Identified! SC - Darlington Co., WhtFem 112UFSC, 19-35, Aug'00 - Michelle Haggadone

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is Michelle's Charley Project page. I can't copy it over. Maybe CarlK can if he see's this thread.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/haggadon_michelle.html

She was also in NamUs.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5171/0/

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/112ufsc.html

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on August 3, 2000 near a rest stop off I-20 in Darlington County, South Carolina.
* Cause of Death appears to be strangulation
* Estimated time of death is a week to a month

Case History
On August 3rd, 2000, an unidentified source indicated that decomposed human remains were observed near a rest stop off I-20 in Darlington County, SC.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/haggadon_michelle.html says Michelle was last seen Jan 25, 2001. If the body was found 8/3/2000, how is that possible? No wonder noone made the connection! Thank God for DNA.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/haggadon_michelle.html says Michelle was last seen Jan 25, 2001. If the body was found 8/3/2000, how is that possible? No wonder noone made the connection! Thank God for DNA.

Good catch. I totally missed that.... NamUs also gives a DLC of January 2001. :banghead:

Circumstance from NamUs:

Several days after she was last seen, Michelle was due to pick up a very large sum of money as part of a class action settlement to which she was a party. Missing this appointment, along with having not been seen or heard from by anyone in her family since January 25, 2001, is very uncharacteristic of Michelle. Foul play is suspected.

I guess we can't argue with DNA but the date discrepancy is quite odd, no?

It's odd given the date she was expecting the check and missed the meeting.

jmo

Right, and I mean between the time this UID was found and the report of MH last seen, you have holidays, family would hopefully be in touch, etc...Not like it is just a few days where someone may be 'off' a day or two. It's six months.

I'm going to guess the month is what is off. Maybe it was supposed to be June or July as opposed to January. Especially considering the estimated time of death listed at DoeNet. Nothing else makes sense and I doubt the ME would make such a wide mistake with the estimated time of death.

(copied from a previous post above with the doenet info)

* The victim was discovered on August 3, 2000 near a rest stop off I-20 in Darlington County, South Carolina.

Here is Michelle's Charley Project page. I can't copy it over. Maybe CarlK can if he see's this thread.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/haggadon_michelle.html

Michelle Yvonne Haggadon

Above Images: Haggadon, circa 2001

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: January 25, 2001 from Leland, North Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: December 15, 1966
Height and Weight: 5'3, 90 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Haggadon was last seen in Leland, North Carolina on January 25, 2001. She disappeared a few days before she was due to collect a large sum of money she'd received as part of a class action lawsuit. She has never been heard from again. Haggadon left behind a young daughter. She was allegedly involved with drugs before her disappearance and foul play is suspected in her case. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

Here are the side-by-sides:

2491574290045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

I'm going to guess the month is what is off. Maybe it was supposed to be June or July as opposed to January. Especially considering the estimated time of death listed at DoeNet. Nothing else makes sense and I doubt the ME would make such a wide mistake with the estimated time of death.

(copied from a previous post above with the doenet info)

No Cubby, respectfully, this body was found six months before (August 2000) DLC listed as January 2001.
Maybe the year of MH disappearance (and possibly the month) are listed wrong....?

Just odd.

Unless I guess she went missing well before January 2001 and someone just sat on it and didnt report it until then...but I guess that's a 'whole 'nother can of worms'.

(I agree the resemblance to my eye is there, with the nose/jawline, vital stats.)

Makes me want to go back and run all my UID screens again for people who went missing up to a year after.

No Cubby, respectfully, this body was found six months before (August 2000) DLC listed as January 2001.
Maybe the year of MH disappearance (and possibly the month) are listed wrong....?

Just odd.

Unless I guess she went missing well before January 2001 and someone just sat on it and didnt report it until then...but I guess that's a 'whole 'nother can of worms'.

(I agree the resemblance to my eye is there, with the nose/jawline, vital stats.)

I should have been more clear, I meant June or July 2000 which would have matched up with the coroners estimated - 1 week to one month prior - estimated time of death. In which case both the month and year would have been entered incorrectly. I did a google archive news search and didn't find any older MSM articles regarding Michelle going missing. I thought perhaps an old MSM article might clear it up, but no go that route.

Makes me want to go back and run all my UID screens again for people who went missing up to a year after.

I thought the same thing Carl. I'm sure we would have come up with this possible match had the dates not been inaccurate.

http://www2.scnow.com/news/pee-dee/...wu0Uz7VFNbCSKYg&shorturl=http://bit.ly/qRJ7S9

Haggadone became missing in the summer of 2000 has not been seen since. Although many attempts have been made over the years to identify this person, all were futile.

that's 'news' huh?

A suspect is in the detention center in Wayne County, N.C. John Wayne Boyer, 54, confessed to the Darlington County killing and is now facing charges. He is in Wayne County for a murder in New Hanover City. He is also awaiting extradition in 2015 to Tennessee, where he also was convicted of a murder there.

Investigators think he may be tied to more crimes throughout the Southeast.

Boyer was a truck driver and strangled all of the victims. He met the Darlington County victim at a truck stop in Dillon County.

If anyone really did report they saw Michelle in Jan 2001 and it's not a clerical error, then they have some 'splaining to do. This is not a heavily populated area with a low number of missing people, and it's only about 3 hours between where she was found and where she disappeared. Had MH been reported missing when the body was found, I feel they would have id'ed her quickly.

If anyone really did report they saw Michelle in Jan 2001 and it's not a clerical error, then they have some 'splaining to do. This is not a heavily populated area with a low number of missing people, and it's only about 3 hours between where she was found and where she disappeared. Had MH been reported missing when the body was found, I feel they would have id'ed her quickly.

^bbm
Absolutely agree, stillwatersc. No brainer.

Not to disparage (sp?) the victim, but the CP page mentions this so I think it is fair to contemplate; says she was allegedly involved with drugs before her disappearance, so on the one hand I can see how a circumstance like that might make someone more of a 'transient' but it also says on NamUs, "not been seen or heard from by anyone in her family since January 25, 2001, is very uncharacteristic of Michelle." so I would more have to assume being in contact with her family on a regular basis outweighs the possibility she disappeared at least six months prior and they just decided in January "oh, well we might better tell somebody."

Or, its just a big honking 'clerical error' that looks to me like had it been avoided this family could have had peace at least 7 years ago. (Entered in 2004 to Charley Project.) Still, I say if she was an active missing person as this news report says in 'summer 2000', when that body was found there would have been a cross reference.

Here's another article:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/15452085/body-found-11-years-ago-identified-as-missing-nc-woman

It says that she went missing in summer of 2000, though it doesn't say where that info came from.

It also says that they have arrested her suspected killer (John Wayne Boyer), and that he has admitted to having killed her.

During a press conference Tuesday, officials announced the arrest of John Wayne Boyer, a former truck driver who is currently incarcerated in North Carolina on a separate murder charge.

Haggadone was reportedly strangled and dumped at the rest area. Officials said they interviewed Boyer about a week before the announcement and he allegedly admitted to murdering Haggadone.

Boyer worked for Twisdale Trucking Company at the time of the murder and worked for numerous other trucking companies prior.

WMBF News' sister station, WECT, in Wilmington, NC reported Boyer pled guilty to second degree murder after killing a woman and dumping her body in Wilmington in 2003. He is currently serving a 12 year sentence for that conviction. Boyer has also been indicted on murder charges out of Tennessee and will be transferred there once his sentence has been served in NC.

Add one more to the list of serial killers with the middle name "Wayne".

I can understand when the date lka is general like "late 2000" or "summer 2005" but when a month, day and year is given then people should be able to rely upon it especially if it has some significance to the MP, like in this case picking up a settlement check.

I bet if any of us had submitted the name based on demographics, it would have been summarily rejected as incompatible with the date lka.

If it's a clerical error its a disservice to those of YOU here who work tirelessly cross-referencing these databases. I admire the work you all do trying to help so many people you don't even know. At the same time IF it is as simple as a 'typo' then it brings into question the investigation at the time her body was found. I lived within 10 miles of this 'rest stop' at the time. It was known as NOT a place to stop for a 'rest' - all kinds of shady things going on there. It was closed for years shortly afterwards and only reopened a coupleof years ago but not to general public, only truckers - not that that is going to solve any of the prior problems, IMO, but whatever. My point here is this was BIG news when this lady was found, and as stillwatersc has stated we don't have a lot of 'missing persons' cropping up along with bodies discarded at interstate rest stops at the same time. The area she lived was only 2-3 hours from here. This stop is only 15 miles or so where two major interstates intersect, I-95 and I-20. I distinctly remember the news commenting on 'no missing persons in the area' and 'exploring missing person cases in the southeast'. If they were exploring MP in the SE, why wouldnt MH have immediately pinged their radar in the summer/August 3, 2000...?

Sad really. I have often wondered about this lady and why no one was looking for/missing her.

I just looked at the full case report for Michelle Haggadone's MP on NamUs. Two LE contacts are listed. Ok, I can't copy it over without it being jumbled... will try to fix it best I can, but take a look at the case number. The case number starts 2000- clearly indicating this is a case from 2000. 'Date reported' is missing.

Dentals and DNA were updated. What is the protocal with accuracy when data is entered into NamUs. I know civilians can enter case data, but when NamUs is verifying this information, do they only verify a missing person case exists? Or do they verify an accuracy to the data entered?

I'd really like to know how this was missed. If these dates are that far off, these databases are going to leave a LOT of matches unidentified. :(

Police Information

Title Srgt. Det
First name Steve
Last name Mason
Jurisdiction Local
Agency Brunswick County Sheriff
Address 1 PO BOX 9
Address 270 Stamp Act Drive
City Bolivia
State North Carolina
Zip code 284422
Phone 910-253-2777
Email brunswicksheriff@brunsco.net
Website
Case number 2000-3052
Date reported
Comments

and also listed for police contact information is a second contact name with LE. The rest of the above information is the same.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back