SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
*snipped a little

Thanks for this information. I was wondering where exactly he lived in connection to where supposedly DD trying to walk to that night.

I don’t know if I understand all the focus on Lott in your post. Do you think he was part of the narcotics informer rumor/theory that was protecting an informer. He certainly was a glitzy guy back then and there is no doubt he likes the spotlight. But I can’t imagine he would have been holding back all these years, hiding stuff on this case. I can’t imagine a bigger spotlight than the one that will shine on whoever is sheriff and announces an arrest in this case.

I definitely think he could be protecting informer. The link in the above post sheds some questionable light on his actions in the past. I have no facts specifically so it is just speculation. There could be plenty of reasons to hide this case...I believe "donnie" said this case would open the door to other cases. That is quite a statement and broad so it could include any "shady" dealings. It sounds like he was fired for a shady situation he had in 1991...this all happened in 1992...coincidence?

Who knows where Dail was walking to that night; not a lot of her actions really add up to the type of woman she was. However, it is quite interesting that he lived so close to them. Could she have just been another victim of his? He got released awfully quickly which is suspicious...maybe he has connections high up?

Maybe this was a random kidnapping but I would just think someone would have snitched at some point. I am sure it wasn't their first kidnapping (if that's what it was), so they may have ended up in jail and started talking. The lack of information regarding the case just make me weary.

Last edited:
Just bouncing off some thoughts and answers to the above:

Harry Gregory lived a 4 minute drive and about a 10-15 min walk from Dail's parents' house.

Leon Lott started with the Richland County Sheriff's Department in 1975 and worked his way up. He left Richland County in 1993* and served as Chief of Police in St. Matthews, SC for a couple of years. He successfully ran for Richland County Sheriff in 1996 and has been the Sheriff ever since. His profile on the RCSD website says that between 1975 and 1993 he served in various positions, including "Criminal Investigator, Narcotics Agent, Lieutenant and Captain of Narcotics Division, Administrative Captain, Uniform Patrol Captain, and Watch Commander." I'd guess he was in one of those positions prior to taking the job in St. Matthew's. I've read a lot about him working Narcotics and being heavily involved in that prior to becoming Sheriff, but I saw this quote in the article* linked below:

"Harpootlian was so concerned about Lott's judgment at the time that he announced he would review all his drug deals and recommended to Sloan that Lott be taken out of narcotics enforcement. Sloan moved him to what Lott calls a do-nothing administrative position, where he stayed until he was fired in December 1992."*

*Sheriff Lott back in the day

By the way, it's not available anywhere online in a simple list, so here are all the Richland County Sheriffs from the last 50 years:

Frank Powell (served as sheriff from 1969-1988, died in 2001)
Allen Sloan (served as Sheriff from 1989-1995, also died in 2001)
Leon Lott (1996-present)

BTW: The last I heard, Andrew Dinwiddie was living in the Atlanta area.

Thank you for the information!! That article about Lott is quite interesting. Hmm Sloan is dead...I believe "donnie" mentions "talking to Sloan" because he may know more...but that was posted long after he died.

I dug around after my original post and found some more information.

What was Leon Lotts’ job in 1992?
Any connection to Gregory?
Any connection to narcs?
Narcotics Agent
Chief of Narcotins Division
1993- Chief of Police of St.Mathews
*Which is all mentioned above in the response along with more good information.

Wando street was mentioned
By donnieatlex
Donnieatlex says this guy was an informant for Richland, Lexington, and Horry County narcotics
Suspected man’s mom lives on Wando

Old tunnel system under Five Points?
Name was spelled wrong “Dale”- significance?
Myspace Willie comments?

Old tunnel system under Five Points? Name was spelled wrong “Dale”- significance?

Myspace Willie comments? Makes a comment about Edisto Ave being the most beautiful place? Apparently, it runs parallel to Harden He mentions Waccamaw being a close second.
Apparently, that is between Harden and Edisto. Significance? How far to Wando? Could this guy know the narcs informant?

The myspace and Donnie articles say “page not found.” Anyone else able to find them? Donnieatlex stated that he was told they would never find her because they were getting ready to pour concrete over her. Prominent position in CPD with political connections. Conversation was Christmas 1992; at a family gathering She did get a ride. He spoke with Kristen Foundation. Past articles around this time frame? He talked to detective…who was the detective on the case in 2014? Mark Vinson…

Any chance Harry Gregory was a narcotics informant back then? I wonder...

I have wondered the same thing...let’s see what we can find! Even if he had a job that had ties to the narcotics division.

I don’t know how you gather up all your info, but you’re awfully good at it!
My thoughts on HG perhaps being a drug informant is apparently back then he liked to hang out in college bars, which I think is strange for a thirty something professional. Seems like you would want to upgrade the bars in your life at that point.

Haha thank you! I just read every article I could find on Dail and comments. When I heard about this case, it just bugged me that people seemed content with “oh she disappeared in thin air.” No, people don’t just vanish. I really hope someone can find her and bring peace to her family.

I couldn’t find much on HG but I’ll have to keep digging. He was an attorney for insurance, litigation, workers comp before working for State Accident Fund. None of those scream obvious connections.

However, like you pointed out, it’s very fishy he hung out at college bars. It would be interesting to find early articles or comments from people to see who he associated with back then!

Just bouncing off some thoughts and answers to the above:

Harry Gregory lived a 4 minute drive and about a 10-15 min walk from Dail's parents' house.

Leon Lott started with the Richland County Sheriff's Department in 1975 and worked his way up. He left Richland County in 1993* and served as Chief of Police in St. Matthews, SC for a couple of years. He successfully ran for Richland County Sheriff in 1996 and has been the Sheriff ever since. His profile on the RCSD website says that between 1975 and 1993 he served in various positions, including "Criminal Investigator, Narcotics Agent, Lieutenant and Captain of Narcotics Division, Administrative Captain, Uniform Patrol Captain, and Watch Commander." I'd guess he was in one of those positions prior to taking the job in St. Matthew's. I've read a lot about him working Narcotics and being heavily involved in that prior to becoming Sheriff, but I saw this quote in the article* linked below:

"Harpootlian was so concerned about Lott's judgment at the time that he announced he would review all his drug deals and recommended to Sloan that Lott be taken out of narcotics enforcement. Sloan moved him to what Lott calls a do-nothing administrative position, where he stayed until he was fired in December 1992."*

*Sheriff Lott back in the day

By the way, it's not available anywhere online in a simple list, so here are all the Richland County Sheriffs from the last 50 years:

Frank Powell (served as sheriff from 1969-1988, died in 2001)
Allen Sloan (served as Sheriff from 1989-1995, also died in 2001)
Leon Lott (1996-present)

BTW: The last I heard, Andrew Dinwiddie was living in the Atlanta area.
Wanted to correct one minor detail: The Dinwiddie's home back in 1992 was a .2 mile walk from HGs home - would take 4 minutes to walk (even shorter as the crow flies), and less than a minute to drive. Her family still lives in the same neighborhood but moved to a different home in 2005 which is a little longer of a walk and would match your numbers. I feel like it's highly likely she was familiar to HG, through the neighborhood being in such close proximity or even through the 5 Points scene. HGs lived in his home since 1991.

Does anyone happen to know if he had any work done on his property around the time or shortly after she went missing?

Does anyone here know if the fact that her radio and light were on in her room meant that she could have made it home then left out again? I haven't been able to find out if she left her room that way, or if it could mean she could've come back then went back out.

Wanted to correct one minor detail: The Dinwiddie's home back in 1992 was a .2 mile walk from HGs home - would take 4 minutes to walk (even shorter as the crow flies), and less than a minute to drive. Her family still lives in the same neighborhood but moved to a different home in 2005 which is a little longer of a walk and would match your numbers. I feel like it's highly likely she was familiar to HG, through the neighborhood being in such close proximity or even through the 5 Points scene. HGs lived in his home since 1991.

Does anyone happen to know if he had any work done on his property around the time or shortly after she went missing?

Does anyone here know if the fact that her radio and light were on in her room meant that she could have made it home then left out again? I haven't been able to find out if she left her room that way, or if it could mean she could've come back then went back out.

I couldn’t find a whole lot of HG to be honest so I have no clue!

Yeah, based on your numbers it seems like they would have crossed paths!

I think I read somewhere that she often did that but I couldn’t find out if she did for sure. Lots of details missing.

If we could figure out if he had work done on his house around that time, maybe we could find out when they laid concrete on the state building on the corner of Hampton and Harden...

Reading through a few of these I thought I would weigh in. I grew up with Dail. Went to Heathwood with her all the way through. Spent the night at each others houses. So I can safely tell you she did not live in Shandon. She lived off Gervais in the well to do neighborhood Stratford Rd. Cambridge Ln., Canterbury Rd. area. It has been so long, I cannot recall if that neighborhood even has a name. I left Columbia the year before this all happened and have lived on the West Coast ever since, but have followed it like I would follow finding someone that killed one of my sisters!

The neighborhood is significant because if you know a thing about 5-Points you know she would never have wanted to walk from there to where she lived off Gervais because she would have had to walk agacent to Melrose Heights, then past the Waverly area. At that time it was not safe though edges of it were begining to be gentrified. I recall avoiding it - and her neighborhood had mansions with one street over shacks. Concentric circles of how Columbia grew; wealthy with poor on the edges, then the wealthy move outside of those edges and the poor outside of that and so on until you have rings of this - it is very evident in Columbia up to the river.

Nonetheless Dail would not have walked, she would have called her parents. That is the kind of girl she was. Dail would NEVER, hear me, NOT EVER have gotten in the car with someone she did not know, nor would she have gotten in the car with someone she knew slightly or may have just met. Dail would not have gotten in the car with someone she had just met from the Graduate program she had just been accepted into either.

Dail was untouchable. She was a debutante. She only dated guys that came from finest of families. She was a lovely person, nobody would ever say she wasn't. But please understand she was not going to date a boy that did not run in her circle - if you knew her, you would understand. But I say this to illustrate that if she accepted a ride, she knew the person and knew them well. If the ride offerer were a man...

For the snatch and grab theorists; If somebody tried to snatch Dail, she would have screamed so bloody loud, her parents over on Stratford would have heard her. There would have been so many people that remembered the screaming girl.

In terms of drinking and leaving a purse etc. Dail was tiny, I'm talking 90 lbs soaking wet. Too much alcohol would have for sure made anybody that size drunk. A purse, like a clutch style is the kind of thing we all would have had back then - or a small cross body she might have taken off. They are easily laid on a bar - and they are easily stolen too. Consider that she did not misplace it but that when she turned to look for it, someone had taken it? That for any girl, would cause panic. It would also make it difficult to... call her parents should she need a ride. This is what I believe is the crux of the story.

She went looking for her friends to take her home. She could not find them. She may have thought they picked up her purse... she may have thought many things. At this point all we know is she walks out into the night and vanishes. In my heart, because I knew this person, I believe someone she knew and knew well picked her up. Something went terribly wrong. Maybe they went back to his/her house. Maybe he/she lived in her neighborhood? Maybe it was an old friend? Maybe he/she accidentally killed her? Maybe he/she thinks "what have I done" after hurting her and kills her? Maybe that person is powerful and yes as all of you have said there was a cover up. A sports person from USC is entirely too pedestrian for someone like Dail and frankly that is hardly worth a cover up. I would think bigger - a judges son/daughter, a senators son/daughter, some other powerfull type person.

I say he/she above because everyone assumes this is a man. Has nobody considered that someone that might have given her a ride was a woman? A woman that hated her? She aslo could have decided to walk and got hit by a car and that person could have put her in their car and done something with her when they realized they'd killed her. I stand firm that she would never walk to her house so I think it is possible she walked to another destination. Possibly gone to any number of friends that lived on or near campus - in a direction she may have considered safer.

Anyway, I hope my additional thoughts are helpful for those of you that enjoy sluething. I too would love to see Jean and Dan have answers - my parents went to school with them and we've know them forever. My parents are gone now and I worry that her parents will never know and that just guts me. I also think, "there but for the grace of God..." I think about Dail often.

FYI - the case has been covered on many unsolved tv shows over the years - Unsolved Mysteries, Dateline etc. Leon Lott the Sheriff has made it his pet cause since day one and he has never stopped working on it - he has chased after many people they thought were involved including a serial killer that went to USC at the same time that ended up killing several women in GA (he claims he did not kill Dail - even with all I said, it is possible he did! Ray Rivera is his name). U2 has even talked about it at their concerts over the years. Just because it is not in the paper all the time, do not think for a second that it is not getting attention. But it would be helpful if someone thinks that a true crime podcast show would cover it - wishing does not make it so - if I could wish, I would wish this never happened! So do not rhetorically say people do not do enough - you have NO IDEA how much has been done with this case. If you want more done voluteer to do more.

Last edited:
Reading through a few of these I thought I would weigh in. I grew up with Dail. Went to Heathwood with her all the way through. Spent the night at each others houses. So I can safely tell you she did not live in Shandon. She lived off Gervais in the well to do neighborhood Stratford Rd. Cambridge Ln., Canterbury Rd. area. It has been so long, I cannot recall if that neighborhood even has a name. I left Columbia the year before this all happened and have lived on the West Coast ever since, but have followed it like I would follow finding someone that killed one of my sisters!

The neighborhood is significant because if you know a thing about 5-Points you know she would never have wanted to walk from there to where she lived off Gervais because she would have had to walk agacent to Melrose Heights, then past the Waverly area. At that time it was not safe though edges of it were begining to be gentrified. I recall avoiding it - and her neighborhood had mansions with one street over shacks. Concentric circles of how Columbia grew; wealthy with poor on the edges, then the wealthy move outside of those edges and the poor outside of that and so on until you have rings of this - it is very evident in Columbia up to the river.

Nonetheless Dail would not have walked, she would have called her parents. That is the kind of girl she was. Dail would NEVER, hear me, NOT EVER have gotten in the car with someone she did not know, nor would she have gotten in the car with someone she knew slightly or may have just met. Dail would not have gotten in the car with someone she had just met from the Graduate program she had just been accepted into either.

Dail was untouchable. She was a debutante. She only dated guys that came from finest of families. She was a lovely person, nobody would ever say she wasn't. But please understand she was not going to date a boy that did not run in her circle - if you knew her, you would understand. But I say this to illustrate that if she accepted a ride, she knew the person and knew them well. If the ride offerer were a man...

For the snatch and grab theorists; If somebody tried to snatch Dail, she would have screamed so bloody loud, her parents over on Stratford would have heard her. There would have been so many people that remembered the screaming girl.

In terms of drinking and leaving a purse etc. Dail was tiny, I'm talking 90 lbs soaking wet. Too much alcohol would have for sure made anybody that size drunk. A purse, like a clutch style is the kind of thing we all would have had back then - or a small cross body she might have taken off. They are easily laid on a bar - and they are easily stolen too. Consider that she did not misplace it but that when she turned to look for it, someone had taken it? That for any girl, would cause panic. It would also make it difficult to... call her parents should she need a ride. This is what I believe is the crux of the story.

She went looking for her friends to take her home. She could not find them. She may have thought they picked up her purse... she may have thought many things. At this point all we know is she walks out into the night and vanishes. In my heart, because I knew this person, I believe someone she knew and knew well picked her up. Something went terribly wrong. Maybe they went back to his/her house. Maybe he/she lived in her neighborhood? Maybe it was an old friend? Maybe he/she accidentally killed her? Maybe he/she thinks "what have I done" after hurting her and kills her? Maybe that person is powerful and yes as all of you have said there was a cover up. A sports person from USC is entirely too pedestrian for someone like Dail and frankly that is hardly worth a cover up. I would think bigger - a judges son/daughter, a senators son/daughter, some other powerfull type person.

I say he/she above because everyone assumes this is a man. Has nobody considered that someone that might have given her a ride was a woman? A woman that hated her? She aslo could have decided to walk and got hit by a car and that person could have put her in their car and done something with her when they realized they'd killed her. I stand firm that she would never walk to her house so I think it is possible she walked to another destination. Possibly gone to any number of friends that lived on or near campus - in a direction she may have considered safer.

Anyway, I hope my additional thoughts are helpful for those of you that enjoy sluething. I too would love to see Jean and Dan have answers - my parents went to school with them and we've know them forever. My parents are gone now and I worry that her parents will never know and that just guts me. I also think, "there but for the grace of God..." I think about Dail often.

FYI - the case has been covered on many unsolved tv shows over the years - Unsolved Mysteries, Dateline etc. Leon Lott the Sheriff has made it his pet cause since day one and he has never stopped working on it - he has chased after many people they thought were involved including a serial killer that went to USC at the same time that ended up killing several women in GA (he claims he did not kill Dail - even with all I said, it is possible he did! Ray Rivera is his name). U2 has even talked about it at their concerts over the years. Just because it is not in the paper all the time, do not think for a second that it is not getting attention. But it would be helpful if someone thinks that a true crime podcast show would cover it - wishing does not make it so - if I could wish, I would wish this never happened! So do not rhetorically say people do not do enough - you have NO IDEA how much has been done with this case. If you want more done voluteer to do more.

Thank you for this. Amazing insight into Dail that none of us would ever know. Very important insights I believe. Hopefully there will be a break soon and some answers for her parents and for you, as a dear friend of hers.

I agree that this is very good insight. I am very sorry you have no answers. I hope my previous posts did not offend you. We didn’t know Dail, so all we have is the information provided via articles or comments. I just feel like there are a lot of gaps; however, I certainly wasn’t around at the time. There is no known crime scene which makes it an uphill battle. I am just trying to connect the comments people have made. What’s true? What’s far fetched? What’s been proved? Debunked? Etc.

Someone posted a few days back with the name of a person who made allegations towards another individual; the individual was also named. I have no idea if that is correct but I am just trying to research what I can. I am also trying to find research names that may be tied in with other cases. I wonder if there is an elite group that lives a double life. Maybe someone she trusted betrayed her.

I truly hope her parents get the answers they so rightly deserve. I hope you get answers as well. I am sorry your parents passed away without knowing. Dail sounded like a wonderful person.

Hi all,

New to this site. Found it while looking for updates on this case recently. I went to USC and graduated in 1994. I actually went to the U2 concert that night. I did date a guy the following summer in 1993 and found out he was a suspect in this case and ended things. He was cleared but it really sticks with me to this day. He lived in an apartment above Jungle Jims when she disappeared then he left the country after she went missing. I looked him up and he died in 2018. Just weird and I had to post something.

Hi all,

New to this site. Found it while looking for updates on this case recently. I went to USC and graduated in 1994. I actually went to the U2 concert that night. I did date a guy the following summer in 1993 and found out he was a suspect in this case and ended things. He was cleared but it really sticks with me to this day. He lived in an apartment above Jungle Jims when she disappeared then he left the country after she went missing. I looked him up and he died in 2018. Just weird and I had to post something.

Welcome to the discussion.
Interesting information. When you say he “ left the country”, did he leave because he was from another country?

Hi,

No. It was weird. He was born in South Carolina but went to the Carribean after she went missing. It was a long time ago for me so I don't remember all the facts. I did speak with my college roommates on this a few days ago and they remember how sketchy it was. I did not meet him till the following summer in 1993. I am pretty sure his jeep got impounded when he returned to the States in 1993. Again I did not know any of this when I started dating him. He lived with him Mom when I met him and did not live above Jungle Jims when were dating. His Mom lived in a neighborhood near 5 points which is also really strange. He only dated for two months that summer but his behavior was strange.

I don't know the rules here and am unsure on what I can post..
Oh wow that’s very interesting. Above Jungle Jim’s...was it pretty close? Did you go out after the concert?

I am not sure what the rules are either. I have done hours of research. I am trying to make connections with other cases. I definitely don’t want to make you uncomfortable; would you mind saying which street? Or, do you mind saying if the persons name has come up in this thread?

I can’t even seem to find information on persons of interest.

I have more to post, however, my apartment flooded so I’m currently in the middle of a mess!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisaHerdzik
Back