SC - Five law enforcement officers injured, 2 dead, Florence, 3 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Latest: Suspect in S.Carolina Shooting Disbarred Lawyer
rbbm
"The suspect in the shooting of seven law-enforcement officers in South Carolina is a disbarred lawyer who has been charged several times in recent years, starting with a 2014 count of disorderly conduct.

Authorities identified the shooter in the Wednesday night incident as 74-year-old Frederick Hopkins. According to public court records, Hopkins' charges include two in 2015 and 2017 for "running at large," an offense related to not restraining one's animals.

Public records show he's the husband of Florence divorce attorney Cheryl Turner-Hopkins. South Carolina Bar records show Frederick Hopkins used to be a lawyer but has been disbarred."

"Heidler asked for prayers for the slain officer, calling him the "bravest police officer I have ever known."

Nunn says the man held children hostage during a two-hour standoff, but they weren't harmed."

The court noted in the year 2000 that Frederick Hopkins was injured in the Vietnam War and he was receiving a disability payment of $1,127 a month. Hopkins also was a lawyer, admitted to the South Carolina bar in 1980, but was later disbarred.

Authorities said Frederick Hopkins is under arrest in a hospital after falling on his head at some point during the standoff, which began when deputies tried to serve a search warrant at the home.

The Latest: Disabled veteran held in shooting of 7 officers

According to NBC News, two of the three injured deputies were said to be in critical condition and the third, who was shot in the leg, was in stable condition.

Of the three surviving police officers, one suffered a graze wound to his head and was paralyzed on one side. Another officer was in stable condition, and a third, shot in the thumb, was released from the hospital, officials told NBC News.

74-year-old man identified as suspect in shooting that killed 1 officer, wounded 6 others

This is ONE among many reasons I don't like when many in our society totally want to only solely focus on how many police officers who are killed in the line of duty each year.

Why totally ignore the almost 60K police officers a year that are attacked/assaulted with so many of them left with life altering severe injuries where their lives are forever changed in the blink of an eye.

It is disengious imo to completely ignore all of those multiple thousands of assaults happening to our police officers each and every year.

The last article I read said the FBI who keeps these records expects that number to rise even higher when the next report comes out.

No person in any other occupation or profession is assaulted and attacked almost 60K times a year for just for doing their job duties..

It truly shows they have the most dangerous profession when it comes to all professions of those who are employed in America on our soil.

I pray the ones who are now in critical condition will fully recover and I pray for the one who is now paralyzed on one side and hope they overcome such devastating injury.

Imo

Local chatter is about a zillion times worse than I ever imagined. These were some evil people.//

The memorial during Officer Carraway’s processional today was gut-wrenching. They closed the interstate and draped all the bridges in the flag, fire ladders raised, lights without sirens. So emotional.

SC cop killed was ‘bravest police officer,’ 30 years on the force, and Air Force vet

"Carraway, 52, was recently recognized for 30 years of service with the police department, reported McClatchy. He lived in Darlington, which is 11 miles northwest of Florence, reported TV station WMBF.

Officials with the Florence Police told McClatchy he also worked for years with the department’s Police Athletic League youth program, where he served as a coach for multiple sports and “whatever else they needed for.” The program includes youth sports and fitness camps, according to the department.

“He had a passion for kids,” Heidler said at a press conference. “He was a giant of a man, but he was the proverbial gentle giant.”

He was an Air Force veteran of the 315th Airlift Wing stationed out of Charleston Air Force Base, according to a Facebook post by the command. The post said Carraway retired as a Technical Sergeant".

SC cop killed was ‘bravest police officer,’ 30 years on the force, and Air Force vet

"Carraway, 52, was recently recognized for 30 years of service with the police department, reported McClatchy. He lived in Darlington, which is 11 miles northwest of Florence, reported TV station WMBF.

Officials with the Florence Police told McClatchy he also worked for years with the department’s Police Athletic League youth program, where he served as a coach for multiple sports and “whatever else they needed for.” The program includes youth sports and fitness camps, according to the department.

“He had a passion for kids,” Heidler said at a press conference. “He was a giant of a man, but he was the proverbial gentle giant.”

He was an Air Force veteran of the 315th Airlift Wing stationed out of Charleston Air Force Base, according to a Facebook post by the command. The post said Carraway retired as a Technical Sergeant".

Just reading this brings me to tears. What a good man who had done so many positive things during his life.

I am a very proud grandmother of such a good hearted ...kind and caring grandson who is a Sgt. with our local sheriff department. He has so many who loves and admires him including..close friends...family and his brothers and sisters in blue.

Each and every day when we first get up and before we go to sleep we all pray for his safety and that of his fellow officers yet the worry is always there and the dread never goes away.

So when these kind of appalling things happen and it seems to be happening more and more often now... it strikes more fear in our hearts if possible.

I think people who have a love one in law enforcement whether its family or friend can only truly understand how courageous our police officers truly are. Especially in the toxic climate they have had to face in the last 9 years of so when so many have become senseless targets when they were only carrying out their duties.

I mourn for all who have been killed trying to keep their communities safe and for all who have been gravely injured or assaulted.

God bless them all.

Jmo

The person named by MSM above as the one the warrant was for, has been listed as “Seth Hopkins.”

He has FB pages under that and other names, including possibly “Jeremy Devon Hopkins” and a deleted one as “Luke Hopkins,” which was previously linked to the Jeremy Hopkins page. MTA (If JDH/LH is another brother and not SH using another name, then they’re the only ones who look alike. There are several siblings/step siblings/half siblings in the family.)

There’s a long, long, long history of arrests with another sibling.

Why were foster children in the same home with these people??? (IRL, I had assumed they were the H’s grandkids, and only found out last night via MSM that they’re foster kids.)

Last edited:
The person named by MSM above as the one the warrant was for, has been listed as “Seth Hopkins.”

He has FB pages under that and other names, including possibly “Jeremy Devon Hopkins” and a deleted one as “Luke Hopkins,” which was previously linked to the Jeremy Hopkins page. MTA (If JDH/LH is another brother and not SH using another name, then they’re the only ones who look alike. There are several siblings/step siblings/half siblings in the family.)

There’s a long, long, long history of arrests with another sibling.

Why were foster children in the same home with these people??? (IRL, I had assumed they were the H’s grandkids, and only found out last night via MSM that they’re foster kids.)
Quoting myself bc I can’t delete. I am wrong.

The children of the shooter (Fred) and his wife are: Seth (named in msm as the person the warrant was for), J, K (in SCDC for forgery and theft, link below), K, K, K, G, H, L. They range fm minors to adults. The latter 3 have been named as minor foster children of the family.

https://public.doc.state.sc.us/scdc-public/inmateDetails.do?id= 00352351

There are also older half siblings, S and F.
Hopkins v. Hopkins

Last edited:
From what appears to be an NBC-affiliate station:
https://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/shock-grief-follow-south-carolina-shooting/1498342577
If this coverage is accurately reported, it appears FTH was warned in advance of LE’s planned execution of the search warrant upon his home. ...explains the ample time for staging an ambush (IMO).
In essence (IMO), FTH was generously given sufficient time to not react belligerently....choices....:(:(:(
So many lives have been utterly destroyed by this senseless act.

^^^I believe this to be correct. So much going on here in town right now. Most information is being kept close to the vest. In lieu of SLED investigating, the FBI is here. There is some "bad blood" between SLED and our local Sheriff Dept, so I think this is best for all.

The coming together of our community is amazing! Elementary School hosted lunch for all of first respondents, food taken to our local emergency room trauma teams, fundraisers, vigils, free food at some restaurants for all first respondents for the next 14 days. Our schools are all wearing blue and praying at the flag poles. Heck, most of the folks I've seen today are wearing blue. Billy Graham's Mobile Ministry has been here since day one. We are lighting up the city with blue on our porches, etc. There's so much more...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back