GUILTY SC - Five Jones children, ages 1-8, Lexington County, 28 Aug 2014 *Father Arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 4m4 minutes ago
The half-sister of Timothy Jones, Jackie, is on the stand right now for the defense. @wachfox

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 3m3 minutes ago
She is another relative describing the times she had with Jones Jr growing up, and her time with the 5 children. @WLTX

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 3m3 minutes ago
Jackie Jones says her and Amber Kyzer were like “sisters” and would go on nightly walks together to get away from the “tribe of boys.” @wachfox #TimothyJones

D83yylYXkAA1LFh.jpg

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 2m2 minutes ago
Jackie talks about how much time she spent with the children, saying she would cut their hair and play with them. She says when they went to church, "they were perfect little kids."

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 6m6 minutes ago
Jackie says she wants to hug her brother, but she can't. She also says Jones Jr. is a caring guy and she feels badly he missed a lot of moments in her life, like her wedding and when she had her first child.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 5m5 minutes ago
Jackie says her conception day happened to be on the same day that Jones Jr. killed his five children.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 13m13 minutes ago
Jones' stepsister testifies she learned she was pregnant after he was arrested and she's angry Jones wasn't present for the birth. Her conception date: August 28, 2014--the day her five nieces and nephews were murdered. @wis10

Jackie Jones recounts how she gets sad with her own daughter, now 4, when she behaves like the Jones children. She says she “feels broken,” and “angry” about what happened. She says she lives in constant fear about something happening to her daughter @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 1m1 minute ago
Defense now plays a video of a memorial service for the five children in Mississippi.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 4m4 minutes ago
As the video wraps up, Jones Jr. starts to cry. Jackie says she had to help her parents stay strong after the murders. She says she has failed him as a sister since she says she didn't let him know that he could call her if he was having issues with the children.

THIS JUST IN: After Jackie steps down from the stand, the defense RESTS in the sentencing phase.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 42s42 seconds ago
At 12:08p, the defense rests its case in the punishment phase of the Timothy Jones Jr. trial. @wis10

Judge Griffith sends the jury out for a ten-minute break.

The sister testified that she never saw Tim Jr. drink. Never saw him smoke a cigarette.

Well, the Tim Jr. she fondly remembers and reveres to this day -- that was the old Tim -- ancient history. He became someone else that she never got to know because they had severed ties with each other.

I guess they are now on lunch break.

She said she thought of Amber as a sister. Lived with them. Took walks everyday with Amber. The same Amber who said she felt so desperately isolated that she cried with relief at those once weekly cookouts at his family's house, and confided in Julie while there.

Sorry, but I find it impossible to believe no one in his family knew Jr. was abusive to Amber, and that his key demands of her included "being seen, but not heard," and of keeping the babies away from him.

They all seem to have walked on eggshells around him. They all were punished by him, including by his not allowing them to see their grandchildren/nieces & nephews. They all say THEY feel guilty about failing Jr. and/or the babies.

They are not to blame for who he is or what he did, but neither is the collective story they're telling credible, which is in a nutshell that he was a headstrong but good person who must have snapped (no memories of him acting schizophrenic, interestingly).

Last edited:
Amber, yesterday: I pray for Tim's family all the time. I don't want them to feel the pain I felt losing my babies. There's been enough pain.

Senior's wife, today. The summer of 2012 was the best ever. We had so much fun. (The summer when the babies were kidnapped from Amber, when Amber had her mother drive her to Mississippi to get them, only to be told- you're not going to get them loose).

We had all the oldest 3, because Amber was leaving them alone at night. Tom was going to let her have Gabriel, until he found out she was leaving him alone at night too. And you have to remember Amber was pregnant at the time. And we didn't even know who the father was.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the testimony yet today but have been reading the tweets and comments here and I have decided I am flabbergasted by the Jones family.
First, I’ll say they have lost a lot and their emotions are true. They have my sympathy.
However...
They are the most selfish group of people I have ever seen. I can see why Jr is such a self centered jerk. If your last name isn’t Jones you will get nothing from them. They turned on Amber like pit bulls the minute she decided she wanted a divorce. They bought into every lie Jr told them about Amber and their marriage, and they’re still spouting them. They’ve taken up all the implied lies the defense team has manufactured....she had an affair with a mere schoolboy(lie), she didn’t want the kids living with her and always missed their visitations(lie). To them Amber is the cause of all this unpleasantness, because Jr said so.
Amber is the mother of these five murdered children and not one of them have had a kind word or had any consideration for her.
Amber pleaded for mercy for Tim Jones Jr as her children’s voice, she said she loved all the Jones family as they had helped her as a young mother, she prays for them all. Their pain is real but what a selfish despicable clan.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 16m16 minutes ago
Judge Griffith adjourns court for the day. Closing statements will begin tomorrow morning.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 18m18 minutes ago
Court is adjourned for the day. Closing arguments will begin Thursday at 9a. Jones told Judge Eugene Griffith he does not want testify or address the jury in this final phase. @wis10

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 18m18 minutes ago
Timothy Jones told the judge he does not wish to testify nor speak to the jury. @wachfox

Last edited:
I haven’t had a chance to watch the testimony yet today but have been reading the tweets and comments here and I have decided I am flabbergasted by the Jones family.
First, I’ll say they have lost a lot and their emotions are true. They have my sympathy.
However...
They are the most selfish group of people I have ever seen. I can see why Jr is such a self centered jerk. If your last name isn’t Jones you will get nothing from them. They turned on Amber like pit bulls the minute she decided she wanted a divorce. They bought into every lie Jr told them about Amber and their marriage, and they’re still spouting them. They’ve taken up all the implied lies the defense team has manufactured....she had an affair with a mere schoolboy(lie), she didn’t want the kids living with her and always missed their visitations(lie). To them Amber is the cause of all this unpleasantness, because Jr said so.
Amber is the mother of these five murdered children and not one of them have had a kind word or had any consideration for her.
Amber pleaded for mercy for Tim Jones Jr as her children’s voice, she said she loved all the Jones family as they had helped her as a young mother, she prays for them all. Their pain is real but what a selfish despicable clan.

Amen. That's exactly what I see too. Will the jurors? Sympathy for his family is the only real argument they've made for saving his life. Call me a hard arse, but the sympathy I feel for (some) of them is mighty tempered by their glaring lack of grace.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 16m16 minutes ago
Judge Griffith adjourns court for the day. Closing statements will begin tomorrow morning.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 18m18 minutes ago
Court is adjourned for the day. Closing arguments will begin Thursday at 9a. Jones told Judge Eugene Griffith he does not want testify or address the jury in this final phase. @wis10

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 18m18 minutes ago
Timothy Jones told the judge he does not wish to testify nor speak to the jury. @wachfox

Smart choice by Jr.

If the jury gives Jr a sentence of life without parole, and that would be a gift in my opinion, I wish they could make him get up and take responsibility for what he did. Have him say “it’s not Amber’s fault, it’s not Cynthia’s fault, nobody’s fault but mine.”
Not one person has mentioned Jr making any comment that indicated he feels responsible for any of this. That includes everything from spousal abuse, to child abuse to murdering his five children.

Amen. That's exactly what I see too. Will the jurors? Sympathy for his family is the only real argument they've made for saving his life. Call me a hard arse, but the sympathy I feel for (some) of them is mighty tempered by their glaring lack of grace.

Yes. If the jury spares him it will be from the mercy and grace they have in their hearts, something sorely lacking in Jr and his family.

If the jury gives Jr a sentence of life without parole, and that would be a gift in my opinion, I wish they could make him get up and take responsibility for what he did. Have him say “it’s not Amber’s fault, it’s not Cynthia’s fault, nobody’s fault but mine.”
Not one person has mentioned Jr making any comment that indicated he feels responsible for any of this. That includes everything from spousal abuse, to child abuse to murdering his five children.

He wouldn't have to abandon his insanity fiction to say, at the very least: I'm sorry. Sorry for taking my babies' lives, and sorry for all the pain I've caused my family and ex-wife.

He won't, can't, isn't, and I don't believe the jury will forgive him for either killing his babies or his lack of remorse.

Relatives ask jury to spare life of father who killed 5 kids

Jun 12, 2019

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — One more group of family members asked a jury Wednesday to spare the life of a South Carolina father convicted of murdering his five children, saying they have been through enough pain already.

The same jury that convicted Timothy Jones Jr. of killing his five children in their Lexington home in August 2014 is set to begin deliberating his fate Thursday morning. ...

One person the jury will not hear from in person is Jones himself. He declined to testify before he was found guilty and again Wednesday at the end of his sentencing phase. South Carolina law would have allowed Jones to make a brief statement to the jury during Thursday's closing arguments, but Jones told Circuit Judge Eugene Griffith he wouldn't do that either....

The family members said Jones has much more to offer by being allowed to live out his life in prison than die at the end of a needle or in the electric chair. They testified he could teach other inmates like he guided them through complex subjects at school.

And they all asked to spare Jones' life because after all the pain they suffered when the children were killed five years ago they didn't need any more...."

Jun 12, 2019

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — One more group of family members asked a jury Wednesday to spare the life of a South Carolina father convicted of murdering his five children, saying they have been through enough pain already.

The same jury that convicted Timothy Jones Jr. of killing his five children in their Lexington home in August 2014 is set to begin deliberating his fate Thursday morning. ...

One person the jury will not hear from in person is Jones himself. He declined to testify before he was found guilty and again Wednesday at the end of his sentencing phase. South Carolina law would have allowed Jones to make a brief statement to the jury during Thursday's closing arguments, but Jones told Circuit Judge Eugene Griffith he wouldn't do that either....

The family members said Jones has much more to offer by being allowed to live out his life in prison than die at the end of a needle or in the electric chair. They testified he could teach other inmates like he guided them through complex subjects at school.

And they all asked to spare Jones' life because after all the pain they suffered when the children were killed five years ago they didn't need any more...."

Too cowardly to face what he did, admit his guilt and express any remorse whatsover.

The Latest: Father won't testify in death penalty trial

Jun 12, 2019

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The Latest on a death penalty trial for a South Carolina father (all times local):

1:50 p.m.

The South Carolina father convicted of killing his five children won't testify on his behalf or make a statement to a jury deciding whether he gets the death penalty.

Timothy Jones Jr. declined to testify in his defense before he was found guilty last week and again Wednesday at the end of his sentencing phase.

South Carolina law would have allowed Jones to make a brief statement to the jury during Thursday's closing arguments, but Jones told Circuit Judge Eugene Griffith he wouldn't do that either.

The jury is expected to begin deliberating Jones' sentence on Thursday. They must vote unanimously for the death penalty for the 37-year-old or he will be sentenced to life without parole...."

The Latest: Father won't testify in death penalty trial

Five_Children_Killed_91098_15559118_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

(Tim Jones, Sr., embraces his son, Travis Jones during the sentencing phase of Tim Jones Jr.'s trial in Lexington, S.C., Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Timothy Jones, Jr. was found guilty of killing his 5 young children in 2014. [Tracy Glantz/The State via AP, Pool])

Five_Children_Killed_13329_15559121_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

(Tyler Jones wipes his eyes while testifying during the sentencing phase of the trial of his half brother, Tim Jones in Lexington, S.C., Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Timothy Jones, Jr. was found guilty of killing his 5 young children in 2014. [Tracy Glantz/The State via AP, Pool])

Five_Children_Killed_75421_15559122_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

(Travis Jones testifies during the sentencing phase of the trial of his half brother, Tim Jones in Lexington, S.C., Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Timothy Jones, Jr. was found guilty of killing his 5 young children in 2014. [Tracy Glantz/The State via AP, Pool])

Five_Children_Killed_89578_15559126_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

(Jacqueline Rangel testifies during the sentencing phase of the trial of her half brother, Tim Jones in Lexington, S.C., Wednesday, June 12, 2019. Timothy Jones, Jr. was found guilty of killing his 5 young children in 2014. [Tracy Glantz/The State via AP, Pool])

Five_Children_Killed_01482_15559119_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

I really don't know how I want the outcome to turn out. In my opinion, he definitely deserves the death penalty. However, that can linger for far too long and allow far too many appeals to be paid for by the state. And he would be rather isolated/protected.

A life without any chance of parole would give him only one free appeal, I believe. And he would be with general population, subject to their jailhouse attitudes. Child murderers are generally not looked upon with any favor. I think his punishment might be the worse with life.

I really don't know how I want the outcome to turn out. In my opinion, he definitely deserves the death penalty. However, that can linger for far too long and allow far too many appeals to be paid for by the state. And he would be rather isolated/protected.

A life without any chance of parole would give him only one free appeal, I believe. And he would be with general population, subject to their jailhouse attitudes. Child murderers are generally not looked upon with any favor. I think his punishment might be the worse with life.

I agree with you. He certainly deserves the death penalty but I personally am against it just in general.
I would also mete out the following sentences:
1) To the defense attorneys...personalities, and the ability to smile, along with several kicks in the rear for wasting our time with repetitive experts.
2) To the prosecution and law enforcement...thanks.
3) To the jury...eternal respect.
4) To Joy Lorick and Christine Elke...hugs and hugs and hugs
5) To educators...all our love
6) To Amber and the Jones family...peace

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 1h1 hour ago
The US Attorney for the District of SC, Sherri Lydon, is in the front row of the courtroom today, behind the state. We expect closing arguments in the sentencing of Timothy Jones Jr to begin at 9am. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 1h1 hour ago
The Jones family is here behind the defense, and several of the educators whom have testified are sitting behind the state. Crowded courtroom @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 59m59 minutes ago
Some notes: This jury was seated on May 13th. The 14th, they heard opening statements for the trial.

June 4th, they decided Jones was guilty on all five counts.

June 6th, the sentencing phase began.

Now, a full month after meeting, they’ll get their last assignment. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 48m48 minutes ago
This is the 21st day the jury will/has been present and court in session. Like I said in a previous tweet, they first sat as a full jury a calendar month ago on May 13th. Since then, they’ve heard from more than 70 witnesses, 500+ pieces of evidence, 1 judge, and 6 lawyers. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 39m39 minutes ago
No jury as of 9:23am, we were originally told 9am, as soon as they’re called I’ll send another tweet. @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 37m37 minutes ago
As of 9:24, the jury has still not been called into the courtroom.

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 36m36 minutes ago
And for those curious at home, jury selection started even earlier on April 29th. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 17m17 minutes ago
We are expecting to start at any moment, all the attorneys just walked back in, as did the Judge’s clerk. @WLTX

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 14m14 minutes ago
The jury is coming in as closing arguments in the sentencing phase are about to begin in Timothy Jones murder trial. Several teachers from Saxe Gotha, where the children went to school, are in the court room as well as Mississippi authorities, where Jones was arrested. @wachfox

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 15m15 minutes ago
Judge Griffith has asked for the jury. They’ll do state closing, break, defense closing, break, final instruction, deliberation @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 13m13 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard begins at 9:52am, “Ladies and gentlemen, let the punishment fit the crime.” @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 11m11 minutes ago
In front of a packed courtroom, Solicitor Rick Hubbard begins his closing statement. He asks the jury to "let the punishment fit this crime" and starts going over aggravating factors: *Murder of a child 11 years old or younger (Jones killed 5) *2+ people murdered at the same time

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 12m12 minutes ago
“Isn’t he the worst of the worst? Tim Jones. A man who brutally murdered his five children,” Hubbard continues @WLTX

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 9m9 minutes ago
"Isn’t he the worst of the worst? A man who brutally murdered his five children..." Solicitor Rick Hubbard tells the jury in closing arguments. @wis10

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 11m11 minutes ago
Hubbard says the jury’s verdict already proved two aggravating factors necessary for death:
- 2 or more victims during commission of one ongoing activity - murder/killing of a child under 11yo @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 11m11 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard tells the jury that the character witnesses for Jones Jr don’t change the nature of the crime or the aggravating circumstances. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 10m10 minutes ago
“Is there any crime worse than that?” Hubbard asks about a father whom kills his children. @WLTX

Courtney King‏ @CourtReportKing 13m13 minutes ago
Hubbard says, "Who is Tim Jones Juror? He's a murderer... he's a mass murderer..." Continues to say he took the lives of his children. #TimothyJones @wachfox

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 11m11 minutes ago
Hubbard goes on to call Jones a "mass murderer", saying that he committed the most heinous crime by taking the lives of his five children without mercy.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 12m12 minutes ago
"He is a murderer, he murdered his five kids, he is a mass murderer. He committed the most heinous crime you can commit," Hubbard said. "That is who he is." @wis10

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 8m8 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard tells the jury that Jones Jr’s life is about choice, that he had a life of opportunity after his degree, and it ended up here. @WLTX

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 5m5 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard painting the picture that Jones Jr was selfish, a “brat,” spoiled, quick to revenge for abandonment, and controlling. @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 8m8 minutes ago
Hubbard calls Jones Jr. selfish (he points to testimony from his grandmother saying so), saying he had the "gifts to be something more", but his selfishness got in the way.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 8m8 minutes ago
Hubbard brings up Christmas 2012, the last time Jones Sr. saw the children. Calls his selfishness and his attitude towards his family "classic Tim Jr." behavior.

Jacob Reynolds‏Verified account @JRFromTheSouth 6m6 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard is making a pointed effort to look at Jones Sr in the second row as he talks about the comments and stories Sr has made/told about his son. @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 5m5 minutes ago
Hubbard acknowledges Amber Kyzer's testimony that "Nahtahn was a momma's boy" and says that's why he was a target for Tim Jr. since his son didn't show absolute devotion to him.

Caroline Hecker‏Verified account @CHecker_WIS 21m21 minutes ago
Solicitor Hubbard is animated and passionate while delivering his closing argument. "Merah...she makes one final appeal to the beast who has his hands on her throat, ‘daddy I love you’--he looked her in eye and killed her." @wis10

“Is this a case for mercy? Is this life?” Hubbard asks, when recounting to the jury about Jones’ alleged abuse of Nahtahn before the DSS call. @WLTX

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 4m4 minutes ago
Hubbard calls Jonathan Stone, Nahtahn's kindergarten teacher, his "real father figure", and says the teachers did what they had to do when they saw the bruises on Nahtahn's arms and neck in May 2014 by calling DSS.

Tim Scott‏ @TimScottTV 3m3 minutes ago
Hubbard calls Jones Jr. "the worst of the worst" due to his abuse and neglect of Nahtahn. He talks about the electrical outlet incident, and says there were no teachable moments with Jones Jr. (it was a "full out criminal investigation and interrogation."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back