Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on the 911 call. IMO, the mom was hyperventilating at the start of that call. Absolute panic. IMO, the 911 operator was not at all cold. They are trained to remain calm. They are in fact gathering mode. Because of the demeanor of the operator, the mom starts to calm down, she’s absolutely still terrified but she does an excellent job of clearly answering all the questions being asked. I was also struck by how polite the mom was during the call. It was a hard call to listen to.
Well put. The mom was heroic under the circumstances. She did everything right. The 911 operators did their job right also.

Maybe it's extra difficult to process when everybody responds so well and the outcome is still tragic.

It's only my opinion but I feel like it's healthy to look for the good people and the good they did. The mom especially. She's 100% focused on that call on getting help, communicating, trying to control her emotions and be responsive under the unimaginably difficult circumstances.

She did her very best for Faye and deserves to be proud and admired for it. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to listen to such a heartbreaking call, but to me it's a small honor to witness a final act of love of a mother for her daughter. That part of it is beautiful and hopeful. No one can take that away.

FEB 16, 2020
‘The Faye feeling’: Family friend describes warmth shared by 6-year-old Faye Swetlik
[...]

“It really warmed my heart that somebody could come together for all this. Because honestly I feel they don’t need to be alone because this is so devastating,” said MA, a friend of Faye’s grandmother.

[...]

“That feeling of somebody wrapping their arms around you -- that’s a Faye feeling,” she said.

MA describes Faye’s grandmother, RC, as a selfless person with, “a heart as big as the United States.”

[...]

She said Faye inherited her family’s giving spirit.

“Faye always wanted to help too. If there was something that needed to be done, Faye wanted to be a part of it,” MA said. “I’m happy to see how the community has came together with all this.”

[...]

“Remember her as the pictures of her smiling that you see -- because that is Faye,” she said. “I’ve never heard Faye cry, I’ve never seen her sad, I’ve never seen her mad, only happy and smiling all the time.”

[...]

I keep roladexing the day she was found. The movements of LE tells us some things:
1) something discovered in the trash sent them looking for her in the woods again.
2) they didn't go to the deceased males town home first

Which leads me to think that what they found in the trash directly related to the site she was in. When they discovered sweet Faye they knew where to go next.

Any thoughts on what was found in both places? I think it's more than the item mentioned on the missing report in the trash? Had to be something to lead them back to the woods and not the town home. JMO
I thought the same. Maybe a shovel?

(snipped by me)

I am a police & fire dispatcher coming up on 17 years of service. I totally understand why you would find it upsetting. It is. It's horrific and awful and none of us want anyone to go through anything like that. But we are trained and paid to be the calm in the storm. I have to get basic information from you as quickly as possible so that help can be started your way. Then I have to continue to be calm to get more information so that officers have a description of the missing child. I cannot let my personal feelings get in the way because if I do, then I can't help you.

This is a horrible call to have to take. It affects us. It affects us more than you will ever know and that's fine because I don't need you to know that. I need you to know that I am focused with everything I am on getting the information I need to get to get you help as soon as possible and in the best way possible. When the call is done, then I can take off my headphones, tell my supervisor that I'm taking a few minutes and go somewhere and fall apart.

I had to take a call nearly 16 years ago from a young woman who was the victim of a nightmarish crime. She was hysterical, her mother was in the background also understandably hysterical. I felt like I wanted to throw up just hearing the basics. I couldn't though. I took a very deep breath, pushed it all down inside me and focused on what questions I had to ask. My being calm helped the girl to calm down and give me the information I needed to give the officers. My being calm helped her to focus on what she could do to fight back (give me an accurate description of the suspect). This call is part of our training library. If you could hear it, you would probably say I was cold. I was completely calm and matter of fact. Inside? I was a mess. I tell trainees about my internal feelings when we listen to this call and all of them are stunned and say "But you sound so calm..." Yes, because my being a mess didn't serve this girl and wouldn't help her at all. After this call, I went outside and lost it for nearly 15 minutes. I couldn't stop thinking about her & what she'd been through and how she would cope. 16 years on, I still think about her.

I understand why you may think we are cold but maybe this has helped you to understand that most of us are not. We care a lot, that's why we do this job - to help people - and to help people, my emotions have to be packed away until a time when I can safely unpack them. (Thank god for my therapist! ;) )
I feel every word that you wrote. I was an EMT for 7 years and an ICU/Trauma Nurse for 12 years. You learn quickly to put your emotions in a "box" that can be opened later. But while you are dealing with a situation you have to take the emotion out of it - your "supercalmness" helps bring their panic down. The people, situations, cases that stay with you forever are the ones I refer to as my "ghosts". Some of my ghosts are tragic and haunting, and some (though sad) taught me a lot about life, love and loss. But all of them touches me deeply and remain with me - some from more than 30 years ago.

As a student nurse I was doing my senior clinical in a Level I Trauma Center when an infant was transported to us after being unrestrained in a motor vehicle accident. We fought to save the baby but were unable to. I sat with my preceptor when she notified the family that the baby did not survive and fought back the tears. I volunteered to bathe the baby before letting the family in to see him and the tears streamed down my face I tried to make him look peaceful. My preceptor told me I didn't have to do this, one of the nurses could do this. I told her "no" - I had to do this no matter how much it hurt. It was my way of saying goodbye, too. As a mother I couldn't help but look at this baby and see my own 5 y/o son.

It might be because Monday is President's Day (?) although, why that would matter, I'm not sure.

I think you are right. This is a holiday weekend but the autopsies needed to be done if for no other reason than the high profile of the case in SC, so that was taken care of. The report I guess could wait to be written up on Tuesday morning and released.

Hope you are right that he didn’t sexually violate her. Whatever he did to her, he was remorseful about it to kill himself. Sounds like a truly sad situation all the way around that just should not have happened. An innocent child is gone unnecessarily :-(
Did they ever id the owner of the silver car? Is it known what kind of car CT drove?
I think this may have been to throw off the perp and make him comfortable believing that the police were not onto him. Just like when the checked every houses garbage cans, came up with nothing and then surprisingly returned to check the same houses garbage cans again the next day and this time recovered the evidence that led to them finding Faye.

Thank you, Oviedo. (I'm still getting my feet under me here at the forum, and didn't realize I was in the wrong thread.) Yes, I believe it's going to be tough to say the least.
@Gardenkeep ITA with your original post. IME When my mom died, I had strangers coming up to me asking pointed questions about how she died (if it was true as to what they were hearing). I had no shame about what happened. I just wanted to grieve, in my own way, in peace, with my family & close friends, until I was ready to talk to outsiders about it. Her COD being known to the public FOR ME was upsetting. Strangers or people I had not had contact with in years called my house, asking questions, because they were curious, not because they cared. Had it been MY CHOICE, that info would have remained private until my family felt we could release it.
My point is that families deserve to have the choice in WHEN to release it, at the very least. MOO

Hey all...sad ending to such a beautiful and short life. We have all fallen in love with Faye Marie.

I am not convinced CT is the perp. Call it a hunch. But I feel like he knew something and maybe even witnessed what happened and thus, maybe, he too, is a victim of a homicidal crime. We simply do not know. I am waiting on more concrete information to come out before making any judgment on him. LE is being strategic in how they are wording things. My feeling is that there is wayyyyy more than we know and that it will shock us when we get more information. JMO.

just my .02

Remembering Faye Marie. Praying for her family along with CT family. They also deserve our prayers. Victim or Perp. Another family is also suffering a loss.
If there had been another arrest I might agree. LE isn't going to accept vigilante justice or someone killing Faye and CT to frame him. When LE can get involved as quickly as they did here, and get the State Police as well as FBI involved right away, cases can reach a conclusion much more quickly. LE isn't usually stupid and in this case they were smart and fast. I think if they had not closed down that neighborhood as soon as they did, the killer would have hidden her body elsewhere. Right now, all the rivers around Columbia (and Cayce) are very high and running hard. There are numerous wooded areas and lots of places someone could hide such a small body. Whoever it was, they could only get the body a short distance from wherever it was to a spot immediately behind Apt 602, an area that had been searched repeatedly. The woods is just a smallish patch of trees, probably between 1/2 acre to less than an acre total. Maybe not even 1/2 acre. Dogs were brought in early, so I'm pretty sure LE was correct in saying she had not been in the area for long. The item was found in CT's garbage. What I want to know is were there other victims of molestation or worse that LE may locate? The investigation is not over just because CT is dead.

Been wondering also. Speculation only but maybe a picture or note that prompted LE to search that area again? Something that only locals or someone already through that area recognized?
Didn't LE state that whatever was found was something from the missing person's poster?

That would have to be something she was wearing on her body. Jmo

Been wondering also. Speculation only but maybe a picture or note that prompted LE to search that area again? Something that only locals or someone already through that area recognized?
I think what was found in the trash sent them back to 602, not the woods. They were preparing another search of "the area" when one LEO found her. I think the area was 602, maybe outside as well. She was not far into the woods, just past the back door of 602 from MSM reports and pics. ETA: You may be right and it was the woods, I just can't imagine why finding something from the missing poster would lead them to the woods unless it had something from the woods on it, like pinestraw, vegetation or clay. The area is sandy, but there might be red or gray clay under the sand. JMO.

Last edited:
I think this may have been to throw off the perp and make him comfortable believing that the police were not onto him. Just like when the checked every houses garbage cans, came up with nothing and then surprisingly returned to check the same houses garbage cans again the next day and this time recovered the evidence that led to them finding Faye.
I don't think LE were concerned whether or not he knew they were on to him. They had the neighborhood locked down tight and there was no way the perp was going to get away with it. He panicked and led LE right to the body. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member