GUILTY SC - Gabrielle Swainson, 15, Columbia, 18 Aug 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WIS has updated the story, confirming the "handyman" is her boyfriend. WTF?

http://www.wistv.com/story/19394728/lott-announces-arrest-in-gabbiee-swainsons-disappearance

"Lott said 52-year-old Freddie Grant has been charged with Gabbiee's kidnapping. Grant has been identified as Gabbiee's mother's boyfriend. "

I thought she denied this in the beginning?

Mrs Darcy: my memory is a tad rusty on this, so by hindsight- Not a denial nor an affirmation. I think Sheriff Lott, or someone else may have coached the interviews. Might be wrong on this. I heard he was arrested Sunday so where was he the days before? I hope to God not consoling Elvia! Gives me the creeps.

Mrs Darcy: my memory is a tad rusty on this, so by hindsight- Not a denial nor an affirmation. I think Sheriff Lott, or someone else may have coached the interviews. Might be wrong on this. I heard he was arrested Sunday so where was he the days before? I hope to God not consoling Elvia! Gives me the creeps.

Oh, that makes sense. I think I was reading a transcript from Nancy Grace or one of those types of shows where she denied they were together. But I c an see why they would have told her not to divulge that information. The last thing we needed was the public to lay blame with the mom before there was an arrest, I suppose.

This is devastating news. My prayers are with Gabbiee's Mom and her friends and relatives. I live about 1.5 hours away and have been watching closely hoping she is found unharmed. With the disclosure by the Sheriff that they found blood on duct tape in this monster's home, I am very concerned. Kudos to LE for their swift work in identifying her kidnapper.

I fear her mother will blame herself for this but I think we can all associate with being single and dating and maybe not knowing as much as we should about people we date? It is so sad that this sort of thing can happen. It certainly sounds like Elvia is an excellent parent.

It was allso "rumored" that Mom had a BF, or a very close friend that was the supposed handyman. When this was also rumored to be the perp I didn't want to entertain that horrible piece of "gossip" being bandied around. Feel so bad for Elvia! Can you imagine what's going on her head? On the news tonight, some neighbors of his were interviewed. NOTHING good to say. Only his sister defends him.

If I had to guess this monster was quite the "smooth operator" in courting the mother; probably with intentions from the beginning for Gabbiee. Makes me sick. Two victims in this instance.

My guess is Elvia did not know about his background. I can't imagine she'd let him anywhere near Gabbiee if she did.

I just logged on and saw the updates from today. I'm devastated for Gabbiee's family. There are no words. :(

I can't imagine what this poor mom is going through...trying so hard to make sure her daughter's life was on track, keeping her protected and not too "old" for her age, etc...and then, this...it is just sickening.

This is such sad news. I hope they find Gabbiee soon. :please: My heart breaks for her mother and family/friends. Both mother and child were victims to that .
The mother was so protective of her child but she never thought that she needed to be protective of herself.....so sad

Or maybe he overheard her talking to Gabbiee or on the phone when he was doing yardwork.

Did he come in thru an unlocked door? Maybe he came in the house earlier that day when mowing the yard for a drink or use the bathroom and unlocked a window.

This is just so tragic to happen to a watchful and caring mother. Does everything right within her power and this still happens. Just too scary to think about much. My heart and prayers go out to her.

I hope Gabbiee will find alive, but it just doesn't seem that way. This is just horrible and maddening.

**OT I can't believe NG is competing with the weather channel and covering the hurricane. JV did too, and now Dr Drew!!!! WTH is going on?
I thought for sure NG would be updating this case tonight. :banghead:

I wish this mom had done a background check on this guy before she let him into her home and her life. Then she would have known he was a career criminal. It doesn't sound good hearing about the blood on the duct tape and hearing the sherriff saying they are looking for her "body." I hope by some miracle this promising young girl is still alive but it doesn't look like it. I hope they find her soon. Her mom must be beyond devastated.

I heard an arrest had been made while at work today. I live about an hour away from Columbia, and this story has just broken my heart. I am clinging to the hope that he built a bunker somewhere and that is where Gabbie is being held. Sadly, that doesn't seem logical because if he had a bunker, he would have taken here directly there. I remember the case of Elizabeth Shoaf, who was kidnapped on her way home from school and held in a bunker that Vinson Filyaw had built for that very purpose. Elizabeth has always been one of my heroes - she was an amazing young girl. She was held captive for 10 days in an underground bunker before escaping. The Elizabeth Shoaf story happened only about 8 miles away from where Freddie Grant lived. I am hoping and praying that something similar has happened to Gabbie. Here is a link to the Elizabeth Shoaf story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23522127/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/#.UD1yddZlRvA

Did he come in thru an unlocked door? Maybe he came in the house earlier that day when mowing the yard for a drink or use the bathroom and unlocked a window.

This is just so tragic to happen to a watchful and caring mother. Does everything right within her power and this still happens. Just too scary to think about much. My heart and prayers go out to her.

I hope Gabbiee will find alive, but it just doesn't seem that way. This is just horrible and maddening.

**OT I can't believe NG is competing with the weather channel and covering the hurricane. JV did too, and now Dr Drew!!!! WTH is going on?
I thought for sure NG would be updating this case tonight. :banghead:

Maybe he had a key?

Just a thought...

I am kind of surprised that Mom wouldn't have checked into anyone she had around her daughter, since she was so careful with her, and also due to her job working in WC claims (I believe) which often involves looking into backgrounds, etc.

I cannot recall (if ever) the last time I checked out the guy delivering wood to my house, the guy checking my meters, etc..

I suppose maybe mom could have done checks on the grass guy... idk.

It seems like she knew and trusted him

It also further seems that I need to do more checks on persons that are coming within 50 feet of my own kid (I will certainly be doing this.what a wake up call)

I cannot recall (if ever) the last time I checked out the guy delivering wood to my house, the guy checking my meters, etc..

I suppose maybe mom could have done checks on the grass guy... idk.

It seems like she knew and trusted him

It also further seems that I need to do more checks on persons that are coming within 50 feet of my own kid (I will certainly be doing this.what a wake up call)

It does sound as though he was more than just a man who cut the grass, though.

I heard an arrest had been made while at work today. I live about an hour away from Columbia, and this story has just broken my heart. I am clinging to the hope that he built a bunker somewhere and that is where Gabbie is being held. Sadly, that doesn't seem logical because if he had a bunker, he would have taken here directly there. I remember the case of Elizabeth Shoaf, who was kidnapped on her way home from school and held in a bunker that Vinson Filyaw had built for that very purpose. Elizabeth has always been one of my heroes - she was an amazing young girl. She was held captive for 10 days in an underground bunker before escaping. The Elizabeth Shoaf story happened only about 8 miles away from where Freddie Grant lived. I am hoping and praying that something similar has happened to Gabbie. Here is a link to the Elizabeth Shoaf story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23522127/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/#.UD1yddZlRvA

What an amazing story. I hadn't heard her story before, so thank you for sharing it. I sure hope you're right about Gabbiee.

It does sound as though he was more than just a man who cut the grass, though.

Yes, it's been confirmed that they were in a relationship. I see two victims here. I can't imagine that Mom will ever be able to trust anyone ever again. He is truly a monster. :furious:

ETA. . .I'm betting he had a key. . .I'm also betting that Gabbie already had a gut feeling about him too. I'm not blaming Mom. I bet this guy was smooth. . .but for the love of God, listen to your children. I always try to teach my kids not to ignore that little voice inside their head. We all have gut instincts. . .they are there for a reason. . listen to them. . .no matter how stupid they make you feel rationally. It's too easy too rationalize them away. . .and then it's too late and hindsight is 20/20. :(

Yes, it's been confirmed that they were in a relationship. I see two victims here. I can't imagine that Mom will ever be able to trust anyone ever again. He is truly a monster. :furious:

ETA. . .I'm betting he had a key. . .I'm also betting that Gabbie already had a gut feeling about him too. I'm not blaming Mom. I bet this guy was smooth. . .but for the love of God, listen to your children. I always try to teach my kids not to ignore that little voice inside their head. We all have gut instincts. . .they are there for a reason. . listen to them. . .no matter how stupid they make you feel rationally. It's too easy too rationalize them away. . .and then it's too late and hindsight is 20/20. :(

Where is it confirmed? How awful....

Apologies in-advance...I've not followed this case until today and am not caught-up on its history...

hambirg, I am just working from your fine Reply, not disagreeing in the least with what you posted...

Do we know if Gabbiee ever alerted her mother to her gut feeling about this individual?

Regardless, I can see NO reason to place any blame whatsoever on her mother, not even a sideways glance.

I DO think that this horrible turn of events holds a lesson for others, a lesson Gabbiee's mom herself would have taken-to, had she only known.

In this day & age, thorough background checks are highly advisable if not essential when contemplating a relationship. Some ppl do this routinely when hiring help...All the more need when allowing the added closeness of a personal relationship.

afaik, criminal background checks cost money...but it would be the best $50 or whatever a person might EVER spend.

~jmo~

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme