GUILTY SC - Grace Carlson-SantaCruz, 5 mos, Myrtle Beach, 3 Nov 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I could not believe the HUGE laundry list of charges this "woman" has pled guilty to in such a short amount of time. Notice one of them was "malicious injury to animals"... I've always said that people that show cruelty to animals will inevitably show the same cruelty to people. My heart breaks for what life had to be like for Baby Grace and her older sister. God bless these precious children. I pray Grace is found, but it looks far too grim. The water from all of the constant rain is just too swift and deep :(

I could not believe the HUGE laundry list of charges this "woman" has pled guilty to in such a short amount of time. Notice one of them was "malicious injury to animals"... I've always said that people that show cruelty to animals will inevitably show the same cruelty to people. My heart breaks for what life had to be like for Baby Grace and her older sister. God bless these precious children. I pray Grace is found, but it looks far too grim. The water from all of the constant rain is just too swift and deep :(

I'm an hour east and it has been pouring rain here all night and all day so far - and all that water will flow to the rivers, waterway and ocean. :(

I'm an hour east and it has been pouring rain here all night and all day so far - and all that water will flow to the rivers, waterway and ocean. :(

I'm a bit north of MB and it's been raining here for the past few days. The waterways are at flood level. So sad for baby Grace, but also making it really miserable for the searchers. Prayers for all involved.

A little O/T, and it will not help Baby Grace, but right now I have friends that are fostering a meth addicted baby, and if/when Bio-mom's rights are terminated, they will adopt her. It is Bio-mom's 3rd strike. The first baby was born addicted and adopted by the grandmother. 18 months later the 2nd addicted baby was born and grandmother asked a young couple at church to take him. They did and he has been adopted. Now another 18 months later, baby #3 is born addicted and living with the my friend, whose sister adopted the 18 month old. She is 6 weeks old. They took her home from the hospital after 7 days and are currently weaning her off of methadone. Bio-mom signed papers to have her tubes tied to avoid jail time. It is really sad that it took 3 addicted babies for her to stop. Bio-mom has not even been sentenced for charges related to baby #2 and it's been a year and a half. I don't know what needs to change. I am thankful for my friends, their family and their church. I have seen first hand how hard it is to sooth these babies.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that Baby Grace was born addicted or that mom is on drugs. It's just that after baby Chance and some of the others, and now Baby Grace - this epidemic breaks my heart. This may not be the ideal place for my post... I don't know... Just sad today.
Interesting, Razzledazzle, that they gave this woman the option of having her tubes tied for a lesser punishment. Good idea. This needs to happen more often. Then the person who chooses these behaviors is the one to face the consequences, not poor innocent children.

A little O/T, and it will not help Baby Grace, but right now I have friends that are fostering a meth addicted baby, and if/when Bio-mom's rights are terminated, they will adopt her. It is Bio-mom's 3rd strike. The first baby was born addicted and adopted by the grandmother. 18 months later the 2nd addicted baby was born and grandmother asked a young couple at church to take him. They did and he has been adopted. Now another 18 months later, baby #3 is born addicted and living with the my friend, whose sister adopted the 18 month old. She is 6 weeks old. They took her home from the hospital after 7 days and are currently weaning her off of methadone. Bio-mom signed papers to have her tubes tied to avoid jail time. It is really sad that it took 3 addicted babies for her to stop. Bio-mom has not even been sentenced for charges related to baby #2 and it's been a year and a half. I don't know what needs to change. I am thankful for my friends, their family and their church. I have seen first hand how hard it is to sooth these babies.

ETA: I'm not suggesting that Baby Grace was born addicted or that mom is on drugs. It's just that after baby Chance and some of the others, and now Baby Grace - this epidemic breaks my heart. This may not be the ideal place for my post... I don't know... Just sad today.

Thanks for your post razzledazzle. IMO it is the perfect place to post it. This is an epidemic and something needs to be done to contain it. It's breaking my heart too. I'm also feeling very sad today about these tragedies. The gloomy weather certainly doesn't help the mood.

Two SCDNR boats headed downstream Wednesday morning along with the dive team. By about 9:30 a.m., more crews showed up for the search, and some volunteers were seen in the area, wondering how they can help find Baby Grace.

Crews are working in the same area as they did yesterday, in a location about one mile to one half-mile up and down the creek and in the woods.

Other organizations assisting in the search include the CUE Center for Missing Persons, the State Law Enforcement Division, as well as officials from Darlington County and Hartsville.

They're patrolling a small concentrated area, and hope to be able to resolve this by Wednesday.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/30421331/scdnr-divers-searching-for-missing-5-month-old-missing-in-creek

At the risk of sounding silly, does anybody know for sure which way the creek behind Sims Drive would be flowing ? I assumed it would flow towards the waterway, sort of a natural runoff of sorts for the local neighborhood.........but then again.......?? This article implies they are searching both upstream and downstream, with no mention which one is which.

map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kshhbqie641Q&usp=sharing

stupid question but how cold would the water be??
did S 'wake up" due o cold water and rush back to shore?
did S leave older daughter alone in the house or take her also?
the story has changed from throwing baby Grace into the water to S wading in water with baby losing her to current.............
S still put her baby in a dangerous situation................still her fault JMOO

News at noon. http://wbtw.com/

Summary: WBTW Search continues. Crews began searching at 9:00 am this morning. Sarah said she lost her baby in rushing water behind her Sims drive home. Search is continuing in that area. Due to the current it is likely she was washed into the intracoastal waterway. They are using sonar to search the waterway.

A friend was interviewed: She was trying her best to do what is right for her children. She had some demons she needed to deal with to be the best mother. Those demons include drugs and possible postpartum depression. She has two other children.

stupid question but how cold would the water be??
did S 'wake up" due o cold water and rush back to shore?
did S leave older daughter alone in the house or take her also?
the story has changed from throwing baby Grace into the water to S wading in water with baby losing her to current.............
S still put her baby in a dangerous situation................still her fault JMOO

The ocean temperature in Myrtle Beach is currently 68 degrees, the water flowing in from the recent rains is probably a bit colder.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t63c005.php

SECTION 63-5-70. Unlawful conduct toward a child.

(A) It is unlawful for a person who has charge or custody of a child, or who is the parent or guardian of a child, or who is responsible for the welfare of a child as defined in Section 63-7-20 to:

(1) place the child at unreasonable risk of harm affecting the child's life, physical or mental health, or safety;

(2) do or cause to be done unlawfully or maliciously any bodily harm to the child so that the life or health of the child is endangered or likely to be endangered; or

(3) wilfully abandon the child.

(B) A person who violates subsection (A) is guilty of a felony and for each offense, upon conviction, must be fined in the discretion of the court or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

HISTORY: 2008 Act No. 361, Section 2.

News at noon. http://wbtw.com/

Summary: WBTW Search continues. Crews began searching at 9:00 am this morning. Sarah said she lost her baby in rushing water behind her Sims drive home. Search is continuing in that area. Due to the current it is likely she was washed into the intracoastal waterway. They are using sonar to search the waterway.

A friend was interviewed: She was trying her best to do what is right for her children. She had some demons she needed to deal with to be the best mother. Those demons include drugs and possible postpartum depression. She has two other children.

OH no! we were only worried about 1 little sibling, now 2. Maybe the other doesn't live with her. 3 children's lives ruined by 1 person. Hopefully they have loving relatives who want them.

Did LE give a weight or any description except the picture of little Grace?
I look at her photo............no age given and she is just laying there so perfect.
I think of Chance also, such sad little lives. God has to have a special heaven for these angels.
IMOO, because of the water and conditions.........I don' think LE will ever recover her tiny body.

I'm sure as the mother sobers up, her version of the story will turn into CYA.

I threw her in the water..........I dropped her in the water........I waded into the water with her and lost my grip...........I waded into the water, stepped off a ledge and was submerged.............I slipped on the bank and fell headfirst into the water, losing my grip on the baby................I can't remember everything, but it wasn't planned !!

It's funny how sobriety works.

I'm sure the final story will be that it was a complete accident, just another victim of the raging flood waters.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/30439814/missing-infants-mother-has-criminal-past

A woman, who is friends with the owner of the home on Simms Drive where Toney has been living, said she has known about Toney's drug use.

"Actually a few days before this happened, she admitted to using drugs," that woman said. She said the homeowner recently noticed something was going on with Toney.

"Days before this, the homeowner didn't know what was wrong with her, but she had been walking around mumbling. Just out of her mind. Not making any sense of anything she was saying," that woman said.

I watched a report about this on the Nancy Grace show last night. First of all, it was astounding how clueless Nancy seemed to be about the details of this case. She kept harping on the mother stating that she "dropped her baby" in the water..... why would a mother get her child close enough to the water to drop her ??, Nancy kept asking. She also appeared to have no clue that the mother has had upwards of twenty charges in the last 5 years and is an admitted drug user.

The one useful thing I did notice, was that the water flowing through this creek didn't appear to be all that fast moving and "raging", as has been reported. The video showed guys in rubber rafts and jon boats slowly paddling around as if they were out on a summer day in a city park. I guess there may have been a current of sorts, but they certainly didn't appear to be "fighting it". The water appeared to be fairly motionless for the most part. Since Nancy's information appears to be outdated, I have to assume the video may be from a day or two ago as well.

One of her guest stated that this "creek" was really not anything more than a drainage ditch, and usually only had a foot or two of water in it, and was dried up many times. I guess the silver lining in this cloud, if there is one, is that this little girls body may still be somewhere in that creek, seeing how many times there is a good amount of debri built up in those drainage ditches between storms. I'm sure they plan on searching every square foot of it until something comes to light.

Although there is a lot of healthy skepticism that maybe the mother might have done something else with her child, I think the odds of her being found alive are pretty slim. With all the heat that has come down on the mother in the last couple of days, if she knew this kid was alive and healthy somewhere, she'd be coughing that information up lickity split.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91
Back