-desk-video-complaints/

I just think this guy is a bully. That video is horrific. :(. Of course someone is going to claim it's faked. :rolleyes:

This poor girl is a victim and a minor and still people are bashing her on WS, you know, victim FRIENDLY Websleuths.

I get it. But what I dont get is why you are "training" that in a classroom.
I did summer stock. You dont pee during a live performance if you can at all help it.
But when doing dress rehearsal for hours on end it is ridiculous to claim you need to be on stage having to pee.

If your boss wont let you leave your desk to pee or eat then you have a lawsuit.

Guard duty? They can pee. If in a situation where there is no other soldier to relieve them off duty then they go in a can.

Really you are trying to justify some ridiculous university rule that was instituted because they couldn't think of a more appropriate response to freshman clowning around with absurd hypothetical scenarios...

Can you really NOT understand that some plays are longer than an hour and have no intermission? That actors, techs, and stage managers are on stage or on deck for all of that time?

Can you really NOT understand that some costumes are so complicated that film actors may have to go HALF A DAY without urinating, because the get-up doesn't allow it?

That people in retail cover an area of merchandise or a purchase window and are not allowed to leave their area until their scheduled replacement arrives? How about soldiers on guard duty?

That many of us work under deadlines that don't allow us to leave our desks for long periods of time?

That some bosses aren't as forgiving as yours, that those who walk out on meetings may be remembered when it is time for a promotion?

Can you really NOT understand that unless an adult is very ill, s/he can control when s/he urinates by going beforehand, drinking one less cup of coffee for breakfast, etc.?

Yes, emergencies happen and I confess I have allowed a student to leave when he or she said it was absolutely necessary. And no I didn't interrogate him or even ask why, I just took the student at his/her word. But nobody thought I was such a fool that s/he could get away with it every week. So I didn't have a continual stream of people wandering in and out of our discussion.

I just think this guy is a bully. That video is horrific. :(. Of course someone is going to claim it's faked. :rolleyes:

This poor girl is a victim and a minor and still people are bashing her on WS, you know, victim FRIENDLY Websleuths.

He must be so proud of himself.

I'm still not seeing where she punches him in the head.

You and I think she's a victim and a minor, but I guess we're wrong. I'm just thankful her name hasn't been released. Imagine the posts we'd be seeing then? :(

That video doesn't show the extent of the brutality -- that video ends before he throws her towards the door.

I get that culture is somewhat to blame but aren't kids required anymore to learn how to self study and focus and apply themselves?

How are they going to function in a career when their boss says he wants this project done by Friday and there is no further instruction on how to go about it?

Kids seem able to focus on texts, what Kardashian is wearing what and who is dating whom. They certainly can learn to focus on their school work.

My experience (and I retired about 10 years ago) is that they read very passively, if at all. I ended up making students outline their traditional textbook. (I avoided such tomes as a rule, but it wasn't possible when teaching World Theater History.) I thought it was pretty condescending and I hated to do it, but THEY complained that they would read a chapter and not remember a thing.

They do fine with very short bursts of text. Twitter allows what, 140 characters or so? About 2 lines? They seem okay with that, but seem mesmerized by a full page of typewritten text.

This is really OT, but I found it interesting today that commentators were focussed on Marco Rubio saying to Jeb Bush: "You aren't going to help yourself by attacking me." Now Bush was questioning Rubio's commitment to public service, based on his poor attendance record in the Senate. The snarky reply was nothing but questionable campaign advice.

But 20- and 30-something TV commentators were all talking about how Rubio "won" a point he hadn't even addressed! God help us!

You and I think she's a victim and a minor, but I guess we're wrong. I'm just thankful her name hasn't been released. Imagine the posts we'd be seeing then? :(

Well, she is no Hannah Anderson. Or Hannah Thomas Garner. If she were, there would be very few posts left.

Nova,

Question:
Why do you care if there are people coming and going out of your discussion?
I speak at seminars, conferences, in front of legislatures and people come and go all the time.
I learned not to get distracted and not to take it personally.
If they are missing something crucial then they miss it. Not my problem.

It also isn't disruptive to others if done quietly and without attention being drawn to it.

My experience (and I retired about 10 years ago) is that they read very passively, if at all. I ended up making students outline their traditional textbook. (I avoided such tomes as a rule, but it wasn't possible when teaching World Theater History.) I thought it was pretty condescending and I hated to do it, but THEY complained that they would read a chapter and not remember a thing.

They do fine with very short bursts of text. Twitter allows what, 140 characters or so? About 2 lines? They seem okay with that, but seem mesmerized by a full page of typewritten text.

This is really OT, but I found it interesting today that commentators were focussed on Marco Rubio saying to Jeb Bush: "You aren't going to help yourself by attacking me." Now Bush was questioning Rubio's commitment to public service, based on his poor attendance record in the Senate. The snarky reply was nothing but questionable campaign advice.

But 20- and 30-something TV commentators were all talking about how Rubio "won" a point he hadn't even addressed! God help us!

Senator Rubio is no Jack Kennedy.

;)

I get it. But what I dont get is why you are "training" that in a classroom.
I did summer stock. You dont pee during a live performance if you can at all help it.
But when doing dress rehearsal for hours on end it is ridiculous to claim you need to be on stage having to pee.

If your boss wont let you leave your desk to pee or eat then you have a lawsuit.

Guard duty? They can pee. If in a situation where there is no other soldier to relieve them off duty then they go in a can.

Really you are trying to justify some ridiculous university rule that was instituted because they couldn't think of a more appropriate response to freshman clowning around with absurd hypothetical scenarios...

That simply isn't true. The rules weren't invented by some arch-villain, plotting from his lair in Devil's Mountain. They were instituted specifically to deal with real-life problems experienced by faculty with many years of teaching. (I was not involved.)

And I'll grant you that I was appalled at first. But through actual experience, I came to see the benefits.

And why not train them at 18? We should wait until they're 35?

Actor's Equity allows a 5-minute break every hour. We allowed a 15-minute break every 90 minutes. FWIW, I didn't personally decide "when they could pee". The break was the same time every morning and I followed the same rule the students did.

My point is that there is something to be said for discipline in education. Which does NOT include corporal punishment or assault and battery.

I think we aren't expecting enough from kids today. They can get away with claiming they can't remember something. Heck we give trophies if they show up.

Our expectations for students and their teachers need to be raised.

That video doesn't show the extent of the brutality -- that video ends before he throws her towards the door.

I'm still waiting on the third video, the one that features her wailing on him. The one that makes it clear he was merely trying to defend himself. Or something.

You would stop teaching the class and go call the child's parent or caregiver? Who does that benefit?

The speech you have prepared for the parent or caregiver seems passive-aggressive to me, and I doubt it would be effective or helpful. You've put the parent on the defensive right from the get go, as if he or she was somehow in on what the student did.

And physically forcing someone to do something isn't a dignity violation. It's assault.

JMO.

eta: Are you a teacher?

Nope, not anymore! I would notify an administrator or secretary to make the call. It's a necessary evil as people are uncomfortable with the idea of teachers administering consequences, but most still agree that it is ok for parents to do so.

Nova,

Question:
Why do you care if there are people coming and going out of your discussion?
I speak at seminars, conferences, in front of legislatures and people come and go all the time.
I learned not to get distracted and not to take it personally.
If they are missing something crucial then they miss it. Not my problem.

It also isn't disruptive to others if done quietly and without attention being drawn to it.

Because I do care that 18-year-olds get a good education. That their understanding of Aristotle (huge in our field) is dictated by critical thinking of his ideas in context and not by when they and their best friends decided to use the powder room.

I also care because maybe that student in the bathroom has something more important than I to add to the discussion. And we all miss it because she isn't in the room.

And, also, I would frequently promise a student I would get to his question in "just a few minutes" and then sometimes find--before we had the system--that he wasn't in the room when I got there.

Some see her trying to punch him in the head.
I see her arms flailing around, probably in instinctive self-defense, as he puts his arm around her neck and throws her backwards.

I think we aren't expecting enough from kids today. They can get away with claiming they can't remember something. Heck we give trophies if they show up.

Our expectations for students and their teachers need to be raised.

I agree. But I had a responsibility there, too. And part of that was ensuring they had the best environment possible for learning. It really wasn't the power trip it may seem here.

That simply isn't true. The rules weren't invented by some arch-villain, plotting from his lair in Devil's Mountain. They were instituted specifically to deal with real-life problems experienced by faculty with many years of teaching. (I was not involved.)

And I'll , I came to see the benefits.

And why not train them at 18? We should wait until they're 35?

Actor's Equity allows a 5-minute break every hour. We allowed at 15-minute break every 90 minutes. FWIW, I didn't personally decide "when they could pee". The break was the same time every morning and I followed the same rule the students did.

My point is that there is something to be said for discipline in education. Which does NOT include corporal punishment or assault and battery.

My point is by the time they are in college they shouldn't be told when to take a potty break. If they are abusing the break you would fire them in the real world right?

The other banner is for Goodyear tires. I have neither searched online for tires nor preggers game app girls. I suspect the Illuminati. And now I suspect YOU. :gasp:
Lol
Pretty sure my tin foil hat keeps the lizard people away.
Right now I have an ad for pull ups diapers on my side bar. Probably because I keep typing pee over and over.

Some see her trying to punch him in the head.
I see her arms flailing around, probably in instinctive self-defense, as he puts his arm around her neck and throws her backwards.

When he initiated physical contact with her, he had essentially trapped her in her desk. Even if she'd wanted to get out, she couldn't. That forced her into a fight or flight situation, and she had no way to escape (the seat was fixed to the desk, and can only be entered/exited from one side), so faced with a threat as she was, I think it's a pretty primal instinct/reflex to strike at the threat to push it away.

What's more, I'm sure he was absolutely aware that he had her trapped. That is a man who should never be around children, or, for that matter, women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed