SC - Gloria Satterfield, Murdaugh family housekeeper, 2018 Trip & Fall Insurance Fraud

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Wed, August 9th 2023, 6:57 AM EDT

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) — A judge Tuesday denied Alex Murdaugh's motion to rescind confessions he made about the death of his former housekeeper Gloria Satterfield. [...]

Beaufort attorney Cory Fleming’s defense team has asked a judge to grant him leniency for acknowledging his role in helping infamous ex-lawyer Alex Murdaugh plunder millions from the family of Murdaugh’s late housekeeper.

Fleming is set to become the second of Murdaugh’s convicted co-conspirators to face a possible federal prison term. U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel will decide his sentence in Charleston’s federal courthouse Aug. 15.

Fleming faces a maximum prison term of five years, but his attorney argues that he deserves less than 46 months behind bars because he pleaded guilty to his crime, has agreed to cooperate fully with prosecutors, has a clean criminal record and a long history of community involvement.

“Not only has Mr. Fleming admitted to the criminal conduct for which he is pleading guilty, he is genuinely remorseful and ashamed of his conduct,” his attorney, Deborah B. Barbier, wrote in a motion released Aug. 11. “Since he began cooperating, he has done everything possible to accept full responsibility and atone for his actions.”

The U.S. Attorney’s Office has no plans to file a sentencing recommendation for Fleming ahead of the proceeding, Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Limehouse said.

[…]

Pleading guilty to a felony May 25, Fleming said he knew Murdaugh was going to steal money belonging to the family of Murdaugh housekeeper Gloria Satterfield, even if he didn’t know the extent of the scheme.

[…]

Fleming told Gergel in May that he thought Murdaugh was going to skim about $100,000 from the $4.3 million that Murdaugh’s insurers agreed to pay to settle with Satterfield’s family.

Instead, Murdaugh, 54, allegedly stole every dollar the family was supposed to receive, one of myriad state and federal financial crimes he is accused of committing. Fleming told the judge that he thought Murdaugh wanted a cut of the attorney’s fees.

“The way he described it was he’s gonna get some of this, too,” Fleming said.

[…]

Fleming’s plea agreement with federal prosecutors doesn’t resolve the nearly two-dozen charges brought against him at the state level, including 18 related to the Satterfield case. He is scheduled to stand trial on the Satterfield-related charges on Sept. 11 at the Beaufort County Courthouse. The S.C. Attorney General’s Office has said his federal charge doesn’t affect its plans to proceed with the trial.

Beaufort attorney Cory Fleming’s defense team has asked a judge to grant him leniency for acknowledging his role in helping infamous ex-lawyer Alex Murdaugh plunder millions from the family of Murdaugh’s late housekeeper.

Fleming is set to become the second of Murdaugh’s convicted co-conspirators to face a possible federal prison term. U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel will decide his sentence in Charleston’s federal courthouse Aug. 15.

Fleming faces a maximum prison term of five years, but his attorney argues that he deserves less than 46 months behind bars because he pleaded guilty to his crime, has agreed to cooperate fully with prosecutors, has a clean criminal record and a long history of community involvement.

“Not only has Mr. Fleming admitted to the criminal conduct for which he is pleading guilty, he is genuinely remorseful and ashamed of his conduct,” his attorney, Deborah B. Barbier, wrote in a motion released Aug. 11. “Since he began cooperating, he has done everything possible to accept full responsibility and atone for his actions.”

The U.S. Attorney’s Office has no plans to file a sentencing recommendation for Fleming ahead of the proceeding, Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Limehouse said.

[…]

Pleading guilty to a felony May 25, Fleming said he knew Murdaugh was going to steal money belonging to the family of Murdaugh housekeeper Gloria Satterfield, even if he didn’t know the extent of the scheme.

[…]

Fleming told Gergel in May that he thought Murdaugh was going to skim about $100,000 from the $4.3 million that Murdaugh’s insurers agreed to pay to settle with Satterfield’s family.

Instead, Murdaugh, 54, allegedly stole every dollar the family was supposed to receive, one of myriad state and federal financial crimes he is accused of committing. Fleming told the judge that he thought Murdaugh wanted a cut of the attorney’s fees.

“The way he described it was he’s gonna get some of this, too,” Fleming said.

[…]

Fleming’s plea agreement with federal prosecutors doesn’t resolve the nearly two-dozen charges brought against him at the state level, including 18 related to the Satterfield case. He is scheduled to stand trial on the Satterfield-related charges on Sept. 11 at the Beaufort County Courthouse. The S.C. Attorney General’s Office has said his federal charge doesn’t affect its plans to proceed with the trial.

Oh, well since he is genuinely remorseful and ashamed....

All joking aside, IMO, admitting guilt and helping LE, even after the fact of a crime being committed, does mean something.

I agree with you. I would want him to get less time if he had come forward willingly (before being caught) and owned his behavior. His victims might never have gotten justice if he had not been caught. All of these men who used the misfortune of others to line their pockets, pay their green's fees, gas their boats while their trusting victims scrimped and lived basic lives (at times with less than they needed) should have severe consequences. His victims should have peace of mind that this man will never do this again, will never have access to the vulnerable again, and will live at least a mall portion of his life in the same impoverished/no choice situations that they had lived in. Most likely, he will end up at a country club farm where he won't want for anything-- counting his days to release. Good guy to people he cared about? Probably. Criminal to those who were vulnerable? Yep.

Coming forward and helping when you are caught is only meaningful by the way you begin to give restitution. Will he privately and forthrightly apologize? Or, will he just do what he is required to do in the agreement? Real actions? Or, get me out of jail early actions?

Last edited:
Murdaugh is always angling for not being responsible. And, he is always angling to fill his pockets even more. He is a disgusting human being from my perspective. JMHO.
Drew Tripp
@DrewTripp
BREAKING: Judge Gergel denies Murdaugh motion to join the Satterfields in the Nautilus insurance fraud conspiracy lawsuit. Murdaugh attorney Phil Barber says Murdaugh will now invoke statute of limitations argument in further effort to prevent judgment against him.
10:45 AM · Aug 15, 2023
·
Views

On my way to Charleston driving white knuckled to Cory Fleming’s sentencing hearing. I am loaded for bear to speak. Nothing incenses me more than a lawyer, who puts his own interests over the client and then exploits that client. I will keep you posted on the sentencing after I argue. EB

There is nothing more special than seeing justice prevail. Kudos to United States District Court Judge Richard Gergel for denying the Team Murdaugh’s bad faith attempt to drag the Satterfield’s into their dispute with Nautilis insurance company and add them as a party. Judge Gergel would have none of that. Maybe it’s time for Team Murdaugh to look inward and address their real problems instead of trying to impose blame on other innocents. EB

Just argued Corey Fleming’s sentence to the court. I was surprised how contentious it was. Nonetheless, I took the incoming from the court and Judge Gergel sentenced him to 46 months. I think Judge Gergel wanted a deterrent effect with his sentence to other attorneys. Sentence is just. This is not and considered light like Russell Laffitte’s sentence. EB

He will be given a report date and where to report. EB

I have mixed feelings about #CoryFleming getting sentenced. On the one hand, I am happy that a lawyer, who put himself over the needs of his clients and betrayed their trust is held accountable. On the other hand, I am sad because Cory Fleming’s actions stained our profession and caused lasting damage. But in the end, justice was done and our system worked. Attorneys like Mr. Fleming will continue to pay the price for their criminal acts. Rule of law inevitably will win. Can't outrun it forever. EB

Last edited:

last updated 12:06 PM, August 24, 2023

KINGSTREE, S.C. (AP) — Convicted murderer Alex Murdaugh ‘s old college buddy has pleaded guilty to a second set of charges for helping the disgraced South Carolina attorney steal millions of dollars of insurance settlements from the sons of Murdaugh’s dead housekeeper.

Cory Fleming, a 54-year-old former attorney, wasn’t immediately sentenced after his guilty plea to 23 state charges Wednesday.

How about this Folks? My partner Ronnie and I have been saying for the better part of the last year that the parties that paid the Satterfields after Alex’s theft was discovered in the fall of 2021 (Fleming, Moss Kuhn, PMPED, PSB, Westendorf and Bank of America) paid because they decided for business reasons or other reasons they didn’t want to contest the claim, and be at the same defense table with Alex Murdaugh. They paid the money not because they believed Alex, but the claims of the Satterfield’s were too explosive. Up until Alex lost the motion to vacate the confession of judgment and the motion to add the Satterfields to the Nautilus action two weeks ago, Alex denied those reasons for the settlements. Now this week all the sudden in his answer to the second amended complaint in the Nautilis action in paragraph 95, Alex states the following Nautilis’s “own file STATE that it’s suspected fraud before the claim was paid. Nautilis nonetheless paid the Satterfield claim, despite such awareness because it judged the risk of challenging Murdaugh‘s actions to be higher than the cost of settling the claim”. Just another example of Team Murdaugh, talking out of both sides of their mouth for the past two years and trying to game the system. EB

bbm

Judge Newman scheduled the Satterfield criminal trial for Alex Murdaugh to take place on November 27, 2023 in Hampton County. This will be a standalone trial, without any other financial crimes that have been charged being tried. EB

Team Murdaugh strikes again. Alex has apparently decided to appeal Judge Price’s refusal to let him take back his confession of judgment to the Satterfields. We look forward to our continued defense of the Satterfield family. There’s no decency left in their camp whatsoever, the continuation of their attempt to game the system over and over and over again. More sound and fury. EB

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0
Back